Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think it will have a high churn rate? Mandalorian was fantastic, imagineering Story very good, liked Hamilton, but very little original content. Can’t hold a candle to Netflix.
I signed up to a £49 deal here in UK for a year but can’t see me signing up again unless they add all the 20th C Fox content.

Guess it depends what you are looking for but we also enjoyed Diary of a Future president which was original content and some of the behind the scenes stuff like for the Mandelorian. And the new season of Clone Wars was fantastic (especially the last 4 episodes)

Just had Black is King premier and Muppets Now just started ...have Howard coming this Friday. So while not a ton seems like ever month there are at least a couple or new things

Not sure of exact dates but we do have the Marvel original shows coming at some point

I watch Disney+ at least as much as Netflix - but I have young kids and find a lot of the content on Netflix is either kiddie shows or things we have to wait until the kids are in bed to watch

Watched Black is King yesterday and thought it was pretty stunning. Good variety of music as well

Also watched the first episode of Muppets Now and thought it was OK. Definitely some funny moments but something didn't quite click with it - hopefully it finds its legs

Guess it depends what you are looking for but we also enjoyed Diary of a Future president which was original content and some of the behind the scenes stuff like for the Mandelorian. And the new season of Clone Wars was fantastic (especially the last 4 episodes)

Just had Black is King premier and Muppets Now just started ...have Howard coming this Friday. So while not a ton seems like ever month there are at least a couple or new things

Not sure of exact dates but we do have the Marvel original shows coming at some point

I watch Disney+ at least as much as Netflix - but I have young kids and find a lot of the content on Netflix is either kiddie shows or things we have to wait until the kids are in bed to watch
And people have to remember, it was years for Netflix to have the amount of original programming that Disney+ has produced in their first 6 months. Netflix began streaming in 2007 and didn’t have its first original show until 2013. And even then they only put out a show or 2 a year until 2015-2016. We are just spoiled by Netflix’s back catalogue at this point, and that’s understandable as they’ve been producing content for 7 years now. Disney+ has been operational for 8 months and has a very good amount of original content in that short time span, with a lot more on the horizon.

And people have to remember, it was years for Netflix to have the amount of original programming that Disney+ has produced in their first 6 months. Netflix began streaming in 2007 and didn’t have its first original show until 2013. And even then they only put out a show or 2 a year until 2015-2016. We are just spoiled by Netflix’s back catalogue at this point, and that’s understandable as they’ve been producing content for 7 years now. Disney+ has been operational for 8 months and has a very good amount of original content in that short time span, with a lot more on the horizon.

Yeah,and when you look at the cost - I have the D23 rate so paying only $3.92/month for Disney plus vs like 4 times that for Netflix so to me Disney+ is more than worth it

Now, if one is paying more close to $10/month and doesn't have kids I can see feeling like "what am I paying for" as they aren't going to have 10 different things like the Mandelorian ready to go from day 1

Does anyone else think it will have a high churn rate? Mandalorian was fantastic, imagineering Story very good, liked Hamilton, but very little original content. Can’t hold a candle to Netflix.
I signed up to a £49 deal here in UK for a year but can’t see me signing up again unless they add all the 20th C Fox content.

It's $7 a month. There's more than enough content now and content to come to justify $7 a month.

Some people only want th eNetflix type content, i.e. bingeable, "adult" shows, but that's not what Disney+ is. For Fox content, once they have all the rights back, they still will not put anything rated above PG-13 on D+ though I assume the harder stuff could go to Hulu.

Some people only want th eNetflix type content, i.e. bingeable, "adult" shows, but that's not what Disney+ is. For Fox content, once they have all the rights back, they still will not put anything rated above PG-13 on D+ though I assume the harder stuff could go to Hulu.

We don’t get Hulu in UK.

Yes but this is immaterial as it’s what Disney+ is now competing with. You can’t now come to market and compete, without a competing product, just because it took the innovator years to get there. Otherwise Tesla would be selling a gas car only available in black.
To me I see no great lineup of new shows coming. Many think the same. Whereas on Netflix I’ve just watched Umbrella Academy and many others in lockdown.
It’ll have huge churn unless it picks up- at the moment the value is really there long term if you have kids or love watching old Disney movies.

Yes but this is immaterial as it’s what Disney+ is now competing with. You can’t now come to market and compete, without a competing product, just because it took the innovator years to get there. Otherwise Tesla would be selling a gas car only available in black.
To me I see no great lineup of new shows coming. Many think the same. Whereas on Netflix I’ve just watched Umbrella Academy and many others in lockdown.
It’ll have huge churn unless it picks up- at the moment the value is really there long term if you have kids or love watching old Disney movies.

Or if you like behinds the scenes stories, old comic book cartoons, Star Wars, The Simpsons, National Geographic...

But, Disney+ is not really the same as Netflix - and yes they do compete somewhat, but they are also targeted at different markets. Netflix has kids programming, but they focus heavily on adult programs. Disney+ does not - they will never have anything with an R rating, or any graphic depictions on the service. They came to the table with an archive of the best family entertainment around and hit their sweet-spot of young families quite well. They have the programming and have been an unmitigated success so far. It does stink that some shows have gotten delayed due to the pandemic, but that is what it is.

We don’t get Hulu in UK.

They'll eventually have to come up with a solution there. Disney does own a lot of content that is not D+ friendly and while Hulu seems like the logical home, they might try to launch something different, or just get Hulu in the UK too.

The streaming world was literally just starting to gain popularity when Netflix started and people forget we were limited in large part to bandwidth issues and a newer concept of streaming services as opposed to a DVD model that was dominating after VHS was phased out.

I think for some people they take the criticize towards Disney+ on a personal level (general comment not aimed at any one poster). Any streaming service that doesn't have a robust service launched these days will likely get criticize towards its catalog and offerings. That is very valid. Heck Hallmark Movies Now got lambasted for not having content newer than 2 years when it was first launched. Now..now it does have newer content :)

No reason to try and compare to a service that started 13yrs ago when we at my house still had dial up and I didn't even have a cell phone, if you did have a cell phone it was a flip phone often with no internet unless you paid $$$$ and had snake game on it. Truly we've come a long way since then and the public expects certain services these days especially when streaming is part of many people's everyday lives now. It was a different world when Netflix launched streaming so it becomes an unbalanced argument IMO to compare what Netflix had back when it started when the technology and industry was just in its infancy.

I think we'll probably still keep Disney+ after our 1 year promotional paid period is up with Verizon but I completely get and see the limitations to it. I'm okay with knowing that :)

We were excited for the new Muppets show. The first episode was a huge let down. Not very good at all.
kinda felt the same way. It was nice seeing the muppets again. But, the Miss Piggy segment just felt mean. I'll give another few chances. If it keeps stinking, I'll have to cut it loose like the Jeff Goldblum series (I like Jeff, the series, not so much)

kinda felt the same way. It was nice seeing the muppets again. But, the Miss Piggy segment just felt mean. I'll give another few chances. If it keeps stinking, I'll have to cut it loose like the Jeff Goldblum series (I like Jeff, the series, not so much)

To be fair, Miss Piggy segments have always been like that. She thinks she's perfect and tears down others to prove it, while everyone else is in on the fact that she is far from it and make snide remarks about her weight and her being a "pig" - either subtly so she doesn't notice, or she does notice and gives them that sneer and threatens them with a "Watch it, bub!" It's pretty much the character from the beginning.

Last edited:
To be fair, Miss Piggy segments have alwyas been like that. She thinks she's perfect and tears down others to prove it, while everyone else is in on the fact that she is far from it and make snide remarks about her weight and her being a "pig" - either subtly so she doesn't notice, or she does notice and gives them that sneer and threatens them with a "Watch it, bub!" It's pretty much the character from the beginning.
Oh, I know the characters... The Muppet show was a "must watch" when I was a kid. Usually, there's an arc of some kind where it's an attitude, that fits the story. Maybe it just wasn't fully sorted. I'll give the series a chance. I really want to see the muppets succeed. And, I'd love to see more presence in the parks.

Oh, I know the characters... The Muppet show was a "must watch" when I was a kid. Usually, there's an arc of some kind where it's an attitude, that fits the story. Maybe it just wasn't fully sorted. I'll give the series a chance. I really want to see the muppets succeed. And, I'd love to see more presence in the parks.

I guess what I'm saying is that Miss Piggy bits have always been kinda mean. It's a little surprising they still do them considering current sensibilities.

My favorite Miss Piggy bit is when Christopher Reeve was on The Muppet Show. He was Superman and Miss Piggy wanted to be Lois Lane. When they go to do the flying scene, he can't lift her. Because she's so heavy. 😏 It's pretty funny, but dang!

Last edited:
They'll eventually have to come up with a solution there. Disney does own a lot of content that is not D+ friendly and while Hulu seems like the logical home, they might try to launch something different, or just get Hulu in the UK too.

Yes I agree with posts saying they have a different market to some extent but they need an all encompassing service- maybe one payment for both- then separated off at a menu.

Yes I agree with posts saying they have a different market to some extent but they need an all encompassing service- maybe one payment for both- then separated off at a menu.

Well, here you can bundle Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ all together. You probably don't get ESPN+ either so thats not an option there.

There is a ton of original programming coming. It just depends what you like. I love Netflix but they throw up a lot of "original content" that is crap.

Go down to the Upcoming section.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney+_original_programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter