Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-1306919?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Disney+ has thus far attracted over 60 million subscribers, and the trade explains that "[Disney] would need to sell 29 million units to equal $1 billion in global box office grosses. That estimate, however, excludes theatrical revenue from the markets where it can play in cinemas; the benefit of drawing new Disney+ subscribers; and the potential to monetize by windowing Mulan on third-party PVOD platforms."

Variety held a poll that garnered 94,000 voters and more than 85% of voters said they will not pay an extra $29.99 for Mulan.

Also, how many of the 94k polled are Disney subscribers? That makes a huge difference. If its 94K subscribers, thats concerning. If its not, then the poll is pretty much irrelevant. The article posted said that 19% of polled subscribers are very interested in paying for Mulan while another 23% are somewhat interested. If even half of the somewhat interested make the purchase, that is 18 million potentially which is $539 million in revenue without the theaters getting a cut.

The budget was $200 million for the movie and they will not have the huge marketing expenses that normal Disney movies get. I am guessing they only need 10-11 million subscribers to make the purchase to turn a profit.

Also, how many of the 94k polled are Disney subscribers? That makes a huge difference. If its 94K subscribers, thats concerning. If its not, then the poll is pretty much irrelevant.

How many people polled about whether or not they’d go to a theme park right now are theme park enthusiasts? I think it was 78% of people said they wouldn’t go to a theme park right now, but who were those 78%? They didnt poll me, I would have said yes. Did they poll a lot of people that make negative comments towards adults that go to Disney?

That’s the thing with polls, they’re all irrelevant because they’re seldom to be taken by the right demographic

But with this poll, its not as irrelevant because 94% is still 94%. Signing up for D+ is accessible to everyone. And unless you got the free year from verizon, or the D23 deal, everyone is going to pay the same $37 price tag. Either you’re willing to pay the price for the movie, or you’re not.

How many people polled about whether or not they’d go to a theme park right now are theme park enthusiasts? I think it was 78% of people said they wouldn’t go to a theme park right now, but who were those 78%? They didnt poll me, I would have said yes. Did they poll a lot of people that make negative comments towards adults that go to Disney?

That’s the thing with polls, they’re all irrelevant because they’re seldom to be taken by the right demographic

But with this poll, its not as irrelevant because 94% is still 94%. Signing up for D+ is accessible to everyone. And unless you got the free year from verizon, or the D23 deal, everyone is going to pay the same $37 price tag. Either you’re willing to pay the price for the movie, or you’re not.

What you said makes zero sense. If there was a nationwide poll that asked if you will go to a Patriots game and 99% said no, does that mean they will have poor attendance? But if you polled the New England states with the same question would it be the same answer?

Are a majority of D+ subscribers going to purchase Mulan? No, but I will bet with way higher than the 15% number you are throwing out there.

What you said makes zero sense. If there was a nationwide poll that asked if you will go to a Patriots game and 99% said no, does that mean they will have poor attendance? But if you polled the New England states with the same question would it be the same answer?

Are a majority of D+ subscribers going to purchase Mulan? No, but I will bet with way higher than the 15% number you are throwing out there.

I hope they do, but $30 is a lot. 15% of the 60,000,000 subscribers is almost 1 million people, thats easily going to happen. Now if we’re talking 15% of the population that has access to Disney+? No chance. Pirating is going to take over by the end of the 1st weekend

I honestly don't care if people decide to pay for Mulan or not. Disney doesnt have much of a choice they have to get the movie out there. If it works for them, then good for them. I hope it does. Maybe they will learn a lesson and if they have to do it again they will price it a little lower.

To be fair not everyone has access to just travel to Foxboro at the drop of a dime.

Anyone with internet can log in and buy Mulan so that's not a fair comparison.

I see your point about the polls. I'm not sure how scientific it was, but 94% is pretty jarring.

But who knows. I would have said heck no to paying $20 for trolls a few weeks before it actually was an option and I hit buy.......

IMO this doesn't go "well". I think the price tag is just too much. I'm predicting a soft number and a platform roll out during Holiday season to "save face".

Time will tell.

Honestly I'm mixed on the price. I do feel it is too high, but if a standard 48 hour rental for PVOD is $20, then just $10 more to essentially own it seems to fair. I feel like this is why it was priced how it was, but the sticker shock is what people see though.

Honestly I'm mixed on the price. I do feel it is too high, but if a standard 48 hour rental for PVOD is $20, then just $10 more to essentially own it seems to fair. I feel like this is why it was priced how it was, but the sticker shock is what people see though.

Even though you get to keep it for most likely at least 3 months before everyone else, it's still a steep "gamble". Because if you don't like it, how many times are you gonna re watch it over those 3 months?

I think if early reviews are really good, it will help the situation, obviously.

But I wouldn't pay $30 for a blue ray of a movie I've never seen....

Not saying it's right one way or another. Just an observation.

Even though you get to keep it for most likely at least 3 months before everyone else, it's still a steep "gamble". Because if you don't like it, how many times are you gonna re watch it over those 3 months?

I think if early reviews are really good, it will help the situation, obviously.

But I wouldn't pay $30 for a blue ray of a movie I've never seen....

Not saying it's right one way or another. Just an observation.

Are you sure it is only 3 months? Isn't there typically a longer wait between when movies debut in theaters and then when they are available on a string service?

What if it is a year and not 3 months?

Are you sure it is only 3 months? Isn't there typically a longer wait between when movies debut in theaters and then when they are available on a string service?

We don’t know how long the wait will be. Disney is staying very quiet on that issue. I actually think they’d be smart to announce that it won‘t be available for free for a year or so. That would make more people look to purchase it. By being silent, more are thinking it’ll be like Onward or Rise of Skywalker and hit Disney+ much quicker than normal.

Part of it I think is this is just new to people

I equate it a bit to how when I was in college Napster was at its height so everyone got every song download for free. Then you had to adjust to paying per song download. This is similar in to date Disney was putting everything on to Disney+ with no extra charge, but now they are giving you something that wasn't planned to go straight there and so they are charging for it

I think over time people will get used to it (be it things going only straight to streaming or if they do duel release to Disney+ and theaters) - and some people will do it and some won't, but the sticker shock element will fade

No not sure at all. Just my guess.

As someone else pointed out I think they are being vague to give themselves wiggle room.

If it doesn't do well, they release it site wide in an effort to further boost subscriptions early.

If it does really well, they hold the site wide release as long as its performing at $30 a pop, or maybe start scaling back pricing while still withholding it from site wide release as I think you may have mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Part of it I think is this is just new to people

I equate it a bit to how when I was in college Napster was at its height so everyone got every song download for free. Then you had to adjust to paying per song download. This is similar in to date Disney was putting everything on to Disney+ with no extra charge, but now they are giving you something that wasn't planned to go straight there and so they are charging for it

I think over time people will get used to it (be it things going only straight to streaming or if they do duel release to Disney+ and theaters) - and some people will do it and some won't, but the sticker shock element will fade

People are probably tired of hearing the Trolls comparisons, but that did further push the envelope. There have been PPV events for years but this was the first successful $20 strait to VOD. I had sticker shock at that as I was used to the $5.99 VOD rental price. I was able to overcome that obviously, but there were contributing factors - namely "Can I just get 2 hours to finish this spreadsheet during this pandemic" lol.

Mulan at $30 is just a further push on that price point. I think it's a little quick to push it up, and for this consumer it's a bridge too far, but I understand there is more value as you will be getting a lot more than 48 hours than the previous record setter.

If this movie gets rave reviews, then I think it does have a chance to be more successful than I am predicting and we don't see it released site wide for some time.

You really think they'll hold off on a DVD/Blu-ray for that long? Once there you've lost most of your edge.

A year of a high price tag on a service you already pay for monthly/yearly/whatever..seems like a slap in the face.

Non-uber Disney fans I know won't even touch paying that price tag; there's also a thread on the Community Board and people are for the most part 'nope' with some 'yup' others 'maybe if it was lower'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter