Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think they'll hold off on a DVD/Blu-ray for that long? Once there you've lost most of your edge.

A year of a high price tag on a service you already pay for monthly/yearly/whatever..seems like a slap in the face.

Non-uber Disney fans I know won't even touch paying that price tag; there's also a thread on the Community Board and people are for the most part 'nope' with some 'yup' others 'maybe if it was lower'

I'd say 6 months max with it being withheld from site wide release, even though I'm predicting a Holiday season rollout, so 3 months after release.

One thing they have to be mindful of are future releases. If they just dump this 1 month into it, the next one people are going to think "if I just wait a month".....

But again who knows. People bought Onward knowing it was coming on the service in 2 weeks time.

You really think they'll hold off on a DVD/Blu-ray for that long? Once there you've lost most of your edge.

A year of a high price tag on a service you already pay for monthly/yearly/whatever..seems like a slap in the face.

Non-uber Disney fans I know won't even touch paying that price tag; there's also a thread on the Community Board and people are for the most part 'nope' with some 'yup' others 'maybe if it was lower'

The Blu-ray release may come sooner, maybe three months or so, but at $24.99 (maybe a little less for the first week) I don't think that will rankle too many of the streaming purchasers. It will end up on D+ eventually, which will negate the value, but I think that will be more than 6 months later. The price still makes sense when compared to a night out at the theater for a family which is what they are trying to emulate. It doen't make sense for a solo viewer. I would have spent 12 to 18 on it (18 for IMAX) to see it in theaters - and I had planned to. Maybe if I could get a firend or two to split the cost, we'd get it. It's not too different from folks all going in on a pay-per-view sporting event really, and those cost way more. I don't think it is ideal, but they are trying something and I do think there will be plenty of people who do take them up on the offer.

The Blu-ray release may come sooner, maybe three months or so, but at $24.99 (maybe a little less for the first week) I don't think that will rankle too many of the streaming purchasers. It will end up on D+ eventually, which will negate the value, but I think that will be more than 6 months later. The price still makes sense when compared to a night out at the theater for a family which is what they are trying to emulate. It doen't make sense for a solo viewer. I would have spent 12 to 18 on it (18 for IMAX) to see it in theaters - and I had planned to. Maybe if I could get a firend or two to split the cost, we'd get it. It's not too different from folks all going in on a pay-per-view sporting event really, and those cost way more. I don't think it is ideal, but they are trying something and I do think there will be plenty of people who do take them up on the offer.

I wish they would simultaneously role this out to theaters like drive ins.

For some reason I wouldn't pay $30 to watch it and keep it on my service but would be more inclined to pay $60 or whatever it comes to with snacks and such to get everyone out of the house and go see it there.

We did it for the Goonies and ET so why not? lol

Aren't we talking about Mulan? It's already being added to Disney+. I thought the conversation was centered around it would become free for streaming.

With Blu-ray/DVD you own the video for life. You're not getting early access to it, you don't lose access to it (well unless you lose the disc and don't have it uploaded on digital) if you stop the streaming service. It's really two different things here--paying for early access and if you drop the service your access to the content is gone and having access to it for however long you have the disc (digital download if that is done).

Respectfully just because there is something that exists that you pay for access to does not immediately and always make it comparable to something else so I wouldn't compare it to pay-per-view (I mean I get where you're going with that but to me they are way different things). You can't be both revolutionary and at the same time just like something else.

I wish they would simultaneously role this out to theaters like drive ins.

For some reason I wouldn't pay $30 to watch it and keep it on my service but would be more inclined to pay $60 or whatever it comes to with snacks and such to get everyone out of the house and go see it there.

We did it for the Goonies and ET so why not? lol
If Mulan was going to theaters we would have gone (and theaters are opening up soon/some already opened/drive-ins already opened), with Mulan costing money in the Disney+ service we won't see it until sometime in the future (either the library gets the disc or it's free in the streaming service). And I really want to see Mulan, it's not for lack of interest. I'm just not willing to pay $30 to see it such that its being rolled out. I agree would have been nice to have it rolled out to venues that could show it.

Aren't we talking about Mulan? It's already being added to Disney+. I thought the conversation was centered around it would become free for streaming.

With Blu-ray/DVD you own the video for life. You're not getting early access to it, you don't lose access to it (well unless you lose the disc and don't have it uploaded on digital) if you stop the streaming service. It's really two different things here--paying for early access and if you drop the service your access to the content is gone and having access to it for however long you have the disc (digital download if that is done).

Respectfully just because there is something that exists that you pay for access to does not immediately and always make it comparable to something else so I wouldn't compare it to pay-per-view (I mean I get where you're going with that but to me they are way different things). You can't be both revolutionary and at the same time just like something else.

I meant included with Disney+ - not the premium window. Eventually it will be. And, yeah, it's not exactly the same as a pay-per-view, but it is the closest thing to compare to. That's why I said it's "not too different" - yeah, obviously we are in uncharted waters here, but we can look at similar things as we all theorize about how successful it will be. Disney obviously thinks they are going to do well, and I think it's likely. They may tweak for future releases depending on the level of success, but I think we are going to see more and more of this kind of stuff from all of the studios.

I find this all very interesting. It seems to me they priced Mulan for a family of 4, which is typically how the U.S. does family things. As someone with a family of 5, it's amazing how much harder the last kid makes everything. From car seats to restaurants to coupons. Just about everything family related is done in a family of 4. So Mulan costs just under $8 a person. The average movie ticket price in the U.S. is about $9.25.

Now there is a difference between home and theater obviously, though I know plenty of people these days with awfully nice home setups that probably wouldn't notice too much. Sitting 8 feet from an 84" tv with massive surround sound isn't too much different than sitting 50' from a 50' screen.

But you also get to weigh the difference in popcorn, soda, and bathroom breaks, plus the ability to rewatch multiple times.

Personally, for my family, $30 is a bargain. We have a solid home tv setup, not great, but decent sound and a decent tv. So this goes from being a $50 expenditure to a $30 expenditure and we can watch it more than once.

I think anyone with a family can see the value here if they are interested in Mulan. We had no interest in Trolls, but if we did, the value proposition was certainly there. If I was still a single guy looking for a date night? Or even a pre-kids married guy, this idea wouldn't fire me up too much. Part of dating is going out. But for a family guy? This is definitely my kind of thing.

I meant included with Disney+ - not the premium window. Eventually it will be. And, yeah, it's not exactly the same as a pay-per-view, but it is the closest thing to compare to. That's why I said it's "not too different" - yeah, obviously we are in uncharted waters here, but we can look at similar things as we all theorize about how successful it will be. Disney obviously thinks they are going to do well, and I think it's likely. They may tweak for future releases depending on the level of success, but I think we are going to see more and more of this kind of stuff from all of the studios.
I wasn't commenting on success or no success just people's interest level and how long it would take to be free :)

Disney obviously thinks they are going to do well--yes well they thought putting $700 tents in MK would work lol..that didn't last. I'm sure it'll make them money, I'm not arguing that point. But I also think that taking a year to put something free on their service (meaning it's not Hulu or Netflix buying the rights to something) seems like a slap in the face especially with a blu-ray/dvd release and the contingencies placed on the purchase through Disney+.

But I could see 3-6 months. To me really depends on how this fall and holiday season shapes up both with the virus, people's behaviors (going out/staying in). More than 6 months would signal something else is up IMO.

I find this all very interesting. It seems to me they priced Mulan for a family of 4, which is typically how the U.S. does family things. As someone with a family of 5, it's amazing how much harder the last kid makes everything. From car seats to restaurants to coupons. Just about everything family related is done in a family of 4. So Mulan costs just under $8 a person. The average movie ticket price in the U.S. is about $9.25.

Now there is a difference between home and theater obviously, though I know plenty of people these days with awfully nice home setups that probably wouldn't notice too much. Sitting 8 feet from an 84" tv with massive surround sound isn't too much different than sitting 50' from a 50' screen.

But you also get to weigh the difference in popcorn, soda, and bathroom breaks, plus the ability to rewatch multiple times.

Personally, for my family, $30 is a bargain. We have a solid home tv setup, not great, but decent sound and a decent tv. So this goes from being a $50 expenditure to a $30 expenditure and we can watch it more than once.

I think anyone with a family can see the value here if they are interested in Mulan. We had no interest in Trolls, but if we did, the value proposition was certainly there. If I was still a single guy looking for a date night? Or even a pre-kids married guy, this idea wouldn't fire me up too much. Part of dating is going out. But for a family guy? This is definitely my kind of thing.

I hear you on the family of 5 struggle, lol.

I think the value is there for some people. If you were going to see it anyway I get it. For us I like the "experience" of getting out to see the movie so the pricepoint has to be even lower for me to click buy at home for the tradeoff, if that makes any sense.

That's what we were talking about on the other thread. There are a lot of us that just don't fall into that category of the 2 parents 2 kids OR who would be going to the movies with. People may have kids but that's not who they are going to the movies with or to a specific movie with.

Car seats though? How old are your kids to see a PG-13 movie that doesn't seem to be meant to appeal to the young young ones? Random questions there lol

I wasn't commenting on success or no success just people's interest level and how long it would take to be free :)

Disney obviously thinks they are going to do well--yes well they thought putting $700 tents in MK would work lol..that didn't last. I'm sure it'll make them money, I'm not arguing that point. But I also think that taking a year to put something free on their service (meaning it's not Hulu or Netflix buying the rights to something) seems like a slap in the face especially with a blu-ray/dvd release and the contingencies placed on the purchase through Disney+.

But I could see 3-6 months. To me really depends on how this fall and holiday season shapes up both with the virus, people's behaviors (going out/staying in). More than 6 months would signal something else is up IMO.

I don't see it as "a slap in the face" though - it would be no different than if you saw it in theaters. There, you see it ONCE for a higher price-tag than you paid to stream it as much as you want during the window (again, for multiple people). I agree that they need to give enough of a window for there to be value there, but I'm sure they will. In more than 6 months when it does enter the included tier of D+ I don't think people who watched and enjoyed it will regret their purchase.

I don't see it as "a slap in the face" though - it would be no different than if you saw it in theaters. There, you see it ONCE for a higher price-tag than you paid to stream it as much as you want during the window (again, for multiple people). I agree that they need to give enough of a window for there to be value there, but I'm sure they will. In more than 6 months when it does enter the included tier of D+ I don't think people who watched and enjoyed it will regret their purchase.

I don't see it as a slight either.

It's just very ambitious IMO.

That's what we were talking about on the other thread. There are a lot of us that just don't fall into that category of the 2 parents 2 kids OR who would be going to the movies with. People may have kids but that's not who they are going to the movies with or to a specific movie with.

Carseats though? How old are your kids to see a PG-13 movie that doesn't seem to be meant to appeal to the young young ones? Random questions there lol
Oh we are past the car seats stage. Though just barely with 11 and 9 year olds! It's amazing how long kids are expected to be in car seats or boosters these days. But more from the perspective of fitting 3 huge car seats across a backseat. A "family" sedan isn't going to do it and when they get older 3 across just leads to bickering in anything smaller than a tank.

But that's not staying on target. We watch PG-13 movies with our kids, though only ones we've vetted. I'm pretty sure we will let them watch Mulan. They've seen most of the Marvel movies at this point with us. It became a quarantine Friday night thing somehow...

Oh we are past the car seats stage. Though just barely with 11 and 9 year olds! It's amazing how long kids are expected to be in car seats or boosters these days. But more from the perspective of fitting 3 huge car seats across a backseat. A "family" sedan isn't going to do it and when they get older 3 across just leads to bickering in anything smaller than a tank.

But that's not staying on target. We watch PG-13 movies with our kids, though only ones we've vetted. I'm pretty sure we will let them watch Mulan. They've seen most of the Marvel movies at this point with us. It became a quarantine Friday night thing somehow...

Goodbye Sante Fe hello Odyssey, lol

Oh, it definitely is - and the price may be slightly high, but then again Disney movies always have a slight premium. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Like I said I am for some reason so fascinated to see how this goes.

More than I should be.

pretty much. when the twins came we bought the minivan. i have an old facebook post from that day lamenting the first time i pulled it into the garage.

I fought it hard. Now I find myself driving it over the Camry when I'm by myself, lol.

Oh I used to watch PG-13 movies myself when I was younger :) ..I just remember people being all up in arms about some of the movies Disney has released with the content and then I would go to the rating and think...well it said it in there lol

I gotcha on the car seats. You're talking about booster seats..I saw car seats in your prior comment and was thinking younger children (hence my comment about the movie not likely to appeal to young young children) but I gotcha now :)

I'm not sure you saw what I was talking about. I literally was ONLY talking about the year time frame brought up by another poster. My exact words were "A year of a high price tag on a service you already pay for monthly/yearly/whatever..seems like a slap in the face." That's where the slap in the face comment is coming into play. I didn't say them doing this was a slap in the face. I said waiting for a year to make it free on an already paid service would be :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter