• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney to start charging for bags

Now, see, not everyone tossed the old, plastic bags in the trash once home. I always reused them, for packing lunches, trash can liners, carrying my handwork projects, whatever. Now people are using the bags that they have to pay for in that manner, something that should probably have been promoted all along.

Another thought, I always felt that part of the cost of shopping at any given store (that provided bags) had the cost of those bags already figured into their bottom line. Now it's pretty much double dipping, getting more money from the consumer for nothing.

Where I live you can still get a plastic bag at any store, but it will cost you 5 cents a bag. I only end up paying when I’ve forgotten to have a bag with me. I have one of the cute self-pocketing reusable bags in every purse, backpack, etc.

I have no problem with paying an incremental amount to not be creating additional garbage. I do not line my small garbage bins with plastic; only the main kitchen bin has a plastic bag in it.

Why does anyone think that it isn't about the money? That is the million dollar question. Yet there are plenty of people who think Disney should be a social service agency rather than a money hungry corporation whose only goal is to maximize profits.

Of course it's about money. There are individuals who are exceptionally wealthy from producing single-use products, like straws, shopping bags, cups, etc. They take part of this money and bribe....I mean lobby politicians to make sure there aren't laws to ban plastics. Then they take a little more money and create marketing campaigns to make people mad they can't drink out of a straw or get free shopping bags. Of course, they don't care about anything except making more money so they can own their own cruise ship. If it wasn't for these people we would be much further along in phasing out single-use plastics.

I believe Disney is trying to be environmentally conscious. Of course, there is a bottom line component to this approach. They serve millions of guests every year and that is a lot of trash. They need to be at the forefront of fixing the problem. When this trash situation becomes a problem nobody can ignore, then at least Disney can boast about innovations they took on their own. Sure, it's a profit generated approach but at least it's a step in the right direction. We can't sit back and say, "nope, that won't 100% fix the problem" and instead say "this 10% solution should inspire others."

Ack. Am I the only person who has noticed that the more “environmentally friendly” we get, the more trash we make? Also, we don’t reuse nearly as many things as we used to. Finally, has anyone ever given two thoughts about how things are recycled (hint: it takes electricity which is made by burning fossil fuels)? Or that plastic, when broken down creates noxious fumes?

The most biodegradable option (also highly reusable) are paper bags. Yet, companies don’t go back to using them, because they costs the companies more money than plastic does. Instead, they promote “reusable” bags and pass the costs on to consumers. The reusable bags don’t last forever so more and more will eventually fill the trash heaps and because they are coated in plastic will take much longer to break down than paper sacks (you know, the kind that used to come FREE from every store?).

So, customers are once again being charged more and given less. AND the companies have convinced consumers that it’s not about the money (which it IS—it is ALWAYS about the money).

My gripe is that we used to get food in glass, cardboard, foil and occasionally some waxed paper.

Now, we get plastic, plastic, plastic-coated paper, more plastic and styrofoam. Just look at the packaging the next time you shop. How many times do you have to take something out of plastic? Or what about those horrible clamshell plastic packages you have to cut open to get the product out? Even Hershey bars went to those weird foil colored plastic wrappers instead of the paper and foil they used to used to use. Yet, the uproar from environmental groups always seems to be about bags or straws — never about things like packaging that actually has a much larger impact.

Sorry about the rant, but these threads come up all the time with people congratulating themselves for being so environmentally conscious and defending the companies. The companies are NOT making these decisions for the environment. They are thinking about profit first and PR second. For them, a decision like this is win-win.

I would be more convinced if they’d go back to free paper sacks.
I agree with you. I wondered 5 years ago why they didn't go back to paper. I remember going to a grocery store and hearing, "paper or plastic?" I guess that isn't economically or environmentally feasible, though it has to be better than plastic. The reusable shopping bags are definitely hit or miss. We got some (even from DCL) that lasted maybe 2 trips to the store. Others are very durable and we've had for years. If we can tip this momentum from plastic, then the quality of bags will get better. Or maybe a better idea will come along.

I agree on packaging. It really annoys me how much useless packaging we get. Totally a waste. People target things like straws and shopping bags because they are ubiquitous. If you attack the stuff everyone knows in their daily life you can tip the scales and go after all of the other wasteful plastic.

I like the idea of re-usable bags

That said - with the massive margins Disney carry, I believe this should be absorbed into their cost of sale rather than nickel and diming over a bag

Of course it's about money. There are individuals who are exceptionally wealthy from producing single-use products, like straws, shopping bags, cups, etc. They take part of this money and bribe....I mean lobby politicians to make sure there aren't laws to ban plastics. Then they take a little more money and create marketing campaigns to make people mad they can't drink out of a straw or get free shopping bags. Of course, they don't care about anything except making more money so they can own their own cruise ship. If it wasn't for these people we would be much further along in phasing out single-use plastics.

For everyone on the side of single-use, there's a company getting rich on people's need to feel better about doing something for the environment (e.g., Solyndra [and whoever's making the "reusable" bags everyone's raving about]). Everyone's all about the money.

Another thought, I always felt that part of the cost of shopping at any given store (that provided bags) had the cost of those bags already figured into their bottom line. Now it's pretty much double dipping, getting more money from the consumer for nothing.

Right. Just like how we pay the same prices at Target when we use self-checkout. We’re scanning and bagging ourselves, thus removing the cost of the cashier from the equation and reducing Target’s overhead, yet we don’t get a break in price? And no, I don’t believe those self-checkout machines have upfront or ongoing maintenance costs anywhere near the cost of onboarding and employing a human.

I have no issue with Disney/DCL if it is genuinely trying to go green with this policy, however, it's really nothing more than another opportunity for it to save some money (no need to provide plastic bags) and make more money (sale of reuseable bags), with eco-friendliness just a bonus. If it's not about money at all, DCL should give a nominal credit (some retailers do) to encourage more use of reuseable bags already in circulation instead of sell one to put another in circulation. As someone mentioned already, the reusable bags are made with plastic as well.

LAX

Right. Just like how we pay the same prices at Target when we use self-checkout. We’re scanning and bagging ourselves, thus removing the cost of the cashier from the equation and reducing Target’s overhead, yet we don’t get a break in price? And no, I don’t believe those self-checkout machines have upfront or ongoing maintenance costs anywhere near the cost of onboarding and employing a human.
The cost of the machines might not make the difference, but the amount of goods that walk out the door without being scanned does. We have stores here that used to have self-checkout, but got rid of it. Likewise, we have stores here that used to charge for bags, but got rid of it because too much product was walking out the door. Personnel couldn't tell if you'd paid for it or not.

The cost of the machines might not make the difference, but the amount of goods that walk out the door without being scanned does. We have stores here that used to have self-checkout, but got rid of it. Likewise, we have stores here that used to charge for bags, but got rid of it because too much product was walking out the door. Personnel couldn't tell if you'd paid for it or not.

I see your point, but you’d think if that were the case across the board then all businesses would have gotten rid of these machines long ago.

I mean, there are so many costs involved with employing a human besides just wages. There must be a net-positive margin for businesses to continue to keeping these machines around.

but got rid of it because too much product was walking out the door.

I think in the near future many stores will start using the Amazon system. There is no checkout at their stores in Seattle. You just walk in and pick up whatever you want. There is no checkout. They can figure out what is in your cart when you are walking out the door.

I think in the near future many stores will start using the Amazon system. There is no checkout at their stores in Seattle. You just walk in and pick up whatever you want. There is no checkout. They can figure out what is in your cart when you are walking out the door.
You may be right. Although, I'm not sure I'd like that. Sometimes the price that rings up isn't the one that was advertised and I want the ability to review my purchases. It's hard enough now when you have to be bagging while the cashier is ringing things up. But if there are reliable (RELIABLE!!!! I'm looking at you, Walmart!) ways to check the prices beforehand, then it would be fine. The checkout is where most people hate to wait anyway. They can take an hour choosing their purchases, but hate standing for 5 minutes in a line to check out.

Curious. How the heck can they do that with produce that needs to be weighed?

Curious. How the heck can they do that with produce that needs to be weighed?
Probably pre-packaged items with a specific weight assigned.
gettyimages-466696262-1542742395.jpg

I like the idea of re-usable bags

That said - with the massive margins Disney carry, I believe this should be absorbed into their cost of sale rather than nickel and diming over a bag

I think the idea behind charging is to limit the number of bags. I relate it to an open bar at a wedding. When drinks are free many people will just walk back to the bar to get another rather than finishing the one they have or be conscious of where they set it down. By charging 1 or 2 $ it balances the cost and makes people more aware as to what they have.
If the bags where priced in to the cost then every purchase would have a bag. To me, that defeats the purpose of reduction. While the bags may not be entirely environmentally friendly there are more so than the current bags they use. And since they are reusable the hope is that this will cut down on the overall number of bags used. We've had the same 6 or 7 reusable grocery bags for the past 7ish years. Yes at some point they'll end up in the landfill but at least its not 7ish new plastic bags week in and week out for the past 7 years.

I'm also of the belief that two conflicting ideas can co-exist. A company can make an environmental decision that benefits them more financially. No different than me choosing the same options. I use LED lights over incandescent. The main reason is it saves me money; but, It is also better for the environment so win-win.

I believe Disney is trying to be environmentally conscious. Of course, there is a bottom line component to this approach. They serve millions of guests every year and that is a lot of trash. They need to be at the forefront of fixing the problem. When this trash situation becomes a problem nobody can ignore, then at least Disney can boast about innovations they took on their own. Sure, it's a profit generated approach but at least it's a step in the right direction. We can't sit back and say, "nope, that won't 100% fix the problem" and instead say "this 10% solution should inspire others."

If Disney really wanted to be at the forefront of fixing this problem, then they wouldn’t use sweatshops in China and Bangladesh to create their goods and clothing. They would use production methods that cut down on factory waste and pollution. But that costs money and would eat into their profits. Asking guests to buy a bag that probably created more waste to produce than the waste from plastic bags doesn’t hurt their bottom line.

While I believe we should do everything we can, reducing consumer side waste is a nearly futile endeavor. The amount of production waste and pollution Is absolutely massive. We’ve been conditioned to take on global or societal problems as individuals. I’d rather see people lobbying for change in production (but as much as companies don’t want to cut into their bottom lines, people don’t want to pay more for locally or ethically made good) than patting Disney on the back for banning plastic bags. Nevermind, the environmental impact of the actual cruise ships.

Absolutely everything is done on a cost-benefit analysis. The only reason this ban is in effect is because it adds money to the bottom line. I would guess environmentalism is the excuse rather than the reason for this change. The excuse also happens to create customer buy-in.

It is definitely time for a new CC gift. I'd love some sort of cooler style grocery bag. And yes, I'd totally use it in the shops.

I'd pay extra to self-check out. It's faster and I don't have to wait for someone who pulls the checkbook out of her bag only after everything is rung up and bagged and then has to find a pen and no she doesn't want the pen that the clerk is trying to hand her, there's one right here. And oh where-ever is her Stop and Shop card... Oh my...

On the plastic bags, this is an environmental issue, but it's even more specifically a marine environmental issue. Disney is trying with everything from the low impact development at Castaway Cay to the new LNG fueled ships to position itself as a responsible cruise company. In practice, we almost always carry a little ultra-light nylon day pack, so it's no difference at all to us.

I'd pay extra to self-check out. It's faster and I don't have to wait for someone who pulls the checkbook out of her bag only after everything is rung up and bagged and then has to find a pen and no she doesn't want the pen that the clerk is trying to hand her, there's one right here. And oh where-ever is her Stop and Shop card... Oh my...

I don’t know if I’d pay extra, but I agree with you on the convenience factor. Either you have those people you just mentioned, or you have cashiers who are indifferent at best, and might as well be machines for all they add to the checkout process.

Of course, you get those people who try to use self-checkout and clearly have no effing clue how to scan something themselves.....

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. The bag issue (on the ships at least) doesn’t bother me in the least, as we generally don’t buy stuff on the ships. And even if we did, it’s not like we have to tote said stuff around a park all day. We can just take it up to our stateroom. Five minutes, done.

And honestly, if this is the worst change that DCL makes this year in terms of “nickel-and-diming” us, I’d call that a good year.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter