• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I have some acquaintances visiting Universal Orlando. In their Insta photos, they're not wearing masks while taking pictures. I know that taking off a mask for a photo is causing minimal exposure to COVID-19, but if enough guests did that we could see an outbreak linked to one of the theme parks. I really, really hope that DL guests don't do that or that Disney cracks down on it before it becomes a problem. It's frustrating that such a small act can have huge impacts to park operations, but it's true.

Hopefully most people will instead remember to smize....smile with their eyes!

I have some acquaintances visiting Universal Orlando. In their Insta photos, they're not wearing masks while taking pictures. I know that taking off a mask for a photo is causing minimal exposure to COVID-19, but if enough guests did that we could see an outbreak linked to one of the theme parks. I really, really hope that DL guests don't do that or that Disney cracks down on it before it becomes a problem. It's frustrating that such a small act can have huge impacts to park operations, but it's true.

Hopefully most people will instead remember to smize....smile with their eyes!
If I'm not mistaken, Disney doesn't allow for guests to remove masks for pictures. UO does though. So it seems to be park specific.

Last edited:
Super random question, but are grad nights a pain to avoid?
This is all based on pre-shutdown, so we will have no idea how it will work upon reopening (or when they will restart; I wouldn’t expect until 2022 at least).

In the past, the setup was schools got 1-day park hoppers and then went over to DCA in the evening. To put it mildly, it was not fun, causing lots of overcrowding, especially at Disneyland during the day since they would save DCA until the evening. Also lots of unsupervised 17-yr olds hanging in friend groups, which could be inconsiderate to other guests.

In the past few years, probably due to complaints, they changed it up. Schools had 3 ticket options. DCA evening party only, DCA day ticket + party, 1-day Park
Hopper + party. Those got progressively more expensive and the whole school had to get the same ticket type. So most schools went with one of the cheaper options. It definitely made it easier on grad nights, especially at Disneyland.

In my personal opinion, if you can avoid, I would (and I do). But if you happen to have a trip during those dates, make sure you plan more in morning, as crowds will get busier as the day goes on. But it’s not something to cancel a trip over anymore.

Reactions: EmJ
Super random question, but are grad nights a pain to avoid?
Do a search on the main board for Grad Night -- make sure to look for the most recent threads -- to see what the opinions were pre-COVID. Some people don't mind them and others avoid them at all costs. Read up to see which camp you agree with.
And it's nice to see you back in this thread! :)

If I'm not mistake, Disney doesn't allow for guests to remove masks for pictures. UO does though. So it seems to be park specific.
I also read that in addition to allowing for mask removal for photos, USO stopped social distancing on some rides to speed up lines and ride capacity. That made me nervous. I really hope Disney doesn't follow suit.

Heads up: This is from the Flex Pass Superthread on the main board --

Has anyone else heard about this or experienced this?
Hubby and I called Friday evening to ask about refunds on DD and my Sig plus APs. :guilty: Since he purchased them for us on the payment plan(of course we paid them off right before the parks closed...lol), they needed to speak with him so I had him leave it on speaker so I could hear what they said. The CM he spoke with said they weren't doing anything regarding APs until they have an opening date. Once they have a date, AP holders will receive an email or something would be posted on the app or website with information about your options and it would need to be decided before the parked opened.

The expiration date on my Flexpass was off by 2 months so it disappeared from the DL App. I called the AP line yesterday (it is open at 7 pacific time on the weekends) and the CM verified the actual date of 10/30 and sent an email to the department doing the adjusting and said they were backed up and would get to me but not to expect anything too soon. She also offered me a refund but I said I would prefer to have my Flexpass extended.
I got a call from the other department today saying my expiration date was adjusted to the correct date and that when they know the park is reopening they will adjust and extend dates based on the type of pass.

Hubby and I called Friday evening to ask about refunds on DD and my Sig plus APs. :guilty: Since he purchased them for us on the payment plan(of course we paid them off right before the parks closed...lol), they needed to speak with him so I had him leave it on speaker so I could hear what they said. The CM he spoke with said they weren't doing anything regarding APs until they have an opening date. Once they have a date, AP holders will receive an email or something would be posted on the app or website with information about your options and it would need to be decided before the parked opened.
So it sounds like maybe the difference in what CMs are saying might have to do with whether APs are paid in full or on the payment plan? So far we have two posts from APs on the payment plan who were told that Disney is no longer offering the choice of extension or partial refund until the parks have a new reopening date. And we have one poster who is paid in full who was offered that choice up front over the phone. Anyone else have something to report?

I just read on Mouse Planet's weekly Disneyland Resort update, that Disney has scheduled a news conference for tomorrow, September 22 regarding resort operations during the pandemic. Mouse Planet stated representatives from WDW and Disneyland will speak and closing remarks will be from Josh D'Amaro. It will be interesting to see if Gov. Newsom provides any theme park guidelines this week and if any opening news for DLR is able to be provided this week.

I just read on Mouse Planet's weekly Disneyland Resort update, that Disney has scheduled a news conference for tomorrow, September 22 regarding resort operations during the pandemic. Mouse Planet stated representatives from WDW and Disneyland will speak and closing remarks will be from Josh D'Amaro. It will be interesting to see if Gov. Newsom provides any theme park guidelines this week and if any opening news for DLR is able to be provided this week.
Here is that article from MP's DLR Update (9/21/20):
Pressure mounts on Newsom as local officials call on state to let theme parks reopen
It's been 6 months since Disneyland welcome the last guests through its turnstiles, and pressure is mounting as local officials and industry leaders call on California governor Gavin Newsom to issue reopening guidance for theme parks.

The Disneyland gates remain shuttered more than 6 months after the theme park closed due to the global pandemic. Photo by Todd Pickering.

Last week, the mayors of Anaheim, Buena Park and Garden Grove gave a joint press conference in Anaheim, detailing the financial impact the extended closures are having on their communities. The city of Anaheim says it is facing a $100 million budget deficit, in large part due to loss of tourism-related tax dollars.
In an interview with CBS Los Angeles last week, Anaheim city spokesman said “What we need is guidance and an economic recovery roadmap so we know we won’t go from coronavirus to a second Great Recession."
Todd Ament, president of the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce, says the impact on cities surrounding the Disneyland Resort is $1.3 billion.
The California Attractions and Parks Association has also called on Newsom to issue guidelines which would allow California theme parks and attractions to reopen.
Disney has scheduled a press conference for Tuesday, September 22, to provide an update on parks and resort operations around the world during the pandemic. The panel includes Disney executives from both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort, and ends with remarks from Disney Parks chairman Josh D'Amaro.
The Best Life & Beyond blog spotted D'Amaro walking through Disney California Adventure last week with Kris Theiler, vice president of Disneyland, and a number of sites have shared photos on social media showing Plexiglas barriers, social distancing signage and hand sanitizing stations visible inside the entrances of both theme parks. It seems clear Disneyland is preparing the parks to reopen just as soon as it gets the go-ahead from the state.

Here is that article from MP's DLR Update (9/21/20):
Pressure mounts on Newsom as local officials call on state to let theme parks reopen
It's been 6 months since Disneyland welcome the last guests through its turnstiles, and pressure is mounting as local officials and industry leaders call on California governor Gavin Newsom to issue reopening guidance for theme parks.

The Disneyland gates remain shuttered more than 6 months after the theme park closed due to the global pandemic. Photo by Todd Pickering.

Last week, the mayors of Anaheim, Buena Park and Garden Grove gave a joint press conference in Anaheim, detailing the financial impact the extended closures are having on their communities. The city of Anaheim says it is facing a $100 million budget deficit, in large part due to loss of tourism-related tax dollars.
In an interview with CBS Los Angeles last week, Anaheim city spokesman said “What we need is guidance and an economic recovery roadmap so we know we won’t go from coronavirus to a second Great Recession."
Todd Ament, president of the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce, says the impact on cities surrounding the Disneyland Resort is $1.3 billion.
The California Attractions and Parks Association has also called on Newsom to issue guidelines which would allow California theme parks and attractions to reopen.
Disney has scheduled a press conference for Tuesday, September 22, to provide an update on parks and resort operations around the world during the pandemic. The panel includes Disney executives from both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort, and ends with remarks from Disney Parks chairman Josh D'Amaro.
The Best Life & Beyond blog spotted D'Amaro walking through Disney California Adventure last week with Kris Theiler, vice president of Disneyland, and a number of sites have shared photos on social media showing Plexiglas barriers, social distancing signage and hand sanitizing stations visible inside the entrances of both theme parks. It seems clear Disneyland is preparing the parks to reopen just as soon as it gets the go-ahead from the state.
Very interesting. I see two scenarios
-green light from Newsom
-they are sick of waiting for soon and are going to do a full court press to open DLR by showing the world just how ready Disney is

Do a search on the main board for Grad Night -- make sure to look for the most recent threads -- to see what the opinions were pre-COVID. Some people don't mind them and others avoid them at all costs. Read up to see which camp you agree with.

My friends and I got mixed up in DCA on a Grad Night. We were there and did not realize it was a Grad Night. We stopped for ice cream at Cozy Cone and the 2-3 year old at the time was having a melt down about something. And 3 of the high school grads came over and engaged him and got him laughing. His parents and I were all sitting there with our mouths dropped open with how engaged with the little guy that these young men were. So some are really nice and looking out for others. After we finished our ice cream, we worked our way out of the park and no issues at all.

This is all based on pre-shutdown, so we will have no idea how it will work upon reopening (or when they will restart; I wouldn’t expect until 2022 at least).

In the past, the setup was schools got 1-day park hoppers and then went over to DCA in the evening. To put it mildly, it was not fun, causing lots of overcrowding, especially at Disneyland during the day since they would save DCA until the evening. Also lots of unsupervised 17-yr olds hanging in friend groups, which could be inconsiderate to other guests.

In the past few years, probably due to complaints, they changed it up. Schools had 3 ticket options. DCA evening party only, DCA day ticket + party, 1-day Park
Hopper + party. Those got progressively more expensive and the whole school had to get the same ticket type. So most schools went with one of the cheaper options. It definitely made it easier on grad nights, especially at Disneyland.

In my personal opinion, if you can avoid, I would (and I do). But if you happen to have a trip during those dates, make sure you plan more in morning, as crowds will get busier as the day goes on. But it’s not something to cancel a trip over anymore.
Thanks! This is super helpful. I know DL has already announced dates for 2021 grad nights, but under the framework you described, I'm not sure how that would work if there is a reservation system in June. Regardless, June is 657 COVID years away and things are going to change a hundred times before then, I'm sure. I was just curious as my brain starts entertaining the idea of maybe considering thinking about possibly going on a vacation ever again 💜

Thank you! I needed a break from the constant, soul-crushing disappointment heaped upon... everything... by this stupid virus. Then remote kindergarten took over my life, lol. I'm doing a bit better now though and really would like to get my child on a roller coaster next year! I have been peeking in every now and then to see if there were any updates, as DL is my first, second, and third choice. I hope the rumored announcement for tomorrow is true! US Orlando or even Hershey Park are runners up if California is still closed in nine months 😬.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter