Disney's Parks Chief Bob Chapek Emerges as Strong Contender to Succeed Iger

I've got 4 different places around me in Birmingham AL where kids can drive Go Carts of varying speeds on varying tracks. From ones the parents need to accompany but tykes can drive straight through the 50 mph scare fests. On I Drive alone off the top of my head you can go to Nascar Karts, Magical Midway, and Fun Spot America and drive go karts. The first two are even... battery powered ... so they don't stink. Then there is K1 Speed and Orlando Kart Center not far away.

Speedway has nostalgia. But really, for a park that is (artificially) constrained by space, Speedway just is a poor option given the size, the low capacity, and the high maintenance (ever try and keep gas go kart motors running? It's a chore I promise you!). Further, I think most people go to Disney to experience things they can't get anywhere else. Your local amusement park simply doesn't have the quality attractions, rides, and shows you get at Disney. Even the basic spinners are better themed than anything you get anywhere else (Astro Orbiter anyone?). Plus the place is clean, with wonderful music and smells that they actually sell in terms of scented candles.

When you get right down to it, Speedway is the antithesis of all of the above. Every family fun park can do it. It's not themed at all. It is dirty in both sound, smell, and environmental pollution, so it drowns out the music and drags on the atmosphere.

The hate? Well I wouldn't say I hate it. It just isn't Disney. Absolutely nothing about Speedway to me says unique to Disney. The only Disney thing about it is that it has always been there so we have memories of it being there. I don't want Speedway replaced by something for adults. But I think you could absolutely replace it with 2 unique and interesting attractions that fit the Disney image and accommodate the toddler through tween customer, add capacity and better the Park.

But I get that other people have other opinions. I just don't understand them.
I don’t get how it isn’t Disney. It’s been in Disney Parks since 1955. Would I love them to go electric or something? Of course. I just don’t think it should go away altogether.

An interesting point brought up on the disunplugged podcast today was that this report could have been an on purpose leak. By someone within the company to see how people would feel about Chapek.

If not Chapek - then who?
Kathleen Kennedy, Alan Horn, leaders in other entertainment companies.

Their experience is too narrow. They just know the movie side of the business. Also, No interest in someone like Sheryl Sandberg or anyone from silicon valley. Any of those choices would be worse for the Parks.

Probably someone from inside Disney that understands the culture and especially the Parks would be best.

I could see them go after Steve Burke at Universal. He understands all the business lines plus some. He has Disney roots and it would be a big blow to Universal. He definitely has distribution experience, and that will be very important to Disney's with their new OTT push.

If not Chapek - then who?

Their experience is too narrow. They just know the movie side of the business. Also, No interest in someone like Sheryl Sandberg or anyone from silicon valley. Any of those choices would be worse for the Parks.

Probably someone from inside Disney that understands the culture and especially the Parks would be best.

I could see them go after Steve Burke at Universal. He understands all the business lines plus some. He has Disney roots and it would be a big blow to Universal. He definitely has distribution experience, and that will be very important to Disney's with their new OTT push.
You aren’t going to find someone that knows every single aspect of what Disney does. When Eisner came in he knew nothing about parks. Iger came in from ABC and was the same way. Chapek knows how to sell consumer products and knows the parks now I guess but doesn’t know the studios. Just because someone in the company knows the company doesn’t always mean they are the best fit.

Plus the place is clean, with wonderful music and smells that they actually sell in terms of scented candles.

When you get right down to it, Speedway is the antithesis of all of the above. Every family fun park can do it. It's not themed at all. It is dirty in both sound, smell, and environmental pollution, so it drowns out the music and drags on the atmosphere.
Now I really want to see them market and sell Speedway scented candles. My only hesitation is that the fumes given off will ignite over the open flame and burn down more than a few houses. Expenses from products liability settlements will have to be figured into the initial cost.
You aren’t going to find someone that knows every single aspect of what Disney does. When Eisner came in he knew nothing about parks. Iger came in from ABC and was the same way. Chapek knows how to sell consumer products and knows the parks now I guess but doesn’t know the studios. Just because someone in the company knows the company doesn’t always mean they are the best fit.
Agreed. One way to read the tea leaves on the next selection is not looking at Disney today, but what Disney wants to be in the next few years. Thinking about the streaming service and the recent merger rumors, the apparent path is to focus on Disney as a media company. So presumably you'd see a media company-minded CEO. The easy way out is to look at who's had the hot-hand the past few years according to the financials and division performance metrics (while assuming that those results are based on skill rather than circumstance and dumb luck). Which gets to the ultimate question - what does the company want in a new CEO? A leader? Visionary? Steward? Someone to stay the course or break new ground? I don't know what that answer is (other than whatever direction is chosen, it'll be in the belief that it ultimately will make the company and shareholders more money than the other options).

Disney is first and foremost an entertainment company.

Actually.....Disney is first and foremost a BUSINESS. The first thing the TWDC C-Suite does in the morning and the last thing they do each night is check the stock price. They spend as much time with Investors and Wall Street as they do with the creative minds in their own businesses.

"Entertainment", is the vehicle by which the Disney Company generates profits and investment returns. They want to be good at entertainment....to the extent that it translates to the bottom line.

"Maximize Shareholder Profitability".....that's what is on Iger's screensaver.

Actually.....Disney is first and foremost a BUSINESS. The first thing the TWDC C-Suite does in the morning and the last thing they do each night is check the stock price. They spend as much time with Investors and Wall Street as they do with the creative minds in their own businesses.

"Entertainment", is the vehicle by which the Disney Company generates profits and investment returns. They want to be good at entertainment....to the extent that it translates to the bottom line.

Disney is an entertainment company. They make their money off of entertainment in several forms. Yes an entertainment company is a business and of course they worry about stock prices but entertainment drives that.

I don't disagree Ryan. My point really is that the top guys don't make their decisions necessarily based on how much entertainment they provide. They don't make decisions based on how excited its customers and fans will be. They make decisions based on what will be the profitability result.

This is probably splitting hairs I know, but I don't think Bob cares one whit about whether you or I love new park additions and the joy that it brings us. He DOES care if you or I like the new additions, IF, it generates increased profitability.

That said....that would make Disney no different than any other publicly traded business, or really most businesses.

I don't know Walt's original motivations probably as much as you or others on this forum, but my perception of him was that his dreams and creations were done as much or more to bring joy into people's lives than just become filthy stinking rich. And if that's true and I'm not being naive, then that would place him in an extreme minority in today's world. Sadly.

This is probably splitting hairs I know, but I don't think Bob cares one whit about whether you or I love new park additions and the joy that it brings us. He DOES care if you or I like the new additions, IF, it generates increased profitability.
I understand the point but if Bob didn't care would he even add anything to the parks? This goes beyond parks as well with film, TV, new, and more. If people don't like things the company does they are less likely to spend money. There has to be a mix of both providing what people want and the profitability. I think this is why we see more IP additions now than we did before.

]

That's what should be top of mind for every head of DIS, and all its various groups' executive members. End stop. It does that through entertainment, but that can, and is for DIS, a varied enterprise. Who knows what'll look like in a decade or 2.

I'd love to see Kathleen as head. I don't presently have anything against Chapek either.

I don't disagree Ryan. My point really is that the top guys don't make their decisions necessarily based on how much entertainment they provide. They don't make decisions based on how excited its customers and fans will be. They make decisions based on what will be the profitability result.

That said....that would make Disney no different than any other publicly traded business, or really most businesses.

I don't know Walt's original motivations probably as much as you or others on this forum, but my perception of him was that his dreams and creations were done as much or more to bring joy into people's lives than just become filthy stinking rich. And if that's true and I'm not being naive, then that would place him in an extreme minority in today's world. Sadly.
Looks like it's goodbye to classic animated features since it's going to be about Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars. He's going to destroy Walt Disney's legacy.:sad1: Sorry if this is over the top. I just don't know if I could trust him. He's sounds like a greedy monster.

I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but I still don't know if I could trust him. I mean, I've been hearing that he is a greedy monster. If he's selected, this should be the end the legacy of Disney. I'm not against or hate him, I just don't know if he'll be trusted, unless someone can kindly correct me about him.

P.S. Please have patience with me. I'm just concern the future of Disney.

I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but I still don't know if I could trust him. I mean, I've been hearing that he is a greedy monster. If he's selected, this should be the end the legacy of Disney. I'm not against or hate him, I just don't know if he'll be trusted, unless someone can kindly correct me about him.

It is a bit repetitive, it's fair to have concern but it's also no good working yourself up so much, especially since no announcements have been made.

It is a bit repetitive, it's fair to have concern but it's also no good working yourself up so much, especially since no announcements have been made.
I know that. It's just that people been talking about him very negatively and I sometimes don't like business people. I just want a new ceo to understand the legacy of Disney and it wasn't always about the money even though it is. I'll try not to say he or she needs to bring back hand drawn animation, because that may not be the case right now. Anyway, the point is, I just don't know if I would want him to be the next ceo if he's chosen after hearing bad reception from fans. And I don't know who should I expecting to be the next CEO of Disney.

I’m not exactly a fan of his but can you point me to where you got this info. If heard he’s a bit of a figure head but you make it out to seem he’s going to destroy the company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter