Disputing with my husband. . . Please weigh in

I recently began planning our first family trip to Disney. My DS will 7 and DD will be 4.5 at the time of trip. My DH thinks they are too young and it will be a waste because they wont remember any of it. And in his words, "he's only giving the guy with big ears money once." He would prefer to put it off until they are 10 or older. I think its the perfect time and if we wait too long it wont be as magical. They may not remember but I will!

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Tell him it is much easier to put the kids on your shoulders now then when they are older. I had my daughter on my shoulders on the most recent trip & my lower back hasn't been the same since.

I agree with others in that the memory won't likely be there for the youngest and it's actually a possibility that for the 7 year old might not have the perfect memory but I would still take them. The thing is maybe it is a one and done trip....but maybe it's not. It doesn't mean that you don't take some serious time away from Disney after this but it is entirely possible another trip could be in the future.

I actually thought my 2011 trip would be my last one for quite a long long time but I got the huge and I mean huge urge to go in summer of 2015 so I discussed with my husband to have our vacation in 2017 to go there (see my sig for the other times I've gone). I would love to go for the 50th but that depends on many factors.

Is there a reason why your husband feels like he will only want to go once? Maybe that would help out with the advice.

I took my now 16 year old sons for the first time when they had just turned 4. They don't remember a single thing besides what they see in the pictures but I still remember how much they loved every second of it and how their faces lit up each time they saw their favorite character or went on a fun ride. Everything was magical to them and if they were a few years older I don't think they would have been as awed by it.

I took my now 16 year old sons for the first time when they had just turned 4. They don't remember a single thing besides what they see in the pictures but I still remember how much they loved every second of it and how their faces lit up each time they saw their favorite character or went on a fun ride. Everything was magical to them and if they were a few years older I don't think they would have been as awed by it.

I agree with others in that the memory won't likely be there for the youngest and it's actually a possibility that for the 7 year old might not have the perfect memory but I would still take them. The thing is maybe it is a one and done trip....but maybe it's not. It doesn't mean that you don't take some serious time away from Disney after this but it is entirely possible another trip could be in the future.

I actually thought my 2011 trip would be my last one for quite a long long time but I got the huge and I mean huge urge to go in summer of 2015 so I discussed with my husband to have our vacation in 2017 to go there (see my sig for the other times I've gone). I would love to go for the 50th but that depends on many factors.

Is there a reason why your husband feels like he will only want to go once? Maybe that would help out with the advice.

He is more of sit on the beach with a drink and not move kind of vacationer. I don't think he is looking forward to crowds or lines. I know this about him which is why I'm planning to go at a time of low crowds and plan for some resort days

I have two much younger brothers. After I graduated high school we went to WDW as a family for the first time. They were 5 and 7 years old. I've talked to the youngest one since then (he is 11 now) and he doesn't remember it at all. The older one does, though, and has fond memories.

So your youngest may not remember it, but it will be so magical! I remember my youngest brother lighting up at all of the Star Wars stuff. He really thought he was meeting Darth Vadar!

BUT it's okay for you to make those memories for yourself. Sure, they might not remember it fully but you will always recall the joy of that trip. One thing to check is height restrictions, though. If your kids are the type who would want to ride a ton of rides but may be disappointed if they aren't tall enough then you may want to wait.

As others have said, you may also find that this is not your only trip to the Kingdom ;)

He is more of sit on the beach with a drink and not move kind of vacationer. I don't think he is looking forward to crowds or lines. I know this about him which is why I'm planning to go at a time of low crowds and plan for some resort days
Ohhh Ok I feel you.

Generally speaking I'm a history or beach vacationer myself..but I also have been known to go go go on vacations too.

Well I would hope that if you do decide to go this time that he'll want to go again. Those resort days may really help him out though. Maybe then he'll know what kind of Disney trip (as in the style of it such as early riser late riser few hours at the park then back to resort, etc) he would want to have for the next time (assuming there might be one in the cards in the future again doesn't have to be immediately after could be some years later). Disney isn't for everyone that's for sure still though. In my mind I could just see "oh we'll go next year or we'll go when the kids are X age" and then life happens ya know?

If this really is the only trip until they are teens, I would wait. Here's my case:

1. I think your youngest is much more likely to remember the trip when he is six or older.

2. He'll be taller. Hopefully, you'll be able to ride everything together instead of doing rider swap.

3. Bedtimes will hopefully be later and have more wiggle room.

4. Pretty far out of naptime territory. I think naps are awesome, even as an adult, but most six year olds don't require them. A four year old might not need one in the normal day to day, but might at Disney.

5. You don't have to take a stroller at six. It could be beneficial, but not necessary. He might be fine without one at four, but I would lean towards it making the parks more manageable.

6. At six and nine both of your children would still be able to order off the children's menu and recieve children's ticket price.

I've been going since I was a child and still love it, my brother was over it at about eleven. So, I would move the trip up from six and nine, if you see that approaching, but otherwise I would wait.

If this really is the only trip until they are teens, I would wait. Here's my case:

1. I think your youngest is much more likely to remember the trip when he is six or older.

2. He'll be taller. Hopefully, you'll be able to ride everything together instead of doing rider swap.

3. Bedtimes will hopefully be later and have more wiggle room.

4. Pretty far out of naptime territory. I think naps are awesome, even as an adult, but most six year olds don't require them. A four year old might not need one in the normal day to day, but might at Disney.

5. You don't have to take a stroller at six. It could be beneficial, but not necessary. He might be fine without one at four, but I would lean towards it making the parks more manageable.

6. At six and nine both of your children would still be able to order off the children's menu and recieve children's ticket price.

I've been going since I was a child and still love it, my brother was over it at about eleven. So, I would move the trip up from six and nine, if you see that approaching, but otherwise I would wait.
The OP said though her husband "only giving the guy with big ears money once" so it's not that they would wait until they are teens it is a one and only trip...at least right now.

Go now! Keep the memory alive by taking lots of photos and creating a blurb book of your trip that the kids can look back on.

We were asked repeatedly why we were taking ours kids when they were so young (2,4,7&9). At that time we were only going one time ever as well. Since then we have gone 3 times. I would absolutely go now. My kids talked about it for the whole next year every day. We found it is our perfect holiday. All of us loved it so much we keep going back. Like you said you will remember it and the Magic is so real at those ages.

Took my oldest two on their first trip when they were 4 & 5. It was the most amazing, magical trip. We had the best time! There was so much awe from them and the magic was 110% there. Sure, they don't remember a ton from it, but I do. In my opinion, that was the perfect age for Disney. Second trip, they were 8 & 9. The magic was still there and we had tons of fun! They were still excited to see their favorite characters and watch the shows. We also our 3-year old for her first visit on this trip. She made it more difficult than I thought. Lots of meltdowns, not what I had planned on, but still a great trip. Upcoming third trip, my big two are now 11 & 10, the magic has faded. They aren't into princesses and Mickey anymore. It won't be the same, but I know we'll still have a great time.

Do it before they are 10!!! Disney is still a magical place at any age, but seeing it through the eyes of your small child makes the experience so much more worth and memorable. I'm pretty sure I cried at some point probably while watching my 3-year tell Mickey that she loves him. Plan it now, neither of you will end up regretting it.

The OP said though her husband "only giving the guy with big ears money once" so it's not that they would wait until they are teens it is a one and only trip...at least right now.

I was misunderstanding her second post. I just went back and reread it. I would still wait. This is coming from someone who plans to go with a young toddler, but we don't plan on this being our last trip.

Also, just a note on a general theme of the thread, I don't think it is a good idea to go with the assumption that her husband will change his mind and love Disney. He's already agreeing to go on a vacation he does not anticipate enjoying. I took my reluctant husband before we had our son. I made the trip very focused on what I thought he would like. He had been twice before when he was younger and didn't like it. He much preferred our trip. He doesn't love it, but he likes it well enough and is OK with going again.

We're going for the first time in September and my girls will only be 2 and 4. My 4 year old talks about going every single day. Even her teachers at nursery school know about it and said they'd love to be a fly on the wall when she sees that castle.

We plan on going every two years though. Right now I want it to be magical. To believe in the fairytales and not just know that it's people in costumes.

It's just as much for us as it is for them. To watch them take in the magic.

I vote wait. 4 1/2 is young; if you wait 2+ years she can enjoy everything. 9 or 10 is a great age for a first trip. My oldest was 10 his first trip--he still loves Disney as an adult, probably more so than the little one.

I recently began planning our first family trip to Disney. My DS will 7 and DD will be 4.5 at the time of trip. My DH thinks they are too young and it will be a waste because they wont remember any of it. And in his words, "he's only giving the guy with big ears money once." He would prefer to put it off until they are 10 or older. I think its the perfect time and if we wait too long it wont be as magical. They may not remember but I will!

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
for one of my grandsons daughter made a photobook of his first trip. he was only 4 months old but he can tell you what he did that trip. yes you are right he does not remember but he can tell you what that baby did from his book. we were back last summer when he was 10.5 years old and he asked before we left if his little cousins was going to do most of the things he did when he was the same age as cousin. another granddaughter was same age as your daughter still asks to look at pictures from trip last summer. also the Mouse considers 10 years old an adult for tickets and food esp the buffets that are character meals. have husband look at prices for 10 year olds

Last edited:
That little kid magic though...its hard to beat. We have older kids, and little kids (five all together) and the big kids are super fun to take on rides, like better restaurants etc. (they are 11 and 13) but the littles (4-6 years) are so awesome at DW-the magic is so real for them and it is all so fun to take in-and to watch as a parent. it is selfish to say, but if I had to chose I would take them when they were little and have those memories.

He might be right the kids might not remember... but HE will never forget the look on his childern's faces when the characters they have seen on TV come to life in front of them. I was just like him, until i saw my son (2 at the time) see Mickey the first time.....and then dance and point/scream that Tinkerbell was coming as the electrical light parade started. GO have fun.. you wont regret it

I was misunderstanding her second post. I just went back and reread it. I would still wait. This is coming from someone who plans to go with a young toddler, but we don't plan on this being our last trip.

Also, just a note on a general theme of the thread, I don't think it is a good idea to go with the assumption that her husband will change his mind and love Disney. He's already agreeing to go on a vacation he does not anticipate enjoying. I took my reluctant husband before we had our son. I made the trip very focused on what I thought he would like. He had been twice before when he was younger and didn't like it. He much preferred our trip. He doesn't love it, but he likes it well enough and is OK with going again.
Exactly. It is very possible that they go once and never want to return. I know it is hard for people here to think that there are people out there that don't love Disney. But there are.

I would wait. That way if it is one and done, your children will have the memories.

Most would say 7-9 is the perfect age for a one and only trip. Don't get me wrong - its a GREAT age and they are much easier to travel with - but some of the magic is gone.

I waited until mine were around this age. We had an amazing time and our one and only became an annual trip. BUT, I am a bit sad about missing out on the littles stage.

So when my SIL got pregnant, I started plotting! This summer, I get to take my 3.5 yr old niece to experience the magic of Disney!!!!! I am insanely excited to share my happy place with my precious niece. (And on a selfish note - to get a second chance to see magic through the eyes of a little one!)

She's a wee bit young - but we will all have amazing memories of her. I don't expect her to remember this trip when she is grown. Heck, I don't remember much of my visit when I was 14 either! Just a couple of vague memories boosted by a few photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter