Disputing with my husband. . . Please weigh in

We went last year for the kids' first trip. They were 8 and 5, and it was fantastic! My youngest is old enough to walk without needing a stroller and my oldest still has the Disney magic spirit. We can't wait to go again this summer!!

I went for the first time when I was 5. I remember the trip very well. Even still have my Figment that I bought with my own money that trip. My favorite ride was the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. My mom let me drive and we laughed the entire way as we bounced off the rails. It was hilarious. Still my favorite ride today because every time I ride it I think of that very first time with my mom. Oh, and I'm 34 now. Go for sure. Your little one will remember. I promise.

I can remember going to disneyland when I was just about 3. I remember not being able to reach the pedal of the old fashioned cars so my Dad did the gas pedal while I got to steer it, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. If I can remember that then your kids will certainly remember their trip!

My dh thought the same as your husband. We took our kids for the first time when they were 6/10. He too said it will be a one time thing but he enjoyed it so much we did take them again and now all he talks about is us going this fall. The bug bit him. When are you trying to go?

We are first timers going in a few months, kids will be 8 and 10. We waited mostly for financial reasons( should have went at 7 and 9) but also because like your husband says it will be a one and done kind of trip. We know this because we can't afford it more often and want them to remember.

I was worried we waited and mine would be beyond Disney at this point but it doesn't seem to be the case. They are so pumped! Apparently peer influence is helping for excitement as a few of their friends went over the holidays and spring break so they have heard good things are and really into it. And they are old enough to "help" plan.

Yes, we are first timers and have not even been yet but I don't regret the decision to wait. They may not be into the characters but just think the magic will still be there, in a slightly different way.
If you think he will change his mind and want to go again then by all means go now! But if not I'm sure you will have a great time in a few years.

The first time we could afford a WDW vacation, our "kids" were 17 and 19. It was a huge success, and we have returned many times since then. I was fortunate enough to be there with my first grandson when he was 8 months old and His parents and I have the most magical memories ever of watching his absolute delight at the sights and sounds. Watching him wrap his chubby little arms around Goofy's nose was priceless! Obviously, that trip wasn't planned for his benefit. His parents had to use a travel credit, and were not ready to be away from him, so I tagged along and kept him close enough for comfort while they could still have some time to themselves.

A few years later, we made a 4- generation trip, with 3 grandchildren, ages 2 - 3. WOW! Incredible magic. And the pictures and videos of that trip fuelled their excitement for a trip 2 years later, and so on.

The absolutely perfect age to go is when you have your health, the desire, and the financial means to do so. Never, ever take any one of those elements for granted. This may be your only trip, or you could be like us and find yourself becoming regular visitors. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to make a second trip, let lone at least every other year for 24 years! Orlando as a destination is fantastic for fun of all kinds. DH has tapered off his park time considerably but is still happy to come along.

The first time we could afford a WDW vacation, our "kids" were 17 and 19. It was a huge success, and we have returned many times since then. I was fortunate enough to be there with my first grandson when he was 8 months old and His parents and I have the most magical memories ever of watching his absolute delight at the sights and sounds. Watching him wrap his chubby little arms around Goofy's nose was priceless! Obviously, that trip wasn't planned for his benefit. His parents had to use a travel credit, and were not ready to be away from him, so I tagged along and kept him close enough for comfort while they could still have some time to themselves.

A few years later, we made a 4- generation trip, with 3 grandchildren, ages 2 - 3. WOW! Incredible magic. And the pictures and videos of that trip fuelled their excitement for a trip 2 years later, and so on.

The absolutely perfect age to go is when you have your health, the desire, and the financial means to do so. Never, ever take any one of those elements for granted. This may be your only trip, or you could be like us and find yourself becoming regular visitors. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to make a second trip, let lone at least every other year for 24 years! Orlando as a destination is fantastic for fun of all kinds. DH has tapered off his park time considerably but is still happy to come along.
Amen❤❤❤❤

Our first trip was last May, the kids were 4.5, 4.5, 6 and 7. Hubs said it was a once and would not happen again for years. We had an amazing trip. The kids loved loved it and talk about it all the time.... I'm planning our 2nd trip for October.

I LOVED the preschool age trips. So special and so magical. Loved all the other ages too but those eyes of little ones is just special. Magic is still there and our little guy is 10 and older one an adult. They never believed characters were real but it never mattered. They have a lot of trips under their belts. IF I was for sure only taking them once, I would choose a little older, maybe 10ish.

If this is your one and only trip, I would wait until the oldest is 9. They will be able to ride almost everything, you will still get child pricing for both children and they will remember some of it.

I'll preface this by saying I am not a one trip only kind of girl. Our first trip, my younger son turned 4 on the trip and my older son was almost 6. Soooo magical!! Seeing them meet the characters on that trip has been a moment that I will never forget and still makes me tear up when I remember it. Now we have gone again 3 times since then and still love it, but my 8 year old definitely doesn't look at the characters now with the same awe he had at 5. Although at 8 his stamina is better, he's tall enough for more rides, we can stay out later, etc. It's a trade off.

AWESOME AGES! :thumbsup2

I found when mine were around 3-4 that was the most magical age, where they weren't scared but so mesmerized by the characters, parades etc. I don't think there is a bad age, but I do think tweens can be ... well tweens, so if you have one shot I'd avoid that age.

AND once they pass 9 ......... price of the Mouse goes way up!

I agree with all of this. If you think you have any interest in character meals, I'd definitely do it before anyone turns 10.

I'll preface this by saying I am not a one trip only kind of girl. Our first trip, my younger son turned 4 on the trip and my older son was almost 6. Soooo magical!! Seeing them meet the characters on that trip has been a moment that I will never forget and still makes me tear up when I remember it. Now we have gone again 3 times since then and still love it, but my 8 year old definitely doesn't look at the characters now with the same awe he had at 5. Although at 8 his stamina is better, he's tall enough for more rides, we can stay out later, etc. It's a trade off.

It is definitely a trade off. I've taken my youngest at 4 and it was wonderful. She was at that stage where she believed she was meeting Ariel in the flesh. Everything was magical for her. For me? Okay, maybe not those "I have to pee" moments right when you get to the front of the queue, or dragging the stroller around (although it's a nice place to stash things). But she had an absolute blast and she does remember parts of that trip a year later. She also has a lot of photos to watch and help jog that memory. And what she doesn't remember, I do, and at the time she was having the time of her life. I also admit going with my older kids is nice because they have the ability to stay out all night.

Not always, my kids never believed the characters were real, even at age 4 they knew they were just people in costumes. They still were in awe of WDW. They still loved to do the meet and greets and get autographs, but the older they got the less we had to do that so it freed up time for other attractions. They were taller so that meant a whole new way to be in awe of WDW. I wouldn't consider that a trade-off at all.

My first trip to Disney ever (Disneyland) was my son's first trip as well. He was 5, I was 32. And honestly, I don't know which one of us had more fun. :teeth: We adored it. He was old enough that we didn't rent a stroller. We did park open to park close for two days, and then a half day. He didn't complain of being tired. He wanted to try everything he was tall enough for. Granted, DLR is smaller than WDW, but it was magical.

On that trip, *I* caught Disney fever and began planning our first ever WDW trip, which was also the first time I ever went to Florida (my wife went with her high school when she was younger). This time, he was 7. It was also a great trip. We did 4 days in the parks (1/2 day HS, 1/2 day AK, 1 day Epcot and 2 days MK). It was August. It was broiling hot. But again, no complaints. We did full days at the parks, as we were staying off-site.

We are now planning this summer's trip. We are staying on-site for the first time ever, and will be doing 5 days in the parks, with 2 days at Epcot per my son's request. He'll be 10. I expect he'll remember more, but I don't know if anything will be as magical as our first trip to each of the parks. I'd say go now.

Go now! We took our DD to Disneyland (CA) when she was 10 months. Obviously that was more for me than her, but it was still cute to see her reactions. We also took her to WDW when she was 15 months and then Disneyland Paris right before she turned 2. Each time she got something different out of it. I know she won't remember it, but it was priceless to see her reactions each visit. We are now going to WDW in 5 weeks. She will be 2.5...and I can't wait. She knows all the characters now, and I think it is going to blow her little mind!! pixiedust: I think your children's ages are perfect. It would be so magical for them!

I can remember going to disneyland when I was just about 3. I remember not being able to reach the pedal of the old fashioned cars so my Dad did the gas pedal while I got to steer it, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. If I can remember that then your kids will certainly remember their trip!

I remember the same thing! And thinking it was so cool to ride in a "convertible." LOL

Last year when my daughter was 3 1/2 I took her and the look on her face when she got to hug Mickey was priceless (and worth paying for the photos). I went out and let her get a Mickey that was her size because of it! And she does remember meeting the characters and we have the photos.

But I also have family in Florida so we visit my grandparents typically once a year and then do a couple of days in Disney (literally 2 this year). So the cost is not as much as if we went for a week or something like that. But I've been going to Disney since I was a baby so I'm not the best person to talk to (my dh doesn't like disney either, I visit my family without him and take our dd there as a treat for us)!

We went for the first time in December '16. Our kids were 3 and 5. It was an amazing trip. It was so amazing that we will be returning on the 30th of this month, so the kids are still 3 and 5. :)

Just chiming in with my own thoughts.

We won our first trip, or we'd never have done Disney. It was totally fluke for me. DH signed up at Montana's and we got the call. He decided to reserve for the Star Wars weekends then, and even though our kids were going to be 1 and 2 at the time and I was completely reserved as I had never been and my dad had put us off it as kids, I did a little research, made a plan, and away we went. It was fantastic. The kids loved it, and watching the kids and their reactions to the characters, how they interacted with others, the magic... it was incredible. I was over the moon and really wanted to go back. Fast forward 2.5 years and my husband said he saw some deals with free dining. I told him if he could book a 10day, 9 night stay with flight and food that wouldn't be more than $6000 Cdn with our 3 kids, go for it. I really wanted to go back, but I didn't think it was doable. We did it for $5000 including the Christmas party one day. And souvenirs. Whole trip. My kids were 5, 3, and 9 months. My 5 year old remembers and still talks about it. She's turning 9 this year. She wants to go back really badly. Our kids are now 8, almost 7, 4 and 2. My 9 month old didn't care about much last trip, but this trip I can see her abuzz with excitement wanting to meet her favorite characters. My son was 1 on our first trip, and he was enamoured with the characters. My favorite memory is him reaching out to see Mickey, and Mickey got down on his haunches and asked if I could put my boy on his knee. You'd think we'd given our son the best present ever. This was only about a week or two after he turned one. I love going through the pictures. I cry thinking about how much he smiled and just loved those characters... smiling the whole time, laughing, getting Stitch to copy him by sucking his own thumb, kisses to Minnie...

I want to go back again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter