Do you display US flags or have red, white and blue out?

No, I don't because I can't treat it right.

In addition, I don't do anything flag related. My grandfather was quite uptight about the flag and he got really insane when he saw the "flag" or depictions of the flag being used to make clothing and other items. I remember being 6 years old in the very late 1960s and my cousin and I got to walk down the boardwalk alone for the first time and each given a dollar. We went into this little hippy gift shop and bought ourselves macrame purses that looked the like American flag. My grandfather thought it was so disrespectful. I think it's just really rubbed off on me so, while I don't think much about what others do, I find myself repelled at the thougt of flag-motif shirts, decorations, etc.

I'm not sure if it's really disrespectful or not.

I think that's where my aversion to it comes from too. Both of my grandfathers were WWII vets who were critical of the flags-as-apparel thing. I grew up with the interpretation that it is against flag code, though I know the prevailing thought now is that because it has a different number of stars/stripes, different layout, etc., the flag code doesn't apply to clothing that is designed to invoke the American flag.

We have an American flag and a rainbow doormat. I'm sure our neighbors are pretty confused with where we stand politically. :lmao:

That is something that I've thought about. I kind of hate that the notion of patriotism itself is assumed to go hand-in-hand with a certain set of political beliefs and my daughter at one point suggested putting up US and Pride flags in the two holders on our porch as a sort of statement... but ultimately, my self-awareness won the day and I realized I'm unlikely to keep either of the flags in good condition and unwilling to abuse them. So we remain flag-less.

We started displaying a US flag in 2020 in that brief moment when it seemed like the country was working together to fight a common enemy. We have stuck with it since then.

We follow the flag etiquette though so it is not out there overnight or in rain/bad weather... and we occasionally just forget to put it up.

We have an American flag and a rainbow doormat. I'm sure our neighbors are pretty confused with where we stand politically. :lmao:

Ha! Not a bad idea...really throwing off the neighbors....lol.

Playing it at sporting events reminds me of old video of USSR and China when they had their events and parades with all the pomp and nationalism.

We have a flag pole but rarely fly the flag. Normally my husband puts it up for the 4th of July.

It's funny you say that. I had to go back out again after I first responded. And I noticed four homes with flagpoles....and no flag. I suppose those people could have bought the homes with the flag poles...and aren't "flag people". Now I'll be looking for flagpoles and whether there are flags on them for days ;). Maybe some are like you and only fly them on certain holidays. My father was a big flag pole guy....the kind where you could fly three at a time. Flags always flying for sure at my parents house.

I think that's where my aversion to it comes from too. Both of my grandfathers were WWII vets who were critical of the flags-as-apparel thing. I grew up with the interpretation that it is against flag code, though I know the prevailing thought now is that because it has a different number of stars/stripes, different layout, etc., the flag code doesn't apply to clothing that is designed to invoke the American flag.

That is something that I've thought about. I kind of hate that the notion of patriotism itself is assumed to go hand-in-hand with a certain set of political beliefs and my daughter at one point suggested putting up US and Pride flags in the two holders on our porch as a sort of statement... but ultimately, my self-awareness won the day and I realized I'm unlikely to keep either of the flags in good condition and unwilling to abuse them. So we remain flag-less.
Garden flags 😉

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a flag at a house around my city. Not something really done here.
A few Ukrainian ones in windows this spring.

What about a flag tattoo?
Read the flag code and decide for yourself :)
Most flags made of modern materials are fine to leave in the rain.
I don't think that's the point - I think it's about respect for the flag and what it stands for.
Flag-patterned clothing is not a flag and is not subject to the flag code.
I disagree, and the flag code states that using the flag on objects is against flag code.

It's funny you say that. I had to go back out again after I first responded. And I noticed four homes with flagpoles....and no flag. I suppose those people could have bought the homes with the flag poles...and aren't "flag people". Now I'll be looking for flagpoles and whether there are flags on them for days ;). Maybe some are like you and only fly them on certain holidays. My father was a big flag pole guy....the kind where you could fly three at a time. Flags always flying for sure at my parents house.
When we moved into our home, there was a Canadian flag in a flagpole attached to our fence. It was really nice, and looked brand new, so we left it up. :)

We took it down when it needed replacing, but I never got around to buying a new one. It’s not something I ever think about. Flags are not a common thing around here.

Read the flag code and decide for yourself :)
I did, but it sounds like you need to.

I don't think that's the point - I think it's about respect for the flag and what it stands for.
The flag code is explicitly clear that all-weather flags are perfectly fine to fly in the rain. There's nothing disrespectful about it. Disrespect comes from letting the flag get soiled or stained. Rain doesn't soil or stain an all-weather flag.

I disagree, and the flag code states that using the flag on objects is against flag code.
"The flag" does not mean "anything with stars-and-stripes pattern."

No. Never. And, I don't buy things that are flag-related. I think the allegiance to it all is kind of creepy, TBH. Along the same line as religion, which I also find creepy 🤷‍♀️🤣

Pretty much agree. I think the overt nationalism/patriotism you see in the USA is uniquely American. I also don't understand why we start sporting (and other) events by playing/singing the national anthem. What is there about a baseball game that first needs a statement of our nationalism? I'm also curious to learn what countries require their school students to pledge allegiance to the country every day? The ones that come to mind are a little scary, and not anything with which I'd care to be associated. I don't understand Americans' obsession with "showing how patriotic" they are.

Pretty much agree. I think the overt nationalism/patriotism you see in the USA is uniquely American. I also don't understand why we start sporting (and other) events by playing/singing the national anthem. What is there about a baseball game that first needs a statement of our nationalism? I'm also curious to learn what countries require their school students to pledge allegiance to the country every day? The ones that come to mind are a little scary, and not anything with which I'd care to be associated. I don't understand Americans' obsession with "showing how patriotic" they are.

My country Ireland is very patriotic. We only became The Republic of Ireland in 1949 after centuries of colonization by The UK and rebellions and civil war. Our flag has just as meaning as the American flag, but we dont have the the same attachment , if thats the right word, to the flag like in America. We don't have things like the pledge of allegiance in schools every day.

Our National Anthem is played at sporting events in Ireland. Many theatres and shows and even nightclubs sometimes play it to signify the end of the evenings events. Playing the National Anthem is a leftover throwback to the days of British rule in Ireland, an act of defiance to our oppressors. The Irish National Anthem was a song that became popular as a rebellion song around 1916 during the time of final rebellion against British rule in Ireland.

We live in a very old house with a front covered porch the width of the house. To me it screams for flag bunting during the holidays that call for it (Memorial Day, Flag day, Independence Day) and we run smaller flags up the stairs to the porch. We put it up the evening prior to the holiday and take it down the day after. We have cocktails on the porch after work in the summer and all the neighbors come. When they saw us cleaning and getting everything out they were all asking when the first porch party is. We do follow proper flag etiquette as I'm from a long line of veterans and although not a veteran myself I was married to one and have lived in many Army Posts across the U.S. and overseas.

A lot of the reasons for it do have to do with our origins as a country. The US is actually a VERY young country in global terms, and it did have to fight for it's independence. Part of it's very radical ideaology at the time was about personal freedom - a society with no system of nobility, where anyone could become leaders regardless of birthright. It's still a failry new idea in the world (and not always perfectly executed, even in the US). That's what informs the sense of American patriotism. Unfortunately, many don't really understand the difference in patriotism and jingoism, which is why flag-flying can be seen as meaning different things to different people.

Things like the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegience actually have more to do with the Cold War. It became very prevalent as people scrambled to prove that they weren't "Godless commies" and all the hysteria that goes with it. That kind of sprang up around the world as the lines were drawn.

My country Ireland is very patriotic. We only became The Republic of Ireland in 1949 after centuries of colonization by The UK and rebellions and civil war. Our flag has just as meaning as the American flag, but we dont have the the same attachment , if thats the right word, to the flag like in America. We don't have things like the pledge of allegiance in schools every day.

Our National Anthem is played at sporting events in Ireland. Many theatres and shows and even nightclubs sometimes play it to signify the end of the evenings events. Playing the National Anthem is a leftover throwback to the days of British rule in Ireland, an act of defiance to our oppressors. The Irish National Anthem was a song that became popular as a rebellion song around 1916 during the time of final rebellion against British rule in Ireland.

When a country fights for it's independence, that does inform the national conciousness. Every seven days a country somewhere in the world is celebrating it's independence from the British Empire! Not all of them fought a war over it, but it's definitely a part of their history and it will show in their society.

I think a lot of it is about perspective. Sure, from our suburban, somewhat privileged living rooms, the flag may not mean that much. But think of what it meant to the young soldiers who were sent to other countries to fight for the freedoms we enjoy today. Think what of what it means to people who are risking life and limb to come into this country and gain citizenship. Think about what it meant on 9/11 when we came together as a country. Think of what it meant to you growing up. Yes, times have changed. And some can choose not to hold the flag in esteem if that’s how they feel. But others can, for their own reasons. Personal liberties should still be respected.

I fly mine as a part of my family story.

It's in acknowledgement of all the people who have made significant sacrifices & given their lives to protect the freedoms that come with a fluid society, a thing my ancestors wanted, which they must have felt was not an option where they were, or why go through the effort? Nothing was easy for the first generation here, my great grandparents endured great hardships to get here with their 8-9 children each family, that is A LOT of humans and the implicit hardship is not lost on me. This generation then endured the hardships all immigrant families suffer such as poverty, illness (one side lost 4 children from Diphtheria & there was TB, being stuck in bad jobs etc) & then everything bigotry brings with it. My grandparents generation paid dearly to build new lives, they abandoned their language & stopped using ethnic sounding names, even suffered internment camps in the US during WW2 despite a majority of my family fighting in uniform and they all did this with the hope of better in front of them than what was behind them. There was never any resentment even though many labels that continue today unchecked about my background but I ignore it all because whatever it was my great grandparents left behind, for some reason they believed life here would be an improvement they wanted this for their future generations- meaning me. At this time, a vast majority of my now mostly 4th generation family hold diplomas and prestigious jobs, our children will hopefully move even further so we did what asked us to do & it worked so this is why I fly it and will continue to do so. My small tokens of acknowledgement are tiny compared to what they represent.

This is my family story and in no way alters or diminishes anyone else's or where they sit on the spectrum of human experience, still, I have a right to my own experience.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is about perspective. Sure, from our suburban, somewhat privileged living rooms, the flag may not mean that much. But think of what it meant to the young soldiers who were sent to other countries to fight for the freedoms we enjoy today. Think what of what it means to people who are risking life and limb to come into this country and gain citizenship. Think about what it meant on 9/11 when we came together as a country. Think of what it meant to you growing up. Yes, times have changed. And some can choose not to hold the flag in esteem if that’s how they feel. But others can, for their own reasons. Personal liberties should still be respected.

That actually is something I think about. After 9/11, when we "came together as a country" the only two Middle Eastern business owners in my community were essentially run out of town. One had his business vandalized several times, which was an especially painful irony as his family came here because it was a safer place to be Christian, and decided to close when someone threw a rock through a front window while his college-age daughter was working the store alone. We were regulars there and hated to see them go; his daughter was the sweetest, most studious girl and she'd have these huge biology and anatomy texts out on the counter while ringing us up, and she never got impatient with the inevitable questions my son would ask about whatever was visible. So that's my impression of how we came together after 9/11 - we all donated and cried and remembered, and our local emergency services got some much-needed support and modernization, but a lot of those same people who wrap themselves in the flag also lashed out in ugly ways.

Nope. It's not something people in our area do, for the most part and not something we are interested in doing on our home.

Saw a LOT of flags when we lived in VA. Not so much a So Cal thing, at least in our city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter