Does anyone occasionally stay at Swan or Dolphin or go to Universal

I’m a new DVC owner but definitely plan to stay at the Swolphin some years. I own a small contract at CCV, and hope to bank or borrow some years to stay in a 2 bedroom. I’ll use the Dolphin for those occasional no-points years. It’s cheaper, more flexible and I get my Crescent Lake fix without buying another contract.

The Swan and the Dolphin and Swan Reserve are great places to stay. They make it very difficult for me to justify buying Boardwalk/Beach Club.

Their rates can vary wildly, and keep in mind they charge roughly an extra $100 a day between the resort fee and the parking (if you bring a car). Sometimes, cash rates at BW, YC, BC can actually be the better way to go.

Swan, Dolphin, and SR all have better sheets, mattresses, etc. than the Disney Hotels. Makes for a better sleep. We enjoy the suites in the SR, but the ones we have been in do not have a full kitchen.

Good luck!

We have used S&D many times over the years when our DVC points are low. We have tried all three - Swan, Dolphin, Reserve - and prefer the Dolphin the most because of the bar, along with the proximity to the pools. The Swan might be a couple steps closer to parks but we still like the Dolphin the best. Just remember to add $40 to advertised rate and another $40 if using the parking.

We used to stay there free (other than resort fee) on Marriott points before we became DVC members and always enjoyed our stay.

The earlier post that pointed out that luggage was moved from a DVC resort over to Swan/Dolphin really was great to hear.

Is the opposite also true that luggage will be moved from Swan/Dolphin to a DVC resort?

We go to Universal for a day or two most of our trips, but we Uber there. After Epic Universe opens we might add a couple nights at their hotels because Universal is getting as expensive as Disney and the free express passes make it worth it for us.

Instead of adding additional points? Asking because I am purchasing another contract, and my expectation is this will be the last. There might be an occasion when I borrow points and have a limited number the next year. Going to Universal or staying at Swan/Dolphin for a trip to rebalance my points seems like a decent way to rectify that.

Have you done that?
Haven't stayed at S&D. We are in Orlando in Feb and Oct for about 12 nights each. We go to Universal each week, so 4 times within those 2 trips. Because of that, we purchased their "Seasonal Passes" because their restricted datees don't affect our dates. Our girls, 9 and 7, love Uni and AI. And are very excited for Epic Universe!

The earlier post that pointed out that luggage was moved from a DVC resort over to Swan/Dolphin really was great to hear.

Is the opposite also true that luggage will be moved from Swan/Dolphin to a DVC resort?
I haven’t tried it in that direction, but it seems odd it would only work one way.

We aren't even checking out of the DVC for that one night to allow us to keep the bulk of the stuff there.
We’ve done the same, not from DVC but when staying at other TS. Adding up not just the cost of the Unlimited Express Passes for all of us for two days, but also parking (we almost always have a car), it’s been cheaper to book the UOR deluxe hotel room and not even sleep there.

Re booking at Swan/Dolphin/Reserve, does the Dolphin still have double beds, or have they switched to queens?

In August, we added on a night at the Swan Reserve before moving over to our DVC stay at Boulder Ridge and they did indeed move our luggage for us from the Swan Reserve to Boulder Ridge. It was very easy.

We were frequently staying at the Swan/Swan Reserve before becoming DVC members last spring. In the interest of points I imagine that we'll continue to stay there occasionally in the future should we be out of points/conserving points. The main pool there is arguably one of the best on property and there are plenty of dining options. Plus, the Crescent Lake adjacent location can't be beat.

Interestingly AMEX platinum has Swan and universal hotels in its collection hotels.
So booking through amex gets the 200 dollar rebate, breakfast and 100 dolllar resort credit and at the deluxe universal hotel a guaranteed 4 pm checkout so thats useful sometimes.

We stayed at Swan during our first trip to WDW. Nice hotel and rooms. The pizza we had in IlMulino was some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. We’ve stayed at the 3 premiere resorts at Universal 5 or 6 times in the last few years. We had AP there but not now. They really know how to treat their Express Pass carriers.

So booking through amex gets the 200 dollar rebate, breakfast and 100 dolllar resort credit and at the deluxe universal hotel a guaranteed 4 pm checkout so thats useful sometimes.
It is worth comparing the Amex rate to the rate you get directly from Lowes. They aren't always the same, which changes the calculus a little bit, especially for longer stays.

Interestingly AMEX platinum has Swan and universal hotels in its collection hotels.
Is it back again? I used to love getting the Hotel Collection credit when staying there but when I tried pricing it out last year it wasn't coming up as part of it anymore. They also upgraded us once to a corner suite and that room was fantastic...Swan that is.

They make it very difficult for me to justify buying Boardwalk/Beach Club.
This is why I never bought DVC way back in the day.

I was very close to buying the first DVC property in the 90s, but I looked at what I got with Swan and Dolphin and it did not add up. It helped that I had the highest status with Starwood at the time.

I am very glad I did not buy as I really don't have that much interest in going to Disney every year anymore.

It is worth comparing the Amex rate to the rate you get directly from Lowes. They aren't always the same, which changes the calculus a little bit, especially for longer stays.
Also make sure you check the card offers as well. I did 2 nights at the swan with the above offer, but there was also a 100 off 300 offer for Marriott in general - so I booked the swan reserve with 100 back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter