• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drinking around Epcot

And I enjoy the occasional beer, wine or single malt scotch (not at the same time!), and a night out on the town. But outside of Wine&Cheese, I find it odd and somewhat disappointing that behavior for some visiting EPCOT includes excessive drinking. Last week we saw more than a few large groups (wedding or pre wedding parties) drinking to excess with yelling, clear drunkenness, spilling of drinks, etc.... all the time among families and young kids in the park. Just seems the wrong type of fun in the wrong place and time, plus why at EPCOT and spend $8+ per drink, and not more party themed venues better suited and less expensive? I just do not get it, why have a bridal shower drinking at EPCOT?.

I as well hate when people have fun in ways that differs from how I have fun.

We did it last year to celebrate finishing the Disney Races we had completed. 3 of us managed a drink at every country, and actually combined Japan and Morocco to make sake bombs! (actually an amazing idea in theory but not in practice).

Lets just say Harry Potter world the next day was not as magical for me as it could've been. But I had a GREAT time at EPCOT, so to each their own :D

I don't know..a jalepeno margarita intriqyes me greatly...does it exist? ...dies it suck?

It is not super spicy - really just makes the lips tingle. It is like sweet and spicy food. Truly - never do a Drink Around the World Showcase without this margarita at La Cava. Everyone raves about the Avocado Magarita, and I have been promising to try one on every trip, but then I get there and I KNOW I can only have one margarita, and so I go back to the Jalapeno!

crazy question: has anybody tried to drink around the world/half the world for wine and food? now that would be a little crazy.

I've tried it a few times. Never finished, never remembered the last few booths. Don't recommend it.

Nowadays I try not to do F&W for long stretches, I'd rather just pop in, hit a few booths, then do something else to avoid over-drinking. Though now I think they reduced the size of the pours for beer, still wouldn't recommend it.

The Grey Goose and Grand Marnier Slush in France is awesome.

Also, when we do this, we start in Mexico. I have never done it the other way. I feel like ending with one of those margs (cava not stand) would be the nail in the coffin.
I can't wait to try those!!!

My must do's are definitely:

Mexico - Avocado Margarita, or Tequila Flight (or both!) from La Cava del Tequila
Germany - Schofferhofer Grapefruit Beer from Trinken (The Beer Cart)
Italy - Wine from Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar - They have an amazing selection, and we try and switch it up every time.
France - Grand Marnier Slush from The Champagne and Wine Kiosk (Super Size it if you're feeling bold that day!)
UK - Strongbow and Black from The Rose & Crown Pub (Strongbow Cider with a shot of Black Currant.)
Canada - Moosehead Lager is always an old faithful for the non adventurous type, but I highly recommend the Labatt Bourbon Barrel Ale, or The Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine from Trading Post Refreshments. Now that Canada has the new "Bar" in place, it's definitely become a favorite of mine.

The rest is what I'll get if we're "Drinking Around the World", and we hit all the countries:

Norway - Aquavit Glacier Shot from The Snack Cart
China - Plum Wine from Joy of Tea
America - On the current menu - Hazed Hoppy Session Ale from Block & Hans
Japan - Kirin Frozen Beer, or Cold Saki from Kabuki Cafe
Morocco - Lillet from Spice Road Table (This is my favorite out of this bunch. Recommend trying it at least once!)

Happy Drinking, and be safe! Let us know your favorites afterwards :).
Thanks... and I def will!!

I suspect they won't allow this, but of you want a real hit in the UK pavilion you need to look at the options for beer-tails. Yep, that's beer-based cocktails.

Looking at http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=128 they are clearly happy to serve mixed drinks, but what you really want is a half of Stella Artois mixed with a half of Strongbow Cider (not just a 'top' as they say on the menu). It's known as a snakebite (I should add for the purists that Stella Artois comes from Belgium, not the UK).

Another option to try that the lagoon seems to have been specially built for would be a 'Turbo Pimms'. So you need to get the Pimms in the UK with cucumber, ice, fruit etc, but without the lemonade (please, NEVER Sprite). You then mix it with a flute of champagne once you're over the bridge into France and bingo, you have a Turbo Pimms.

I have to jump around, because I need to finish with a Tipsy Ducks from Joy of Tea; otherwise, anything I drink after it won't taste as good. Plus, I have to start early, so I can finish before they run out of Tipsy Ducks mix.

it's fun. you don't get it.

I get it, just not in the context of the location of WDW park, surrounded by families and young kids as drunken adults stumble, puke, spill drinks, yell and scream etc.... Disney Springs or local watering holes, dance clubs, pubs, bars yea I get it, but why do it in a WDW park??

I get it, just not in the context of the location of WDW park, surrounded by families and young kids as drunken adults stumble, puke, spill drinks, yell and scream etc.... Disney Springs or local watering holes, dance clubs, pubs, bars yea I get it, but why do it in a WDW park??

I have seen plenty of people who've had too much to drink at WDW, but the majority of them were at resorts, not at the parks. The price of drinks in the parks slows down most guests.

There are many reasons why you might want to "drink around the world" such as:

Epcot offers many different kinds of drinks that you may not have access to at home.

You're on vacation and spending more on food and drink than you normally do at home.

You don't have to get up for work in the morning.

You're not driving afterward if you're at a Disney resort guest.

You worked hard all year and made sacrifices to have fun by enjoying fancy food and drink on your vacation.

You dieted a lot during the year you were saving for a trip to Epcot and want to let go because you're on vacation.

I can probably think of a few more reasons, but I need to get off line and iron my clothes for work tomorrow.

Any best tips for having a drink while watching Illuminations without having to use a Fast Pass? Usually we wind up near England and sip on beer or 2, but was wondering if there are any better spots? TIA

The Grey Goose and Grand Marnier Slush in France is awesome.

Also, when we do this, we start in Mexico. I have never done it the other way. I feel like ending with one of those margs (cava not stand) would be the nail in the coffin.

Tonyhb12, you can always do what I am going to do this year. I have ADRs for Norway (10:30 breakfast), France (late lunch), and Mexico (late dinner). I am starting in Norway after filling up with food, and ending in Mexico. I am using my reservations to pace myself through the countries. Though, I am getting the Mojito in Mexico. I HATE Tequila. lol!

I have seen plenty of people who've had too much to drink at WDW, but the majority of them were at resorts, not at the parks. The price of drinks in the parks slows down most guests.

Epcot offers many different kinds of drinks that you may not have access to at home.

You're on vacation and spending more on food and drink than you normally do at home.

You worked hard all year and made sacrifices to have fun by enjoying fancy food and drink on your vacation.

You dieted a lot during the year you were saving for a trip to Epcot and want to let go because you're on vacation.

I can probably think of a few more reasons, but I need to get off line and iron my clothes for work tomorrow.

I was not referring to WDW guests "drinking around the world" but group parties, including pre and post wedding groups, drinking to excess and all of the associated after effects in EPCOT, just wondering why have this type of experience there surrounded by families and kids rather then in pubs, bars and clubs geared to these events.

I was not referring to WDW guests "drinking around the world" but group parties, including pre and post wedding groups, drinking to excess and all of the associated after effects in EPCOT, just wondering why have this type of experience there surrounded by families and kids rather then in pubs, bars and clubs geared to these events.

Gotcha! I see your point and it's a valid one. :)

I have to admit I felt kinda crabby after reading your posts. I never drink to the point of stumbling and puking.

I guess I'm lucky never to have witnessed a bachelorette party getting tipsy at the parks. :)

I wish I could love this post :).

Because Epcot is geared for these events, at least to a degree. That's why they have so many bar options around the World Showcase. Disney has looked at the success of drinking as a draw for affluent, young professionals and cultivated it. People find it safer and more accessible than something like the Las Vegas scene. As a theme park, Epcot had more rides and pavilions stuttered in the last 30 years than it has opened, people are increasing disappointed with developments and rides in Future World and the World Showcase is getting it's first major enhancement in since 1986...which happens to replace the last major enhancement. But business is booming, in large part because of its bar scene in the WS and drink-friendly events like F&W. Disney knows this, they copied it as a business model to drive more business to California Adventure where they went all out with elecTRONICa and Mad Hatter dance parties (including stands to sell booze) as scheduled nighttime entertainment.

I understand people's concern, I can say I was surprised by all the drinking when a trade show took my family to a trade show during F&W in 2012, which was my first time back to Epcot since 1993 (we had been out west). I do agree many people lose sight of the context and situation of being surrounded by families, and sometimes it's annoying (disturbing even), but Disney sees those Drinking Around the World t-shirts and salivates over the incoming business.

Last edited:

Because you're on vacation and having a good time. And you're over exaggerating quite a bit, it's Epcot, not Seaside Heights. Tell your kids not to act like that when they grow up and move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter