Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

THREE???

I know the Houston one-what others?

Washington State at the mall and Illinois which another poster here said was very close to where they live. Actually, the one in Washington may have been a couple of days before this thread was started. Still, three within a week is plenty and I can see how people from outside the U.S. would feel about traveling here after seeing the news. People here seem to have become desensitized to it.

Last edited:
I think the open carry laws will make it more challenging for law enforcement to do their jobs in today's society. I actually think this is already the case. With all of the mass shootings and other shootings in the U.S., if someone is seen openly carrying a gun, whether it is legal or not, they are likely to be perceived as a threat in many areas (Texas and a few other areas being exceptions I'm sure). In Charlotte, the police contend that the man they killed had a gun. Since N.C. permits people to openly carry guns, it is interesting that this was a reason given that they confronted him.

You left out the fact that he was also rolling a joint and smoking it, which the officers were going to ignore because they were on a job to serve a warrant, then he proceeded to flash his weapon to them, which is what caused them to call for someone to come back them up while they confronted him. If he had just been open carrying (even though it was illegal for him to carry, he was a felon) they never would have had an interaction at all. It was the brandishing that caused the confrontation, as it would with anyone.

You left out the fact that he was also rolling a joint and smoking it, which the officers were going to ignore because they were on a job to serve a warrant, then he proceeded to flash his weapon to them, which is what caused them to call for someone to come back them up while they confronted him. If he had just been open carrying (even though it was illegal for him to carry, he was a felon) they never would have had an interaction at all. It was the brandishing that caused the confrontation, as it would with anyone.

That's a big assumption to make that there never would have been a confrontation if not for the other factors. None of us were there, and I have heard other versions of the story.

Of course.

Not at all funny. But go with what you know.

No, I do not carry due to wild animals, although there are bears and coyotes around.

I've been around guns all of my life. I fired my first gun when I was about 4. (My dad was a Special Service Police Officer.) And I've been around guns since then. In fact, I can't think of a time when there wasn't a gun in my house, other than when we lived overseas. So having a gun in my house or on my person doesn't seem or feel weird at all.

Now, I could make a joke and say I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy. Or that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

But really? I carry a gun for the same reason you probably have a fire extinguisher in your house. You aren't expecting a fire. You don't want a fire. You simply want to be prepared if there is a fire. And you certainly don't want a small fire to burn down your house because you weren't prepared.

You probably have homeowner's insurance, if you own your home. Again, you aren't expecting to use it. In fact, you probably hope you never have to call them. But if something happens, you will be glad you have it.

I'm not expecting trouble. I simply want to be prepared if there is trouble. And I don't want to be a sitting duck, waiting for the police to show up.

Actually, I got rid of the fire extinguisher, because it sat untouched until it expired and I wasn't going to risk relying on an expired fire extinguisher for small home fires. A box of baking soda has always served me perfectly well. And large home fires should be left to the professionals, imo.

I don't walk around with a fire extinguisher on my hip, either, even though I have been sitting at a restaurant table when the kitchen suddenly caught fire and we all had to be evacuated. It would have been inappropriate for me to go leaping into the kitchen wielding my personal fire extinguisher. Would have just increased the chaos. Better to get out of the way, and let the restaurant staff deal with it.

I also don't carry bear spray. A baseball bat. A cane for whackin'. Or even a pocket knife (unless I think I'm going to need it for some particular task).

Where do you draw the line, when it comes to personal preparedness?

For me, a cell phone is plenty. Depending on what kind of "war zone" you live in, though, I can definitely understand that you might need more. ;)

Actually, I got rid of the fire extinguisher, because it sat untouched until it expired and I wasn't going to risk relying on an expired fire extinguisher for small home fires. A box of baking soda has always served me perfectly well. And large home fires should be left to the professionals, imo.

I don't walk around with a fire extinguisher on my hip, either, even though I have been sitting at a restaurant table when the kitchen suddenly caught fire and we all had to be evacuated. It would have been inappropriate for me to go leaping into the kitchen wielding my personal fire extinguisher. Would have just increased the chaos. Better to get out of the way, and let the restaurant staff deal with it.

I also don't carry bear spray. A baseball bat. A cane for whackin'. Or even a pocket knife (unless I think I'm going to need it for some particular task).

Where do you draw the line, when it comes to personal preparedness?

For me, a cell phone is plenty. Depending on what kind of "war zone" you live in, though, I can definitely understand that you might need more. ;)
So we are back to the US being a "war zone." Okay. I'm not here to debate the benefits or detriments of carrying or owning a gun. I'm simply explaining why I have a carry permit. And if someone isn't comfortable traveling in the US, then they shouldn't do so. I wouldn't be comfortable traveling in what I believe are war zones, Iraq would qualify, as would downtown Detroit.

I did notice that you didn't say that you have canceled your home owner's insurance. If you still carry that, you should really cancel it. I mean really, it is better to simply get out of the way, right? (Sorry, that is a rhetorical question, no need to answer.)

There have been at least three mass shootings in the U.S. since this thread was started. The gang related ones don't even always make the news here, except a blip on the local news stations. Just keeping a running tally. Many are in denial about the gun issues here, which can be seen in the sarcastic responses about this being a "war zone".

http://news3lv.com/news/local/metro-investigating-shooting-at-starbucks-in-7200-block-of-s-rainbow

Speaking of guns and food service places -- this happened while someone was mentioning how people are not one tick away from violence.

And find me a mass "steak knife" event and I will consider your argument. Steak knives don't accidentally go off either.

ETA: I was trying to multiquote but couldn't. Obviously the steak knife statement/question is for the poster upthread.

Is this a joke?

It reminds me of the "I'm scared to go to Europe now" posts after the isolated terrorist bombings. America is more violent than France, yet whenever something happens in the media, many Americans freak out about traveling. I've responded to countless posts on this very subject written by Americans scared to travel outside of the US. It's the exact same thing as many people on this board starting similar posts after isolated violent episodes in other countries. It's interesting that some people are rolling their eyes at this poster, yet many people on these boards are scared to go to Mexico, France, Greece, etc. (I'm not implying that the people who are telling the poster not to be worried are the same people scared to travel outside of the US, but there are a number of people on these boards who are). I agree the poster doesn't need to worry, but she has the same fear as many people on this board has with travel after hearing about violence in another country.

Last edited:
One would hope, but you and I both know that isn't always the case. It is like saying that people who have a license to drive understand the gravity and responsibility that goes with driving. Unfortunately, plenty of people get behind the wheel of a car when they have been drinking, or they drive while texting, drive recklessly, or do a number of other things that put themselves and others in danger. At least *most* who are able to get a license to drive a car have to go through many hours of both online training and on the road training. The same can't be said for *many* that are able to get a license to carry.

Most = there are exceptions
Many =there are exceptions

I don't know of any formal training required to obtain a driver's license, at least not where I live (and my daughter will be eligible in 2 days).

Not saying that's a good thing, or that it's justification for lax firearms training, just clarifying.

I think the open carry laws will make it more challenging for law enforcement to do their jobs in today's society. I actually think this is already the case. With all of the mass shootings and other shootings in the U.S., if someone is seen openly carrying a gun, whether it is legal or not, they are likely to be perceived as a threat in many areas (Texas and a few other areas being exceptions I'm sure). In Charlotte, the police contend that the man they killed had a gun. Since N.C. permits people to openly carry guns, it is interesting that this was a reason given that they confronted him.

It's one thing to carry openly, it's quite another to brandish that firearm. Not commenting on the specific case, but a holstered pistol is surely viewed by law enforcement differently than one in a suspect's hands.

That said, I'm not a fan of open carry.

So we are back to the US being a "war zone." Okay. I'm not here to debate the benefits or detriments of carrying or owning a gun. I'm simply explaining why I have a carry permit. And if someone isn't comfortable traveling in the US, then they shouldn't do so. I wouldn't be comfortable traveling in what I believe are war zones, Iraq would qualify, as would downtown Detroit.

I did notice that you didn't say that you have canceled your home owner's insurance. If you still carry that, you should really cancel it. I mean really, it is better to simply get out of the way, right? (Sorry, that is a rhetorical question, no need to answer.)

Oh, but I'll answer anyway. It's one of the simple joys of participating in a thread.

Personal insurance, homeowners insurance, car insurance... these things are not, in my opinion, in the same category as carrying a fire extinguisher (or gun) everywhere you go. And to be honest, "bad guys" worry me a heck of a lot less than the apparent "good guys", such as the retired police chief Curtis Reeves, who killed a man for using a cellphone during movie previews. Without a gun, that'd have been an unpleasant confrontation. With a gun - a child is now an orphan. Or Michael Dunn, a software engineer, who got life in prison for killing a 17 year old boy for playing rap music too loudly in an SUV. Without a gun - a bit of loud cursing, maybe. With a gun, a youngster is dead and a man is in prison. These are not "bad guys", these are "upstanding citizens" and "responsible gun owners" right to the moment they aren't.

I'm not saying you're wrong for having a gun, btw. I do understand that your culture is very different (even if the US is not actually a literal "war zone").

Also, I think it's a bit unkind to tell someone not to visit your country, if they happen to be a bit worried about all the death and mayhem they've heard about. As a true ambassador for your country, wouldn't it be better to simply say, "I assure you, you'll be perfectly safe as long as you stay out of downtown Detroit. We'd be thrilled to have you visit!" After all, how do you get comfortable, except by trying it?

That's what I say, whenever someone expresses concern about how cold my country is. Whether they might get eaten by bears. And whether we have running water or electricity or Internet. :laughing:

Let me assure folks -the VAST majority of Americans don't own handguns
Buy many many Americans are hunters and have a hunting gun,rifle

Actually, "self defense" is now cited as the #1 reason for firearm ownership in the U.S. Handguns are becoming increasingly common. When I was a kid, hardly anyone I knew had one. Not so today.

Trust me, I would notice. Never been to Greeley but that one doesn't surprise me as much as Boulder. That's crazy given how liberal Boulder is.

ALL of the old hippies I know are armed to the teeth. If you think about it, gun control is kind of the antithesis of liberal logic anyway.

I live in CO and have only seen guns on police officers. But I'm in the city, so I'm guessing it's more common in rural areas. We had a scare at my work where the police got a call that someone was walking around nearby with a long gun. They never did find him. Same thing happened about a week ago a few blocks from where I live. Never found that guy either. Maybe they were hoaxes, but I'd say that many of us are on edge and that carrying a gun openly will get law enforcement attention here.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that the police won't even come out if there is a call about someone with a gun slung over their shoulder in an open carry state. They aren't doing anything wrong. If the person is acting erratically, obviously that is a different story, but there is nothing preventing people from walking around with their gun out. I know there have been multiple stories in the news about certain gun owners who want to do nothing but stir the pot and purposely walking around open carry cities with their ginormous gun over their shoulder and the police couldn't do a thing.

........ In Charlotte, the police contend that the man they killed had a gun. Since N.C. permits people to openly carry guns, it is interesting that this was a reason given that they confronted him.

I had heard that in Charlotte they were trying to serve a warrant on someone else. This man was in his car with Marijuana in plain sight. I think they said he was rolling a joint when he was seen through his car window. I think their seeing his gun was after the drugs.

Oh, but I'll answer anyway. It's one of the simple joys of participating in a thread.

Personal insurance, homeowners insurance, car insurance... these things are not, in my opinion, in the same category as carrying a fire extinguisher (or gun) everywhere you go. And to be honest, "bad guys" worry me a heck of a lot less than the apparent "good guys", such as the retired police chief Curtis Reeves, who killed a man for using a cellphone during movie previews. Without a gun, that'd have been an unpleasant confrontation. With a gun - a child is now an orphan. Or Michael Dunn, a software engineer, who got life in prison for killing a 17 year old boy for playing rap music too loudly in an SUV. Without a gun - a bit of loud cursing, maybe. With a gun, a youngster is dead and a man is in prison. These are not "bad guys", these are "upstanding citizens" and "responsible gun owners" right to the moment they aren't.

I'm not saying you're wrong for having a gun, btw. I do understand that your culture is very different (even if the US is not actually a literal "war zone").

Also, I think it's a bit unkind to tell someone not to visit your country, if they happen to be a bit worried about all the death and mayhem they've heard about. As a true ambassador for your country, wouldn't it be better to simply say, "I assure you, you'll be perfectly safe as long as you stay out of downtown Detroit. We'd be thrilled to have you visit!" After all, how do you get comfortable, except by trying it?

That's what I say, whenever someone expresses concern about how cold my country is. Whether they might get eaten by bears. And whether we have running water or electricity or Internet. :laughing:

Have either of you ever even been to Detroit? It's like Iraq? Dying to know what your basis for making that leap is.

Yes, I have. (You didn't expect that answer, did you?)

So, yes, I know what it is like. And no, I don't plan on going back any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter