Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

I know handguns are much more difficult to own in Canada. As for why one would carry a firearm into a restaurant as opposed to leaving a gun in their car, a car is not considered a safe place to store a gun & most advise against it.

Side note, my understanding is that bear spray is proven to be more effective against Grizzlies than a handgun.

Just as a quick answer. I do not know why so many people in the restaurant had guns that day. I can guess a few reasons though. Many of the group were riding Harleys and I suspect like is stated above, storing a gun in a car or somewhere? on a bike is not recommended.

Personally I do not carry a gun. DH wants me to but I am just not there yet. Bears are one of the problems and I do carry a "at least 20 ft shooting distance wasp spray" when I walk. I was told it is more effective than bear spray with bears since it shoots farther. We also make a lot of noise to avoid confrontation. So far no problems with a bear encounter. Wild bore are another problem and that is why most here carry a hand gun when walking.

Also I would assume that once you are dressed and you have your holster on and your gun in it, that it is just easier to continue to wear it than take it off and on.

In all seriousness, I asked the question because I'm curious. The only possible reason I can actually think of is because those who carry really believe they may have need to shoot somebody or something, at any time during the course of the day-to-day routine. But I don't want to presume anything - maybe there are other reasons.
Ok, I gave you some examples, does any of them make you feel any less concerned?

Just as a quick answer. I do not know why so many people in the restaurant had guns that day. I can guess a few reasons though. Many of the group were riding Harleys and I suspect like is stated above, storing a gun in a car or somewhere? on a bike is not recommended.

Personally I do not carry a gun. DH wants me to but I am just not there yet. Bears are one of the problems and I do carry a "at least 20 ft shooting distance wasp spray" when I walk. I was told it is more effective than bear spray with bears since it shoots farther. We also make a lot of noise to avoid confrontation. So far no problems with a bear encounter. Wild bore are another problem and that is why most here carry a hand gun when walking.

Also I would assume that once you are dressed and you have your holster on and your gun in it, that it is just easier to continue to wear it than take it off and on.

Yes, I would think if half the restaurant were armed, it must be a gathering of sorts. I've never seen anything like that - not even at NRA events LOL.

Yes, I would think if half the restaurant were armed, it must be a gathering of sorts. I've never seen anything like that - not even at NRA events LOL.

It was either a first for us too or a first that we had noticed. We were seated near the pathway to the restrooms and they were busy at one point so people had gathered to wait. It was while they were talking and gathered, that I first noticed the guns. If we had been sitting some where else I may not have even noticed.

But like I told the OP earlier I would not hesitate to travel in the US from her home to Orlando.

Ok, I gave you some examples, does any of them make you feel any less concerned?
I'm not concerned, I'm interested - I'm not anti-gun; never said I was. But other than your "putting on earrings" example, I guess I was pretty close to right in my assumption that the people assume they may be called on to use their guns at any time. Places where open-carry is prohibited or very uncommon, the people must not feel the same way, right? We've mentioned several times on this thread that everything is a matter of perception...

I agree, it's weirdly phrased. I've had my sleeping pill so my brain power is like yours right now lol
I hope you get some rest. I must confess I noticed you posting lately in what would have been the middle-of-the-night your time, and wondered if you were having trouble. :flower3:

I'm not the poster you quoted, but why does it matter? I mean it in all seriousness. There may be many different reasons why someone chooses to carry, from a survivor of abuse who worries the X may show up to an off duty cop to a marksman who feels it's just an extension of himself, like me putting on earrings.

I grant you if you have never seen someone carrying, it is reasonable to feel uncomfortable. Any time we are in a situation different than whatever are used to that's a normal reaction. Just don't let "uncomfortable" take over.

As for the restaurant, people who are licensed to conceal or open carry understand the gravity and responsibility that goes with carrying. They're not doing it so they can whip it out if there's too much ice in their drink or something.

One would hope, but you and I both know that isn't always the case. It is like saying that people who have a license to drive understand the gravity and responsibility that goes with driving. Unfortunately, plenty of people get behind the wheel of a car when they have been drinking, or they drive while texting, drive recklessly, or do a number of other things that put themselves and others in danger. At least *most* who are able to get a license to drive a car have to go through many hours of both online training and on the road training. The same can't be said for *many* that are able to get a license to carry.

Most = there are exceptions
Many =there are exceptions

I'm not concerned - I'm not anti-gun; never said I was. But other than your "putting on earrings" example, I guess I was pretty close to right in my assumption that the people assume they may be called on to use their guns at any time. Places where open-carry is prohibited or very uncommon, the people must not feel the same way, right? We've mentioned several times on this thread that everything is a matter of perception...
Maybe. The way you worded it previously sounded more like they were all wild-eyed yahoos looking for an excuse to start shooting up the joint. As opposed to a law-man who always carries, or someone who legitimately has a stalker or something else, where they are NOT expecting to use the gun at any given moment, but would like to have it on the slight chance that they do need it.

Where I live, I can conceal carry, but not open carry. Seems weird to me, but whatever. I would think knowing who is carrying is less unsettling than having someones coat open up and seeing concealed, but I guess yours and others concerns on seeing open carry explains some of the reasoning. People wig out. (not that you're wigging out, but some posters were :) )

I've lived in the US my entire life, and I've never seen a gun being carried in public except by a police officer.

I imagine some people are carrying concealed weapons. I try not to think about that when I'm in the States, but it's occasionally in the back of my mind. I can see how it does cause some people to worry when it's something you're not used to.

I think the open carry laws will make it more challenging for law enforcement to do their jobs in today's society. I actually think this is already the case. With all of the mass shootings and other shootings in the U.S., if someone is seen openly carrying a gun, whether it is legal or not, they are likely to be perceived as a threat in many areas (Texas and a few other areas being exceptions I'm sure). In Charlotte, the police contend that the man they killed had a gun. Since N.C. permits people to openly carry guns, it is interesting that this was a reason given that they confronted him.

I imagine some people are carrying concealed weapons. I try not to think about that when I'm in the States, but it's occasionally in the back of my mind. I can see how it does cause some people to worry when it's something you're not used to.

I'm the same way. I try not to think about it when I go to the States but occasionally I do think about the fact the person next in line at Walmart could have a gun in their bag.

I hope you get some rest. I must confess I noticed you posting lately in what would have been the middle-of-the-night your time, and wondered if you were having trouble. :flower3:

Thank you. For the past few weeks I have been waking up in the middle of the night and after an hour of tossing and turning I admit defeat and get out of bed.

I hope your cold clears up quickly :)

Oh, I'm sure they are. Personally I guess it just doesn't cross my mind hardly ever, although I do agree that gun violence is way out of hand and there needs to be stricter gun control laws, but I don't think it's such a widespread problem that it should instill fear in people. The most dangerous thing OP will be doing on that trip will be driving.

Well not sure what to say to a few people so will just say again thanks for all the information and good advice. I have spent some of today going over my maps and triptik so that I know where I am going. I think we are going to leave the day before and get across the border so that we start the day off in the States and ready to go.

As for guns, I have a very large family, a large amount of aquaintances and out of the several hundred people that I know there is one man who owns a gun. For hunting only. It is kept in a gun locker and hidden in the house and is registered. And he hasn't used it in at least 20 yrs. So guns are not something that is a concern of mine.

Savannah Georgia was a wonderful place to visit. The people were great, the food was good (except for not being able to visit one specific restaurant because it was closed, some boarding house? We had really wanted to go there maybe another time) and the area was amazing. I do not think that everything in the U.S.A. is horrible. I have been to many different States in the past. I have had many wonderful conversations with people and of course some not so much. Pretty normal for any place. And the poster was right about Charlotte. It was not at all a good experience for my daughter and I. Maybe if we ever went back we might have a better experience, but on that visit no it was not good. It was the same trip that we went to Savannah and had been looking forward to having a great experience in Charlotte as well. The hotel was not helpful in giving us directions or suggestions for meals, in fact they were rather rude. We went and visited one of the old houses that you can take a tour with. The house was amazing and we were glad we went however the tour guide yelled at my daughter and I and told us that windows were not for looking out of. ? We were told we were stupid for not knowing what the fort was across the water. My daughter and I left right away feeling really embarrased. We had planned on staying another night but decided to leave that day. I'm sorry for the poster who doesn't belive it but it happened and I'm sorry that it did as we had looked so forward to our visit.

I do feel that we will be okay and will use common sense, gas up at the half way point. We do have hotels booked for most of the trip so will be okay. I am looking forward to my trip.

tigercat

May I ask why?
Of course.
For the human eating porcupines, of course LOL
Not at all funny. But go with what you know.

No, I do not carry due to wild animals, although there are bears and coyotes around.

I've been around guns all of my life. I fired my first gun when I was about 4. (My dad was a Special Service Police Officer.) And I've been around guns since then. In fact, I can't think of a time when there wasn't a gun in my house, other than when we lived overseas. So having a gun in my house or on my person doesn't seem or feel weird at all.

Now, I could make a joke and say I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy. Or that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

But really? I carry a gun for the same reason you probably have a fire extinguisher in your house. You aren't expecting a fire. You don't want a fire. You simply want to be prepared if there is a fire. And you certainly don't want a small fire to burn down your house because you weren't prepared.

You probably have homeowner's insurance, if you own your home. Again, you aren't expecting to use it. In fact, you probably hope you never have to call them. But if something happens, you will be glad you have it.

I'm not expecting trouble. I simply want to be prepared if there is trouble. And I don't want to be a sitting duck, waiting for the police to show up.

Of course.
No, I do not carry due to wild animals, although there are bears and coyotes around.

I've been around guns all of my life. I fired my first gun when I was about 4. (My dad was a Special Service Police Officer.) And I've been around guns since then. In fact, I can't think of a time when there wasn't a gun in my house, other than when we lived overseas. So having a gun in my house or on my person doesn't seem or feel weird at all.

Now, I could make a joke and say I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy. Or that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

But really? I carry a gun for the same reason you probably have a fire extinguisher in your house. You aren't expecting a fire. You don't want a fire. You simply want to be prepared if there is a fire. And you certainly don't want a small fire to burn down your house because you weren't prepared.

You probably have homeowner's insurance, if you own your home. Again, you aren't expecting to use it. In fact, you probably hope you never have to call them. But if something happens, you will be glad you have it.

I'm not expecting trouble. I simply want to be prepared if there is trouble. And I don't want to be a sitting duck, waiting for the police to show up.
Excellent input - thank you! And the bolded caught my attention; during this period did you (or your family) feel particularly vulnerable or did being in a different environment where nobody had guns make a difference? Again, these are sincere questions from my interest only - I'm not trying to catch anybody out on anything. TIA :wave2:

Of course.

I assume you didn't have a gun when you were overseas because of the laws of that particular country prevented it? How did you feel while living there without a gun? If you didn't have a gun when you went out like you are used to, did you find you went out less? Did you find yourself more on edge when you went out? Was it something that weighed on your mind while you were living there? Just curious.

Excellent input - thank you! And the bolded caught my attention; during this period did you (or your family) feel particularly vulnerable or did being in a different environment where nobody had guns make a difference? Again, these are sincere questions from my interest only - I'm not trying to catch anybody out on anything. TIA :wave2:

Oops! I just posted almost the exact same thing.

Oh, I'm sure they are. Personally I guess it just doesn't cross my mind hardly ever, although I do agree that gun violence is way out of hand and there needs to be stricter gun control laws, but I don't think it's such a widespread problem that it should instill fear in people. The most dangerous thing OP will be doing on that trip will be driving.

If I grew up in the States, I probably wouldn't give it much thought either. I'd be used to the American gun laws. As a Canadian, guns are one of the things I do think/worry about it when I drive across the border. I understand why the fear exists.

I don't know that I was aware that there wasn't a gun in the house, at that time. I know now because I know that the countries we were in wouldn't have allowed it while we were living off base. On base would have been a different story.

I was a young child, think 6 years old. I am now 50. So I have no idea how my parents changed their life. And I can't ask them, they are gone. And my sister would be in the same boat I am, too young then, too old now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter