Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

No, you didn't. I didn't say you did. Did you think I said you did? (This gets a bit ridiculous after a while...)

My point was to the OP, that there certainly are many countries that our government recommends Canadians not venture into. And then I posted the list for her.
Sorry--I thought since you quoted me and bolded my saying some coutnries did that you were replying to me and not just proving inforamtion to the OP, but rather indicating you thought i was wrong in saying that some countries DO have the US as an advisory at the moment. I guess I misunderstood.
In any event, it sounds like OP's mind is eased and she is all set for her trip--OP I hope you have a nice time.

Sorry--I thought since you quoted me and bolded my saying some coutnries did that you were replying to me and not just proving inforamtion to the OP, but rather indicating you thought i was wrong in saying that some countries DO have the US as an advisory at the moment. I guess I misunderstood.
In any event, it sounds like OP's mind is eased and she is all set for her trip--OP I hope you have a nice time.
Yeah, just trying to let her know. I also found it really interesting that Canada has what seems to be a standing advisory on countries I've travelled to several times and would do again without hesitation - the Bahamas, Mexico, a surprising number of Caribbean islands and places in Central America. Also, France is currently at the highest level of advisory which is "Avoid all entry".

Yeah, just trying to let her know. I also found it really interesting that Canada has what seems to be a standing advisory on countries I've travelled to several times and would do again without hesitation - the Bahamas, Mexico, a surprising number of Caribbean islands and places in Central America. Also, France is currently at the highest level of advisory which is "Avoid all entry".

No it isn't. It is at "Exercise a High Degree of Caution". I'm actually headed there in a few days so recently checked (and checked again just now in case something had changed). I work in International Health so travel to typical "High Degree of Caution" spots and find it weird how recently, some of the "safe" spots that I travel through to get to Africa/Asia (like France and Belgium) are now at the same/similar warning level.

I also find it interesting when the US State Department and the Canadian Government advisories differ. I'm Canadian but work in the US, so look at both since I have to register my travel with the Canadian government but my work bases things on the State Department warnings (one of my organisation's rules is that we register our overseas travel, but the US will only accept it from American citizens, so I register with Canada even though I don't live there).

I live less than 30 minutes away from uptown Charlotte- there is no rioting or protesting here. You won't be going right through uptown (no interstates go through Charlotte, just pass nearby), so no worries there.

Gas should be back to normal by now (a day or so more at the most). We never had outages in Charlotte, but I know some areas of GA were short of gas for a few days.

Op you only have 350 miles in Georgia - I am sure one tank will make it
Op is taking I/75 from Canada to Orlando - doesn't go thru NC

Op you only have 350 miles in Georgia - I am sure one tank will make it
Op is taking I/75 from Canada to Orlando - doesn't go thru NC
I think they said they were going back part of the way on 77- runs right through NC and within 5-6 miles of uptown Charlotte (although there Is absolutely nothing to worry about, as I said- no interstates go into uptown, where the protests were).

My 15 year old daughter and I last summer went on a 6 week trip around the US- drove 11,000+ miles, never saw one gun nor had any issues anyplace at all. Went to Canada few years back and got mugged. I would not think twice about going back to Canada even though that happened.

The place was packed, we had to wait a bit to get a table. As we waited for our food we people watched and noticed that many of the large table were filled with couples where the man was open carrying. In fact I would estimate that at least half of the say 100 people in the place were open carrying. We both laughed and said well no one in the their right mind will commit a crime in this place. And if they are out of their mind, they are not going to be a bad guy for long. They was no discomfort or fear. In fact the atmosphere was more like a giant family gather for thanksgiving including the before meal prayer. Yes, most people here openly pray before they start their meal.

Not my Thanksgiving. I'm sure I have relatives back in Alabama that eat with guns, But I do my Southern cooking at home without weapons.

I honestly wonder for people who are comfortable with that....how would you feel if I walked in with a machete or an ax and sat down to eat. Just sat there with my ax smiling over at you. ????? Just eating my dinner like everyone else. Same thing.

No it isn't. It is at "Exercise a High Degree of Caution". I'm actually headed there in a few days so recently checked (and checked again just now in case something had changed). I work in International Health so travel to typical "High Degree of Caution" spots and find it weird how recently, some of the "safe" spots that I travel through to get to Africa/Asia (like France and Belgium) are now at the same/similar warning level.

I also find it interesting when the US State Department and the Canadian Government advisories differ. I'm Canadian but work in the US, so look at both since I have to register my travel with the Canadian government but my work bases things on the State Department warnings (one of my organisation's rules is that we register our overseas travel, but the US will only accept it from American citizens, so I register with Canada even though I don't live there).
Thanks for the correction - I was looking at the chart incorrectly. What's the level of advisory from the State Department (if any)?
My 15 year old daughter and I last summer went on a 6 week trip around the US- drove 11,000+ miles, never saw one gun nor had any issues anyplace at all. Went to Canada few years back and got mugged. I would not think twice about going back to Canada even though that happened.
:confused: Mugged?? In Canada?!? What an unthinkably impolite way to treat a guest. On behalf of the entire nation, please accept my apology. :teeth:

Not my Thanksgiving. I'm sure I have relatives back in Alabama that eat with guns, But I do my Southern cooking at home without weapons.

I honestly wonder for people who are comfortable with that....how would you feel if I walked in with a machete or an ax and sat down to eat. Just sat there with my ax smiling over at you. ????? Just eating my dinner like everyone else. Same thing.

It is funny you suggest that. Just a few weeks ago I had to remove 4 pre-teen barefooted kids from my creek. They were carrying a machete and looking for snakes to kill. I suggested they head over to their grandparents property as I did not want to be responsible for their well being.

With that in mind I suspect I would be much more uncomfortable with a machete on the table that people with open carry. I do not consider a machete to be a weapon for self defense. Same thing with an ax. I guess if anyone had waved their gun around, placed it on the table, or even unholstered it without a reason then the whole atmosphere would have changed but that did not happen.

Last edited:

Well first, if your machete or ax is holstered, and you're not smiling at me creepily, why would I think anything about you? If you're just eating your dinner like everyone else, then you aren't any problem at all. Why do you assume that people who carry are ravening monsters who are one tiny tick away from going insane on everyone? People who go into a restaurant with a holstered gun aren't brandishing the weapon at everyone they see, they're just sitting there at the restaurant eating, just like police officers do.

Well first, if your machete or ax is holstered, and you're not smiling at me creepily, why would I think anything about you? If you're just eating your dinner like everyone else, then you aren't any problem at all. Why do you assume that people who carry are ravening monsters who are one tiny tick away from going insane on everyone? People who go into a restaurant with a holstered gun aren't brandishing the weapon at everyone they see, they're just sitting there at the restaurant eating, just like police officers do.

Yes this is it exactly! Thanks for the better explanation than I gave!

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong; is it not mandatory for every household in Switzerland to be equipped with a firearm? If so, is it a hand gun or a long gun they have to have? Having never been to Switzerland, is there anyone that can report on whether or not open carry is allowed and if so, do you see a lot of people bearing arms in mundane situations like lunch at a diner?

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong; is it not mandatory for every household in Switzerland to be equipped with a firearm? If so, is it a hand gun or a long gun they have to have? Having never been to Switzerland, is there anyone that can report on whether or not open carry is allowed and if so, do you see a lot of people bearing arms in mundane situations like lunch at a diner?

I know that they have conscription (at least the men), but not sure about the "have to have a gun" (though I've heard the same thing before). Having spent time in/around Geneva, I never saw any guns - possible that they were concealed, but I've never seen an obvious one. However, my experience is only in/around Geneva, and might be different in other parts of the country.

Not a gun fan myself. But this is ridiculous. I'm reminded of that tiresome quote 'Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

Anything can become a weapon. It's all up to the person.

Can't live your life in fear.

Last edited:

I don't assume anything. I don't know the people in the (hypothetical) restaurant from anyone else and since I have a family member that was shot in a random drive by -- and thankfully, did not die -- I know that people can get shot randomly. If I'm sitting in a restaurant and 50 people are carrying, what are the chances ONE person in 50 is under influence of alcohol? Or drugs? Or ONE person is angry or paranoid? I think feeling the need for such a high level of protection at a family restaurant is paranoid in and of itself. I don't think this is me living my life in fear.

I don't assume anything. I don't know the people in the (hypothetical) restaurant from anyone else and since I have a family member that was shot in a random drive by -- and thankfully, did not die -- I know that people can get shot randomly. If I'm sitting in a restaurant and 50 people are carrying, what are the chances ONE person in 50 is under influence of alcohol? Or drugs? Or ONE person is angry or paranoid? I think feeling the need for such a high level of protection at a family restaurant is paranoid in and of itself. I don't think this is me living my life in fear.

I can see your fears, understand them and respect that you have them.

But you also have to take into account the area where w were eating. Many people will not leave their porches without carrying a gun of some kind. and with reason. There is a plethora of wild animals here and many would not hesitate to come after or even eat a human or pet. it is just smart to be protected, it is not paranoia of any kind. Having the extra protection against a crazy human is a just a bonus. This particular place does not sell alcohol or drugs but that does not mean that no one was using but then again I would rather have the protection from a crazy and not be forced to hide until help could get there.

I carry a gun.
This is interesting because just yesterday Hubby and I went out for lunch in the mountains of North Georgia. The place is a local favorite and tourists find out about it quickly. The food in incredible, the service is friendly, and the menu has things like local caught trout, catfish, okra and stewed tomatoes and jalapeño corn bread. In other words great Southern home cooking. Because of the mountainous curvy roads we get lots of sightseers and bikers.

The place was packed, we had to wait a bit to get a table. As we waited for our food we people watched and noticed that many of the large table were filled with couples where the man was open carrying. In fact I would estimate that at least half of the say 100 people in the place were open carrying. We both laughed and said well no one in the their right mind will commit a crime in this place. And if they are out of their mind, they are not going to be a bad guy for long. They was no discomfort or fear. In fact the atmosphere was more like a giant family gather for thanksgiving including the before meal prayer. Yes, most people here openly pray before they start their meal.
We have many places like this.

Instead of being upset, I actually feel pretty safe. Heck, like you said, who would commit a crime with a bunch of armed people sitting there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter