Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

The OP asked a legitimate question about travel. There was no need for ridicule. An honest answer and some reassurance is all that was required here.

And contrary to popular belief the CB is not the cut throat, say what you want, pile on the OP just because it's a message board place. I'd suggest all the new posters to remember that :)

No, it was a ridiculous question. If you really believe that people are lurking around every corner waiting to blow you away (which is how the OP reads), don't come here.

This is NOT an attack or me trying to be snarky with you, but can you help me understand why that makes you uncomfortable? Is the people with the gun? The gun itself? Do you feel like the person with the gun is a "bad guy" who will just shoot anytime?

Hmm. Well, as my grandson said "Why would someone bring a gun into a restaurant??" Guns are weapons, you need them either to defend yourself or attack. Were these men expecting to need guns to defend themselves in the restaurant? If so, that is scary, and maybe we should eat somewhere else! If they were planning an attack, also not good.

Hmm. Well, as my grandson said "Why would someone bring a gun into a restaurant??" Guns are weapons, you need them either to defend yourself or attack. Were these men expecting to need guns to defend themselves in the restaurant? If so, that is scary, and maybe we should eat somewhere else! If they were planning an attack, also not good.
I guess I can see that direction of thought. It makes sense but maybe I just look at guns as more of a mundane thing. I guess because I've been around them my whole life and seen many people open carry. I'm not uncomfortable and I don't feel like they are waiting for an impending attack.

Thank you for explaining why you would feel that way :)

No, it was a ridiculous question. If you really believe that people are lurking around every corner waiting to blow you away (which is how the OP reads), don't come here.

It's not hard to get that impression when posters here are always talking about how they need to take a gun everywhere to protect themselves.
People can't have it both ways. They can't give the impression that bad guys are lurking everywhere so they need their guns for protection, even just going to Target but then get huffy when someone else is concerned for their safety.

Last edited:
It's not hard to get that impression when posters here are always talking about how they need to take a gun everywhere to protect themselves.
People can't have it both ways. They can't give the impression that bad guys are lurking everywhere do they need their guns for protection, even just going yo Target but then get huffy when someone else is concerned for their safety.

WOW this is the best post in this thread. Such a valid point.

When I moved to Arizona it was quite the shock - people here literally walk around with guns on their hips (not all people, of course, but certainly more than the *zero* people in California who do this...). I think it's idiotic and absolutely paranoid.

OP - I'm also Canadian and I've travelled a fair bit in the US (as I was born there, and have family there).

My advice to you is to know your route and stick to it.

We once took the wrong exit in Syracuse, New York, and ended up in a place that did indeed look like a war zone. The buildings were boarded up, some of the traffic lights were broken (which was fine, because we weren't comfortable stopping anyway), the streets were empty of cars, and there were people just sitting in doorways and standing around. We were legitimately worried for our safety.

Now we're extra-careful to research our route.

If you do get turned around, stop at a gas station to ask for directions.

I don't think your concerns are entirely unfounded, but I do believe with proper planning you'll be just fine. Most Americans are lovely people, just like most Canadians.

And for the record... I don't get offended when people believe stereotypes about Canada, either. I think it's funny. :)
This is excellent advice. I once took a wrong turn in Detroit and I realized I was in a bad neighborhood when I noticed no one outside and the traffic lights were red and flashing and all the buildings were run down and were either boarded up or missing all of their windows. I just turned myself around and got back to where I came from. Planning you route is a good idea.

This is NOT an attack or me trying to be snarky with you, but can you help me understand why that makes you uncomfortable? Is the people with the gun? The gun itself? Do you feel like the person with the gun is a "bad guy" who will just shoot anytime?
I know personally as someone not used to seeing guns they make me feel uncomfortable. As I have no experience with guns they seem scary and I probably have a paranoia that they might accidentally go off. I'm sure it doesn't work that way but when I see a spider I have a paranoia that it might jump on me even if it probably won't.

:thumbsup2It wouldn't even have to be a gun...personally, if someone sat down next to me with any kind of weapon out I'd feel that way.

I generally don't take a weapon out to eat. That seems paranoid.

There are presently official Canadian Government travel advisories in place for 111 countries - the US is NOT one of them.

No, but it's obtuse to say it doesn't ever happen. There were 2 killed in a gang-related shooting in Calgary on Wednesday night. Practically all the violent crime here is ethnic gang on ethnic gang and there's no way their guns are legal, despite our strict gun laws.

In our city of 1.2 million there were 22 murders in 2014 (this includes the worst mass-murder in our history - 5 killed using a knife), as compared to say, Dallas with a very similar population where there were 116. That's a lot more, but statistically Dallas is still a very safe place.

:wave2: Here you go - I hope it provides some peace of mind. FWIW, 7 of the countries with travel advisories are places I'd take a cruise to any day (and have, without any hint of fear). Have a nice trip.
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
Did I say Canada was one of them? No. I beleive Australia is one. Don't recall who else.
I also know that DH's company employs a firm which helps people who have major issues while on work trips and they also send out safety alerts to employees with scheduled travel to certain areas. He gets things like emails about not eating raw veggies in India (no salad), and not wearing epsnive sungalsses, watches, etc in Brazil---and forwarded me the email a couple of months ago that he found sad---it was a warning to stay away from any protests in the US as they are turning violent and also a rundown on how to interact with police officers in a safe manner if pulled over or otherwise questioned for any reason.
He never really thinks any of hte warnings are huge big deals--but then he travels constantly so he sees how normal most places are----someone who travels less mgiht well be alarmed and ask some questions. It's reasonable to do so. And reasonable to calm that person'S fears without being condescending or rude, IMO

OP is the same person who will never visit Charleston (you know, one of the top tourist destinations in the U.S. and regularly voted the most friendly city) because everyone was mean to her during her last stay. Not one or two people, but everyone.

I am thinking that there are some embellishment issues.
OK, I was not aware of any history---maybe that colors the reaction the OP got. I have to say the reactrion from many sure doesn't make the US seem like a friendly place a tourist would want to visit. Sigh.

This is interesting because just yesterday Hubby and I went out for lunch in the mountains of North Georgia. The place is a local favorite and tourists find out about it quickly. The food in incredible, the service is friendly, and the menu has things like local caught trout, catfish, okra and stewed tomatoes and jalapeño corn bread. In other words great Southern home cooking. Because of the mountainous curvy roads we get lots of sightseers and bikers.

The place was packed, we had to wait a bit to get a table. As we waited for our food we people watched and noticed that many of the large table were filled with couples where the man was open carrying. In fact I would estimate that at least half of the say 100 people in the place were open carrying. We both laughed and said well no one in the their right mind will commit a crime in this place. And if they are out of their mind, they are not going to be a bad guy for long. They was no discomfort or fear. In fact the atmosphere was more like a giant family gather for thanksgiving including the before meal prayer. Yes, most people here openly pray before they start their meal.

Drove from Indiana to Tampa alone with my boys ages 7 and 9 in June. Would not hesitate to do it again for safety reasons.

Well, I take that back.... their safety was at risk a few times because I was so tired of their bickering in the back seat I almost pulled over and let them have it.

OP, you will fine. The pipeline is fixed. As for the situation in N.C. , by the time you cone down to visit, it will be a mere thought as a bigger news event will have happened to take the spotlight away.

I live in an open carry state and I don't feel threatened. The ones who shoot up stuff usually hide their weapon until the last minute. We all dont carry guns wanting to kill people.

Did I say Canada was one of them? No. I beleive Australia is one. Don't recall who else.
I also know that DH's company employs a firm which helps people who have major issues while on work trips and they also send out safety alerts to employees with scheduled travel to certain areas. He gets things like emails about not eating raw veggies in India (no salad), and not wearing epsnive sungalsses, watches, etc in Brazil---and forwarded me the email a couple of months ago that he found sad---it was a warning to stay away from any protests in the US as they are turning violent and also a rundown on how to interact with police officers in a safe manner if pulled over or otherwise questioned for any reason.
He never really thinks any of hte warnings are huge big deals--but then he travels constantly so he sees how normal most places are----someone who travels less mgiht well be alarmed and ask some questions. It's reasonable to do so. And reasonable to calm that person'S fears without being condescending or rude, IMO
No, you didn't. I didn't say you did. Did you think I said you did? (This gets a bit ridiculous after a while...)

My point was to the OP, that there certainly are many countries that our government recommends Canadians not venture into. And then I posted the list for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter