Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

OP is the same person who will never visit Charleston (you know, one of the top tourist destinations in the U.S. and regularly voted the most friendly city) because everyone was mean to her during her last stay. Not one or two people, but everyone.

I am thinking that there are some embellishment issues.

My two son's (both 36) and I will be driving to Florida from Ontario, Canada in Oct. After reading, listening and watching the news I am worried and scared about driving through the States. Going down on I75 and coming back along I77 and I79. With no gas in parts of Georgia, and all the violence going on is scaring me. With all the negativity all around I am worried that we might come upon it. With all the guns and people shooting and getting shot, it seems like it is a war zone. I realize that not all the States are like that but some of the areas that we will have to travel through have or are having a lot of trouble.

We can't afford to fly the 3 of us down to Florida so that is out. Is it really that bad? Some of the information I am getting is from people that actually live in some of the States that we are going through, so not all information is from the news.

tigercat

You will be fine.

The OP asked a legitimate question about travel. There was no need for ridicule. An honest answer and some reassurance is all that was required here.

And contrary to popular belief the CB is not the cut throat, say what you want, pile on the OP just because it's a message board place. I'd suggest all the new posters to remember that :)

Op, you will be fine. Just use common sense, and ignore the comments on here that are rude.

The OP asked a legitimate question about travel. There was no need for ridicule. An honest answer and some reassurance is all that was required here.

And contrary to popular belief the CB is not the cut throat, say what you want, pile on the OP just because it's a message board place. I'd suggest all the new posters to remember that :)

You could have fooled me considering that I've been reading the community board for over a year I see exactly that.

Luckily my parents (in their 70's) don't have concerns like this.
But when they do act like butt heads I do call them out lol.
In fact I just told my mom she was being a weirdo today when she was freaking out about finding space in the fridge to put the stewed tomatoes we just made.
Sometimes you need someone to tell you when you're being a weirdo so you'll take a step back and realize it for yourself.
And sometimes you need people to be passionate and understanding and not call you names. Didn't your mom (when she wasn't being a butt head) tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say just don't say anything at all.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a ridiculous worry. I live in the States and I have literally never seen a gun in my day to day life (except on police officers of course).

I would not say that. Tons of people are carrying. A few open carries in MO but a ton of conceal and carry. Plus gun shows all over the place always it seems.

Now as far as OP, getting into a situation, that is unlikely. Just don't stay in cities with protests going on.

I can understand your concerns, OP. There are a lot of people in denial about the problems here in the U.S. Especially people who aren't as likely to be affected by some of these issues. The person who pointed out that Americans have the same perceptions of Mexico was spot on. The fact that the U.S. is seen as a dangerous and violent place by many people from other countries should be a wake up call. I'm sure you will be fine - just be safe in where you stay, when you stop for gas, etc as others have suggested. And don't mind the rude posters. There are always a few who think it's okay to be nasty because they're behind a keyboard and not face to face with you.

Given how many Americans refuse to set foot near any part of Mexico at all based on media reports of violence---and knowing how unlikely a normal person is to run into it unless in a border town, I doubt it is a joke. There are offical warning about visiting the states in some countries now. Seems silly when you live there and KNOW it is localized and not that hard to avoid---but media can make it seem so mcuh more prevelant than it is.
There are presently official Canadian Government travel advisories in place for 111 countries - the US is NOT one of them.
Even if your numbers are valid, there aren't stories coming out of Canada almost every day about mass shootings and violence like there is from the US.
No, but it's obtuse to say it doesn't ever happen. There were 2 killed in a gang-related shooting in Calgary on Wednesday night. Practically all the violent crime here is ethnic gang on ethnic gang and there's no way their guns are legal, despite our strict gun laws.
It'll be OK, tigercat. Just be smart about where you drive/go and you'll be fine. If you are truly worried about protests, skirt around those cities where you hear they are occurring. Plan ahead for a full gas tank, and if you get below 3/4 of a tank, stop and fill up when you can. It might be annoying, but you won't run out of gas. You'll be fine.
What worries me is how the US is being seen internationally. Whether we want to think we are that way or not, it sounds as if the rest of the world is seeing us as a fairly violent society.
In our city of 1.2 million there were 22 murders in 2014 (this includes the worst mass-murder in our history - 5 killed using a knife), as compared to say, Dallas with a very similar population where there were 116. That's a lot more, but statistically Dallas is still a very safe place.

I do appreciate all the replies. I am less concerned now. I will use common sense and drive the speed limit. Filling up when 1/2 empty is a good thing. I have always enjoyed the drive before so hopefully this time will be no different. Thanks for the people who were understanding and gave me helpful advice.
tigercat
:wave2: Here you go - I hope it provides some peace of mind. FWIW, 7 of the countries with travel advisories are places I'd take a cruise to any day (and have, without any hint of fear). Have a nice trip.
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

No, but it's obtuse to say it doesn't ever happen. There were 2 killed in a gang-related shooting in Calgary on Wednesday night. Practically all the violent crime here is ethnic gang on ethnic gang and there's no way their guns are legal, despite our strict gun laws.

Show me where I said it doesn't happen..

I can understand your concerns, OP. There are a lot of people in denial about the problems here in the U.S. Especially people who aren't as likely to be affected by some of these issues. The person who pointed out that Americans have the same perceptions of Mexico was spot on. The fact that the U.S. is seen as a dangerous and violent place by many people from other countries should be a wake up call. I'm sure you will be fine - just be safe in where you stay, when you stop for gas, etc as others have suggested. And don't mind the rude posters. There are always a few who think it's okay to be nasty because they're behind a keyboard and not face to face with you.

I would have exactly no problem telling someone that this is a ridiculous worry and it's crazy to compare the US to a war zone to their face.

Try not to worry op. I feel a bit apprehensive every time I travel to a different country. We drove down to Florida last month from Ontario for the first time. We loved the drive! We're heading down again in December but I'm sure I'll feel nervous again when I cross the border.

Add me to the never seen a gun camp.

Who is the elderly person being discussed? I thought it was the OP at fist but her profile says 60. So I have no idea who it is.

60 is definitely not elderly. People make it sound like we are talking about a 90 year old

I don't think it's lacking empathy at all, actually.

I just think that being kind is important. There is a kinder way to get that opinion across. Life is short, as I was reminded again by the passing of a coworker two days ago. Why not make the effort to be kind to one another. It just gets discouraging to see the way people treat each other.

I just think that being kind is important. There is a kinder way to get that opinion across. Life is short, as I was reminded again by the passing of a coworker two days ago. Why not make the effort to be kind to one another. It just gets discouraging to see the way people treat each other.

Your accusatory statement about someone lacking empathy is one of the most unkind posts on this thread.

It's always interesting when perception comes into play. And there most certainly is a perception held by many who do not live in the US (even by many who do live in the US) that guns have become an unwanted part of life in the US.
And yes, the perception does come from media coverage of violence involving guns... it is not rare & not sporadic - it seems to happen weekly and at times daily. It is as wide spread as the geography of the country itself.

Are some becoming desensitized to
the incidents? Maybe. But to say it is rare or infrequent is simply not the case. Recent history bears out the numbers - a quick Google search brings up places, dates, numbers, wounded, & deceased.
An elementary school in Newtown CT, a high school in Columbine, a workplace party in California, a University in Virginia, Fort Hood in Texas, a Church in Charleston, a Movie theater in Denver, LAX in Los Angeles, a nightclub in Orlando - and last night a Macy's near Seattle.. People shooting at people, police shooting at people, On streets, in a park, in cars, in homes, at malls or on public transit... And often it's followed by large protests, gatherings, riots carried live on TV. Oh it's there and it's not just in certain parts of the country or in certain kinds of communities. Hence the perception. American news channels & International news channels put it right out there on the record. In plain sight.

It does scare some people.

The OP is worried and scared by her own admission - and who are any of us to question her very real emotions? Those emotions are based on what is clearly being covered in the media - what she is watching. Some are more sensitive to it then others. It isn't fiction, it's repeated incidents being reported - sensationalized or not - if it wasn't happening there would be nothing to report.

Tigercat, you will be fine. Many, many make the same trip on the same roads all year long as you will make. And those many, make the trip without incident or crisis. Be smart, be informed & be safe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter