Driving to Florida soon from Ontario, worried and scared

A liberal friend who is, apparently gun phobic, was at my house for a smallish gathering. Another guest was the wife of a police detective. Her husband came over as soon as his shift ended. Still in his three piece suit. When he removed his jacket, you could see his holstered gun and badge. The friend didn't say anything that night and stayed for another hour, but apparently told many people how inappropriate it was for a Marine (former active and now reservist), police detective, and firearms instructor to not have gone home to change. I let the friend know that even if he had gone home, the detective would have been carrying concealed when he came over and I have no problem with that. Guess who's no longer welcome at my house when any of my many law enforcement friends are invited.

It'll be OK, tigercat. Just be smart about where you drive/go and you'll be fine. If you are truly worried about protests, skirt around those cities where you hear they are occurring. Plan ahead for a full gas tank, and if you get below 3/4 of a tank, stop and fill up when you can. It might be annoying, but you won't run out of gas. You'll be fine.

What worries me is how the US is being seen internationally. Whether we want to think we are that way or not, it sounds as if the rest of the world is seeing us as a fairly violent society.

I do appreciate all the replies. I am less concerned now. I will use common sense and drive the speed limit. Filling up when 1/2 empty is a good thing. I have always enjoyed the drive before so hopefully this time will be no different. Thanks for the people who were understanding and gave me helpful advice.
tigercat

It'll be OK, tigercat. Just be smart about where you drive/go and you'll be fine. If you are truly worried about protests, skirt around those cities where you hear they are occurring. Plan ahead for a full gas tank, and if you get below 3/4 of a tank, stop and fill up when you can. It might be annoying, but you won't run out of gas. You'll be fine.

What worries me is how the US is being seen internationally. Whether we want to think we are that way or not, it sounds as if the rest of the world is seeing us as a fairly violent society.

Yeah, I have to say as a Canadian that you are looked at as a very violent society by most people I know...I feel sympathy for the OP because travelling to a country whose crime rates and violence are way beyond your own country can be quite a step out of your comfort zone...Having said that, by far most Canadians I know are not concerned about travelling to the US (me included), especially those that travel there frequently, but I can see why some would be. As a previous poster said no difference in some Americans not wanting to travel to say Mexico (despite the millions of Mexicans who live normal lives there everyday)...the levels of violence and crime seem scary because that is not what you are used to...

OP you will be fine. I understand your concerns but remember to just stay away from the areas that are a real threat.

I can't believe how nasty some people here can be. Would you talk to your grandmother this way if she had the same concerns? Would you want the internet experts to go off on her and belittle her? Geez.

tiger cat, I can understand being nervous, but truly, you have nothing to worry about. When dh and I travel from NY to Florida, we always fill up before dark, we reserve hotels before we leave, knowing we'll be in a good area. We got stuck once in a very bad area of DC late at night, needing gas, not having a hotel reservation, and it was scary. Just pre-plan your route, and you'll be fine.

According to one CNN article I found, if you define mass shootings as ones in which 4 or more people are wounded or killed, there were 136 mass shootings in the first 164 days of 2016. Pretty close to daily. Someone unthread said seeing guns on people is normal for Americans. It is not for me!
I am highly suspect of those numbers (one CNN article??) but let's say it's correct. I would bet the majority ate concentrated in a couple areas and are drug/gang related, not random mass shootings happening everywhere all the time. Media LOVES to sensationalize, and so do others, for whatever reason.

OP you will be fine. I understand your concerns but remember to just stay away from the areas that are a real threat.

I can't believe how nasty some people here can be. Would you talk to your grandmother this way if she had the same concerns? Would you want the internet experts to go off on her and belittle her? Geez.

Luckily my parents (in their 70's) don't have concerns like this.
But when they do act like butt heads I do call them out lol.
In fact I just told my mom she was being a weirdo today when she was freaking out about finding space in the fridge to put the stewed tomatoes we just made.
Sometimes you need someone to tell you when you're being a weirdo so you'll take a step back and realize it for yourself.

Luckily my parents (in their 70's) don't have concerns like this.
But when they do act like butt heads I do call them out lol.
In fact I just told my mom she was being a weirdo today when she was freaking out about finding space in the fridge to put the stewed tomatoes we just made.
Sometimes you need someone to tell you when you're being a weirdo so you'll take a step back and realize it for yourself.

Um ok then.

Call elderly people out if it makes you feel superior. You go girl!

I can see how someone from another country could be concerned about visiting the US after seeing some of the media footage with all of the violent protests. The good thing is that these incidents are extremely isolated and will blow over. Other incidents will crop up in different areas from time to time, but they will blow over too. When traveling, I would avoid the protest areas, stop for gas in the day time, and make sure my cell phone was charged in case of an emergency. That's pretty much it. I was robbed once while driving alone and getting gas at night, so I never did that again.

I've lived in the US my whole life. (55 years) Other than cops or a soldier, I have NEVER seen a person carrying a gun. Never.

I live in Georgia, drove home from Orlando last Sunday after the pipe line break. No problems getting gas and I got gas this morning, there are no problems and the prices are going down.

It's a message boards not a family dinner at Granny's. You could be a 14 year old kid for all we know.

And for the OP - you're being ridiculous.

So I guess it's carte blanche for demeaning comments because it's a message board? Tis the internet. OK. I'm out.

Add me to the never seen a gun camp.

Who is the elderly person being discussed? I thought it was the OP at fist but her profile says 60. So I have no idea who it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter