DVC Refurbishment Tracker

This is not, historically, how Disney has typically dealt with refurbs (excluding emergencies). They just reduce the inventory available.
They can only do that if they block off rooms before members start booking the rooms. After that, they do have to relocate guests if there isn't enough availability left for the time they want to do the refurb. I haven't tacked this closely, but it seems to me that they do not usually plan the refurbs that far ahead. YMMV.

If I had to guess, I'd bet they are going to use the excuse of the VDH and Pixar openings to delay the VGC remodel as they could say, we just cant have non-stop construction in that path from Pixar Place to the park side of the VGC wing of Grand Cal with no breaks. Got to let those cash rate customers enjoy that walkway into DCA. Also, I don't think they want to make VGC too awesome while they are just taking off the plastic wrap of the VDH interiors. If we are lucky, September 2024. If not, very early 2025...

I just want it complete before our (likely) December 2025 trip! I already figure it won't happen before our June 2024 trip since they haven't officially mentioned it at all yet. But we want to do a 1-bedroom for that December trip and it would be great to have a refurbished room by then since my husband or I will have to share the living room bed with our son (safety reasons.) I don't want either of us to be stuck on a pull out couch.

Prior to VDH being an option it seemed like a popular choice for the hotel management at the Grand Cal was to give villa stays that had to be taken offline, rooms at the club level (a suite or multiple regular rooms) and/or club level access to make up for not being able to have a kitchen and such. This would be my choice vs VDH just due to the walk and such. Also, having access to the club room for the food and drinks. Sign me up. I'd gladly "deal" with that and not cook or have to go shopping for food.

I would NOT want to be moved to VDH. I would rather be moved to a regular hotel room at the Grand Cal. Though I really would like a proper fridge of some sort and not a mini-fridge. Or club level, but I don't see that happening at all!

But we want to do a 1-bedroom for that December trip and it would be great to have a refurbished room by then since my husband or I will have to share the living room bed with our son (safety reasons.) I don't want either of us to be stuck on a pull out couch.
Assuming the furniture is very similar to the WDW resorts there is no need to sleep in the living room if it's just the 3 of you.

We keep furniture sliders in our owners locker and they will be small enough for you to slip in your luggage.

We move the chair that is in the bedroom out to the living room. We then move the sleeper chair into the bedroom.
Sometimes we have to move a desk as well but not often.

This is not, historically, how Disney has typically dealt with refurbs (excluding emergencies). They just reduce the inventory available.

I’m sure someone with 30 years of memory will give some counter examples where they mass-relocated people (I think they were forced to at SSR during the refurb there when a building failed it’s initial fire inspection) but they clearly prefer to save up the 3% of points that they own to block off the rooms for refurbs, as it’s nearly always what they do now. Based on what they’ve done before, it certainly seems that they can use several years of points to block rooms for one refurbishment.
I agree with your sentiment completely. However, I just want to clarify the 2-3% that Disney owns is not used to take inventory offline for refurbishment. That is Disney's points to book as they wish and drive what we see on the cash site.

I assume the space for refurbishment (to take offline) comes from the fact they sell 51 weeks out of 52 weeks of points for the year. Also the lockoff premium (booking the lockoffs as studios and 1 bedrooms) eats up more points than sold. So this gives more than enough excess inventory in the system each year for taking offline. We know with refurbs happening every 7 years they can take a room offline in theory for 7 weeks during that time window without an issue, just from selling 51 vs 52 weeks.

they sell 51 weeks out of 52 weeks of points
That’s where the minimum 2% comes from that they’re required to own, per Florida TS law. They usually own more than that as a result of foreclosures, unsold inventory, and (in past years, anyway) ROFR.

As far as I can remember, refurb history doesn’t go too much farther back than 2016, when the new 7/14 year refurb schedule took the place of the 12/25 year schedule. BRV was getting a runny-dink refresh, BWV got a little refresh, then BCV got a more elaborate refresh (they replaced the whirlpool tubs with bubblers). I don’t think there was much refurb activity before that - OKW would have been the only resort old enough, anyway. And I think they’ve been playing catchup and developing a procedure since then, sort of feeling their way.

IOW, I don’t use past performance to predict the future!

Last edited:
That’s where the minimum 2% comes from that they’re required to own, per Florida TS law. They usually own more than that as a result of foreclosures, unsold inventory, and (in past years, anyway) ROFR.
No this is not the same thing. The 2% of ownership is actually about them needing to own 2% in order to maintain voting rights to the units. The selling of the 51 vs 52 weeks is for explicitly to have overflow for maintaining the units.

Edit: They sell only 51 7 day periods for each vacation home, this is distinctly different than DVD maintaining 2% ownership of each unit as required by law in order to be the proxy vote for the full unit.

1688676950037.png

Edit: This section lays out why they need to maintain 2% but I actually think it is 5% for most of the DVC Properties since they are under 500 units (which is different than rooms). So as you can see they sold 51 out of 52 weeks but own 2-5% of the 51 weeks at minimum as required to maintain the voting proxy for each unit and the board member. Again two distinctly different things. I verified this reading as much long ago with DVC executives back during the point rebalancing debacle of 2019/2020 when I got them on the phone.
1688677204756.png

Last edited:
No this is not the same thing. The 2% of ownership is actually about them needing to own 2% in order to maintain voting rights to the units. The selling of the 51 vs 52 weeks is for explicitly to have overflow for maintaining the units.

Edit: They sell only 51 7 day periods for each vacation home, this is distinctly different than DVD maintaining 2% ownership of each unit as required by law in order to be the proxy vote for the full unit.

View attachment 775467

Edit: This section lays out why they need to maintain 2% but I actually think it is 5% for most of the DVC Properties since they are under 500 units (which is different than rooms). So as you can see they sold 51 out of 52 weeks but own 2-5% of the 51 weeks at minimum as required to maintain the voting proxy for each unit and the board member. Again two distinctly different things. I verified this reading as much long ago with DVC executives back during the point rebalancing debacle of 2019/2020 when I got them on the phone.
View attachment 775468
So, 1 week of 52 does not equal 2% of points?

1/52 = 1.92%

And “points” are just a convenient way for DVC to quantify ownership, which on my deeds is stated as a certain percentage of the building. So saying they own a minimum of 2% of a given resort or 1 week out of every 52 at that resort are just two ways of saying the same thing.

Last edited:
So, 1 week of 52 does not equal 2% of points?
Sure that’s roughly 2%, but that isn’t retained ownership because full ownership is 51 weeks (not 52). The resort only sells 51 weeks so if someone bought all 51 weeks of the resort they own the full resort and Disney owns nothing. However most people refer to the 2% as the section I highlighted above which is about them maintaining voting rights and board members for the units.

I just felt it was different to highlight the points Disney owns they do not need to book rooms for renovations/maintenance with them. The resort is undersold/underrepresented by 1 week (again full ownership is defined by 51 weeks) to provide that cushion.

Also this 1 week cushion Disney doesn’t get to book to sell out as cash outside of breakage because again they don’t own it it’s just never sold. So eventually it might end up in breakage if not utilized for maintenance at some point.

Edit: If your interpretation is correct then for VGC (or even VGF prior to Big Pine Key) which has less than 500 units for sure they must have sold only 49.4 weeks (not 51). However, if you look at the POS for VGC it says it is 51 7 day periods. Again because full ownership of the resort is defined by 51 weeks and then on top of that Disney must own 2-5% of the 51 weeks (the other 1 week just doesn’t exist and provides the cushion).

I think we are closely saying the same thing I’m just nuancing it with Disney doesn’t one that missing week no one does. And the 2% Disney owns is something completely different and on top of the undersold 1 week.

Last edited:
Sure that’s roughly 2%, but that isn’t retained ownership because full ownership is 51 weeks (not 52). The resort only sells 51 weeks so if someone bought all 51 weeks of the resort they own the full resort and Disney owns nothing. However most people refer to the 2% as the section I highlighted above which is about them maintaining voting rights and board members.

I just felt it was different to highlight the points Disney owns they do not need to book rooms for renovations/maintenance with them. The resort is undersold/underrepresented by 1 week (again full ownership is defined by 51 weeks) to provide that cushion.

Also this 1 week cushion Disney doesn’t get to book to sell out as cash outside of breakage because again they don’t own it it’s just never sold. So eventually it might end up in breakage if not utilized for maintenance at some point.
Okay. I think you and I are saying the same thing, looking from different perspectives.

Not sure what to make of this, but unlike VGC, VDH's POS lists 52 weeks of availability periods:
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 3.57.53 PM.png

Assuming the furniture is very similar to the WDW resorts there is no need to sleep in the living room if it's just the 3 of you.

We keep furniture sliders in our owners locker and they will be small enough for you to slip in your luggage.

We move the chair that is in the bedroom out to the living room. We then move the sleeper chair into the bedroom.
Sometimes we have to move a desk as well but not often.

There isn't a sleeper chair, at least not according to the floorplan I've seen. There's a regular queen sized bed in the bedroom. The living room has a pull out sofa and then a pull down twin bed under the tv, I think.

There isn't a sleeper chair, at least not according to the floorplan I've seen. There's a regular queen sized bed in the bedroom. The living room has a pull out sofa and then a pull down twin bed under the tv, I think.
The only resort I know at WDW with a sleeper chair is OKW. You are correct that VGC doesn’t have one either. The poster you replied too was probably familiar with OKW.

You are right. Under the TV is the 5th sleeper according to the DVC site.
"1 king-size bed, 1 queen-size sleeper sofa, 1 single pull-down bed (29" x 67")"

@crvetter I was going to mention BLT but @CarolynFH beat me to it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter