Ellen

But I can tell you the people who worked with her walked on eggshells the whole time.
I've been hearing this for years--the people who work for her are scared for their jobs on a daily basis. I believe she has a lot of turnover among staff. I used to really enjoy her, I even liked "Ellen's Energy Adventure" but I'm put off by her hypocrisy.

How can she not know what was going on with her staff? I watched her show for the first 2 years, then she started doing all that dancing at the beginning, drove me nuts. I do see clips, like when she had the practical joke thing going with Matt Lauer. I don't like how she scares people when they are sitting on her set, I think it's mean, I'm surprised that stars still show up. I know she gives away a lot of stuff but I don't think she is paying for it herself.
It’s a business with a lot of staff, I’m sure CEO’s don’t know most of their staff, it’s not like it’s a small company. Reading about the woman upset that a new hire was making more than her so she asked for a raise is not professional. If you want to ask for a raise, describe what you’ve brought to the table to have earned it, not that “it’s not fair.” I can’t imagine Ellen keeps up with why folks are terminated, definitely well below her pay grade.

I don't watch her show regularly, but I have seen it from time to time. I always liked her, thought she was witty. I also like that she donates to charities and has local hometown heroes on her show, the everyday Joe's who do something nice, or victims of natural disasters who lost their home. I am not a huge fan of her scaring the guests or the silly game show type stunts she does with the audience members. I don't know if the stuff said is true or not, but I have heard rumblings of her behavior in the past. Brad Garrett recently spoke out against her.

It’s a business with a lot of staff, I’m sure CEO’s don’t know most of their staff, it’s not like it’s a small company. Reading about the woman upset that a new hire was making more than her so she asked for a raise is not professional. If you want to ask for a raise, describe what you’ve brought to the table to have earned it, not that “it’s not fair.” I can’t imagine Ellen keeps up with why folks are terminated, definitely well below her pay grade.
I don't watch the show much, but from what I've seen in clips she tries to convey that the staff is treated like family. I've been in some small, tight-knit offices where we all got along and did things together, although some of it was because of a former or current startup culture.

Of course it's probably something in between. It's still a business and businesses can't afford to be too sentimental when there's enough money involved. I'd be surprised if she didn't have a small part of her staff who were extremely close to her, but not necessarily where the majority of her employees are favored the same way.

I felt bad when she lost that Jeopardy game and was happy when Bill Nye helped her. However, after hearing how she treats people, I wish she would have been left with the dinosaurs. There is no excuse for treating people like that.
Again, you don’t know her. It always cracks me up when people seem to think they “know” celebrities because they read about them.

Again, you don’t know her. It always cracks me up when people seem to think they “know” celebrities because they read about them.

I saw how jealous she was of Judy Peterson. They were roommates in college and Judy studied and got her PhD. Can you blame her for wanting to show Ellen that hard work pays off?

Don’t get me started on how Ellen treated Einstein.

That's how celebrities make their money. To give their audience the feeling they know them. That's how they want it. By how they act on their shows, in interviews, on social media, their goal is to be liked and to be known. Many share so much about their private life, that yes, you can say you do know them. Especially now that everything is recorded. It's easy to get to know more about celebrities, their childhood stories, their likes, dislikes, fears, each job they ever held. More than you know about your coworkers.

And yes, that's an image how they want to be portrayed, but it is also what makes this situation around Ellen worse. Because she has portrayed herself as 'be kind', and how people thought they knew her, it doesn't match with reality.

Maybe she is an amazing wife and a good friend to those who are actually her friend, but if there so many people who work(ed) with her, hosted her on their shows, or were a guest on her show say 'she's a rotten egg', then most likely, there is some truth to it. Where there is smoke, there's fire.

I remember hearing about that now. I used to think her show game of games was pretty funny until someone said it was just like a king paying his court jesters to make fools of themselves for his entertainment. That made me look at it differently and made me realize maybe she isn’t as sweet as she comes off.
This. I've watched the pranks she pulls on others,and thought the same thing for years. I've NEVER seen anyone pull a joke on her. She seems to derive a lot of pleasure from scaring or pranking other people, but it's always seemed very tightly controlled,and she's the one laughing hysterically. I know it's tv,and edited, but it always struck me that way. She likes to have people do all sorts of "stupid human tricks" for cash and prizes..... I think it's a little odd. I know she's got some good qualities,like her love for abused animals.

I started wondering about her a few years back when I realized just how gleefully delighted she reacts to making others feel uncomfortable or foolish. It really seems to be the zone where she is completely delighted and entertained, every time, excessively so. Then I started to notice traits of exactitude and being very particular about certain aspects of various things and situations.

When I put those two personality traits together I realized it's extremely unlikely that she herself would react well, let alone find it at all humorous, to be unwittingly made to feel uncomfortable or foolish in a prank or skit of someone else's design. People who really enjoy that type of humor for humor's sake genuinely enjoy peers turning the table on them and look forward to see what their adversaries bring on them.
Exactly my impression.

This. I've watched the pranks she pulls on others,and thought the same thing for years. I've NEVER seen anyone pull a joke on her. She seems to derive a lot of pleasure from scaring or pranking other people, but it's always seemed very tightly controlled,and she's the one laughing hysterically. I know it's tv,and edited, but it always struck me that way. She likes to have people do all sorts of "stupid human tricks" for cash and prizes..... I think it's a little odd. I know she's got some good qualities,like her love for abused animals.
I LOVE when she scares people, but I also laugh when granny wipes out on the dance floor on AFV.

Come on. You know that if it's on the Internet, it must be true!
And yes, that's an image how they want to be portrayed, but it is also what makes this situation around Ellen worse. Because she has portrayed herself as 'be kind', and how people thought they knew her, it doesn't match with reality.
Does Degeneres own the show, or is she "just" the host/star and a producer? Does she get to make every single decision about the show, staff, guests, activities entirely independently, or are there executive producers/production company/distribution company that have varying degrees of input in decision-making?
She likes to have people do all sorts of "stupid human tricks" for cash and prizes..... I think it's a little odd
Audience members volunteer to participate. Don't want to be embarrassed on television? Don't raise your hand.

No, we don't know them. But we don't know each other either and still take for face value accounts that are given here on the DIS. There's no reason to completely discount all the anecdotal reports people have made about Ellen. And really, if you have an encounter with a person (any person) who is a total jerk to you, are you comforted by the thought that they're a great mom (or dad), do lots of volunteer work and treat their pets well? :rolleyes1

I read somewhere years ago Ellen responded regarding her public/private life that on TV, she's nice & all, but in private, she's just like us (especially after a few drinks around friends, she said she says the exact same things we do) - but on her show, she would never intentionally degrade or badmouth a guest....

There's this segment on the show where they take signs (public signs that are out for advertising purposes) and find something funny about them to ridicule. The thing is, they do it without consulting the business or person who is the object of the joke. In this case it was a lady realtor who's name is Titi. Not only did were the titty-jokes totally cringe-worthy, they showed the realtor's signs with her phone number on them. When the woman complained, rather than just making an apology, Ellen doubled-down and ran the segment several more times. Really, really reprehensible behavior and a completely uncalled-for victimization** of an innocent party.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...a-woman-titi-pierce-says-ellen-degeneres.html
**victimization is not exactly the right word, but I can't call to mind anything better. This took place in 2016. If it happened today, I'd imagine there would be a whole different view of Ellen ridiculing this black lady's African-origin name.
I’m late to the thread and I hadn’t heard about the realtor story before, but it reminded me of something I want to comment on.

When I was in the hospital in labor, my overnight nurse was a Nigerian woman. She asked me what I planned to name my son when he was born and when I answered, she told me it was a beautiful name. I kind of laughed and asked how often she found herself telling patients she liked the name while secretly thinking it was hideous. She replied that all names are beautiful simply by virtue of having been chosen by the parents to bestow upon their child. That parents choose a name that is special to them, to give to the most important person in their life, and that alone makes the name beautiful. She didn’t believe there were any bad or ugly names because they were all chosen in love. (It was right around this point that I was feeling like a huge jackhole.) We then discussed how names are traditionally chosen in Nigeria, the sentiment behind them, their cultural importance, the honor of being able to choose a name for your child, the honor of carrying a name throughout your life that was lovingly chosen just for you, etc. (Meanwhile, my kids’ names were chosen just because I liked them. :laughing:)

The Ellen story about the realtor, Titi, is awful. It’s made worse, in my mind, reading that the woman is Nigerian and knowing that to her a name is probably not just a name. She probably views her name as something deeply personal and meaningful that serves as a connection to and reflection on her mother who picked it for her. :sad1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter