Ellen

I liked Ellen for a long time, but these rumours have been swirling Too long and from too many sources to not be true. I’m kind of disappointed And sad. I no longer watch the show, it now feels fake in a bad way to me rather than the good humoured fake I thought it was. This makes sense to me.....

I think she has a public persona and private persona and we only got to see the public one for a long time. Now we are seeing the private one and it seems like it is not quite as nice and innocent as she would like people to believe.

It sounds like discrimination by upper staff is being fixed, and that’s what this latest thing was about.

I’m torn on whether I like the show in general, though. She does some segments that are so cute or so kind, and then some that make me uncomfortable (in a “just not my kind of humor” way). I haven’t been watching talk shows much lately, but before the shutdown, I had switched to Kelly Clarkson most of the time instead.

That said, I don’t expect everyone to be exactly like me, and being a celebrity is a huge amount of pressure. Overall, I think she’s done more positive stuff than negative.

Nothing surprises me - could be true, maybe not - I will never know. Don't believe everything I read until I see something for myself.

Not defending her but there are quiet a few celebrities out there that want only certain water in their hotel rooms, dressing rooms, don't look at them in the eyes, don't talk to them, want to be carried, etc.

The fame, money, status gets to their heads - also athletes, etc. etc.

If it's true, I hope people are held accountable. I doubt the show would be cancelled because of this. I watch on and off.

Celebrities don't get a say in whose talk shows they're booked on? Ellen's been on Jimmy Kimmel Live! ten times over the years, and Kimmel's been on Ellen 20 times since 2004.

This was a low level reality TV contestant who was scheduled by the promotors for whatever show he was on, to make the rounds of talk/tabloid shows to fix his reputation and mostly to advertise for the show. I don't even remember who the guy was or exactly what he did, he was that low level. I doubt he had a say in where he was scheduled.

Jimmy did say he personally likes Ellen as a person. That they get along really well. But, he KNEW that she was going to publicly skewer and humiliate the guy and not let up on him, "for the fans."

Last edited:

I started wondering about her a few years back when I realized just how gleefully delighted she reacts to making others feel uncomfortable or foolish. It really seems to be the zone where she is completely delighted and entertained, every time, excessively so. Then I started to notice traits of exactitude and being very particular about certain aspects of various things and situations.

When I put those two personality traits together I realized it's extremely unlikely that she herself would react well, let alone find it at all humorous, to be unwittingly made to feel uncomfortable or foolish in a prank or skit of someone else's design. People who really enjoy that type of humor for humor's sake genuinely enjoy peers turning the table on them and look forward to see what their adversaries bring on them.

Remember most talk show host's roots: usually it's comedy.
remember that comedians are usually crass and thrive on making people laugh at uncomfortable situations.

I think Ellen "the Show" has gotten larger than life for Ellen herself. Yes, she has a private life, BUT she has spent decades in front of an audience, crafting its response. Numerous tabloids have blabbed about her love life - or lack of it, as her partner/s explained that she is a serious workaholic. Like, not showing up for meaningful social family occasions because she was working. Truly that shows how addictive it is to be a celebrity who feels in control of their narrative!!!

the double-edge of this celebrity sword is that oftentimes, someone else grabs the story and runs with it. that's probably why the elitist behaviour of "don't look at them, don't smile, etc." started. if they don't acknowledge your existence, they aren't interacting with you, which gives you (or the paparazzi watching) the opportunity to find anything to criticize about them. if everyone knows that Spielberg doesn't want to be told "Good morning sir!" then you never hear about how he was a rude jerk to the assistant sandwich wrangler.

Celebrities who are approachable, who don't snub child fans, who don't rant and rave about their needs in the dressing room, etc. are very far and few between. They are out there, but it's rude to harass them if they are doing normal everyday things - jogging, coffee, etc. Most know that if they encouraged the interaction, it would have no end and so they have to have managers arrange their lives. Like Angelina Jolie can't even eat in a restaurant - she has said that she has to have the whole venue reserved, because otherwise the staff at the restaurant cannot run the place while 34 paparazzi are trying to climb in the bathroom window to get access, and thousands of fans are gawking at the window. Daniel Craig has said he now despises being James Bond... he longs to go for a beer at a pub like a normal British man.

At some level I feel a moment of empathy for Ellen - no matter which way she goes, the drama will follow her. will she be able to gracefully step away from the limelight in retirement, and have a beautiful, quiet life at her home in LA? Or is she going to work work work work until she starts having burnout, loses her filter and unleashes upon the world and goes the way of Roseanne?

Thank YOU! I'm glad someone knew the situation I was talking about. YOU get a rose. :flower3: :teeth:
But from the article...
However, he admits “I don’t know Ellen at all; I’ve been on her show a few times because of ‘The Bachelor’. Ellen was kind of harsh, like Jimmy said she would be, but I remember that between takes on commercials, she said something like, ‘I know how this show works. Don’t worry about it. I’m just kind of doing my thing.’ I thought, ‘Even her, right?’ So she had to lash into me based on TV stuff, but when the camera stops rolling she says, ‘Don’t worry, it’s all for TV.'”

I'm not familiar with the segment, so I don't know whether Ellen was "harsh" or not. I found a small clip on Youtube, but it wasn't the entire interview.

I started wondering about her a few years back when I realized just how gleefully delighted she reacts to making others feel uncomfortable or foolish. It really seems to be the zone where she is completely delighted and entertained, every time, excessively so. Then I started to notice traits of exactitude and being very particular about certain aspects of various things and situations.

When I put those two personality traits together I realized it's extremely unlikely that she herself would react well, let alone find it at all humorous, to be unwittingly made to feel uncomfortable or foolish in a prank or skit of someone else's design. People who really enjoy that type of humor for humor's sake genuinely enjoy peers turning the table on them and look forward to see what their adversaries bring on them.
Again, she’s a comedian, this is what they do. Have you ever heard of a Roast? I’m sure she is not an over sensitive woman if she chose this career path.

Again, she’s a comedian, this is what they do. Have you ever heard of a Roast? I’m sure she is not an over sensitive woman if she chose this career path.

You may be right, however that's simply your opinion based on what you see. Based on what I see I have a different opinion.

In my experience very controlling and exacting personalities would not enjoy being the object of the ambush surprises and pranks she seems to find so funny. It's quite all right and maybe entirely correct if you see it differently.

She’s a comedian, comedians poke fun at people. I’ve been a fan since she used to do cable stand up. I’m guessing there aren’t a lot of Howard stern fans in the Dis😂

I think the difference is that Howard is who he is, and he owns it. When Ellen ends her show by saying, "Be kind to one another" and then we hear these examples of her being less than kind, it comes across as fake. Howard makes no excuses for who he is and how he acts. I find his show hilarious at times. Other times, it gets to be a lot so I just switch the station.

I think the difference is that Howard is who he is, and he owns it. When Ellen ends her show by saying, "Be kind to one another" and then we hear these examples of her being less than kind, it comes across as fake.
I'm curious how Ellen behaves in real life, i.e. after the end of a taping. She doesn't strike me as the hypocrite some are implying. Is she not mind to other in real life?

My comment is not really related to Ellen, so forgive the tangent, but unfortunately there are many celebrities who started out "nice" and humble....but are immediately taken advantage of...so they can't stay that way for long. Kenny Chesney is a great example - tried to be a nice guy, hang out at places and was always friendly to fans, signed autographs, posed for pics, etc...until it snowballed and fans got ugly...wouldn't leave him alone ever - started stalking him or posting social media sightings and encouraging everyone to come out and mob him. Same with Jimmy Buffet and a bunch of others I could name.

Many times, the celebrities don't change on their own - "fans" a.k.a. morons and selfish, self-absorbed people who don't have lives of their own - force them to.

My comment is not really related to Ellen, so forgive the tangent, but unfortunately there are many celebrities who started out "nice" and humble....but are immediately taken advantage of...so they can't stay that way for long. Kenny Chesney is a great example - tried to be a nice guy, hang out at places and was always friendly to fans, signed autographs, posed for pics, etc...until it snowballed and fans got ugly...wouldn't leave him alone ever - started stalking him or posting social media sightings and encouraging everyone to come out and mob him. Same with Jimmy Buffet and a bunch of others I could name.

Many times, the celebrities don't change on their own - "fans" a.k.a. morons and selfish, self-absorbed people who don't have lives of their own - force them to.

I agree with a lot of this. I have some experience with pro-athletes and it’s kind of incredible how often they are stopped and how it’s not a simple “good morning” or “good game”, but a cringe worthy story from a complete stanger about a dream they had of you or how they remember something you did 5 years, or a detailed question about your kids-again from a stranger.

I tried to imagine walking into work, maybe on a day when I have an important presentation, trying to mentally prepare, maybe I’m a little distracted because I’m running through my presentation in my head, and every 5 steps someone wants to talk and I don’t know who they are, but if I’m anything except exciting and happy I’ll be labeled a jerk. So while the “never ever talk to the head of the company” is a little ridiculous and needed to be better formulated and communicated, I don’t think the policy by itself is bad if you’re telling junior people that its unprofessional to start random personal conversations with her (in the same way I’d never walk to up to our CEO and say “hey John, I love that shirt and saw that you ate at Morton’s last night, what’s your favorite dish”?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter