Family members are concerned that FW cabins won't feel as magical!

IvyandLace

Certified pixie dust user
I'm still trying to convince my family members to stay at FW cabins when we go for our family vacation this October...HOWEVER, they are very concerned that FW won't have that fun Disney theme that we loved about the All Stars on our last trip. We will be bringing about 10 people, and I really think having a full kitchen and bunk beds for the "singles" (three kids and my younger sis) will be such an added bonus. Like them, however, I'm a little skeptical about the transportation issue as the All Star buses were wonderful even after fireworks!! We are even a "camping" family, but for some reason, my family doesn't consider FW very "Disney"ish. Please help reassure us!!

Thanks...IVY:p

1. FW is like no other campground you have been too. They have pretty much all the amenities of the other Disney resorts but so much more.
Free Campfire/Sing Along with Chip & Dale and Disney Movie, Hoop De Doo, Horseback Riding, Biking, Canoeing, Swimming, Boating, Petting Farm, Electrical Water Pageant

2. Transportation: As a CM I can tell you most guest are not used to public transportation and are so eager to get going they feel like they are wasting their time waiting for a bus or boat. I have lost count of how many times I have stayed at FW but the transportation is not that bad. But if you are concerned think about calling the Bike Barn and reserving a few golf carts. Everyone in the the party will love them and your can take them down to the PH/Marina area which is kind of the FW transportation hub. There is nothing like leaving MK on a relaxing boat ride back to FW in the evening, especially if you are watching the fireworks on it. You can even go down to the FW beach and watch the fireworks there everynight.

3. Wilderness Cabins: The cabins are only a few years old and have these great decks where you can sit out and enjoy the quiet surroundings and people watch. Not to mention BBQ and picnic. The kitchens are great and love have housekeeping clean the kitchen for me. Now that is a vacation.

4. Environment: Think getting away from the hustle and bustle of WDW because peace, quiet and relaxation are the words used to describe FW. The one thing I have always disliked about the AS resorts is how noisy they always are, including the cheerleading groups that always seem to be there. You wont find this at FW and I have a feeling once they stay there they wont stay anywhere else.

5. Cons: The pools are not as fancy as the ones at the AS but are your basic pools.

6. Call WDW and get the free video or CD/Rom because they give great overviews of the resorts and your family can get a better idea of what to expect. The unknown is always hard to deal with. Read the resort review at www.disneyzone.net and look at the maps. WCs are located in loops 2100-2800 towards the front of the campground.

The popular refillable mugs are also available at FW down at the Trails End. If you can think of any other questions let us know the people on here are very knowledgeable and love to help.

My in -laws stayed there last summer while we stayed at the BW. Let me tell you when you drive in roll down your windows the first 100 yards and smell that pine smell!!!!!!!!!! FW is great, if you thought allstars was good, you will love FW. You said your a camping family, prepare for the best campgound expierience of your life. Clean, huge, lots to do, to much to do in Fw to list. But if that gets boring...ride bikes to WL and see that, take a boat to the Polynesian for a Luau, boat and monorail to contemporary resort and watch the fireworks from the bar on top........The whole Fw area beats the remote Allstars hands down.

Hi!We stayed at FW cabins this past Sept. it was unbelievable.It has it's own Disney Magic.
It is quiet,guests are cordial.You take a step back in time.We stayed at PO in Feb my experience there was no magic at all.Our kids 6 & 8 were very disappointed there.All they keep saying is they can't wait to go back to FW.You have the sing a long,movies,HDR,trading posts,wagon rides.You will not be disappointed!!!!If your idea of Magic include hectic and loud resorts FW is not for you.
Heidi
FW hopefully Sept 2002

WOW...truth be told, I hate camping, but you all make me want to stay at FW anyway!! Sounds wonderful!!! I don't actually hate it, I just hate cooking while on vacation! LOL...I think my kids would love to stay here someday! :)

Another vote for the cabins, here. I just reserved 3 of them for our trip in February. Our group (3 families--us(6), SIL(4), and MIL(2)) opted for the Ft. Wilderness over the Polynesian concierge!

We (just my family) stayed there a couple years ago, and wanted to try a different resort, but something just kept steering us back to FW!

We consider the kitchens to be a huge plus. Even if you don't plan on having a formal "meal" there, it is so handy to have that fridge for your bottled water, snacks, milk for cereal, cream cheese for bagels, lunch meat, etc. (Beer & wine?? :))

We also enjoyed having the extra bedroom. We were able to put the kids to bed, shut the door, and enjoy some quiet time to ourselves without worrying about waking the kids up.

Most kids are just happy to have a pool to swim in and don't really need all of the bells & whistles. They will certainly enjoy the petting farm & other activities around FW. I want to go fishing this year, and catch the evening campfire and movie!

My SIL has two boys aged 13 and 7 and I know they will like having a little more room to spread out and run around the cabin loop. It is definitely more relaxed than other resorts, and I think that is a huge plus, after all of the hustle and bustle of the parks.

If you can afford it, I would recommend renting a golf cart, and reserving it as soon as possible. We had no idea they were available when we showed up last time, and silly us called the Bike Barn to see if there was one to rent. Ha ha! Apparently they sell out quick! I just reserved 3 of them today for our trip. ($45.58 a day incl. tax held with a credit card #)

Good luck on your decision, and print out this thread and let your family read it--hopefully that will convince them!

Wendy

You hold on...you are RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!!!!

We stayed in a cabin the week before Thanksgiving and it was THE BEST!!!
We didn't want to be couped up 5 floors high in a hotel room when the DD's went to bed. After they went
to sleep (and it was earlier than usual - they were beat!!!) we sat outside on the deck had cocktails and made
dinner on the grill.
It was sooooo relaxing.....it was like an entirely separate vacation from your vacation.
We also saved a ton of money by cooking all of our own meals..one day we ate at MK..had hot dogs, fries and
a couple of pops and it cost us $60.00 for lunch.
I preplanned all of our meals, shipped all of the drygoods (cereal, coffee, spices, pasta etc) Fedex, carried on
the plane in a cooler on wheels all of our frozen meat (steaks, chops, chicken etc) then all we had to buy
at a local grocery was produce and beer!!! We ate great..and it was no big deal throwing something on the grill.
Golf carts are an absolute must.....besides saving time..coming and going at your leisure - they're fun!
We actually drove to all parks except the MK.
The Mousekeepers did a fantastic job of keeping the magic...they made characters out of the towels and the
DD's would always run to the cabin to find out what the Mousekeepers had done to their stuffed animals.
Go!! You're gonna love it!

Hi IvyandLace,
We will be looking for your trip report to see how it went. Have Fun!

Yup...they do...they'll either load the dishwasher or do the dishes.....however, we had 4 adults and 2 kids in the cabin
and there were just enough dishes for one meal so we frequently had to do them ouselves so that we'd have
plates and utensils for the next meal.
Crowsie

Listen to your relatives opinions....I had heard how great the cabins were so I reserved them for a trip a few years ago....We are a family of six and it seems like a great fit...We'll after 2 days DH and I both were disinchanted with the entire place.....It was not the Disney Magic we were after....It was secluded, and the pools were plain....We called CRO and the changed us to the BWV...need I say more....That was the Disney Magic we wanted...

If we had to stay there the entire visit I think we would have been very unhappy by the end...

Actually the last couple of times I have stayed in a cabin there has only been 1 tv. I know they used to have 2 but it seems that after they re-did 2700 and 2800 into cabins there is only 1 in the cabin. You can even see marks on the counter in the bedroom where they have removed the tv's.

My theory is when they finally put cabins in 2700 and 2800 they wanted to save $ so they took the 2nd tvs out of the existing cabins and put them in the new cabins. Obviously there were more tv's than needed taken out but they wanted to make the cabin's all the same so only 1 tv in each. I am sure someone has an "official" reason but that is my theory :)

That's a shame. The extra tv was a real plus! Heck, we have 3 in the rv--one for the two-year-old, one for the teenager, and one for everyone else.

42 days to go

I think the FW Cabins are much more "Disney" than a usual campground's RV or mobile home rentals. But they are not as "Disney" as a themed Disney resort hotel. What do your relatives mean by "magical?"

If they are seeking dramatic or finely detailed theme elements... if they want a big, bustling lobby with nearby game room and food service... if they want a themed pool area and poolside bar/grill... if they want to walk to a central, themed transportation location at the resort... if they want room service or onsite kid's clubs... then they will indeed be disappointed at FW. JMHO.

If they are seeking Disney resort staff... if they want transportation to the parks about every 20 minutes without a car... if they want lots of kid-friendly activities and room to play... if they want to stay inside Disney property and get the added space, privacy and convenience of a separate BR and full kitchen... if they want to stay in a peaceful, lovely, very green outdoors-oriented resort, with lots of tropical birds, bunnies, and tiny lizards... then they will thoroughly enjoy the FW Cabins.

Magic is an illusion... it's in the eyes of the beholder. If they enjoy the immersion of theme, theme, theme, then they'll like a more blatantly themed resort hotel better. If they enjoy the immersion of greenery and relaxation, then they'll prefer FW Cabins. Hope that helps.

Lisa: That is one of the best descriptions I've ever seen! Thank you! :D

Throw me in a vote for the FW cabins! We have stayed in them many times, some as cabins, some as wilderness homes. Golf cart, yea a MUST. Its better than the parks, nothing more relaxing than an early evening cruise around the campground on your golfcart. We go at Xmas and decorate the cabin & cart with lights, garland, bows ect. WE even take a small xmas tree with us. We dont cook meals but the kitchen is great for snacks and a godsend for breakfasts with everyone trying to get ready in the morning.

Thanks so much for all your opinions...you have ME convinced!! However, my mom (who's paying for the family rooms) is still skeptical so it looks like we will have four rooms at the All Stars. At least we know these resorts and won't have to "relearn" another one for our trip. Maybe someday we'll make it to the Cabins....;) Thanks again for all your advice!!

IVY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter