FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
SPOILERS

Just finished watching. (I had to be somewhere this morning, so DVR'd and avoided the radio.) It's too bad we didn't pull it off, but they were the higher ranked team, and at least it wasn't a shut out.

We had a fun run while it lasted, and I definitely think it got more people to pay attention to the sport. I hope that momentum continues. ⚽😎 ⚽
Do you plan to watch more soccer in the future? (Not judging, just curious if the WC had an impact).

I just said I don't understand that. You are not actually part of the team and have done nothing but watch.
A fanbase is part of a team as a supporter. You follow the team (either in person or on tv) through the highs and lows. Soccer is community connected more than any other sport. The USMNT represents the USA and those who love to root for national teams in any competition, feel it more sometimes due to some national pride.

A fanbase is part of a team as a supporter. You follow the team (either in person or on tv) through the highs and lows. Soccer is community connected more than any other sport. The USMNT represents the USA and those who love to root for national teams in any competition, feel it more sometimes due to some national pride.

You are not part of the team, you are a follower, a supporter

I think there are a lot American college football teams that would disagree with your comment about the soccer community be more connected than any other sport.

You are not part of the team, you are a follower, a supporter

I think there are a lot American college football teams that would disagree with your comment about the soccer community be more connected than any other sport.
I meant that soccer globally in general is more community based. So players lie when they talk about the 12th man? I don’t cry when the USA or NYCFC lose. I can get really sad depending on how significant the match was though.

I meant that soccer globally in general is more community based. So players lie when they talk about the 12th man? I don’t cry when the USA or NYCFC lose. I can get really sad depending on how significant the match was though.

No they don't lie but that doesn't mean they are part of the team. You have nothing invested in the success of the team other than the price of a ticket. Do all the cheering you want but you have nothing to do with a team winning or losing and getting emotional about a win or loss to the point of crying, anger or depression is a bit over the top.

And I never said this was you.

I think we will. DH got a lot more interested this time (and he's the one likely to put a sports channel on in the first place.)
My 2023 MLS season thread will be up and running probably in January when pre-season begins. If you want to see most of the European based U.S. players, they play in the English Premier League, German Bundesliga, French Ligue 1, Italian Serie A, and the Spanish La Liga. The EPL is shown on NBC/USA/Peacock. The Bundesliga and La Liga is on ESPN/ABC/ESPN+. Ligue 1 is on beIN Sports. Serie A is on CBS/Paramount+. The UEFA Champions League/Europa League is on CBS Sports/Paramount +(this league is where our players show their best talent). MLS is going to be on an Apple + streaming service next year details:
https://www.mlssoccer.com/apple/

Some matches should still be on tv but details on the tv deal are yet to be announced (rumored to be on ESPN/FS1).

I hope I didn’t go overboard. I just wanted to give you an idea where you can find the best soccer on tv or online easier. I think you said you are in MA, so the NE Revolution (who are a very good team) would be your local MLS team. The USL (second division/minor league soccer) has been expanded throughout New England with more teams on the way as well (which may be a cheaper or closer option for going to a match in person).

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/

Following the sport domestically or internationally is easy but sometimes can be confusing for the non soccer casual fan to tune in if they don’t have knowledge on a particular league. Picking a team to follow can be easy (ways to choose include local teams, international clubs based on family ties to an area, or even just based on the superstars on a team). If you need any tips or questions just let me know. I hope your family gives some of the professional leagues an honest chance. I think you guys may further appreciate the sport. Welcome to the global soccer family and happy watching.:-)

No they don't lie but that doesn't mean they are part of the team. You have nothing invested in the success of the team other than the price of a ticket. Do all the cheering you want but you have nothing to do with a team winning or losing and getting emotional about a win or loss to the point of crying, anger or depression is a bit over the top.

And I never said this was you.
You have never been emotionally invested in a team before? When a team wins a championship, fans have teams a joy. Are tears of sadness not normal then too? Thanks for the clarification on who the comment was directed at.

Last edited:
You have never been emotionally invested in a team before? When a team wins a championship, fans have teams a joy. Are tears of sadness not normal then too? Thanks for the clarification on who the comment was directed at.

Sure I have teams I support, some for all my life. Win or lose I don't dwell on it for more than a few minutes and I certainly have never cried, win or lose. As a fan that just seems strange to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter