FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
I’m satisfied. I was glad the US made it out of the group stage but I never realistically expected them to beat The Netherlands.

Maybe in 2026 they’ll advance further, but I still don’t see them making it to final, let alone winning it all on home soil.
I agree about that. I was hoping a lot. We are just not as good as the upper tier squads. I hope we can get better for 2026!

Monday’s WC Schedule on Fox and Telemundo:
10am ET
Japan vs Croatia

2pm ET
Brazil vs South Korea

Tuesday’s WC Schedule:

10am ET
Morocco vs Spain on Fox/Telemundo

2pm ET
Portugal vs Switzerland on Fox/Telemundo

I really hate using PKs as the deciding factor. I wish they would continue to play until someone scores - the golden goal. Hats off to the Croatian goalie though - as a former college goalie I know that you are realistically only expected to make 1 save and he saved 3. He really did his scouting because he seemed to know exactly where the Japanese players were going to go with their shots.

I really hate using PKs as the deciding factor. I wish they would continue to play until someone scores - the golden goal. Hats off to the Croatian goalie though - as a former college goalie I know that you are realistically only expected to make 1 save and he saved 3. He really did his scouting because he seemed to know exactly where the Japanese players were going to go with their shots.
Doctors told FIFA, the golden goal method could be dangerous to the players’ health.

I agree about the penalty kicks for deciding playoff games. No likey.

I can tolerate the practice during the knockout stages but NEVER for the championship. Skip the 2 15 minute OT periods and go straight to sudden death.

The recent MLS championship was decided on PKs, and I think the 1994 and 2006 WCs were too. Phooey!! Just play until a team wins legitimately, not by a carnival sideshow.

The same applies to Olympic hockey.

Doctors told FIFA, the golden goal method could be dangerous to the players’ health.
Yea, even with 5 subs, having to play more than 120 minutes (actually with stoppage, they're probably pushing 130), I'm not sure how much longer they could go on. As the parent of a GK, I *HATE* PKs. I'm just not sure extending the play is better, but "golden goal" during the OT would help. Still mega stressful as a fan.

Another PK winner - good for Morocco and the goal keeper did an incredible job, but again I feel bad for Spain to end it with PKs.

Another PK winner - good for Morocco and the goal keeper did an incredible job, but again I feel bad for Spain to end it with PKs.
On the other hand, if they couldn't put the ball in the back of the net after 120+ minutes...

PKs is a sucky way to go out, but how much longer can you (realistically) go? Would it be "better" to determine a winner after a player collapses from exhaustion?

On the other hand, if they couldn't put the ball in the back of the net after 120+ minutes...

PKs is a sucky way to go out, but how much longer can you (realistically) go? Would it be "better" to determine a winner after a player collapses from exhaustion?
Yes, for the championship match.

Quarterfinals WC Schedule:
All are on Fox and Telemundo

December 9th:

10am ET
Brazil vs Croatia

2pm ET
The Netherlands vs Argentina

December 10th

10am ET
Morocco vs Portugal

2pm ET
England vs France

I hate PKs too but at some point you need to end the game and I hate the golden goal even more than I hate PKs. It promotes being defensive.

Watching the body language of the Spanish penalty takers it was obvious they were mentally beaten before a single kick. Their body language was terrible.

I hate PKs too but at some point you need to end the game and I hate the golden goal even more than I hate PKs. It promotes being defensive.

Watching the body language of the Spanish penalty takers it was obvious they were mentally beaten before a single kick. Their body language was terrible.

Spain also had 3 terrible takes - all of them WERE saveable by a guessing keeper since they were all low kicks. You have to have someone who can kick one in the goal that can't be stopped just to start with some momentum...

Spain also had 3 terrible takes - all of them WERE saveable by a guessing keeper since they were all low kicks. You have to have someone who can kick one in the goal that can't be stopped just to start with some momentum...
The one that hit the post I didn't think was terrible. Not a great take, but not terrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter