FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
I’m satisfied. I was glad the US made it out of the group stage but I never realistically expected them to beat The Netherlands.

Maybe in 2026 they’ll advance further, but I still don’t see them making it to final, let alone winning it all on home soil.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/usmnt-players-support-berhalters-return-as-coach

Okay legitimate question, should the USA finally request a confederation change (either Conmebol - South America or UEFA- Europe)? I know there are logistical and practical reasons for this to happen but something has to change post the 2023 Gold Cup and 2023 Nations League final (that the USA or Mexico will most likely win again). Fans are clamoring for change and the US Soccer Federation should consider options beyond the status quo. For reference Australia moved from Oceania’s confederation to the Asian confederation and Israel moved from the Asian confederation to UEFA (Europe) (yes I know because of Middle Eastern politics, but it proves countries can move confederations). At the current moment, Greenland is being given the choice whether to join UEFA or Concacaf (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean). In theory, we could apply to join UEFA (our colonial past/culture influenced by Europe) but I know that argument is 50/50. Joining Conmebol would also be difficult because of distance. The Caribbean nations would oppose because they want American and Canadian money from Concacaf tournaments. So essentially we are being handicapped by the poor Caribbean and Central American nations in terms of decision making and the fact that we keep being told the USA has a responsibility to help raise the standard of soccer within the region (which I disagree with, as no top soccer nation believes that). So where do we go from here American soccer fans?

To some. And within that group, the level varies.
You feel no patriotic pride when Canadian national teams play? I guess that’s a major difference between both our countries. To be clear, I’m talking about patriotic feelings not nationalism.

You feel no patriotic pride when Canadian national teams play? I guess that’s a major difference between both our countries. To be clear, I’m talking about patriotic feelings not nationalism.
Or a difference between you and me. I know that you think that you can speak for all Americans but I know that I cannot speak for all Canadians.

Also, the question was about crying specifically. That is not the same thing as feeling some patriotic pride.

Or a difference between you and me. I know that you think that you can speak for all Americans but I know that I cannot speak for all Canadians.

Also, the question was about crying specifically. That is not the same thing as feeling some patriotic pride.
I’m not speaking everyone in the USA, but in general, culture wise from what I have seen, Canadians are more reserved and Americans are more outgoing and loud at sports events (Olympics/WC). I’m saying the crying is connected to how many view national team events with a patriotic feeling.

Overall I'm happy with how the US did. They were in a tough group and still advanced and I wasn't expecting them to beat the Netherlands. I thought the US has improved significantly over the last couple of years and with a young team (and more importantly most of them play overseas) and I expect them to keep improving.

I'm not really sure who the favorite is the rest of the way but I think Brazil has the best shot of making the semis now. The other three quarterfinals (assuming Spain and Portugal advance) should be outstanding and I have no idea who has the best chance of winning.

That's been said about a few teams that are no longer playing in this world cup.
True but France have the momentum and players on paper to overcome England with ease. Which is a shame given how close England came to winning it in 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter