FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
SPOILERS:

Well, we dominated the half...and are down 2-0.
We had 2 great shots...and didn't score.
The Dutch had 2 great shots...and scored on both.
And that's the difference between US and European soccer.
Ah well, I'll watch the 2nd half, but this game is over (and if it ends up not being over, the Dutch coach will get fired). As I told my kid, 2-0 in knockout soccer at the half is like a 35-0 real football score. Not saying it's impossible to still win the game, but it's kinda impossible, especially against a superior team.

Ah well, I'll watch the 2nd half, but this game is over (and if it ends up not being over, the Dutch coach will get fired). As I told my kid, 2-0 in knockout soccer at the half is like a 35-0 real football score. Not saying it's impossible to still win the game, but it's kinda impossible, especially against a superior team.
Fire Louis?

SPOILERS:

I do credit the US for getting back into the game for ~10(?) minutes. We (US) just didn't get any breaks. We made some good plays, had a couple let downs and the Dutch capitalized. On the other side, the Dutch didn't have many mistakes, and we didn't capitalize on the chances we had. BUT, we were ranked #16 and the Dutch #8 in the world, so the result shouldn't be that unexpected.

SPOILERS:

Can't fire a coach that's retiring after the tournament.

SPOILERS

Just finished watching. (I had to be somewhere this morning, so DVR'd and avoided the radio.) It's too bad we didn't pull it off, but they were the higher ranked team, and at least it wasn't a shut out.

We had a fun run while it lasted, and I definitely think it got more people to pay attention to the sport. I hope that momentum continues. ⚽😎 ⚽

SPOILERS

Just finished watching. (I had to be somewhere this morning, so DVR'd and avoided the radio.) It's too bad we didn't pull it off, but they were the higher ranked team, and at least it wasn't a shut out.

We had a fun run while it lasted, and I definitely think it got more people to pay attention to the sport. I hope that momentum continues. ⚽😎 ⚽
USMNT plays two friendlies next month. We’ll see how many tune in or how promoted the matches are. I wish sports stations would pay attention next month but I know it’s a long shot. I wonder how many on this thread will still tune in but I assume not many. I’m proud of the team and I know 2026 will be even better here in North America. I’m really sad today but I hope my enthusiasm in the thread brought people some joy. Good luck to the rest of the teams in the tournament. We still have the 2023 Gold Cup and Nations League to look forward to next summer in the USA and the FIFA Woman’s World Cup in Australia/New Zealand. More soccer and threads on the way in 2023.

You seem to take joy in the US being eliminated. Why is that? Soccer fans too much for you? :crazy:

I'll admit I'm disappointed, but I'm not crying in my drink. As I posted earlier, we weren't expected to win this match, so it's not like this was an upset.

You're so cute when you lash out.

As for being too much, yeah, too much sensitivity that is. Especially when their team loses. Just a game. Take a hit of copium and move on to the next one.

You're so cute when you lash out.

As for being too much, yeah, too much sensitivity that is. Especially when their team loses. Just a game. Take a hit of copium and move on to the next one.
Sports are emotional. It’s okay to cry. We are all human beings after all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter