Flag Retreat Question

Season810

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! We are going on our first ever Walt Disney World family vacation in just a little over a month. I have been doing all the planning and asked my husband about some things that he would like to do. His first thing was the Flag Retreat. He is currently active duty Army (finally after 13 years stationed close enough to drive) and I read that they hand the folded flag to a guest Veteran. What a wonderful thing that I could give him and for our 2 daughters (5 and 8) to witness before we head overseas to our next duty station. Does anyone know how this process works or how I let Disney know? Thank you for all of your help!

The selection process is random,
so there's no method of submitting someone to participate in the event.

Click HERE for a more detailed explanation.

And, thank you to your entire family for your service to our country!

Last edited:
Thank you soo much for your response and kind words. We have military tickets and hopefully we will have some luck! Thanks again!

I just recently found out that they do this. We are NOT military, but what a way of honoring our vets even to go watch it. It will be tops on our list of things to do this visit.

Best Wishes in your vet being chosen to participate, and thank you for his service and your sacrifice.

While we are not often in this section of the park at the right time, we make an effort for the "patriotic" holidays and have seen it once on 9/11 too. They often have a longer ceremony for these days. For Memorial Day this year there was a band playing the different armed forces themes, a few years ago on 9/11 they had children participate with readings and a offered a moving tribute. Even if not chosen as the veteran of honor on the holidays, they often ask veterans to come forward from the crowd for a salute.

It's a moving and respectful ceremony, even on a normal park day. Just another one of the extra little things that makes a day at Disney so special.

Hi everyone! We are going on our first ever Walt Disney World family vacation in just a little over a month. I have been doing all the planning and asked my husband about some things that he would like to do. His first thing was the Flag Retreat. He is currently active duty Army (finally after 13 years stationed close enough to drive) and I read that they hand the folded flag to a guest Veteran. What a wonderful thing that I could give him and for our 2 daughters (5 and 8) to witness before we head overseas to our next duty station. Does anyone know how this process works or how I let Disney know? Thank you for all of your help!

I've never gotten to be a part of the ceremony at WDW, but did get to have my husband participate at the ceremony in DL 2 years ago. It was very moving and such a beautiful tribute to those who have served. I'm so thankful to Disney for remembering those who protect us daily and provide the freedom to even HAVE a Disney Park(s) experience. Many thanks to you, your service and your sacrifice.

"Best" time to watch FR is on Sunday thru Thursday, in my opinion. Main St. Philharmonic does not work on Friday or Saturday so FR is the "CD" audio / musical version. Just not as good for me as when PhilHar is there. It is a moving experience for the veteran of the day and their family as well as veterans that view it.

As a Vietnam combat veteran and a Main St. Operations CM, I am pleased and proud to be able to be a part of the ceremony whenever my work shift includes Flag Retreat. It genuinely means a LOT to me to participate.

Hi! My DH is an army veteran (Thank you to your husband for serving!!). I, too, thought this would be an amazing thing to get him "picked". I did speak to someone at Guest Services last year and they did tell me that its A) Totally Random and B), they have people wandering around by city hall and the flag when the park opens, keeping an eye out for someone that looks military or may be wearing some type of military t shirt, hat, that sort of thing. Good luck to him, even if you don't get picked, its a really nice thing to watch!

I'm convincing my husband to wear his company tee shirt for the two days that we are in Magic Kingdom. I am so glad that we are planning to be there a Monday and Tuesday so that live music will occur. He is currently a senior drill sergeant (can't wear his hat to the park) and doesn't like to receive attention for his service, but I thank Disney and all of the other veterans who participate and for those who stop to watch. It means so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter