Floridian peoples interested in camping at somewhere other than the Fort on a holiday

I might be reading there rates wrong, but I think the trail fees are for horses, does that include use of golf carts on the trails?
We wouldn't mind going somewhere different, it seems all we do is go to the fort or crystal river. I also don't have reservations for Memorial Day at the fort, will probably not be able to get them now.

I called SOS this morning and talked to a manager about waiving the cart fee. Yes, Lorna, there is a $60 cart fee on holiday weekends. I told the guy look, if we were to book this, there's going to be around 11 sites and a ton of people so how about a waiver of the cart fee since we'll bring so many people. He said he could do 10% off. Whoopy doo a whopping $6. Sometimes I wonder how people get these jobs. I then told him we could stay at the fort for what he's charging and he said he talked to Richard Myers who is the fort manager and was told Disney was in the process of charging a cart fee for outside carts. I just called the fort and asked to speak to him and they said there was no Richard Myers that Gene Gallager was the manager. I couldn't get through to him.

I wonder if this is true to some capacity. Most places that allow carts do charge a trail fee and I'm suprised the fort doesn't but I think since they charge so much for a site it evens out plus their own carts seem to be rented out so I guess they don't worry about it. One of the cool things about the fort is the fact that you can bring a cart and enjoy the parades for the 4th of July and Halloween. I doubt the 4th cart parade would be such a hit if there was a trail fee. Hopefully this guy is wrong.

I then told him we could stay at the fort for what he's charging and he said he talked to Richard Myers who is the fort manager and was told Disney was in the process of charging a cart fee for outside carts.

Donnie,

I sure hope this is not true. They are already stretching the limit on the price for the sites.

You've been the Music Campground before so is it still worth it or would you prefer the Fort based on the cost difference of about $125.00 for the long Memorial Day Weekend?

Do you have any Recent Pics of this place?

I would also like recent pics of the Jetty Park Campground before I change my Ressies.

I can't believe that the fort would charge trail fees (but then again I can't believe that a site is $91 a night, when we are bringing our own bed). I know that they fill up, but with this economy how much can they push it.
As I said we are up for anything. Just want to do some camping.

Donnie,

I sure hope this is not true. They are already stretching the limit on the price for the sites.

You've been the Music Campground before so is it still worth it or would you prefer the Fort based on the cost difference of about $125.00 for the long Memorial Day Weekend?

Do you have any Recent Pics of this place?

I would also like recent pics of the Jetty Park Campground before I change my Ressies.

The SOS is a really nice place and they have a lot to do but like you said, $125 and go to the fort might be the difference between this now. I'm going to talk to my group up here and see if they want to do FW instead. Hell, it might work cheaper as most of them are tenters anyway and they can put 2.5 families on each site. Most have 2 kids but some have 1. I have a call into group ressies to see what kind of deal they will do. She said they'd call later today.

I know a couple other people who go to SOS MDW that went to the fort recently and probably would switch as well.

I know Carol got a great rate for us Halloween so we'll see what happens. I'm thinking it's a holiday weekend and they probably won't do a huge discount but it won't hurt to ask.

I've been to Jetty Park. It's an open shell campground at Port Canaveral where cruise ships depart & return. You WILL see the Disney Cruise line ships. You are RIGHT THERE! There is no shade, it's right on the ocean, & there is a beautiful pier. There is no place to cart around - the campground is more like an open shell parking lot. However....it is on the ocean - you can see the Atlantic from your site. They have a small, but nice restaurant you can get burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc... It's close enough to KSC to take a day trip.

If we had enough awnings - we can create our own shade. Even with the trees at FtW and awnings, the July 4th & Labor Day gatherings were still beastly hot!! It's Florida - we get over the heat.

With enough fans going - the no-see-um's won't bother you. If you have enough beer & kungaloosh - nothing with bother you.:thumbsup2

Donnie, you are not stepping on my toes at all, however, I was trying to get a place that was in the middle so that Kahuna (who seems to be the furthest south) didn't get burdened with all the driving or vice versa on you Donnie. I just can't justify over $100 a night any place I take my camper any more. I did it for my mother in law for NYE and it about killed us. Times are too lean and if we want to use the camper, we have to use it where it doesn't cost that much. If that means I have to leave the golf cart home, then so be it. If y'all decide that staying at the Fort or up at SOS that is fine. We could go to SOS without the cart or just go to Jetty Park or Crystal River or somewhere. I just can't justify Disney's holiday prices. I hope y'all understand. If we had the means, I would sure go, but we just don't.

I checked this morning and the price without any discounts is $79 for f/h. Let's wait and see if the powers over at group gatherings can do us a better deal. I mean just because I'll be in loop 1900 and you'll be in loop 100, doesn't that make us a grand gathering lol. The rest of ya'll would have to be there to understand that stab at Disney. Last year we had a GG for 4th of July and only 3 of us got the right loop. The others were all over for some dumb reason.

somebody let Donnie know that the people who weren't in the "loop" wanted to be away from all the dropped food.

somebody let Donnie know that the people who weren't in the "loop" wanted to be away from all the dropped food.

No to mention the food cooked on the dishes washed by the green hose. Actually I wash them in the kitchen, but is it not ok to rinse the things outside? I mean come on people, the water in a camper is scalding and I use dish soap. Does the green hose really still come into play at this point. BTW, I bought a 10' hose and unhook the green hose now. Does that make me a better person?

No to mention the food cooked on the dishes washed by the green hose. Actually I wash them in the kitchen, but is it not ok to rinse the things outside? I mean come on people, the water in a camper is scalding and I use dish soap. Does the green hose really still come into play at this point. BTW, I bought a 10' hose and unhook the green hose now. Does that make me a better person?

of course it does Donnie:angel:

Most of my anger has been vented towards the BBB and FTC as of late, so you are safe Donnie.;)

I refuse to pay $60 to bring my cart. I will have to see what the fort is robbing for reservations. The only problem with the Jetty park, is that there's no pool. I'm a pool kinda guy.

I wanna go.....my life is empty. I know its sad, but I look up to you guys...ya'll have all the fun!!!1

There is no shade, it's right on the ocean, & there is a beautiful pier.

It's funny. I lived a bicycle ride from the ocean as a child and went all the time. I do not think I have been to the beach in probably 15 or more years. Just does not turn me on. Heck, I don't even think my kids have been since they were kids. I guess cause I was born here and have it in my back yard. I prefer the Wilderness and Mountains. There is also a Fishing Pier. Well, there was until the Hurricanes tore it down but I think part of it is left.

Don't get wrong. I am all for saving money and gettin' together with everyone again but Jetty Park, so far, is still questionable at this point.

In my experience most State Parks leave something to be desired when it comes to the Campground side of em' but I also know there are some that are very nice.

are there any private campgrounds in that area that are ok? The fort is going to be $80++ a night for mdw and 4Jul.

I still say Turkey Lake is good. It's got more shade than anyplace I've ever seen, but unfortunately the only thing they have is a big lake and frisbee golf. It's a great place to camp when going to Universal because it's so close but unless you're Frank, you're not going to do much.

are there any private campgrounds in that area that are ok? The fort is going to be $80++ a night for mdw and 4Jul.

That's why we're doing some days at Turkey before checking into the fort. We have US/IOA tix as well and may hit the parks there and then come to the fort around the 2nd and stay a week or so. There's got to be another place just as fun as the fort somewhere. If not we all need to pool our money and make one because there's a need for an affordable family campground with kids activities as the focus. When I 1st got a camper in 04 the avg. site cost at FW was around $45 and $15 at the state park/ city parks. I know power and other costs have gone up but this is unreal.

Just following the thread, and I"m wondering....How does Tropical Palms compare to the campgrounds you've discussed. Has anyone stayed there. I'm curious:confused3 ..I know it's afiliated with the same campground we were seasonal in here in NY,and we would see a lot of information about them. (Equity Life StyleEncore resorts). Is that a place you Floridians have stayed in before?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter