Floridian peoples interested in camping at somewhere other than the Fort on a holiday

Just following the thread, and I"m wondering....How does Tropical Palms compare to the campgrounds you've discussed. Has anyone stayed there. I'm curious:confused3 ..I know it's afiliated with the same campground we were seasonal in here in NY,and we would see a lot of information about them. (Equity Life StyleEncore resorts). Is that a place you Floridians have stayed in before?

Tropical Palms is more of a park designed for retirees & not families. It's very nice - just not kid oriented.

There is also the River Ranch Resort with many things to do but it is not cheap either. About the same as disney but they do have a Saloon, Saturday Night Rodeo, Skeet Shoot Range etc... and you can bring your Golf Cart.

http://www.riverranchrv.net/outside_home.asp

We went to River Ranch Resort some years ago. It's nice - but I think we hit a bad weekend. There was too much inappropriate rowdiness for my liking. I like our GG crowd much better than what we experienced at RRR. That being said, my BIL owns a lot there & he's one of those that loves the inappropriate rowdiness. If I ran into him there, I'd have to kill him. However - if a group wants to go there...I'm in.

I like Jetty Park, too - but I'm afraid the kids would get bored quickly at JP. The kids in our "group" are too active to try & expect them to sit around. I personally would not put them thru a weekend of that now that I think about it. The only thing for them to do would be play on the beach.

RRR has a small grocery store on property - but IIRC - they are as high priced as FtW. Again, IIRC - there aren't any shopping centers close to RRR - so everyone would have to make sure they were well stocked for the weekend. Unless something has changed - they also allow open fires. (Unless the state is under a fire watch.)

River Ranch is sounding better & better!:thumbsup2 It's a nice, central location.

We could just buy a huge huge camper with 2 or 3 bathrooms and all stay together lol. That would be one way to beat Disney at their own game.

I'm confused on the River Ranch. Is it like a few places in one? I know there's a hunting/4 wheeling place there and then I see a RR at Lake Wales.

the one they speak of is in Lake Wales. My neighbor goes and he loves it. The only thing is the cost, I thought it was like $80 a night as well.

I've been to Jetty Park. It's an open shell campground at Port Canaveral where cruise ships depart & return. You WILL see the Disney Cruise line ships. You are RIGHT THERE! There is no shade, it's right on the ocean, & there is a beautiful pier. There is no place to cart around - the campground is more like an open shell parking lot. However....it is on the ocean - you can see the Atlantic from your site. They have a small, but nice restaurant you can get burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc... It's close enough to KSC to take a day trip.

:thumbsup2 I have never stayed at Jetty park but a couple rented our trailer at there last year. I was nice to be on the Atlantic but it was hot as blazes..I almost roasted while taking down the trailer to move...

Jetty Park was a suggestion, and nothing more than that. It seemed affordable, however obviously not to everyone's liking. I guess y'all can count me out. I can only swing the few ressies I have this year at the Fort unless I do weekends here and there where there is spare change. Holidays are just out unless I go somewhere else.

I'm sorry Jen..I was not trying to be negative just offering what I observed while at Jetty. Im sure wherever you pick, you will have a good time! Im just jealous I have to work.

I'm sorry Jen..I was not trying to be negative just offering what I observed while at Jetty. Im sure wherever you pick, you will have a good time! Im just jealous I have to work.

It wasn't pointed at you in particular...just that I can't go to the Fort on holidays because of the cost and that is why I started the thread. It seemed that it swayed back to everyone wanting to go because of the carts so I am just getting out of it, that is all.

It wasn't pointed at you in particular...just that I can't go to the Fort on holidays because of the cost and that is why I started the thread. It seemed that it swayed back to everyone wanting to go because of the carts so I am just getting out of it, that is all.

We have a few months to kick around ideas. Jen I know you're just trying to do what's affordable and we all feel the same way. There's some great places I think that will work for everybody. Please don't be upset though. The carts aren't that big a deal to me. God only knows my fat butt needs to be on a bike lol. I just suggested SOS because it's very close to being fort like in size, plus it has the water. I too want the $35 range tops. If my camper was paid off I'd consider the fort with no question but like all of us we're going week to week. Let's just keep discussing it and see what we can do.

I don't need carts as much either, a little shade and a nice pool. and beer of course. but i'm not into much virtual gatherings, i'd rather party with rock stars.

I don't need carts as much either, a little shade and a nice pool. and beer of course. but i'm not into much virtual gatherings, i'd rather party with rock stars.

I'm going back to my millions and leaving you poor people here to make each other feel good about yourselves lol.

RR is in Lake Wales. It is a Florida Dude Ranch with lots and lots of activities. You can stay in one of their accommodations (very nice) or camp. There was also an area where you could purchase a lot and develop your own RV pad. My BIL has a lot with a pad, but no hook-up's. He dry camps for a weekend just to go 4-wheeling & mud trucking.

Here's a website with reviews of people that have stayed there. We were there about 20+ years ago.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Florida/River_Ranch.html

Jen- I'm not "pooh-poohing" Jetty Park, either. I just want to make sure everyone knows what to expect as far as their campground is concerned - and that there is nothing for children to do but play on the beach.

The city park itself has a playground, but you would have to drive your children over there & watch them. It IS a city park in every sense of the word, including the bums who hang out there. They are probably harmless - but I wouldn't want to put any kid in harm's way by letting them go there unsupervised. Same goes for the beach.

Pete, your so kind,,but with my schedule, I'm not sure if I can make it.

Jen- I'm not "pooh-poohing" Jetty Park, either. I just want to make sure everyone knows what to expect as far as their campground is concerned - and that there is nothing for children to do but play on the beach.

The city park itself has a playground, but you would have to drive your children over there & watch them. It IS a city park in every sense of the word, including the bums who hang out there. They are probably harmless - but I wouldn't want to put any kid in harm's way by letting them go there unsupervised. Same goes for the beach.

I know you are not poo-pooing the park. I have never been there. I am not taking my ball and going home unless everyone is going to the Fort MMDW. My ball won't bounce there, it shatters into little pieces!:lmao: :lmao:

Oh I would love to do a meet up somewhere else besides Disney!!! :)

One of the things hubby and I have said since we got our 5th wheel last year for Christmas is that we want to go other places other than FW. We also love the fort, but it's too expensive in this economy. The only other place we made it to last year was Bradenton (Holiday Cove-pet friendly) which was great for biking and fresh seafood, but since we went to Disney last year four times this is the only non-Disney camground we made it too.

Anyway, I hope you guys plan another one, cause I am afraid I can't make it to the Jetty Park cause I am 100% sure this is the camp area you see as your leaving Port Canaveral on a cruise ship. And, I just couldn't take being at the campground watching everyone else sail away out to sea...cause' I'd want to be sailing out to sea too.
http://www.portcanaveral.org/index2.phpThis website will show you where the park is on a map and if you click on Recreation Tour you can see pictures of the park. I love Port Canaveral! It's my favorite Fla. port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter