Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

So, what this means is that trust members would have 11 month access to bookings at FW, and everyone else would be able to book at 7 months. I do wonder if there is any language for Fixed Weeks (those that have read can let me know) as I would imagine that those would be very popular for Halloween and Christmas.

For existing properties, I'll use Poly as an example. If, it is part of the same association as indicated, but now all of the new units are declared as "trust" units, then both deeded owners AND some percentage of trust owners (limited by the trust's ownership in the association) would have 11 month advantage at both the new tower AND the longhouses. Everyone else would be at 7 months.

However, as @Sandisw has stated elsewhere, I think that the only places that DVD can really do this is in locations where they can enroll entire units (ownership interests are percentages of units) into the trust, so that no unit is partially trust owned and partially deeded. I don't think a "unit" could be both.

Yes, it says they will sell favorite weeks. And the more I read, the more I am leaning to that conclusion that entire units have to be sold that way.

If you read that they have said that they reserve the right to create other plans within the property, it sounds like it supports that…

But, to be honest, I have to wonder if the whole “as of right now” part of the plan for Poly tower may have been more than we think? Since they didn’t want to pay any hand regarding this whole trust thing?

I will not be surprised if some of those units at the Poly tower become a trust product and carry restrictions when sold.

Our home griddle is a 36" Makers Mark. Works great!
Yeah, those are our "camping" toys, but they're both too big and heavy to really be practical. They end up mostly at the beach or tailgating. We do a ton of overlanding, so our real camp gear is a lot smaller and compact. Our home stuff is all built-in.

So, wouldn't those be deeded?

Even those buying into this resort use plan…the words that are used…will be given some level of a deed…but it’s a RTU deed…

Those wanting a specific RTU week would simply be buying a specific time period to book…doesn’t change the nature of how it is sold.

Even those buying into this resort use plan…the words that are used…will be given some level of a deed…but it’s a RTU deed…

Those wanting a specific RTU week would simply be buying a specific time period to book…doesn’t change the nature of how it is sold.
Got it. I assume there will still be a pricing premium for those weeks.

On another note, I can't imagine DVD rolling the trust out with only CFW in the portfolio. I wonder if the speculation that the poly tower units, the unsold RIV, AUL, and a portion of VDH will be rolled in. My only wonder about Poly is that the current association POS is unrestricted, so not sure how they would separate that out without a different association if they wanted the trust points to be restricted. Or, maybe its as simple as trust points are restricted (which would make Deeded Poly points, IMHO, much more valuable).

Can you explain?

So it is just a right to use deed instead of an ownership of the resort? Meaning they are contractually guaranteed a week but don’t actually own anything?

Where as current favorite week folks technically own a portion of the resort and access their ownership in a given week?

Do I understand the trust favorite week approach?

For example, if trust includes points at CFW, RIV, VDH, Aulani, and Poly tower.
A person could buy a trust favorite week at RIV standard view studio for early December. Each year, they have this booked. However, they could opt out of the fixed week and have the number of points that could be used at any of the resorts the trust owns points at?

A person could opt out and use the points at VDH for the same week of December... must meet the point for the room and there must be availability to book the trust percent of points owned at VDH.

If I understand right, the trust sounds like a really good option for families who travel the same week(s) every year. Provides the added benefit of being able to try different resorts with the 11 month home booking advantage.

Can you explain?

So it is just a right to use deed instead of an ownership of the resort? Meaning they are contractually guaranteed a week but don’t actually own anything?

Where as current favorite week folks technically own a portion of the resort and access their ownership in a given week?

Correct…you are not buying an ownership interest in a resort, you are buying an ownership interest in a timeshare resort use plan…

But, even those buying what amounts to a favorite week are still now owning anything…they are owning a RTU that specific time period.

I have only read it through once…but basically, the trust actually owns, and remains owner and they sell people a RTU deed to the resort use plan at CFW…

Now, when they decide to expand it..which I think they will…but it doesn’t say that yet…just like when RIV was the first resort with restrictions, it only talked about that…but now things include others…they can create a different type of plan within the trust…

The big takeaway so far for me, if reading it correctly, is that we won’t see them add new plans for current resorts, outside of the new inventory that has not yet been added to RIV, AUL, VDH and Poly tower which have potential to become part of this.

I think the days of deeded ownership being what DVC is are over.

Do I understand the trust favorite week approach?

For example, if trust includes points at CFW, RIV, VDH, Aulani, and Poly tower.
A person could buy a trust favorite week at RIV standard view studio for early December. Each year, they have this booked. However, they could opt out of the fixed week and have the number of points that could be used at any of the resorts the trust owns points at?

A person could opt out and use the points at VDH for the same week of December... must meet the point for the room and there must be availability to book the trust percent of points owned at VDH.

If I understand right, the trust sounds like a really good option for families who travel the same week(s) every year. Provides the added benefit of being able to try different resorts with the 11 month home booking advantage.

We don’t know any of that yet, They have used the same wording for home resort advantage…one month guaranteed, but currently set at 4, like the rest,l,all others will trade via BVTC at 7 months.

They also have put in the resale restrictions and it says that buying this product on the resale means no exchanging into BVTC…which seems to allude that things could operate differently…

Until the create another resort trust plan, with other units at a different location, I think it is too hard to tell how they will mesh home resort booking, when they are giving the resort plan here the guaranteed one month advantage.

Last edited:
Correct…you are not buying an ownership interest in a resort, you are buying an ownership interest in a timeshare resort use plan…

But, even those buying what amounts to a favorite week are still now owning anything…they are owning a RTU that specific time period.

I have only read it through once…but basically, the trust actually owns, and remains owner and they sell people a RTU deed to the resort use plan at CFW…

Now, when they decide to expand it..which I think they will…but it doesn’t say that yet…just like when RIV was the first resort with restrictions, it only talked about that…but now things include others…they can create a different type of plan within the trust…

The big takeaway so far for me, if reading it correctly, is that we won’t see them add new plans for current resorts, outside of the new inventory that has not yet been added to RIV, AUL, VDH and Poly tower which have potential to become part of this.

I think the days of deeded ownership being what DVC is are over.
Did it say anything about buying deeded interests at all? Can you buy a deeded interest at CFW and use it as we would our current home resorts with only 1 home resort advantage or is there only one choice here and that is buying into the trust which includes CFW?

One thing notable was the language regarding rentals. While it does say no prior approval is required, it adds that DVD can, in its discretion add some level of it if they choose.

To me, sounds like they are tightening the language moving forward regarding those using rentals in a commercial way.

Did it say anything about buying deeded interests at all? Can you buy a deeded interest at CFW and use it as we would our current home resorts with only 1 home resort advantage or is there only one choice here and that is buying into the trust which includes CFW?

Nope. It says it is the Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort Use Plan. It sounds like right now, they will not be selling deeded ownership interests in the resort itself. . The initial cabin phases will be part of the trust and one would become on owner to use the trust property.

One thing notable was the language regarding rentals. While it does say no prior approval is required, it adds that DVD can, in its discretion add some level of it if they choose.

To me, sounds like they are tightening the language moving forward regarding those using rentals in a commercial way.

This reminds me. I need to go to pickup some more popcorn for our air popper. Need to be ready to read all the posts coming in the next couple months.

Nope. It says it is the Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort Use Plan. It sounds like right now, they will not be selling deeded ownership interests in the resort itself. . The initial cabin phases will be part of the trust and one would become on owner to use the trust property.
Wow that’s really surprising, I really thought they’d allow for both options, since many have said other timeshares have allowed for both. It would make the explanation process for guides a teensy bit easier and probably more streamlined, in general. Thanks for reading into all this!

They also have put in the resale restrictions and it says that buying this product on the resale means no exchanging into BVTC…which seems to allude that things could operate differently…
This makes sense to me. You get what the trust has but nothing else.

In a weird way it confirms how draconian the Riviera and VDH restrictions are, and that on some level Disney views them as an impediment to future sales.

We have to assume it will work both ways - that any resale points will be blocked out of accessing the trust points as well.

Goin
This makes sense to me. You get what the trust has but nothing else.

In a weird way it confirms how draconian the Riviera and VDH restrictions are, and that on some level Disney views them as an impediment to future sales.

We have to assume it will work both ways - that any resale points will be blocked out of accessing the trust points as well.

Yes, it says that resale will be restricted from this resort and any resorts, including future ones, from Jan 2019 and forward.

And, as I posted, with this new language, I think we could possibly even see a trust that has multiple locations, but each as it’s own plan.

For example, you can buy into the trust at one of the resorts that are part of it…that’s your home resort and you get your one month booking guarantee, but after that, you get access to all trust properties…unless you are resale, and then you don’t. …pure speculation on my part.

Much different than those that currently exist….but I think DVD definitely is moving into a different direction.

Last edited:
Well, this potential purchaser is now officially out.

Quite honestly, as an aside, we are considering getting an RV and that is more economical than the cabins anyway (and I can use it all year round). (ETA: Fully understand that any RV purchase may not be "economical" :) )

I understand that reasoning, @tidefan. My camper is my timeshare at Disney (I pay for a campsite at Fort Wilderness), my timeshare at the beach (I pay for a campsite at Gulf State Park), and my cabin in the woods (Cheaha State Park). Or wherever else we go.

The camper is part of our home, per se. So when we go on vacation, we stay at "home".

Bama Ed

PS - and we have a 22" Blackstone. A little bulky for regular camping but it was a winner in November 2022 when we had all our family (and then some) there for two weeks at Fort Wilderness (6 adults total). Even did a Thanksgiving dinner on it which turned out really well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter