Good/Bad Internet and eBay Pin Sellers

I know this is off topic, but does anyone go through their pins and look at them when you want a little Disney pick me up? (I just found ours and spent 20 minutes looking at them with the kids. It was fun!)

I know this is off topic, but does anyone go through their pins and look at them when you want a little Disney pick me up? (I just found ours and spent 20 minutes looking at them with the kids. It was fun!)

LOL yes.....add to that we have tons of pins we have framed and hung in the house, I have an almost full corkboard of Tink, DBF has a corkboard of Alice and his Countdown to the Millenium pins (he only needs like 5 now), we have a full corkboard of Hidden Mickeys, I have food related pins on a little corkboard in the kitchen......LOL And yes, I look at my pins in my pin bag regularly. I wanna go pin trade!!!!

I know what you mean. I am blessed to normally go to Disney 2-3 times a year. However, this year DH is laid off and going to school so I can only go once a year (for the pin events). So I was there last Sept. and not going again until next Sept (I know, poor me, but I am going through withdrawal). So after Christmas I went through my pins on pinpics to update my "wants" list. Can't wait until Sept.:banana: In fact I am going to book my room now. Penny:cheer2:

dizneymandoug - All appear to be legitimate, most came with the cardboard backings and a few from a mystery set were still in there black bags. Purchased 50, and just waiting for them to list another lot so I can buy more!![/QUOTE]

Second time ordering from dizneymandoug - great seller! All pins on cards again and a couple mystery pins in bags. Highly recommend him! Just glad he's had lots when I needed them!

So this whole fake pin thing is really throwing me off and leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I can't get my mind off of it.

A) I have been examining my pins for past 1-2 hrs checking with pinpics.com
B) I have been especially looking at the pins I got from a lot from Disneyfamily801 on eBay

C) I really can't see any pure signs that any of the pins I have are scrappers or fake.

There are a few (7 of about 100) that in my opinion could be scrappers according to pinpics and other signs of scrappers posted but honestly if Disney is making thousands of pins aren't some pins going to have rough edges, and discoloration. That is just the truth of mass production.

What I am really concerned about is the possibility that the pins I traded with cast members are fake, and then another guest trades for that pin and thinks they have a real pin and it is actually fake. I have been thinking this since the discovery of these scrappers and can't get it out of my mind.

I always knew there were fake pins but I had no idea they were good at doing it, I mean fake DVD etc are usually easy to detect, but I can't and don't want to determine if these are fake.

Help any advice? I could use a second opinion. Anything....

So this whole fake pin thing is really throwing me off and leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I can't get my mind off of it.

B) I have been especially looking at the pins I got from a lot from Disneyfamily801 on eBay

C) I really can't see any pure signs that any of the pins I have are scrappers or fake.

There are a few (7 of about 100) that in my opinion could be scrappers according to pinpics and other signs of scrappers posted but honestly if Disney is making thousands of pins aren't some pins going to have rough edges, and discoloration. That is just the truth of mass production.

What I am really concerned about is the possibility that the pins I traded with cast members are fake, and then another guest trades for that pin and thinks they have a real pin and it is actually fake. I have been thinking this since the discovery of these scrappers and can't get it out of my mind.

I always knew there were fake pins but I had no idea they were good at doing it, I mean fake DVD etc are usually easy to detect, but I can't and don't want to determine if these are fake.

Well it is up to you, I personally don't mind if I get a fake, I figure I will since I paid ~$90 for 125 pins, however, most were real. Having said that I know we got at least 1 fake pin from a CM, but again I do not mind. So it really is up to whether or not you care if it is real or not. People buy knock-off everything to save money, so this is the same.

It isn't like I am trying or going to sell my pins to anyone, I like them and like looking/trading.

Sorry if this was off topic just wanted to respond to you and see if that helps.

I bought from them and they are all fake except maybe 1 or 2. I compared them to ones we own and pinpics. Most of them weren't even good fakes.

If you get pins from ebay and once you get them find out that they are scrappers, is it wrong to contact the seller and ask for a refund? I feel like it would be false advertising/ product not as described. Just curious as to WWYD?

No it is not wrong to ask for a refund they are being fraudulent. Just cite that in the request for your refund. You have 30 days I think through the buyer protection.

tennpins, ok i will use them next thanks! I still feel used! I feel frankly crappy. I feel like I spread fake Disney which is going against everything I believe in!

I want revenge! I that too harsh?

I've just started pin collecting. I've been buying pins off ebay with no real intention of trading to cast members or other collectors. I'm just collecting ones that I like, Muppets, Star Wars, etc. to keep and display on lanyard or other place. Is it bad or should I be more concerned about buying scrappers? I'm getting some great price on pins ($.99 to $4) from the same few sellers which combine shipping. I guess what I'm wanting to know is if there is any harm in me keeping scrappers if I know I'm not going to trade them?

Ash, I have plenty of scrappers in my collection. Some of them I knowingly traded for, others not so much. If you are keeping them and not trading them buy what you want. I actually will buy pins I suspect of being scrappers to use them in decorations...for instance I have a cute Nemo cross stitch in the bathroom and I have the bagged fish pins around it, they are scrappers, I got them from eBay just for that purpose. I am OK with that. :)

I have gotten a few scrappers so far, but I'm okay with it for the most part. Really just for collection at this point so it doesn't truly matter.

My wife and I visited Disney World in summer 2010 and found ourselves quickly engulfed in the pin-trading frenzy (our focus was on Hidden Mickey pins held by the CMs). Despite how much money we spent, it really was quite fun. It's something we were looking forward to doing again during our next visit - until I learned of the numerous Ebay 'scrapper' sellers out there.

I (like sooooo many others I'm sure) saw these 'lots' of pins with prices that couldn't even compare to those we were spending on new pins at Disney. Why not purchase a lot (duplicates or not), pick out the ones you want for your own collection and trade the others? They're ALL legitimate Disney pins, right? WRONG!

So I can imagine two groups of people who move forward with what I was planning:

The first group acknowledges they're fakes and will buy them anyway for the purposes of trading (as I understand it, cast members either can't distinguish between a real vs fake - or are too busy to verify).

The second group is simply oblivious and will blindly circulate these fakes without even knowing it.

For those of us who are expecting to get a legitimate, limited production hidden mickey pin from a cast member...well, there is no guarantee anymore it seems.

Ah well - until Disney manages to do something about this, pin trading (for us anyway) was fun while it lasted....

I was just wondering if anyone has used these sellers before and if there on the Green list?

Mel2632
Corjohnvette

Thanks

I get pins for the shear joy of collecting them (love my ducks). If it quacks, I collect. I am sure I have some scrappers but don't get them to trade so that's generally ok with me. Just be careful no matter who you buy/trade with. I have gotten great pins from e-bay and trading on line and have also gotten cheated a few times often by people who guaranteed they didn't cheat. At that point you just decide if the person who cheated you of pins can also cheat you of your joy in collecting. I vote to not give them that power. :thumbsup2

I'm curious, do you differentiate between a pin that has obvious defects and problems with it and a pin that is simply an overproduction after Disney is done with the original print run?

Is there a difference between the two?

I'm curious, do you differentiate between a pin that has obvious defects and problems with it and a pin that is simply an overproduction after Disney is done with the original print run?

Is there a difference between the two?

Both of these pins are scrappers, why? Because one has defects and was not approved by Disney therefore should have been scrapped, the other because it was an overproduction, again not approved by Disney and should have been scrapped. When Disney is done with a mold it is to be destroyed or archived as they request. I hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter