Goodbye, Maxpass. Hello, Disney Genie.

And very curious about this “one at a time” thing. If it’s noon and I grab a 7:15pm G+ time for Matterhorn, are they really saying I can’t use G+ for the entire afternoon? That seems not well thought out.

I posted a screenshot from the demo video a few pages back and that's what the wording makes it seem like, which is a HUGE change from the MP of yore.

I just remembered that World of Color and Fantasmic are also Fastpass "experiences". Imagine if G+ made it so that you had to not only pay $20 to get those but you'd also be blocked from getting G+ for all attractions. That's sort of how Fastpass+ did things for night shows in WDW I think.

That might push more people to buy dining packages which would probably be another tactic Disney could use to take more money from customers.

I just remembered that World of Color and Fantasmic are also Fastpass "experiences". Imagine if G+ made it so that you had to not only pay $20 to get those but you'd also be blocked from getting G+ for all attractions. That's sort of how Fastpass+ did things for night shows in WDW I think.

Weren't F! and WOC exempt from the 30-90 minute MP timer? It's been so long, so I can't remember, but I swear I was able to snag F! and it did not impact my ability to reserve an MP ride. My gut says F! and WoC will use G+ purely for digital distribution purposes.

Danger Danger Will Robinson!!!! Information overload!!!

OK, see if I got this.....\

Yep- except you left out that Genie+ will exclude some of the former FP rides as well as boarding group rides-- and that Lightning Lane is pay per ride for those rides that are excluded from Genie. And Lightning Lane is not "immediate"- you have to schedule a time to ride.

Last edited:
But for WDW or Disneyland? Because there's some rides that are in both parks, but both don't have FPs
I assume any attraction that previously had Fast Pass. Just an example below, well over 15 at least, no idea if this will be true- but we'll see:

DCA
Soarin
Web Slingers
Guardians
Incredicoaster
Midway Mania
Goofy's Sky School
Grizzly River Run
Monster's Inc (it had FP temp machines rolled out)
Racers

Disneyland
Indiana Jones
Mansion
Splash
Rise (not sure how Boarding Group attractions work)
Falcon
Roger Rabbit
Autopia
Space Mountain
Buzz
Star Tours
Big Thunder

Weren't F! and WOC exempt from the 30-90 minute MP timer? It's been so long, so I can't remember, but I swear I was able to snag F! and it did not impact my ability to reserve an MP ride. My gut says F! and WoC will use G+ purely for digital distribution purposes.

F! and WOC were exempted from the timer. But I think F! at WDW and the Animal Kingdom show were part of the F+ limits. So I'm just suggesting that if Disney wanted to be greedy (which seems to be the case lately), they may put F! and WOC under the G+ restrictions when shows return.

I assume any attraction that previously had Fast Pass. Just an example below, well over 15 at least, no idea if this will be true- but we'll see:

DCA
Soarin
Web Slingers
Guardians
Incredicoaster
Midway Mania
Goofy's Sky School
Grizzly River Run
Monster's Inc (it had FP temp machines rolled out)
Racers

Disneyland
Indiana Jones
Mansion
Splash
Rise (not sure how Boarding Group attractions work)
Falcon
Roger Rabbit
Autopia
Space Mountain
Buzz
Star Tours
Big Thunder

If you scroll through the youtube video, space mountain is a for purchase only - so LL a la carte

Ok. About the "90 minute hold." I got to thinking...

RSR was the main ride that ran far ahead on the return time. We know that one is pay-per-ride. Presumably, they've done that for the other rides that used have far-away return times. (Space Mountain, Toy Story: Midway Mania, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, GOTG Soarin' would be my top guesses, in that order, based on Maxpass return time data.)

And you'll have way less people using FP. No free ones, no AP add-on (yet)...

So I am guessing that they're thinking that the number of people who will pay $20 for FPs all day = ride times won't be that far away.

Ok. About the "90 minute hold." I got to thinking...

RSR was the main ride that ran far ahead on the return time. We know that one is pay-per-ride. Presumably, they've done that for the other rides that used have far-away return times. (Space Mountain, Toy Story: Midway Mania, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, GOTG Soarin' would be my top guesses, in that order, based on Maxpass return time data.)

And you'll have way less people using FP. No free ones, no AP add-on (yet)...

So I am guessing that they're thinking that the number of people who will pay $20 for FPs all day = ride times won't be that far away.

That's some real, bona fide hope you got there :magnify:

That's some real, bona fide hope you got there :magnify:
Notice I said I bet THEY are thinking that. 😆

Or else it is going to work like Maxpass with the 90-minute hold, and they just didn't have it right in that picture.

Because I agree with whoever posted that if people pay $20 per person and their first return time is five hours away, they're going to flood guest services wanting refunds. And that can't be what they want to see happen here.

I posted a screenshot from the demo video a few pages back and that's what the wording makes it seem like, which is a HUGE change from the MP of yore.
If it is true, then I guess the positive - from a crowd management standpoint - is that this would incentivize people to select more available attractions (and dissuade people from choose attractions with later return times). The overall effect would be to reduce how quickly the return times become hours away.

For example: If it’s noon and one can book Splash Mountain in 30 minutes, or book Indy three hours from now, maybe there’s an incentive to NOT choose Indy, thereby reducing how fast Indy “sells out” for the day.

I’ll admit, that might actually be better for casual guests. But it limits how effective a “MaxPass expert” can be. Interesting.

Of course, if a LOT of attractions are not part of G+, but are only additional fee, then that limits how helpful this observation is because it would only help with the most popular attractions that are prone to selling out anyway.

Notice I said I bet THEY are thinking that. 😆

Or else it is going to work like Maxpass with the 90-minute hold, and they just didn't have it right in that picture.

Because I agree with whoever posted that if people pay $20 per person and their first return time is five hours away, they're going to flood guest services wanting refunds. And that can't be what they want to see happen here.

lol i'm just messing, but yes i'm inclined to agree... i just can't bring myself to believe a $20 add-on could be that degraded from Disney. Or, maybe it is, and part of our decision making is "is X ride worth me being locked out of every other ride until 5pm, or should I just ride other stuff in the meantime?"

That's why it's puzzling for me why they're not layering LL on top of G+... if I see a 5pm return on a ride, I might be willing to pay to LL it while I G+ the other ride.

Also, holy cow we got new verb terminology now!

Overly complicated, as expected. MP was great and worked. Couldn't we have just kept it simple like that? I don't like the a la carte stuff. My family has to choose between waiting over 2 hours to ride RSR or paying probably over $100 for a family of 7? I'll wait and see how early experiences are, but it's not sounding as great as they make it seem. Mostly I just feel confused.

The 15 minute video ... my takeaways:

2:12 Gary, "our traditional standby lines will still be available at most attractions." MOST? Harumph. However, his very next comment was about Virtual Queues attractions. His words weren't clear that all rides would be in one category or the other (Standby or VQ and not a 3rd option) but left the 3rd option (paid LL) open ... ??? // AH! This question was answered at 8:31 by Gary answering Courtney: All rides will be available with either Standby OR VQ; his answer suggests that no ride will be hidden exclusively behind a new paywall (LL).

4:47 Gary introduces the Tip Boards. I like the idea of the Tip Boards especially the Dining Tip Board. I suspect this will be very helpful.

8:04 Courtney, a PlanDisney panelist given a sneak peak, covets old tech. (Note the old AT&T rotary dial on the table behind her??)

10:55 Andres, a PlanDisney panelist with DLR MaxPass experience, asked how WDW AP and DLR Magic Key holders will add Genie+ ? Gary's answer, at launch it will be added "day by day" but they will watch for feedback.

100%

Hmm, I just saw that. So... honest question. Won't this lead to a tremendous abuse of the DAS system? No more free FP option at all + removing most of the DAS use friction... I hope I'm incorrect, and I am genuinely happy for those who need the DAS system if it's easier to use, but that is a concerning combination in some respects.

Honestly, I wonder the same thing. We use DAS for my daughter and don’t have issues approaching a CM for services, but I know the change will make it easier for some people that aren’t comfortable with or have difficulty approaching a CM. I hope Disney has worked out a way to do this that will make it easier to utilize the service without increasing the incentive for dishonest people to use it without necessity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter