GPS Watch recommendations

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
I've decided that I finally need to get a GPS watch to assist me in my training. After two runs with a friend this weekend who uses a GPS watch, I've realized the iPhone apps I've been using aren't tracking my mileage as accurately as I hoped. I am considering the watch she used (a TomTom), but I'd like some additional recommendations.

What I'm looking for is:

-accurate GPS
-ability to link data with my iPhone or computer easily (wirelessly, ideally)
-heart rate monitor
-to spend under $150

I will only be using this for running; I don't plan to make this my all-day everyday watch.

Any tips would be great!

I have a Garmin that does everything you want (except heart rate monitor)...but it cost $250. $299.99 with a heart rate monitor. But there's a $25 mail-in rebate offer right now, so....yay? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-220/prod129397.html

You might want to look at the Forerunner 15. It's $170 with a heart rate monitor and won't upload data wirelessly, but shouldn't be too hard to plug into your computer: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-15/prod145621.html

This is a great website for reviews of different running GPS watchers: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Garmin - none better out there, but they are a little more pricey.

Another vote for Garmin. I have a 210 without heart monitor and have had it for about 3 years. It's been a great watch. It won't wirelessly upload to my computer, but it's easy to do it with the cord. I'd like to get a 220, but don't really have a good reason to do so other than I want it. :)

Another vote for Garmin. I have the Forerunner 610 with the heart monitor. Can set for Bike or Running. You can customize the screen display. It has all your interval and notification settings. Virtual partner settings and display. Wireless ant stick. I love it. I also use it as the daily watch most of the time. I have had this almost 2 years. Still works great. It was over 200 for it though. Don't remember the exact cost.

Another vote for Garmin. If you can't find a new one in your price range, look for a used Forerunner 205 or 305 on Craigslist or eBay. It's one of the best watches they've ever made. Only difference between the two is the 305 has a heart rate strap.

Check out the site: dcrainmaker.com -- he goes into great depth about all sorts of sports technology including all of the GPS watches out there. My first GPS watch was the Garmin Forerunner 10 -- $129, now you can find it for $99. Wonderful watch but had no heart rate monitor and the 5 hour battery life was too short for my slow self [marathon training]. I've upgraded to the Garmin 220 -- $275 including the rebate from Garmin.

I balked at buying a Garmin, over two years ago. However, it has been infinitely easier to use than the phone apps. And, if you have problems with your watch [or its compatibility to your computer, which was happening to me], the customer service at Garmin is excellent. And I wear my Garmin as a regular watch.

Happy Shopping!

I agree with the others above. Love my Garmin, I have the 210 with the heart rate monitor. It syncs easily, though not wirelessly as others have said. I would like the 220 because it has a few extras the 210 doesn't, like a pace alarm (I stink at pacing myself) but my 210 works fine, so I can't really justify buying the 220 just for the few extra features it has over my 210.

I also used the dcrainmaker site others have mentioned. Very comprehensive reviews. Good luck with your decision.

Another vote for Garmin. I have a 610 and have never had any issues with it. Well, I still have to remind myself to charge it, but that's on me and not the watch. It syncs easily and the Garmin Connect site is pretty neat. I still go back and review older runs.

I'll join the crowd advocating for Garmin. I have a 220 and it has been a huge help in pacing my runs. I set it to auto-lap every 1/4-mile. Then every 1/4 mile it vibrates and displays my lap time. I immediately know whether I'm on pace, need to speed up or slow down.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 15. Was able to pick one up on clearance (included the heart monitor) for I think about $130

I got a Forerunner 10 for "Mawmer's Day" today - I figured I'd go with a simpler model to make sure I'd use it. Plus, since I'm focusing on pacing myself for distance right now, I was really intrigued by the Virtual Pacer function.

Now, if it would just stop monsooning so I could go run!

I got a Forerunner 10 for "Mawmer's Day" today - I figured I'd go with a simpler model to make sure I'd use it. Plus, since I'm focusing on pacing myself for distance right now, I was really intrigued by the Virtual Pacer function.

Now, if it would just stop monsooning so I could go run!
Please let me know what you think of it once you've used it a bit, because I would like to get a GPS watch, but don't want or need anything too fancy. One of the simplest models would probably be fine for what I'd want it for.

Thanks for all of these great suggestions! No my next question is - any ideas on where to find discounts on some of these watches? It doesn't look like Costco sells any of them, and I'm reluctant to buy any electronics on eBay. I'm guessing Amazon and/or Best Buy will have the best prices?

I found it pretty difficult to find a good deal on a new one. If you want new and can't find a good discount I highly recommend REI, especially if there's a physical store near you. Their return policy is fantastic if you aren't happy once you've used the watch a bit or want to up/downgrade with a little experience.

I have also seen them periodically on local Craigslist, too, if you're more comfortable there than with eBay. I've always had pretty good luck buying/selling on it.

Right now the Garmin 220 is on sale at Amazon for $249 w/ HRM and $199 w/o. I finally pulled the trigger on one since the $25 rebate is also still good. :)

IF you haven't picked one yet, or if anyone else is looking, I picked up a Polar M400 yesterday from Dick's Sporting Goods price matched to a Best Buy sale price of $139 (regularly $180).

Online reviews compared it favorably with Garmin but at a much lower price point. It does GPS with interval capabilities, customizable workout screens, and it also does activity tracking when GPS isn't on. Battery life should be ~8 hours with GPS on, 21-30 days off, and charges through regular mini-usb cable. Water resistant I think to 30 meters.

I've only taken it on one run so far - a 20 miler this morning - but it was great! And for anyone looking to get good value for < $300 it seems worth a look. DC Rainmaker and Wareable were a couple of the more thorough reviews I read before pulling the trigger. Covered the device as well as touching on Polar Flow web interface.

Just FYI for those looking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter