GPS Watch recommendations

I recently upgraded to a Garmin 225, which has the HR monitor built into the back of the watch. I use it as my daily watch, where it serves as an activity tracker (steps, distance, calories, etc.) and GPS for running (HR, pace, distance, calories, time, etc. ) It syncs with the Garmin Connect app on my iphone, so it's really easy to look at how good (or bad) I've been doing.

Garmins are great. I have the 620 with heart rate on the chest band. It includes cadance, vertical oscillations, ground contact time and heart rate and can estimate your vo2max. It also has livetracking which enables you to send someone a link where they can track you on a map.

I like it alot and it was only $ 250 on ebay...the going price there right now is like $270 and if you buy in store it would be close to $350

So, it looks like I'm going to upgrade my Garmin watch. I currently have a Forerunner 10 - but I'm thinking (aka pretty much sold on) about upgrading to a Vivoactive.

Anyone have a Vivoactive and can give me pros and cons?

Also - I'd like to gift my Forerunner 10 to someone who may be looking for a simple watch, but isn't in a place to buy one. Let me know if you can give my 10 a good home!

So, it looks like I'm going to upgrade my Garmin watch. I currently have a Forerunner 10 - but I'm thinking (aka pretty much sold on) about upgrading to a Vivoactive.

Also - I'd like to gift my Forerunner 10 to someone who may be looking for a simple watch, but isn't in a place to buy one. Let me know if you can give my 10 a good home!

I don't have one myself (love my Garmin 220), but I'd suggest checking out DC Rainmaker's review. He goes in depth in his reviews.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/garmin-vivoactive-in-depth-review.html

Another vote for Garmin. I have the 110 (discontinued) and it works great. It saves quite a few runs. I use it for running, biking, hiking and kayaking. It has a relatively quick connection to the satellites. As others said, not wireless. You could buy with or without the heart rate monitor. I don't have it with. If you'd consider buying refurbished you could get on Amazon with the heart rate monitor for $85 now. I bought mine refurbished over a year ago and no issues.

That Vivo looks kind of cool because it tracks things like sleep, steps, etc. It is like the fitbit HR but with GPS. The garmin 620 I have is only GPS and mainly meant for running so if you are looking for an everyday fitness watch that also works for running it seems the Vivi is a good fit.

Ive been going back and forth on which one to get. I have the fitbit and i hate it to know ends. Is the 10 like the fitbit. I tried to get someone to help me today but they where all to busy.
Thanx for ur advice

Went ahead and bit the bullet on the Vivoactive yesterday. Gets here Tuesday - I'm VERY excited.

I wish the swim mode could handle open water swimming (it seems like that's really the only thing it's lacking), but since I'm not in training now or in the future for a triathlon, I'm OK with that. The interface allowing me to see calls/txts/emails without pulling my phone out of my pouch/waistband pretty much sealed it for me.

Also, I liked the Silent Alarm that my FitBit had (before it died), and it appears that this watch will do the same thing. Yesssssssss.

But the fact that I can use it daily, running, swimming and on my bike while still having the same connectivity accessibility as an iWatch was just too much to pass up. I got a great deal on Amazon - my watch was $197, with free Prime Shipping.

I'm going to post a little blurb on my Training Journal regarding my Forerunner 10, which I am going to effort to re-home to someone from this group this week. If you're in need of an entry-level training watch, or want to try one out ... stop by my Training Journal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter