Hypothetical Legal Question-Jambo House

I just looked at Jambo on the DVC site, and it looks like the block is removed. It is showing a lot of available and some "not available" rooms.

Maybe they'll end up opening Jambo after all. They just moved me from a value to a standard at Kidani, but now my same dates are available at Jambo value?!?

Maybe they'll end up opening Jambo after all. They just moved me from a value to a standard at Kidani, but now my same dates are available at Jambo value?!?

I don’t think it will open until the hotel does. It was reported that they just don’t have the current bookings between a Jambo and Kidani to open both buildings, per Terri to another DVC owner.

As long as hotel side is closed, from my understanding, the cost to open and run Jambo would be solely on DVC.

My theory is that they pulled Jambo for potential NBA and realized that they could not legally shut out owners who were already booked there once the hotel side opened to guests.

So, they dumped the rooms back. CL rooms are available too and we know that Disney isn’t providing that service. Even if they decide to physically use the rooms, they wouldn’t allow people to book at as CL only to have to refund later.

I just think it is no different than the fact that we could book rooms before they even announced openings. I think you can even book a room next week too.

Newest rumors, though, are that we may start seeing some deluxe opens closer to park openings.

I had an All-Star Sports reservation for 7/20 for one night prior to my 5 nights at BCV and 5 at BLT, and when I saw that Jambo was now taking reservations, I jumped in and grabbed 2 value studios for me and my parents for that night instead! I had 6 banked points, and had to buy 18 OTU points, and with that, I was able to get the value accommodations at AKL for $12 CHEAPER than All-Star! This is the first time I used my own DVC to book a reservation...now all I have to worry about is getting into parks and the governor lifting the 14 day quarantine for the tri-state area! What can go wrong?!?!

I had an All-Star Sports reservation for 7/20 for one night prior to my 5 nights at BCV and 5 at BLT, and when I saw that Jambo was now taking reservations, I jumped in and grabbed 2 value studios for me and my parents for that night instead! I had 6 banked points, and had to buy 18 OTU points, and with that, I was able to get the value accommodations at AKL for $12 CHEAPER than All-Star! This is the first time I used my own DVC to book a reservation...now all I have to worry about is getting into parks and the governor lifting the 14 day quarantine for the tri-state area! What can go wrong?!?!

You probably really did yourself a favor if the rumor about value resorts not reopening in July holds true!

You probably really did yourself a favor if the rumor about value resorts not reopening in July holds true!

That's exactly why I did it! I'm flying in from NY on the 20th, so I need somewhere to stay, and when I saw the value accommodations were available and that I did have a small number of points, that I could do this pretty cheaply. Worked out great, now, like I said, I just have to hope I can get into the parks and...well, get into the state of Florida lol.

Because they are not changing room status...they are moving and taking that room out of service,

To me, it is a big difference, For me, it would be making up rules as to how to reclassify a CL room without it being in the POS...which could be there and then it’s a moot point.

The point I was making is that they could take CL rooms out of service legally if they want to and so far, I haven’t seen anything to suggest they can’t.

I believe they own points at the resort for this exact reason...so if open room becomes unavailable then they move to one that is.

Again, I am not saying they will...just that I think they can legally take them out of service, Just as they had to the values when the floor was closed due to hotel renovations.

Sorry but I don't see any backing for what you're stating. And it makes things worse point wise. As mentioned there is nothing in the unit declarations themselves that they will be anything in particular. They could (and have) given rooms on the 5th floor to those who were booked CL. If following your logic then any legally room change that is normally assigned in a different category should dictate you either pay or are reimbursed for the difference. That is not necessary nor what's done unless the request comes from the guest to move and the room type they want to move to is available. There's zero reason to not assign people to the 6th floor rooms at Jambo even if CL lounge is not open.

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't see any backing for what you're stating. And it makes things worse point wise. As mentioned there is nothing in the unit declarations themselves that they will be anything in particular. They could (and have) given rooms on the 5th floor to those who were booked CL.

We are talking about five 2 bedrooms whose points are built with CL levels. Not offering that service and booking them as something else IS reclassifying them temporarily as a different type of room-and I see nothing that gives them the authority to do that.

Indirectly, they would be adjusting the points charts and booking those rooms as a different category

So yup, unless someone can provide me with something from the POS that deals with this, I believe then can take 5 2 bedroom lock offs out of service.

We can agree to disagree, Again, I never said they would, but that they can open Jambo and decide not to fill those rooms if they want.

Last edited:
We are talking about five 2 bedrooms whose points are built with CL levels. Not offering that service and booking them as something else IS reclassifying them temporarily as a different type of room-and I see nothing that gives them the authority to do that.

Indirectly, they would be adjusting the points charts and booking those rooms as a different category

So yup, unless someone can provide me with something from the POS that deals with this, I believe then can take 5 2 bedroom lock offs out of service.

We can agree to disagree, Again, I never said they would, but that they can open Jambo and decide not to fill those rooms if they want.

Or if you can point out something in the POS that shows specific rooms designated as a specific type and that they can only be charged certain points or be removed from service then I'd agree. It's not there for any of the resorts. How to explain SSR getting split into Standard and Preferred if that were the way it worked?

I decided to take a look at the AKV declaration documents. The 6th floor units when added to the association do not have any special designation referenced in the drawings filed nor the documents filed at that time. The Initial AKV documents of course reference the Concierge Lounge and that only designated Concierge rooms will have access. So far I haven't run across them designating what rooms even though it was logical it would be the rooms on that floor.

As has been mentioned in the past the Concierge lounge is actually a limited common element reserved for use by the Concierge units. WDWHRC (aka - AKV hotel side) was given an easement to use the lounge and shares the expense. They can terminate that agreement at which time all expenses would be DVC. If they do that then DVC has the right to allow other owners to access the lounge for a fee to be decided upon by DVC or DVC can "discontinue the provision of concierge services from the Concierge Lounge provided that the Concierge Lounge will continue to be open and available to Owners staying in the Concierge Units".
------------------------------------------
One other interesting section is 12.12.1 of the Declaration of Condominium for AKV: The Vacation Ownership Plan and Home Resort Reservation component has a statement where it says (paraphrasing) - it is the express intent that all units committed to the Vacation Ownership plan will be available for use by all owners at all times (based on first come first served etc).
-----------------------------------------
Lastly of note - there's a reference that DVC has the fiduciary responsibility to the association alone and not to any associated entities. ie - they must operate for our best interest and not to accommodate The WDW company.

And that's all I've got left on the subject.

Last edited:
I emailed Terri Schultz last night about lack of room availability at Jambo- and this is what I rec'd in return...

"Thank you for your note, and your feedback. It looks like we were experiencing a technology issue and the Jambo House inventory was not appropriately displaying. As you might imagine during these past weeks we have been juggling a lot of system updates to keep up with all the closures, openings and more, and it appears this issue slipped through. It is now fixed, so you should now see available inventory at Jambo House."

Apparently inventory can go missing from the RAT for multiple days and DVC doesn't notice? Whatever....

I emailed Terri Schultz last night about lack of room availability at Jambo- and this is what I rec'd in return...

"Thank you for your note, and your feedback. It looks like we were experiencing a technology issue and the Jambo House inventory was not appropriately displaying. As you might imagine during these past weeks we have been juggling a lot of system updates to keep up with all the closures, openings and more, and it appears this issue slipped through. It is now fixed, so you should now see available inventory at Jambo House."

Apparently inventory can go missing from the RAT for multiple days and DVC doesn't notice? Whatever....

:rotfl2:

I don’t think they are club level rooms
I decided to take a look at the AKV declaration documents. The 6th floor units when added to the association do not have any special designation referenced in the drawings filed nor the documents filed at that time. The Initial AKV documents of course reference the Concierge Lounge and that only designated Concierge rooms will have access. So far I haven't run across them designating what rooms even though it was logical it would be the rooms on that floor.

As has been mentioned in the past the Concierge lounge is actually a limited common element reserved for use by the Concierge units. WDWHRC (aka - AKV hotel side) was given an easement to use the lounge and shares the expense. They can terminate that agreement at which time all expenses would be DVC. If they do that then DVC has the right to allow other owners to access the lounge for a fee to be decided upon by DVC or DVC can "discontinue the provision of concierge services from the Concierge Lounge provided that the Concierge Lounge will continue to be open and available to Owners staying in the Concierge Units".
------------------------------------------
One other interesting section is 12.12.1 of the Declaration of Condominium for AKV: The Vacation Ownership Plan and Home Resort Reservation component has a statement where it says (paraphrasing) - it is the express intent that all units committed to the Vacation Ownership plan will be available for use by all owners at all times (based on first come first served etc).
-----------------------------------------
Lastly of note - there's a reference that DVC has the fiduciary responsibility to the association alone and not to any associated entities. ie - they must operate for our best interest and not to accommodate The WDW company.

And that's all I've got left on the subject.
yuppers... I’m not a POS guru by any means, but we were one of the first AKV members (names still on the quilt thing).
Our deed was at Jambo, and there was no lower percentage of ownership if you owned one of the “units” that included the sixth floor. If those*rooms* had a higher value, the percentage would have been lower given the same amount of points purchased.

Does that make sense?

I don’t think they are club level rooms

yuppers... I’m not a POS guru by any means, but we were one of the first AKV members (names still on the quilt thing).
Our deed was at Jambo, and there was no lower percentage of ownership if you owned one of the “units” that included the sixth floor. If those*rooms* had a higher value, the percentage would have been lower given the same amount of points purchased.

Does that make sense?

Yep!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter