Hypothetical Legal Question-Jambo House

No need to take the actual CL rooms out of service. Just do a point adjustment for not having the CL lounge.

They could,,,but I think they can legally decide to do it,...then there is no trying to decide to adjust...is it value? Standard?

Aren’t CL rooms on floor 6 with only other hotel rooms? If no CL is being offered to anyone, it shuts that floor off, right?

I think they've set aside some rooms to 'fix problems".

If / how they can fix yours, I don't know. But I really think they're trying.
well we are dvc and booked a dvc studio at Jambo house, there was no mention of it not reopening when we booked it so hope they move us with no additional point cost with choices of resorts. Will call tomorrow to find out about our points!

They could,,,but I think they can legally decide to do it,...then there is no trying to decide to adjust...is it value? Standard?

Aren’t CL rooms on floor 6 with only other hotel rooms? If no CL is being offered to anyone, it shuts that floor off, right?

What do you feel the legal basis is?

I do not believe the units are declared any differently than any other. The overall resort total points includes for CL, Value, Standard and Savannah view points but no room has a specific designation in the unit declarations. And it would be better to keep using points vs just declaring rooms unavailable. There's nothing special or unique about the rooms themselves that would prevent them from being used.

Honestly, I think people who have fall trips will be okay. The rooms disappearing was weird, but it was probably to just secure as many empty ones as they could to move cash guests,

It just doesn’t seem they can take out rooms from service...other than CL...if the hotel opens.

If the hotel is closed for valid reasons, then they will move you to wherever they can that is open, but will not charge you extra. That is standard policy for when rooms go down for maintenance, etc.

My reservations were AKV value studio Sept 26-29 and Sept 29-Oct. 2 CL studio. when I canceled and booked Copper Creek (I did not want to be caught at the last minute with very little options and so I booked CCV). There is no way that the value studio AND the CL studio are out of commission at the same time.

When I called to combine the 2 separate CCV reservations today, the CM told me my March waitlist for value studio came through. I check the DVC site many times a day and I didn't see the availability.... But, I am happy that I now have 2 value studios booked for March.

I will miss my CL studio, but we had CCV 2 bedroom booked for May that had to be canceled and this will be a mini do-over. studio instead of a 2 br.

What do you feel the legal basis is?

I do not believe the units are declared any differently than any other. The overall resort total points includes for CL, Value, Standard and Savannah view points but no room has a specific designation in the unit declarations. And it would be better to keep using points vs just declaring rooms unavailable. There's nothing special or unique about the rooms themselves that would prevent them from being used.

The room is a CL room and there are specific points associated with it. Since CL is not available than the room can not be booked as it is supposed to be,

How would it be legal to decide how many points to give back? I don’t see anything that allows them to do that either.

To me, that would be changing a classification of a room. Maybe those rooms don’t actually have a difference...but, they are accounted for in the points chart that way, and don’t see any legal justification to use them and simply charge less.

But, I am not an AKV owner, so maybe they have something in the POS that dictates what happens if CL is not available and what is given back.

Last edited:
So it seems that AKV owners are crossing their fingers hoping the Jambo opens - or, changing their reservation from Jambo. DVC appears to be saying that when demand dictates, they will open Jambo (per reported emails and conversations with DVC.)

The issue isn't that Jambo will not open when WDW opens - the issue is that DVC has blocked all Jambo reservations thru the end of the year - and every time someone cancels a room - it still remains unavailable.

So answer me this riddle- how is demand supposed to increase for Jambo house? Or is that their plan? To block rooms- thereby not allowing an increase in reservations and hopefully causing enough people to change their current reservations that it justifies keeping Jambo closed?

How is it even legal to block more than half of a years room reservations?

Looked at my POS- and the only rooms listed are Jambo rooms - Kidani was only a twinkle in their eye when I bought in March, 2007 (AKV became available for purchase Feb. 2007.) Also- Club level and lounge are definitely listed. (Sorry I posted this on another thread too, but I'm really irrate and it applies to both)

A friend of my that works for ABC sports said he is excited to stay at AKl with the NBA. His wife and son can come Disney will provide activities at the resort so they do not have to leave resort. His son is hoping for his school to still be closed come fall so that he can do online school and still stay at the resort during the start of school.
I wonder if they know for sure that AKL is the resort or if they are following rumors.
DVC's going to have some explaining to do if that ends up actually being true.
Thank you for posting this info @Shelly F - Ohio , it's the closest thing I've read so far to a definitive answer to our question - not what I was hoping to hear but it does add another tick to the negative column :(
There's nothing stopping Disney from using the AKL HOTEL rooms for this purpose. AKL is the Disney Hotel. The DVC rooms are AKV.

I think it is very premature to think Disney will displace DVC owners to accommodate the NBA.

The room is a CL room and there are specific points associated with it. Since CL is not available than the room can not be booked as it is supposed to be,

How would it be legal to decide how many points to give back? I don’t see anything that allows them to do that either.

To me, that would be changing a classification of a room. Maybe those rooms don’t actually have a difference...but, they are accounted for in the points chart that way, and don’t see any legal justification to use them and simply charge less.

But, I am not an AKV owner, so maybe they have something in the POS that dictates what happens if CL is not available and what is given back.

What is the difference between giving points back on a CL room because the lounge won't be open vs moving someone from a Value room to a standard and not charging additional points? Nothing. The rooms could still be used for reservations.

DVC makes point compensations periodically - that is not new and is all that would be done.

There's nothing stopping Disney from using the AKL HOTEL rooms for this purpose. AKL is the Disney Hotel. The DVC rooms are AKV.

I think it is very premature to think Disney will displace DVC owners to accommodate the NBA.

That isn't actually the issue. Or at least not something I'm believing would happen. The issue is that if there is demand for more rooms at AKV than there is at Kidani then they cannot block the DVC section from use by owners. And if they open the resort for the NBA or any other guests of AKL then I kind of think they need to allow DVC owners who want to book there to book AKV - Jambo.

I forgot to answer this - It's only DVC rooms on the 6th floor - but still nothing special about them that the floor needs to be closed off just because they aren't opening the lounge. The hotel CL rooms are on the 4th floor and they come up to the 6th floor to the CL lounge.

There's nothing magic or special about the rooms themselves. A 1BR will cost X points. A 1BR on CL will cost Y points. If CL services are not available refund the difference between Y-X.

I know the person said Terri commented on the reason why Jambo was not open because of the availability at Kidani. I took that as DVC cant justify staffing/upkeep of all of Jambo by itself. If the hotel side is open than that will help balance the cost of staffing Jambo and should be open.

If DVC takes rooms out of inventory do they have to use their own points to take rooms out? I just did a quick search for a random week in November 11/8-11/15 and the most any resort had for Studios and 1 Bedrooms were 3 consecutive days. If I base that week off only 2 BR's & GV's (not accounting for lockoff premiums) that's keeping 24,987 points out of inventory for just that week from DVC members who could have points expiring and can not use them.

now that being said we have a reservation 7/10-7/12 and have not gotten the call about being moved. Disney/DVC can come out and say that once parks open Jambo will reopen and DVC can release all the inventory.

I really want to know what dues look like on AKV if they keep Jambo shutdown for an extended period of time.

I really want to know what dues look like on AKV if they keep Jambo shutdown for an extended period of time.
And that will start the swirl of who gets the benefit. AKV owners will stay at other DVC resorts, using up that inventory and getting value out of the dues paid by other owners. Oh my head!

MLS is now confirmed to go to Swan & Dolphin https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-is-back-tournament/health-and-safety-protocols

NBA is most likely at CSR, although perhaps they could use other resorts as size gets smaller and/or for families when players are finished.

So it is looking more like Jambo is closed because of guest capacity. And as I have stated before, so they have some place for the guests displaced by the NBA.

Although it does have an "and" with Walt Disney World Resort, so maybe not exclusive? Or are they referring to ESPN World of Sports?

Last edited:
The issue isn't that Jambo will not open when WDW opens - the issue is that DVC has blocked all Jambo reservations thru the end of the year - and every time someone cancels a room - it still remains unavailable.

So answer me this riddle- how is demand supposed to increase for Jambo house? Or is that their plan? To block rooms- thereby not allowing an increase in reservations and hopefully causing enough people to change their current reservations that it justifies keeping Jambo closed?

Brilliant point.:worship: I never even thought of that!!! I'm really trying to not be a Negative Nelly with everything that is going on, but I am sure becoming disillusioned with some of what WDW/DVC is doing right now.

What is the difference between giving points back on a CL room because the lounge won't be open vs moving someone from a Value room to a standard and not charging additional points? Nothing. The rooms could still be used for reservations.

DVC makes point compensations periodically - that is not new and is all that would be done.

Because they are not changing room status...they are moving and taking that room out of service,

To me, it is a big difference, For me, it would be making up rules as to how to reclassify a CL room without it being in the POS...which could be there and then it’s a moot point.

The point I was making is that they could take CL rooms out of service legally if they want to and so far, I haven’t seen anything to suggest they can’t.

I believe they own points at the resort for this exact reason...so if open room becomes unavailable then they move to one that is.

Again, I am not saying they will...just that I think they can legally take them out of service, Just as they had to the values when the floor was closed due to hotel renovations.

With NBA going to CS and MLS going to the Swolphin, rumors about using Jambo to host a bubble are definitely out. So Jambo is closed because of the low demand and because the cash side is closed. The question now is, how long DVC can keep it closed?
Source:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/major-league-soccer-tournament-disney-world/
Edit:
They've opened reservations back up for AKV - Jambo. Tons of availability through end of year. Hope it's not a glitch.

You answered me before I even posted :D

With NBA going to CS and MLS going to the Swolphin, rumors about using Jambo to host a bubble are definitely out. So Jambo is closed because of the low demand and because the cash side is closed. The question now is, how long DVC can keep it closed?
Source:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/major-league-soccer-tournament-disney-world/

Based on my reading of POS, they will open when hotel opens...no reason at that point not to because DVC would no longer have to take on full financial burden of running it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter