• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you searching multi-city or one ways? One ways are crazy expensive, but multi-city is somewhere in between RT and one-ways.
Both. For American Multi city is was around 1800..whereas round trip it is 650 ish. One way is absurd pricing. Although i just checked Norwegian Air and it is 270 one way. This is the regular economy not even the basic economy. I hear mixed results about them so I'm def suspicious and hesitant especially regarding their flight cancellations.

Last edited:
Hello all! I was drawn here by the FIRE thread :)

I am going to be looking to up my credit card game here in a few weeks (I've got to wait for my dad's house to sell and the estate to distribute; closing is next month and I'm the executor so I feel pretty confident about the timeline). I am going to be doing yearly trips to Europe starting in a year or so (taking one kid at a time on a "memory trip"), and I'd like to get max value for that.

Current lineup:
Navy Federal CU card (earns 1.5%) opened 8/08 21K limit (will lower this before I start playing the game but I'm currently running this pretty high for low interest until the estate distributes then it will get paid off)
Cap1 quicksilver (1.5%) opened 1/09 10.5K limit
Chase Disney Visa opened 9/13 4k limit
Amex BCP opened 5/15 3200 limit
Discover IT opened 9/15 5500 limit
Chase SW Premier opened 1/16 13k limit
USAA basic CC opened 12/16 2500 limit (would not hurt my feelings to close this, although my son 3 states away has it to use in emergencies)

I'm closer to Indy (little over an hour) than Chicago (3 hours), so I usually fly IND, almost always SW. I can do 2500 a month in regular spend easily, not including vacation funds, a bathroom that needs remodeled or doing any MS, plus I have a 850/mo mortgage. I don't have a car payment. I used plastiq a little with VGC I got during the apple pay/discover promo 3.5 years ago (man, those were the days), but nothing since (I do seem to still have an account). The only new credit I've had in 2 years is my mortgage. I do not have a P2, although I do have some young adults I could bring into the picture if it was lucrative enough :D (dd22 has a steady job from being an LPN and is an AU on the Disney card, ds19 is in the army, and DS18 is in college and an AU on SW card).

I've followed doc loosely for a few years, and have never done anything on reddit before, so could use some info there. Advice appreciated :)

Looks like you are 0/24 with Chase so in great shape! I see no need to lower your NFCU credit limit. I have a 9% interest rate on 2 of their cards that I've had for 25+ years, and if I ever need to charge a large amount that I can't pay off in one month, that's where the charge will end up, plus remember they do 0% with no fees occasionally. Another NFCU option is the flagship rewards - great card! You can read about it on their site.

If you are up to business cards, start with a CIP. That will give 80K UR's.

The SW can be closed and applied for again after a month or so. You could try for a SW companion pass.

There are other posters on here that will have some great ideas.

Pardon me. I am finally caught up and dreaming of limp green beans and chickenpox salad for dinner.

Leaving work in a half hour to buy captain marvel tickets for tonight on the way home. Must see before Endgame next Saturday.

Half way to my 4k csp spend in a month. Yikes! Summer camp sign up helped!

When do i go for the freedom? Obviously not until i meet this spend...

Thank you for your take on it. I think it would be interesting to know my heritage. As far as knowing my birth mother, I’m not sure. She has her own life and I don’t want to make anyone feel awkward. I just think it would be cool to know what she looks like which I could probably do with some googling. If I do a kit like that, can other people find me through it? I don’t really want that to happen. Or does it just give names?
You have control over how much personal information you share, including your name. A lot of people use an alias, just like here on the DisBoards. You could try to be especially tricky and use someone else's screen name, like SouthFayetteFan. :D

Just want to say hope everyone in the line of storms is safe today! My work just announced they're closing at noon and DH is leaving at 11:30 to head home too.

Oh wow! It started raining hard here around noon but is just drizzling now. Grands and I were on the deck all morning riding their 'scooters' - a radio flyer tricycle and a Huffy Cinderella bike with training wheels - they are just learning how to pedal.

So I put a (instant) tent up (on the deck) for them to stay dry, but we gave up and came inside and they both decided on naps after I snapped 'go take a nap'!

I let my Samsung phone update last night and it changed everything, and that is where I usually watch the weather. Off to check it out.

*Tornado watch all night, and flash flooding. Right now we are showing clear but the bad weather is all around us so something will close in soon.

I agree but the round trips leaving in and out of 1 city is a lot cheaper than 2 separate one ways. I can do that all day on domestic but on intl
prices shoot way up. I prefer the legacy 3 for the points. Although i may look at Norwegian just for convenience sake.

Try Iceland Air if they fly from your city or somewhere you're willing to position from. I enjoyed their flight and earned Alaska miles for my flight, though not as many as I would have liked since it's based on flights for the partner but better than nothing.

So, pigs can fly :D

They do in my yard! Should have filled it last night but didn't so one was hovering this morning so I need to go fill it. The two regular bird feeders are being eaten slowly since there's no more stuff for them to eat. Only flowers around are the dandelions and tulips so I'm guessing that's part of it, but they are for sure eating more now than in winter. I don't understand how something so small can eat so much.

You have control over how much personal information you share, including your name. A lot of people use an alias, just like here on the DisBoards. You could try to be especially tricky and use someone else's screen name, like SouthFayetteFan. :D
Emphasis on “like” because there is only ONE SouthFayetteFan (the world couldn’t handle any more of me!)

Oh wow! It started raining hard here around noon but is just drizzling now. Grands and I were on the deck all morning riding their 'scooters' - a radio flyer tricycle and a Huffy Cinderella bike with training wheels - they are just learning how to pedal.

So I put a (instant) tent up (on the deck) for them to stay dry, but we gave up and came inside and they both decided on naps after I snapped 'go take a nap'!

I let my Samsung phone update last night and it changed everything, and that is where I usually watch the weather. Off to check it out.

*Tornado watch all night, and flash flooding. Right now we are showing clear but the bad weather is all around us so something will close in soon.

Well it turns out absolutely nothing has happened here this afternoon except rain! Thought I did turn on the radio earlier as they were doing a “take cover now” warning for two counties over. They say we’re going to get storms later though.

Well it turns out absolutely nothing has happened here this afternoon except rain! Thought I did turn on the radio earlier as they were doing a “take cover now” warning for two counties over. They say we’re going to get storms later though.

Wind is getting crazy here.

This brand is great! Just bought some.

View attachment 395488

Never seen that brand here and I don't do horseradish. French onion is gross. It's got to be bacon and onion. It was a couple of local grocery chains generic brands that made it and one other non generic brand that I never see any more. Oh well, I've gotten used to not having it. I used to come home during college and eat a small container of it within a few days though :) And always with the store brand generic ruffled potato chips not ruffles because that's what you eat with dip :)

Wait, guys, am I crazy? How do I get the Citi AA Biz option when doing a dummy booking? I feel like I'm going crazy because only the personal is showing up.

Saw this article making its way around the blogosphere and eventually to Reddit today: United Airlines Plays Hardball With Expedia and JPMorgan Chase - skift.

On the credit card side, executives have been negotiating with JPMorgan Chase on a new contract, asking for terms as generous as Delta Air Lines received earlier this month from American Express. The United relationship is important to Chase, and eventually, the airline likely will get its own rich deal.
[Joseph] DeNardi [an analyst with Stifel] said he expects United will engage in a request for proposals process, if only to put pressure on Chase. United, he said, could solicit proposals from Wells Fargo or Bank of America.

Expedia is another matter.

In February, United said it has been unable to reach a new agreement with the online travel agency, and on Wednesday executives confirmed they plan to pull their flights from the group’s consumer sites by Sept. 30.
“The big question is whether United intends to walk away from Expedia following the contract expiration, or whether it is simply playing hardball in search of better terms[.]”

So, uh... on the credit card side, United is fishing for a better deal, if not from Chase then WF or BofA; and possibly even splitting the portfolio like AA does with Citi and Barclays.

But pulling United fares off Expedia?! Now that the Chase travel portal runs on Expedia? Chase UR is taking some major hits lately with the loss of Disney redemptions, Hyatt and Marriott category changes, the loss of Korean Air as a transfer partner, devaluation of United as a transfer partner due to the end of award charts, and now possibly the removal of United flights from redemption through the portal altogether. :sad2:

Ben at OMMAT wrote a post about the above article: United Airlines Threatens To Stop Selling Flights Through Expedia.

Wait, guys, am I crazy? How do I get the Citi AA Biz option when doing a dummy booking? I feel like I'm going crazy because only the personal is showing up.
You can just click here:
https://creditcards.aa.com/citi-business-card-american-airlines-viewres/

giphy.gif

You know that’s a good idea. I think I’ll be @Lain. His spreadsheet will get confusing real fast

Yeah - with the holiday weekend I’d give it until at least Wednesday to see if it approves on its own. :)

In the meantime I might apply for the Hilton personal card too lol. Especially since I found out DH needs $600 worth of work on his car :faint: It'll put me over 5/24, but I'll be back to 3/24 in November. No plans to pick up any Chase cards anytime soon anyways since I got the Hyatt card in February. I figure I can cancel my CIP when the AF comes due in May and then pick another one up in November if that deal hasn't tanked yet. That would give me some URs to play with for Japan next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter