I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't fully understand the implications of the award chart elimination. Does this mean they will base required miles on cash booking prices? I have about 12k miles in my account - figured I've eventually move a few thousand over from UR and use them for a one way booking.

I don't think anyone 100% knows the impact yet. Like when this happened with Delta, there will still be great deals here and there. But you'll never be able to plan and work toward them the same way again. If everything is dynamic pricing, it's like a constant moving goal post. So if you see a great redemption, grab it since it may change very quickly.

They say the change on United inokements on November 15th. What if I can book before that?

The United news is awful. I'm trying to get United miles for a big 2020 anniversary trip. Now I'm not sure if we will have enough. Follow up question. If I'm an AU on DH's United card, can I get another in my own name and still get the bonus?

Heh, I'm super far behind but reading doc article, seem to suggest it only affects United Flights. Partners flight will follow the current award redemptions.

I think...

It's been an absolutely terrible week and hellish day. I spent it in the ER with DH. But now we are home and he is doing better and resting.

Our Las Vegas Aerosmith trip is in 5 days. At 8 p.m. DH said he still wanted to go. I just booked a room through the Luxury Resort Collection via Chase. I really like that perk - comes with the premium UR earning cards and the United card (and probably some others too).

I hope this weekend is quiet. I'm about mentally done.

I obviously haven't been on here today but I see a comment about United... which lead me to DoC... which led me to sigh in disgust. Getting rid of award charts is garbage.
I hope he continues to improve and that you both enjoy your trip :-)

It's been an absolutely terrible week and hellish day. I spent it in the ER with DH. But now we are home and he is doing better and resting.

Our Las Vegas Aerosmith trip is in 5 days. At 8 p.m. DH said he still wanted to go. I just booked a room through the Luxury Resort Collection via Chase. I really like that perk - comes with the premium UR earning cards and the United card (and probably some others too).

I obviously haven't been on here today but I see a comment about United... which lead me to DoC... which led me to sigh in disgust. Getting rid of award charts is garbage.
Hope your DH is doing better.

We used the Luxury Collection for our stay at Mandalay Bay and like the perks that came with it. I enjoyed my spa treatment and their spa facilities. And they let us use our breakfast credit to grab a ton of food to take with us to the airport since we had an early flight home.

I’m so glad to hear your husband is doing better and feeling up for the trip. Have a wonderful time!!!

Oh you should totally dress up! Have you ever looked into any of the custom Disney fabric groups on FB? The fabric I got yesterday was some black tulle with crystals from Fancy Pants Fabrics. It will be the skirt attached to a bodice made out of custom Star Wars fabric. Here's what the fabric looks like on a dress I just made for myself.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I can't see your picture but perhaps it's my browser (will try in Chrome). I dumped facebook several years ago--but I might take a look when dh is logged into his account! I used to sew outfits for our trips and appliqué t-shirts. Even then-20-yo ds would wear matching shirts. I really should do something for next year, especially since it will be ds's fiancee's first WDW trip ever :-)

With award charts, you knew roughly how many miles you had to pay for your seat in economy or the premium cabin to get from A to B, regardless if you were flying at a low or high demand time, provided there was award availability. The miles were set by a chart and your miles cost were capped. It gave some clarity and made it easy to compare miles to cash fares so you could maximize your cpp/cpm and really get some outsized value from your redemptions. United is moving their miles program to dynamic pricing, so your miles cost is apparently based on demand and the cash price of the ticket. That’s going to hit passengers hard who want to use their miles to fly during peak travel times or on business/first. I’m wondering what will happen to saver fares if redemptions are revenue based. There’s no cap now, so a business class ticket that I’ve been eying that was capped at the 70k miles saver level under the charts might cost 200k, maybe more?

As you know, I've been watching business class flights to Australia since last summer. Yesterday I scanned months of flights from various airports (IAH, LAX, and SFO nonstop plus PHL and EWR). For the first time ever I saw non-saver redemptions for 270K. I used to be able to see business saver 80K from PHL through IAH. Now that is no longer available, even when I could see the 80K fares from IAH.

Last edited:
I tried to pay an auto loan using Plastiq. The auto loan was with M & T and I was using a chase visa. A message came up saying you can’t pay this mortgage lender with plastiq using a visa, but it isn’t a mortgage loan, it’s an auto loan. I don’t intend to use plastiq very much at all, but was just trying to see how it works. Is this typical?

But when only one kid, either Dad or kid gets left home. Neither happening here. OTOH with only 1 kid, it’s not bad anyway. He mostly picks and we interject a few things we like.
Totally agree. My DS does the majority of the ride selection and occasionally asks what I would like to ride. DH isn’t a big ride fan so he sits them out quite a bit. We’re actually on our way to Hersheypark to start our season off there. Although DH and DS spend most of their time playing games instead of getting on rides.

Is anyone working on any bank bonuses at the moment? DH and I are working on the Wells Fargo checking $400 bonus after 3 months of $3k direct deposit. DH is using his paycheck to meet. My paycheck is a pain to modify so I’m trying out ACH from my Fidelity cash account. Just curious to hear what others are working on.

Update on my MSRs for CIP #2 and SPG Business Bonvoy.

MSR for CIP #2 was met with (most of) my deposit for 2020 hs grad trip for dd (she works super hard and is a very good student -- 4.7 GPA all STEM classes except for the required language courses).

MSR for SPG Bus Bonvoy will be met shortly. A small portion was used for the 2020 grad trip and dd gets her wisdom teeth out on Friday. I thought dh would want me to put the expense on his platinum AmEx card, but he is now insisting only business expenses go on that card. So I get to put the $2,000.00 on the Bonvoy (really hoping the oral surgeon takes AmEx -- best part is 50% of the surgery is covered by insurance, so will get half back -- YAY!). Then will have board for dd's horse for May and poof! MSR met.

So, looks like the AA Citi business card is up next. @Lain @SouthFayetteFan @platamama @calypso726 how much time do I need to space out between applications? Can I apply for a Citi AA business card now with the current 70k offer? Here is where I'm at (copied from my newly created spreadsheet :):)):

Chase Sapphire Reserve October, 2016
Hyatt Chase July, 2018
Chase Ink Preferred September, 2018
AmEx Hilton Aspire 14-Dec-18
AmEx Hilton Business 27-Jan-19
AmEx Bonvoy Business 18-Mar-19
Chase Ink Preferred #2 23-Mar

Primary need will continue to be hotel nights as we fly international with Aeroplan miles from Toronto and dh has almost 700,000 of those. He still has around 400,000 AAdvantage points, but I may need those for flights next year.

Hotels for college visits (we need to visit Lehigh, Purdue, Case Western and UC Boulder) next year are the priority. George Washington (DC) is in 2 weeks (not on points -- will pay with my Aspire to get 12X points towards our Maldives trip next year).

Looking at live traffic, no matter which way you went, there seems to be nothing big enough to slow you down this morning!

Should take around 4 hours depending on if you stop! Enjoy your day on the road and at your destination and stay safe!
Thank you, Everyone, for your input!! Judique, you’re right, we had a relatively easy drive on 495-95-3-64-29. No traffic!!! We left at 7:30 and arrived at 11:50 with a couple stops. @DisneyMandC - there were lots of horse farms on Route 3. Thought of you, lol. It’s a beautiful partly sunny spring day in the VA hills. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

I tried to pay an auto loan using Plastiq. The auto loan was with M & T and I was using a chase visa. A message came up saying you can’t pay this mortgage lender with plastiq using a visa, but it isn’t a mortgage loan, it’s an auto loan. I don’t intend to use plastiq very much at all, but was just trying to see how it works. Is this typical?

I'm going to say yes. You can message them and let them know that it's for an auto loan and they may make an exception. I've had to send them an invoice (for dd's horse chiropractor) as proof of a legit expense. More recently, go back and forth with them this week to allow board for dd's horse on my AmEx. It doesn't hurt to ask for re-consideration.

Is anyone working on any bank bonuses at the moment? DH and I are working on the Wells Fargo checking $400 bonus after 3 months of $3k direct deposit. DH is using his paycheck to meet. My paycheck is a pain to modify so I’m trying out ACH from my Fidelity cash account. Just curious to hear what others are working on.

Working on BB&T for both of us right now. Met all the requirements, just waiting to see when they'll post.

Thank you, Everyone, for your input!! Judique, you’re right, we had a relatively easy drive on 495-95-3-64-29. No traffic!!! We left at 7:30 and arrived at 11:50 with a couple stops. @DisneyMandC - there were lots of horse farms on Route 3. Thought of you, lol. It’s a beautiful partly sunny spring day in the VA hills. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Yes! Major horse country up there. Glad you didn't hit traffic!

I'm going to say yes. You can message them and let them know that it's for an auto loan and they may make an exception. I've had to send them an invoice (for dd's horse chiropractor) as proof of a legit expense. More recently, go back and forth with them this week to allow board for dd's horse on my AmEx. It doesn't hurt to ask for re-consideration.

Does your daughter show? Can't remember if we'd discussed that before!

Can I apply for a Citi AA business card now with the current 70k offer? Here is where I'm at (copied from my newly created spreadsheet :):)):

Yes, you are good to go on a citi AA biz. If this is your first one, you can use any public offer. You can apply for another citi AA biz 95 days after the previous one and you will need a mailer for that one.

I would book the 80K (if I am understanding you correctly that this covers the suite cost?) and then also start a dummy booking to figure out what the room costs and divide that by three. If you want to be generous you could discount a little. Room cost (approx.) 210 x two nights equals $420 divided by three = $140 each. Your points are 'your' cash. Don't feel bad using them.

As I explained to someone earlier this week in real life, its important to tell someone what they are required to pay. This person was all 'oh I've got points' to her friend and then wanted to charge but now didn't know how to bring it up.

You can add value to your friends cost because points rooms usually result in no tax, so it will/should be cheaper. If you feel like it, you can 'treat' by doing the cash plus 43K, but I like the 'no cash out of my pocket' deals better.

And, there's nothing wrong with charging the lowest amount you are comfy with.

This is kinda what we did for Paris. I used free nights and points so we could stay at the hyatt vendome. No way wr would have paid so we figured out how much we would have paid if we'd had to pick a property and then she paid half that. We'll do the same for Japan/China in a couple years.

I can't see your picture but perhaps it's my browser (will try in Chrome). I dumped facebook several years ago--but I might take a look when dh is logged into his account! I used to sew outfits for our trips and appliqué t-shirts. Even then-20-yo ds would wear matching shirts. I really should do something for next year, especially since it will be ds's fiancee's first WDW trip ever :-)
Oh, how strange, I could even see my picture in your quote. I only am on FB to be in sewing and fabric groups. Even that can be a bit much sometimes! You should definitely sew for your trip next year, especially if your family is still willing to dress up! I'll try again with the picture:
star wars dress.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter