• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I volunteer to be tribute to the Chase PC games and report back.
I'm here to report back. @wanderlust7 @happ @FreeDiningFanatic I PC'd my CSP to a Freedom just now. This was originally a CSR from 2017, downgraded to CSP in 7/2021 (to have P2 apply thru my link), downgraded to Freedom just now. The Chase rep says I should have my new card in 5-7 business days. I'll activate the 5% categories and use up my existing credit on the account from canceled award ticket fees. I had 2x URs removed from my account for that cancelation, but will get 5x URs for putting that amount on the current 5x categories.

So my plan is to hope the in-branch 100K offer lives for 30 days. 🤞 I guess hoping is not much of a plan TBH but I'm willing to be a DP.

I'm also plotting out P2's SW CP and seeing how I can maximize supportals...

Is it refundable? If so and it doesn't cost more, I would cancel and rebook. If not, then at least you know for next time. Safe travels!
unfortunately for me, the price of our CURRENT rental (through alamo) has gone up by a few hundred dollars and thrifty has one for about $35 cheaper now. But the whole being able to skip the rental counter is a deal breaker for us.

I've had no issues with adding the member number with Alamo, but Thrifty would not allow me to add my number on a 3rd party booking in August for October. I believe I had an issue with Budget once where they wouldn't add it after the fact because it was a third party booking.

So you would not be able to use the loyalty program and skip the counter with Thrifty. Good to know. I learned the hard way in February that with Hertz, you have to sign up for their program BEFORE you make your reservation in order to skip the counter....you can't go back and add your membership afterwards.

Southwest card question - I just signed up for a personal and a business card with Southwest. I will have way over 125k points to get Companion Status pretty early in 2022.

I was planning on my spend to hit the sign up bonuses just after Jan. 1. However, I did notice on a Southwest website, they seem to say that 2021 credit card spending will count toward 2022 Companion status. Am I misreading it? Did they make some adjustment because of Covid? I have enough spend that it would be more convenient for me if I could go ahead and hit the spend numbers now.

Southwest card question - I just signed up for a personal and a business card with Southwest. I will have way over 125k points to get Companion Status pretty early in 2022.

I was planning on my spend to hit the sign up bonuses just after Jan. 1. However, I did notice on a Southwest website, they seem to say that 2021 credit card spending will count toward 2022 Companion status. Am I misreading it? Did they make some adjustment because of Covid? I have enough spend that it would be more convenient for me if I could go ahead and hit the spend numbers now.
Spending on the SW cards after the December statement closing date counts toward 2022.

My teen sons are AUs on my DH’s two CFFs. Chase didn’t ask for their SSNs when I/he added them, so I want to add their SSNs to the accounts to make sure they get “credit” for these cards on their credit history. Any idea if I can do this by SM, or if DH will have to call?

The spending in 2021 will count towards 2021. Hitting the bonus is January 2022 in the important factor! You don’t want to meet the MSR before your December statement close!!!

I am no expert when it comes to credit cards and all the deals and steals to be had with them. We usually use credit cards in a simple manner. We throw any monthly bills we can on them. Use them for daily purchases and then pay them off in order to earn points/rewards. Our two main cards that we use right now are the Disney Rewards Visa and the United Explorer Mileage Plus card. We use the United Explorer card for all of the bills and use the Disney Rewards card for our daily purchases. That way we are earning rewards on both cards. But I am starting to think that it may be better to just use the United card for everything. With the Disney card, it feels like a lot of activity goes through the card for little return. I am sure this has been compared before, but hard to go through this monster thread.

Would anyone have any suggestions on maybe a better card to use that we can take advantage of rewards that we can use for our Disney vacations? Having been able to use the points earned from the United card to book airline tickets to WDW has been really nice!

Good news. Bad news.

The good news is that we can meet our MSR organically. Bad news is this is because my medical and other bills are higher than I estimated. I am dreaming about new card applications but I am thinking of just forgoing that option and just earn regular UR points on one of the Sapphire cards we opened in the last few months (and are completing the MSR on).

I was looking at the Chase biz cards, but the MSR is so much steeper. I would have to wait until 2022 to apply (when I have other larger bills coming in). However, we are planning to snow bird in FL and work remotely for the next 5-6 months. My mail is getting forwarded by USPS. The mail does take a long time to get to us. Wondering if we can we have a different mailing address for the NEW credit card? Thinking ahead in order to keep my options open...

I am no expert when it comes to credit cards and all the deals and steals to be had with them. We usually use credit cards in a simple manner. We throw any monthly bills we can on them. Use them for daily purchases and then pay them off in order to earn points/rewards. Our two main cards that we use right now are the Disney Rewards Visa and the United Explorer Mileage Plus card. We use the United Explorer card for all of the bills and use the Disney Rewards card for our daily purchases. That way we are earning rewards on both cards. But I am starting to think that it may be better to just use the United card for everything. With the Disney card, it feels like a lot of activity goes through the card for little return. I am sure this has been compared before, but hard to go through this monster thread.

Would anyone have any suggestions on maybe a better card to use that we can take advantage of rewards that we can use for our Disney vacations? Having been able to use the points earned from the United card to book airline tickets to WDW has been really nice!
Welcome to the thread! I hope you've read the first page of the thread for background info, and understand the acronyms used here.

If I'm understanding you right, you are looking for a card that you can put pretty much all of your spend on and earn better rewards than the Disney card. The good news is, it's pretty easy to use any card and get better rewards than the Disney card. Given that you also hold a United Explorer Mileage Plus card, you seem ok with paying a $95 annual fee, so I'd suggest the CSP for you. Unfortunately, you just missed the all-time high SUB for that card, although there are reports that the 100,000 UR points SUB is available in some Chase bank branches...but you'll have to do the legwork (literally!) to see if that offer exists in-branch in your area. Otherwise, the SUB just decreased to 60,000 points as a public online offer. The requirement is $4K MSR within 90 days of opening. 100,000 URs are worth $1,250; 60,000 URs are worth $750 when travel is booked through the Chase travel portal. And each 1000 UR are worth $10.00 as a statement credit. Please note that Disney is not available through the Chase travel portal.

With the CSP you can transfer URs to United, so you can still utilize United miles for tickets; the CSP earns as well as the United card does for United flights. I would downgrade the Explorer card to a $0 annual fee United Gateway card, unless you're planning on paying for United tickets with the United Explorer card to get the baggage benefits.

A good portion of the thread-members sign up for the cc bonuses and continually switch to new cards for our spending $$s to earn the most back for each $1 spend. Admittedly, that is more work than just getting one card for all spend. The "gold standard" for a one-card-for-all-spend is the Citi Double Cash. It earns 2% cash back on every purchase, and $0 annual fee (but does charge a foreign transaction fee, so don't use it internationally). However, it does not have any good SUBs so it doesn't get much love here.

If Southwest flies from your home airport, the SW credit cards are at an all-time high SUB right now, and it's possible to earn a companion pass with just one card. There are very specific rules to getting the companion pass, so be sure to ask questions before you proceed down that path.

I was in a Chase bank last Thursday (10/21/21) and the SUB of 100K and the annual fee ($95) waiver was still available in branch for the CSP. I asked about it and the bank rep said that he did not hear that it was getting pulled yet. He said that they usually hear (a few days) in advance so they can get those applications in for their clients.

2021 credit card spending will count towards 2022 companion status - BUT, it means you’ll have the companion pass for the remainder of 2021 and all of 2022.
At this time of year it is much better to have all of the spend hit your account in early 2022. That way you can have the CP for most of 2022 and all of 2023. Nothing spent in 2021 (unless it’s after your December statement has closed) will count towards a 2022/2023 CP.

The spending in 2021 will count towards 2021. Hitting the bonus is January 2022 in the important factor! You don’t want to meet the MSR before your December statement close!!!

The website is definitely confusing. This is what is says: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Points earned through spending using the Rapid Rewards Credit Card will count toward Companion Pass qualification based on when they are posted to your Rapid Rewards account and NOT based on spending date. The points post to your Rapid Rewards account after your statement closing date.
Credit card points posted to your Rapid Rewards account in 2021, including bonus points, will count toward qualifying for a 2022 Companion Pass.

I have been considering this card however I'm a bit worried about all the issues Southwest has been having lately. Any thoughts?

The website is definitely confusing. This is what is says: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Points earned through spending using the Rapid Rewards Credit Card will count toward Companion Pass qualification based on when they are posted to your Rapid Rewards account and NOT based on spending date. The points post to your Rapid Rewards account after your statement closing date.
Credit card points posted to your Rapid Rewards account in 2021, including bonus points, will count toward qualifying for a 2022 Companion Pass.

I have been considering this card however I'm a bit worried about all the issues Southwest has been having lately. Any thoughts?
That wording is because you actually earn the CP for the following year, the bonus is getting to use it the year you complete the requirements. That’s why unless you are taking many flights in Nov and/Dec, it is better to complete the CP requirements the following year so you get the majority of that year and all of the following year. But if you said you had 15 flights in Nov and Dec of this year, especially if they are pricey flights, our advice might be different and will would tell you to hurry up and meet the MSR and get those points for CP.

Last edited:

If 125k RR points post to your account in 2021 (all the way until Dec 31) your companion pass will be good for the remainder of 2021 and all of 2022. Most people this late in the year prefer to wait and strategically plan to have their points post early on in 2022 that way the CP is good for almost all of 2022 and 2023. Essentially giving them 2 years to use the CP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter