I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay 2 more WWYD?

1- I'm supposed to be going to Playa Del Carmen on Tuesday w/ the BF. The trip is likely 95% a bust since his dad has to have heart surgery. Everything looked good after his 1st appts to push ahead. He has another set of appts on Monday. I was going to wait to cancel the hotel on Monday (which is w/in the window). He just got his March schedule, and it looks like we might be able to squeak out a trip March 6-9th. Right now my FNC are tied up w/ the reservation for next week. The hotel has availability for the March dates right now. I'm torn on cancelling now to make sure I get the March dates. If something happens Monday where the surgery is pushed, we will plan on going Tuesday. WWYD? Give up next week to make sure you get the March dates? Wait till Monday and then reschedule? Ahhhhh! I should add, March requires me to take off from school, and who knows what state his dad will be in after. So it's not a sure thing, or a better option to warrant cancelling next week (hope that makes sense).

2- Since likely PDC isn't happening, the BF told me I should still try and get away somewhere next week. I can fly direct into MIA, FLL, RSW, TPA and MCO. The weather looks good in all of those locations. But the issue is finding a good place to go that either has Marriott 50k free nights, or isn't $$$$$$$. I mean the Hampton Inn at Clearwater Beach w/ my friend's Hilton discount is $850/nt!!! Where would you suggest looking? I'd likely do 2-3 nights and I'm flexible on flying down anytime after Monday (damn hockey). I'll be using my non-rev bennies (for the first time) so flights aren't the issue. I need sunshine! I was hoping to snag the Sheraton in Clearwater (did that for a feb break before), but it's sold out. If I do beach, I'd like a hotel on the beach. If I do just warm and sunshine, I want a nice/awesome pool area.

I don't have any advice for you. We had a WDW with other folks fall thru for the same time period and we were trying to find a place warm to go to with just us (I have a promo companion pass expiring 2/28). EVERYWHERE in FL was super expensive (or sold out). We moved our trip to early March and it's still kind of the same way. Almost impossible to find places that aren't outrageously expensive. At this point we have a room reserved at WDW and are just hoping for warm weather.

Good luck!

Okay 2 more WWYD?

1- I'm supposed to be going to Playa Del Carmen on Tuesday w/ the BF. The trip is likely 95% a bust since his dad has to have heart surgery. Everything looked good after his 1st appts to push ahead. He has another set of appts on Monday. I was going to wait to cancel the hotel on Monday (which is w/in the window). He just got his March schedule, and it looks like we might be able to squeak out a trip March 6-9th. Right now my FNC are tied up w/ the reservation for next week. The hotel has availability for the March dates right now. I'm torn on cancelling now to make sure I get the March dates. If something happens Monday where the surgery is pushed, we will plan on going Tuesday. WWYD? Give up next week to make sure you get the March dates? Wait till Monday and then reschedule? Ahhhhh! I should add, March requires me to take off from school, and who knows what state his dad will be in after. So it's not a sure thing, or a better option to warrant cancelling next week (hope that makes sense).

2- Since likely PDC isn't happening, the BF told me I should still try and get away somewhere next week. I can fly direct into MIA, FLL, RSW, TPA and MCO. The weather looks good in all of those locations. But the issue is finding a good place to go that either has Marriott 50k free nights, or isn't $$$$$$$. I mean the Hampton Inn at Clearwater Beach w/ my friend's Hilton discount is $850/nt!!! Where would you suggest looking? I'd likely do 2-3 nights and I'm flexible on flying down anytime after Monday (damn hockey). I'll be using my non-rev bennies (for the first time) so flights aren't the issue. I need sunshine! I was hoping to snag the Sheraton in Clearwater (did that for a feb break before), but it's sold out. If I do beach, I'd like a hotel on the beach. If I do just warm and sunshine, I want a nice/awesome pool area.

I know you mentioned Marriott, but I just booked the Hyatt Regency Coral Gable for 2 nights using a FNC and 12,000 points. We are staying there pre-cruise, but it looks super nice and is running $649/night for our nights, so I was surprised I could get it using points. The other expensive Hyatts were not available using points so I was happy to get this one.

I don't have any advice for you. We had a WDW with other folks fall thru for the same time period and we were trying to find a place warm to go to with just us (I have a promo companion pass expiring 2/28). EVERYWHERE in FL was super expensive (or sold out). We moved our trip to early March and it's still kind of the same way. Almost impossible to find places that aren't outrageously expensive. At this point we have a room reserved at WDW and are just hoping for warm weather.

Good luck!

Even worse is trying to get airfare for Spring Break. I feel terrible as I want to take my kids somewhere but even Spirit is like $700/pp to FL that week! I figured for next week I have the easy part already taken care of (airfare).....I didn't expect hotels to be the hard part. And I don't think college Spring Break really begins until the week after.

I know you mentioned Marriott, but I just booked the Hyatt Regency Coral Gable for 2 nights using a FNC and 12,000 points. We are staying there pre-cruise, but it looks super nice and is running $649/night for our nights, so I was surprised I could get it using points. The other expensive Hyatts were not available using points so I was happy to get this one.

I have no Hyatt points and not looking to use URs, LOL. I have these 5 FNC from Marriott I need to find a use for.

Good luck!
I feel like everywhere is expensive. I have points/miles/credit expiring and Im tempted
to let some expire because of how expensive some places are and I hate having to "force" a vacation
location.

Last edited:
Okay 2 more WWYD?

We are staying at the double tree in Reddington beach in may. It was more affordable than the hampton inn and just down the road

I love, love SW and am super grateful for the CP, but if I could ask for one change it would be this: I hate having to cancel the companion in order to change the flight. I have 2 CP, so had to cancel both companions, rebook the primaries, then rebook the companions, only to realize there are only 2 seats available, not the 4 I need. So then because flights are so darn full and expensive, I then had to change back to the original flights and then rebook both companions.

Next time I'll pay more attention. I thought the "2 left" meant at that price- I guess in this case it was "2 left total" which maybe I should have picked up on because it's an anytime fare. I really want the other flight so I'm going to have to stalk it and then have the joy of repeating this whole process.

Just chatted with Amex and received a big fat nada retention offer. I put quite a bit of spend on the card, but apparently not enough (or it could be the frequency as most of the spend is in April for taxes). The agent was really nice but didn't really try to sell me on the card at all, which was interesting. Anyway, I have a couple more weeks to decide. I'm tempted to use the Dell credit and some of the airline credit, but I worry about clawbacks if I do close the card in a week or two. Any recent experience with that?

Even worse is trying to get airfare for Spring Break. I feel terrible as I want to take my kids somewhere but even Spirit is like $700/pp to FL that week! I figured for next week I have the easy part already taken care of (airfare).....I didn't expect hotels to be the hard part. And I don't think college Spring Break really begins until the week after.

Schools in the NE have the entirety of President's Week off. When I had school aged kids, it was the one week I knew was guaranteed off. Airfare was always $$$ and DVC reservations had to be booked 11 months in advance for that week. Many times the Indy 500 was that week. I think the Princess Runs were at the weekend at the end of that week. It can also overlap Mardi Gras some years for that perfect expensive storm.

ETA: Nevermind -The Indy 500 is usually around Memorial day which was another time of year we would try to go to WDW.

Last edited:
I would like to know this also. I have the offer on 2 and my husband has it on 2. It says 1 per guest.
Is that one per card? Household? Any Datapoints?

I've used it everytime it pops up on one of my (or my husband's) cards. Never any issues getting the credit. Be sure to take a look at the max credit, though, it's often only $5, so you'll only get 10% off a $50 GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter