I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this for our trip this year. All grocery on BCP. Anything thru Instacart counted as grocery (including Costco) so got 6% on that. Used the BCP to buy DGC at grocery store, earning 6% then using the cashback to "erase" those charges. It only works as statement credit though.
Sorry if this is a dumb question (new here), but what is BCP (didn't see it in the acronyms on the first page)? I'd love to find a way to have a bit of savings when paying my annual DVC dues. Best option I have right now seems to be BoA Preferred and that's under 3%.

Sorry if this is a dumb question (new here), but what is BCP (didn't see it in the acronyms on the first page)? I'd love to find a way to have a bit of savings when paying my annual DVC dues. Best option I have right now seems to be BoA Preferred and that's under 3%.
American Express Blue Cash Preferred. 6% back on grocery purchases of up to $6000 a year with a $95 annual fee. When I pulled up the Amex website to check the details they were offering $400 cash back on $3000 spend over 6 months from opening the card.

I swear it's so out of hand and yes, I'm old fashioned. When I was in Europe, there was a lot of cigarette smoke in Spain and Italy (not in GB) but I never smelled pot. My office in Richmond has 8 aparments above it and it constantly stinks. And I went to pick up my IPad at the Apple Store Friday and a mother and daughter came up and stunk. My son looked at me and I just don't know how we got here. It's just disgusting.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
Yeah, I looked online to make sure FL had not legalized it before voicing my concern.

We have had many times at the Grand Cypress and this was definitely a first. We are in a lovely bi-level one bedroom suite now rather a standard pool view room so they did make it better. And the manager called to make sure everything good. We now have a girls and boys bathroom according to my niece. I am waiting to see if they comp anything but if not it’s all good. I just didn’t want any trouble for reporting our neighbors.

Yeah, I looked online to make sure FL had not legalized it before voicing my concern.

We have had many times at the Grand Cypress and this was definitely a first. We are in a lovely bi-level one bedroom suite now rather a standard pool view room so they did make it better. And the manager called to make sure everything good. We now have a girls and boys bathroom according to my niece. I am waiting to see if they comp anything but if not it’s all good. I just didn’t want any trouble for reporting our neighbors.
yeah you can't even smoke afaik in any Hyatt hotel (even in Florida) I see it all the time on my bookings I looked it up and it says.
No smoking in the rooms, hotel, or balconies. I remember by the bar outside there was a smoking section but I cant remember where else. I agree I hope the staff didn't directly tell them congrats on your upgrade though enjoy your trip.

I book with Costco, pay with gift cards, and try to book as early as possible.

So prices don't tend to get discounted closer to sail date? I was thinking we have some flexibility and could book somewhat last minute.

Yep. I've booked my last three with Costco after booking my first three with Dreams. I know for Alaska (2 staterooms) I got about $800 on about $9000 in cruise fares. And for the Mediterranean, I think my cruise fare was $3300 or so and I got $280. I've booked and canceled a ton of cruises with Costco (mostly due to Covid) and they are consistently at or around 8%.

Which Alaska itinerary did you go on and would you recommend? It's one of the destinations I'm looking at.

ETA another question: are there incentives/discounts to book another cruise while sailing onboard? I think you mentioned it in another post. Is the incentive worth it to book a first cruise that's shorter (say 3 nights) to get the incentive for the longer 2nd cruise (say 7 nights Alaska)?

Last edited:
So prices don't tend to get discounted closer to sail date? I was thinking we have some flexibility and could book somewhat last minute.

Which Alaska itinerary did you go on and would you recommend? It's one of the destinations I'm looking at.

ETA another question: are there incentives/discounts to book another cruise while sailing onboard? I think you mentioned it in another post. Is the incentive worth it to book a first cruise that's shorter (say 3 nights) to get the incentive for the longer 2nd cruise (say 7 nights Alaska)?
Yes, sometimes there are discounted rates depending on how full the ship is. We did the first Mediterranean cruise this season and the ship was at 40% capacity. So I could have rebooked a verandah for what I paid for oceanview. If you go on DCL's website, you can get a feel for the discounted cruises.

We did the standard Alaska itinerary out of Vancouver (Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau and Endicott Arm). It was amazing--drove the Klondike Highway, flew in a floatplane, went whale watching.

Yes, if you go on a short cruise, you can book a placeholder for $250 and then you can use that placeholder to get 10% off your next sailing within two years (there are blackout dates). Also, you can't apply the discount if it is a discounted sailing (I couldn't move from Ocean View to Verandah on the Mediterranean because I'd used an OBB. I could have rebooked but would have lost my OBB discount).

nice so how would you apply an fcc with Costco then? where are 90% sure we want to book one for next year.

the great thing about dreams is since there were so many cancelations I never had to do any movement etc or wait on hold I assume you cant change it online with Costco you have to call in? i don't think waiting for 4 hours is worth 100$ if this is the case. I also realize this is rare.
Do you mean an OBB or a FCC from a canceled cruise? I had both and they figured it out. But when I book a placeholder onboard, I always tell them to transfer it to Costco. Also, if you have an executive membership at the time of the cruise you get an additional 2% back on the cruise fare.

Not sure if anyone would know this answer. It’s probably a dumb question, but I don’t typically fly AA. Between DH and I we have the AAdvantage Platinum Select and the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select. I’m going to purchase tickets for our family on points, and I was wondering how we get to take advantage of priority boarding this way. Just nervous because we are getting the cheap seats in the back but want to make sure we have enough overhead space for our carry-ons, since we are solely carrying on for these flights.
If it makes a difference, we will have connections.

Do you mean an OBB or a FCC from a canceled cruise? I had both and they figured it out. But when I book a placeholder onboard, I always tell them to transfer it to Costco. Also, if you have an executive membership at the time of the cruise you get an additional 2% back on the cruise fare.
yes both thanks ill look into it.

Not sure if anyone would know this answer. It’s probably a dumb question, but I don’t typically fly AA. Between DH and I we have the AAdvantage Platinum Select and the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select. I’m going to purchase tickets for our family on points, and I was wondering how we get to take advantage of priority boarding this way. Just nervous because we are getting the cheap seats in the back but want to make sure we have enough overhead space for our carry-ons, since we are solely carrying on for these flights.
After you make the reservation, somewhere on either the confirmation or your boarding pass (I apologize I don’t remember where) it will acknowledge that your a card holder. You just have to make sure to enter your AA number when booking. I’ve booked multiple AA flights, and never use my AA card to pay the taxes and it still knows I’m a card holder. We’ve always gotten boarding group 5, which is the first “general” boarding group. I was also wondering how “it would know” but it does and you’ll also get your free checked bag if needed. At baggage check they have always acknowledged that I’m a card holder. It’s works perfectly, as long as your AA number is on the reservation.

ETA: with boarding group 5 there’s still plenty of overhead space. I’m always concerned about that too so I just try to get to the front of my boarding group, and it’s never been a problem whatsoever. You’ll be fine 😊

After you make the reservation, somewhere on either the confirmation or your boarding pass (I apologize I don’t remember where) it will acknowledge that your a card holder. You just have to make sure to enter your AA number when booking. I’ve booked multiple AA flights, and never use my AA card to pay the taxes and it still knows I’m a card holder. We’ve always gotten boarding group 5, which is the first “general” boarding group. I was also wondering how “it would know” but it does and you’ll also get your free checked bag if needed. At baggage check they have always acknowledged that I’m a card holder. It’s works perfectly, as long as your AA number is on the reservation.

ETA: with boarding group 5 there’s still plenty of overhead space. I’m always concerned about that too so I just try to get to the front of my boarding group, and it’s never been a problem whatsoever. You’ll be fine 😊
Yes, what @IFlossU said. Also you get a free bag with the CC for you and up to 4 companions. However you must all be on the same reservation. For instance, I just booked a flight for DH, DS and I. DH had enough points for DS, so they are on a reservation together. I am booked on a separate reservation, the AA card is in my name, only I will get a free checked bag.
As for boarding groups, AA has 9 so you get 5 which isn't great but isn't the end of the line either. I've never had issues with overhead space but our last trip was biz class so it's been a while.

Since we're discussing Citi AA cards, mine is coming up for the annual fee. I have 50k points left on my AA account. I really hardly use AA anymore. I'm thinking of canceling. Is there any reason I should keep it?

Since we're discussing Citi AA cards, mine is coming up for the annual fee. I have 50k points left on my AA account. I really hardly use AA anymore. I'm thinking of canceling. Is there any reason I should keep it?
The only reason to keep the card open is if you find value in the benefits, or think you’ll get $100 in value from say the checked bags benefit. Otherwise, I would cancel.

Hello, looking for some advice on the best ways to save for DCL (targeting 2024?). We are a family of 5 so it's quite expensive even for 3-4 nights. Is cashback card paired w/discounted DGC the best way to go? We've never been on a cruise (any line) so I'm not really sure on what to look for. How early would the booking window be? Looking at the DCL website, it looks like sailings are out to summer 2023, so maybe 1 year in advance? Any general advice would be appreciated!
I’m sailing my 20th DCL cruise in September and about 15 have been booked thru Costco. The Costco cash card equals 8% of the cruise price (excluding tax and port fees). I always have a $250 Disney gift card when I go to the port adventures desk on the ship to book a placeholder for a future cruise. This will give you a 10% discount off of your next cruise, plus $100 OBC if the cruise is 7 nights or longer. I purchase gift cards in either $250 or $500 amounts and add a few grocery items so it’s not an even amount at Kroger when they have their 4 times fuel points. If you maximize the full 35 gallons, you save $35 or 14% off a $250 gift card. I use my Amex CP for an additional 6% cash back (always codes as groceries for me) or my recently opened Amex gold at 4% to make the spend. I try to pay my entire cruise with with Disney gift cards. I book as soon as the window opens for best pricing. If a military rate is offered, I cancel and rebook with Costco. Often, DCL will offer special pricing (FLA rates, guarantee rates (they pick your room) so there are many ways to get an additional savings. With a family of 5, it is usually less expensive to get 2 porthole or inside connecting rooms rather than the pricey room that sleeps 5. If you have your heart set on a veranda and your kid are older, book a veranda and an inside room across the hall. And the additional 2% back from my Costco executive membership is a nice bonus! Hope this all makes sense. 😊

Yes, sometimes there are discounted rates depending on how full the ship is. We did the first Mediterranean cruise this season and the ship was at 40% capacity. So I could have rebooked a verandah for what I paid for oceanview. If you go on DCL's website, you can get a feel for the discounted cruises.

We did the standard Alaska itinerary out of Vancouver (Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau and Endicott Arm). It was amazing--drove the Klondike Highway, flew in a floatplane, went whale watching.

Yes, if you go on a short cruise, you can book a placeholder for $250 and then you can use that placeholder to get 10% off your next sailing within two years (there are blackout dates). Also, you can't apply the discount if it is a discounted sailing (I couldn't move from Ocean View to Verandah on the Mediterranean because I'd used an OBB. I could have rebooked but would have lost my OBB discount).

I’m sailing my 20th DCL cruise in September and about 15 have been booked thru Costco. The Costco cash card equals 8% of the cruise price (excluding tax and port fees). I always have a $250 Disney gift card when I go to the port adventures desk on the ship to book a placeholder for a future cruise. This will give you a 10% discount off of your next cruise, plus $100 OBC if the cruise is 7 nights or longer. I purchase gift cards in either $250 or $500 amounts and add a few grocery items so it’s not an even amount at Kroger when they have their 4 times fuel points. If you maximize the full 35 gallons, you save $35 or 14% off a $250 gift card. I use my Amex CP for an additional 6% cash back (always codes as groceries for me) or my recently opened Amex gold at 4% to make the spend. I try to pay my entire cruise with with Disney gift cards. I book as soon as the window opens for best pricing. If a military rate is offered, I cancel and rebook with Costco. Often, DCL will offer special pricing (FLA rates, guarantee rates (they pick your room) so there are many ways to get an additional savings. With a family of 5, it is usually less expensive to get 2 porthole or inside connecting rooms rather than the pricey room that sleeps 5. If you have your heart set on a veranda and your kid are older, book a veranda and an inside room across the hall. And the additional 2% back from my Costco executive membership is a nice bonus! Hope this all makes sense. 😊
Thank you for the details! This makes a lot of sense. Yes price is about the same for 2 inside rooms or a 5 person room, so I'm leaning towards the extra space and bathroom.

Sounds like pricing is best when the window opens, and DGC+Costco is the way to go. I'll go off and research the cruise forums now. :)

A few things have changed (at least on the Magic in May)--you now book the placeholder using the app and it has to be charged to a card on file (guest services can also put in a manual request but it still has to be charged to the card on file). My workaround was when I got home I called Costco who called Disney and they replaced the $250 credit card deposit with a $250 gift card payment. And there's no longer an OBC to my knowledge. Just 10% off. It used to be $200 for 7-nights which paid a nice chunk of tips but no more:(

Last edited:

Yes, what @IFlossU said. Also you get a free bag with the CC for you and up to 4 companions. However you must all be on the same reservation. For instance, I just booked a flight for DH, DS and I. DH had enough points for DS, so they are on a reservation together. I am booked on a separate reservation, the AA card is in my name, only I will get a free checked bag.
As for boarding groups, AA has 9 so you get 5 which isn't great but isn't the end of the line either. I've never had issues with overhead space but our last trip was biz class so it's been a while.
Thank you both for calming my nerves a bit :)

yep, thanks for the heads-up how do you get the 10% off and the placeholder through costco.com do I need to call in and it's applied?

So when you book a placeholder onboard you identify Costco as your travel agent. if you’ve used them for the current cruise the placeholder is automatically transferred. I’m not sure how it works if the current cruise isn’t booked with them though because they need to link the placeholder to your Costco account which dcl wouldn’t have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter