I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need spring break ideas. First week of March next year.

I pitched Costa Rica but DH doesn’t want to travel outside the US during his semester with the current state of air travel. Fine.

Ideally, I want warm, but not a beach trip. We’re not beach trip people. We could maybe do a day at the beach, but not a week. We need activities.

We just go back from WDW and will be in DL at the end of summer.

Maybe universal? But DD is only 43 inches so there’s not a ton for her there. Hawaii feels like a lot of travel for a Saturday- Saturday trip.

Any other brilliant ideas I’m missing? We have 2 southwest companion passes and a boatload of UR.

Edit- flying from PHL, but able to leave from Newark/NYC/BWI.

Last edited:
So I need spring break ideas. First week of March next year.

I pitched Costa Rica but DH doesn’t want to travel outside the US during his semester with the current state of air travel. Fine.

Ideally, I want warm, but not a beach trip. We’re not beach trip people. We could maybe do a day at the beach, but not a week. We need activities.

We just go back from WDW and will be in DL at the end of summer.

Maybe universal? But DD is only 43 inches so there’s not a ton for her there. Hawaii feels like a lot of travel for a Saturday- Saturday trip.

Any other brilliant ideas I’m missing? We have 2 southwest companion passes and a boatload of UR.

Where are you flying from? It makes a dif since from the west coast flying to HI isn't that dif than to the east coast.

What do you like to do. That's spring training so FL or PHX area for baseball and things to do. Otherwise you're looking at TX and Gulf states if you want shorts warm vs 60s warm. May get it other places but no guarantees imo.

Where are you flying from? It makes a dif since from the west coast flying to HI isn't that dif than to the east coast.

What do you like to do. That's spring training so FL or PHX area for baseball and things to do. Otherwise you're looking at TX and Gulf states if you want shorts warm vs 60s warm. May get it other places but no guarantees imo.

Flying from PHL but can also do Newark or one of the NYC airports.

Doesn’t have to be super summer warm, but March in PA is like gray and 40. 60s with sun would be better!

Doesn’t have to be super summer warm, but March in PA is like gray and 40. 60s with sun would be better!

March in SC is really nice! We do get some 80 degree days occasionally, but mostly its 60-70s and sunny. You could do Savannah and Charleston. They're close enough if you have a car. A lot to do besides beaches in both areas... visit some plantations, wineries, historic sightseeing and tours, shopping, riverboat cruises, nature preserves, and of course there are beaches.

Non-Disney Orlando trip? Legoland is supposed to be perfect for that age (I'm assuming 43" is 4-6 years old). Then again, with the new park opening just north of us, it might be better to do that as a drive in the later Spring/Summer.

Non-Disney Orlando trip? Legoland is supposed to be perfect for that age (I'm assuming 43" is 4-6 years old). Then again, with the new park opening just north of us, it might be better to do that as a drive in the later Spring/Summer.

She’s just turned 5. I also have the 10 year old brother who might be past the legoland phase. I think my parents might take them to NY legoland on grandparent camp week lol.

But yeah, non Disney Orlando is an option floating around. As is a Disney cruise.

I have a question about the amex platinum hotel credit. Dies it only apply to the Fine Hotels or anything in the Hotel collection?

I went to shake shack on June 29 and used my Amex Gold. The $10 credit posted July 2. So does that count for June’s $10 or July’s? I’m new to this benefit.

Those of you who travel with only carry-ons (no checked bags) teach me your tricks for travelling with liquids (shampoo and other necessary toiletries). I know the 3-1-1 rule. Just need some of your expert hacks!

I went to shake shack on June 29 and used my Amex Gold. The $10 credit posted July 2. So does that count for June’s $10 or July’s? I’m new to this benefit.

Did the Shake Shack charge post in June or July. I had that happen once and both the charge and credit posted in the new month, and it counted for the new month. I guess I'm not 100% sure if the charge posted in the old month and credit in the new month.

That's interesting. I though the $100 credit was once a year like the $200 credit. The fine print said to contact AMEX platinum services for details on what the $100 credit could be used for at specific hotels. I'll do that for the ones near me just so I know before I book.

It's definitely $100 per reservation (haven't tried making 2 consecutive reservations). There have been years when we had something like 5 FHR stays and got it each time. It's really great for those 1-night reservations if you can use it for food. We've had a couple FHR stays so far this year and it credited both times.

Those of you who travel with only carry-ons (no checked bags) teach me your tricks for travelling with liquids (shampoo and other necessary toiletries). I know the 3-1-1 rule. Just need some of your expert hacks!

Hmm. Liquids. First, think carefully about whether it's something you really need to take vs. something you just really want. If you need it, then take a travel size bottle (either buy a travel size one, repurpose an old one if you have it, or buy a goo-tube that you can reuse). Also consider non-liquid alternatives (face soap bar, sunscreen sticks, shampoo bars, etc.) if possible. You can cram a ton of little liquid bottles into one of those quart ziplocs if you pack carefully.

Also, Rx meds with a prescription don't *have* to fit into the little bag (although going through LHR with them is a pain - but I didn't have to throw them out!)

Hope this helps.

To be fair, you don't actually go to Costco to book a cruise.
And you can buy the DGCs anywhere.
Good point! I have a lot of experience buying/churning gift cards (oh for those sweet days of Ebay-->Target rinse/repeat) however, I never considered a Costco membership because I would not actually shop there. But the travel aspect might make it worthwhile, especially if I can get a membership cheap on Groupon or elsewhere.
Next year you will hear me singing the Hallelujah chorus--Target is finally coming to my small town! :dogdance:

It's June's credit but there's a chance you will have to call them and get them to credit your actual July credit.

Couple questions on recent topics:

1. Booking cruises with costco - can you book Carnival cruises in a similar way? Also, I believe you were talking about using Disney gift cards to pay them off - the Costco reps can apply them? I pay our Carnival cruises off with 10% off gift cards from AARP.

2. Using the FHR / Hotel collection credits - does anyone have any suggestions of places that don't cost a fortune above the $200 credit we're given? DH and I each have a card so I have two credits to use, but everywhere that I've searched, it would cost a lot above the price, so I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

Thanks!

. Booking cruises with costco - can you book Carnival cruises in a similar way? Also, I believe you were talking about using Disney gift cards to pay them off - the Costco reps can apply them? I pay our Carnival cruises off with 10% off gift cards from AARP

As long as the travel agency is paying Disney or carnival directly they should be able to use gc. It's the agencies that make you pay them and then they pay whomever that you wouldn't be able to. But also never use a TA that does that it's a potential disaster waiting to happen.

Check out Travel Tips by Laurie on YT. She's a pilot's wife who packs only carry-on, and she has tons of great suggestions. One of them is to pack your liquids horizontally in the bag. If it is a liquid you don't use much of like makeup remover, soak it in a cotton ball and put it in a baggie/container. She recommends a specific brand of liquids containers because they've never leaked on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter