I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help with LUV Vouchers. I have some vouchers from me and kids from bumped flight. Used some of them already - rest need to be used by end of year. DD goes back to school, DS does not have more vacation time and DH is busy season. So, going to take a Mom's trip with 3 friends. I know once you use a LUV voucher it is attached to that person.

Trying to figure out how to use them the best and not have to do 8 one way flights. Can I book say 2 people on one itinerary and then use a LUV voucher - or do I have to book each person separately? Want to use them the best I can too use up the vouchers and pay the least amount in cash.

Example: I have one voucher for $600 - even if I do a RT ticket, half of the voucher would remain. Hoping I can book 2- RT on the same ticket and be able to use this?
Years ago I was able to….hopefully it would work for you now

No reason to be scared, it's your script and it's perfectly normal. I've been getting mine for almost 20 years, whenever it became cheaper to get my contacts online than at the eye Dr. Costco optical also takes some insurance. Currently I use the eye dr that's in, but not affiliated, with Costco, so he automatically gives it to you. His office doesn't fill anything.

The one thing that most eye doctors will not give you on the prescription is the PD (pupil distance). However, there are numerous websites out there where you can download a millimeter ruler and measure the PD yourself.

My nephew told me his eye doctor flat out refused to tell him his PD and said the optometrist does that. I think the eye doctors know as soon as you ask for the PD that you are planning to buy online and most of them get annoyed at that since they know the online stores take away their business of selling you overpriced glasses.

Help with LUV Vouchers. I have some vouchers from me and kids from bumped flight. Used some of them already - rest need to be used by end of year. DD goes back to school, DS does not have more vacation time and DH is busy season. So, going to take a Mom's trip with 3 friends. I know once you use a LUV voucher it is attached to that person.

Trying to figure out how to use them the best and not have to do 8 one way flights. Can I book say 2 people on one itinerary and then use a LUV voucher - or do I have to book each person separately? Want to use them the best I can too use up the vouchers and pay the least amount in cash.

Example: I have one voucher for $600 - even if I do a RT ticket, half of the voucher would remain. Hoping I can book 2- RT on the same ticket and be able to use this?

Another option with luv vouchers that you won't be using is to sell them on ebay. (They are not tied to a specific account, even though the terms officially say they are nontransferable.) I had a $100 voucher from last year which I really didn't want to use because I have 130,000 Rapid rewards points and in case we needed to cancel or change flights, points are much easier as they get returned to you with no expiration date. So I sold the $100 Luv voucher on ebay and after ebay fees I netted $72.75. So figure on ebay you will take a 25 to 30% loss by selling.

Again, this is always an option if you have a luv voucher that you don't think you are going to use. If you go this route, it is always a good idea to sell the voucher a few months in advance of the expiration date, if you wait till last minute, you will probably get a lot less money.

The one thing that most eye doctors will not give you on the prescription is the PD (pupil distance). However, there are numerous websites out there where you can download a millimeter ruler and measure the PD yourself.

My nephew told me his eye doctor flat out refused to tell him his PD and said the optometrist does that. I think the eye doctors know as soon as you ask for the PD that you are planning to buy online and most of them get annoyed at that since they know the online stores take away their business of selling you overpriced glasses.
I get my eye exams done by an ophthalmologist. They have no problem giving me my prescription for glasses. In fact they don’t even sell glasses. Maybe you should look for an MD eye doctor as opposed to an optometrist. They go to a special optometry school to study the eye, they are not MDs.

I get my eye exams done by an ophthalmologist. They have no problem giving me my prescription for glasses. In fact they don’t even sell glasses. Maybe you should look for an MD eye doctor as opposed to an optometrist. They go to a special optometry school to study the eye, they are not MDs.
I also see an ophthalmologist and they give me the full prescription without me asking. They are providing medical care and could care less where you buy your glasses. Compared to the optometrist who told my BIL that my nephew needed prescription glasses. They bought the glasses there for $$$. I happened to see his "prescription" after he got them and it was .5. Yep, a reading glasses "prescription" that they sell at the dollar store. I am not saying every optometrist is shady (nor is every M.D. not shady), but medical doctors have a different legal standard of care.

I'm so confused on glasses--I finally need reading glasses but my boss is trying to tell me to get progressives. I hate having glasses on (the side of my head is super sensitive) so I figured I would only use readers when needed (this is what my parents do). I head back to the optometrist in September but I'm sure he'll try to sell me fancy glasses but I think my $40 Kate Spade readers will be fine:)

Last edited:
How did you get your prescrip. to get them? I'd love to get mine cheaper, but I'm kind of afraid to ask at the docs for that info
Don’t be afraid, you paid for the exam and prescription. It belongs to you. When I went to ER recently they refused to give me my X-rays. I was in too much pain to argue but in hindsight I’m really ticked. I had to have them redone a few days later at orthopedic dr office.
I'm so confused on glasses--I finally need reading glasses but my boss is trying to tell me to get progressives. I hate having glasses on (the side of my head is super sensitive) so I figured I would only use readers when needed (this is what my parents do). I head back to the optometrist in September but I'm sure he'll try to sell me fancy glasses but I think my $40 Kate Spade readers will be fine:)
They do sell multifocal contacts though I’ve heard not everyone tolerates them. I’ve been fortunate to need reading glasses only for very small stuff like tiny labels. And why does anyone make labels with white lettering on a yellow background??

If you wear contacts, just stick with the readers (even the $1.25 readers from dollar tree work :)). I got tired of taking the readers on and off and having multiple pairs so they were always where I needed them So I switched to bifocals.

I bought a specific clear zippered quart size bag from Amazon. It fits quite a lot.... I also bought a set of 3.5 oz. bottles. Each traveler has their own clear 'liquids' bag,and I put all makeup in smaller containers to make them portable. I haven't checked a bag in years, even a 10 day+ trip. Strangely,all airports seem to have their own liquids rules, some ask that it gets taken out at security,others don't care. I just have that little clear bag packed at top of my small wheeled case,and it comes out at security. Bag itself is small enough to fit in overhead. I also use (off brand) packing cubes, it's amazing how much will fit into those,in a small suitcase.
Which bottles and clear bag do you have? I have bought travel bottles in the past and didn't like them - usually because I could not get the liquids into them easily.
Thanks.

We don’t follow all the rule, I use a gallon size bag, the only part of the rule we stick to is the 3.4oz rule. We also have pre-check so never take anything out of our bags. And we have never been asked to take things out of our bags.

We also don’t wash our hair every day, maybe that helps?
The problem is pre check doesn’t work internationally. At LHR we had to pull everything out. I’m spoiled by pre check too, so the long lines and removing shoes and liquids sucked. I just have all liquids in quiet ziploc bags. There are 3 of us, so I divide up everything into 3 bags. Anything non liquid goes in a separate toiletries bag and non liquid makeup in another (but I don’t wear a lot of makeup). I’ve never run out of shampoo or body wash even in 10 days (I usually have a couple of the little bottles because I use hypoallergenic stuff). Stuff like sunscreen I buy in a container that’s already 3.5 oz or less.

I would stick with readers and get some that you like and have more than one pair. I wear contacts and wouldn't even consider getting the kind so I can also read. I have astigmatism I'm each eye so have contacts that need to be in just the right spot to not be blurry. Even if I could get ones to read with that I don't want to deal with it.

Try the glasses out before you buy multiple pair though as the first pair I got was too tight and I have a small head. I've tried the one's from the dollar tree and they work but always seemed like the lenses were foggy so I get them at target or somewhere. I can at least try them on. I have a couple pairs I'm ok with wearing in public and one I'm not but they are the most comfortable. I also think I might've accidentally gotten mens cause the arms are too long but they aren't tight.

Which bottles and clear bag do you have? I have bought travel bottles in the past and didn't like them - usually because I could not get the liquids into them easily.
Thanks.
The best overall tip for getting everything into the clear bag is to put the regular stuff you use into much smaller containers that hold just what you actually need for that trip. I use a Stasher reusable bag I found on clearance at Target earlier this year (it is the $20ish dollar one on their website). I think it is a little bit bigger than a quart bag but they've never said anything. However, I also have TSA Pre Check and do not have to take it out of the bag. I had that and a regular qt size bag with my OTC liquid "meds" (contact solution even) last time and they didn't ask to see either of them. I think they are pretty lenient with Pre Check. If you're traveling with kids, you can pack 1 additional bag per kid. Also, medications do not count. That includes OTC as well in my experience domestically. The website just says you have to declare that bag as liquid meds (again, didn't have to do that with Pre Check).

For bottles, the You Tube lady I mentioned previously recommends only the Human Gear brand GoToob. She is a pilot's wife who travels very frequently and always with carryon only. She says they've never leaked on her. They are more expensive though. I made the mistake of buying the bigger 3.4 oz ones and they are way too big for what any traveler needs and take up too much room in my liquids bag. I recommend the medium 2.5 oz ones for shampoo/conditioner. If you don't want to spend that much, get the cheap ones and use the plastic over the opening trick someone mentioned above. Just be beware that any of the silicone based ones have limitations on the types of liquids you can put in them. For example, I can't put my hair oil moisturizer in them. I think sunscreen is also a no go item. Something about how certain chemicals interact.

I'll post this then go back and read the 10+ pages......

Anyone know how to transfer avios from British Airways to Aer Lingus? The fees are cheaper through AL than BA. But someone told me on FB that you can't transfer if you haven't had both accounts over 6 mos. I just opened the AL acct last week, UGH.

Is this true? Can anyone help? I asked on FT too.

After blowing my wad of points on the Paris Park Hyatt last week, I second guessed that decision because the Hotel Madeline became available at 25K pts per night. I think I am going to stay with PH since I bought some of the pts for PH. I would rather spend my bought pts on something I could never afford otherwise.
having been to both park Hyatt is super posch to the point my wife said "why did you take your friend there I wanna go ". it's nice to live on the other side with points, this is what I strive for not that madeline is much smaller both great service.

Okay read the 10 pages.....LOL. In addition to trying to book this Ireland trip, I'm debating if I want to do the Delta Plat Biz offer that's out there. I cancelled my Delta Gold Biz this year knowing I want to do a Plat Biz offer when a good one came about. I'm wavering on paying the $250 basically for 100k miles and "free" checked bags when I travel (once for school/work (so they would probably pay) and once for my friend's wedding weekend, which likely only needs a carryon, but I'd like to check a bag for my bridesmaid dress. I know it comes w/ GE, but I already have GE, my BF has it, and I have enough cards for the kids to get it once I get their passports. So I guess I could use it on my mom. So I have to weigh if it's worth $250 for the 100k miles. I have no plans for them. But it is nice to know I can possibly use them when I'm stuck somewhere w/ the BF non-revving. Like this year I booked "back up" flights on Delta for Cancun.

I'm always surprised when I see how short the flights to Europe are from the East Coast. I think I'd be ok with economy to Europe if the flights weren't over 11 hours from here. At that point, it's just far too long to sit upright in a squishy seat.
Her dream has been to have upgraded seats for this trip, LOL. I have the points, so I'm okay doing it for her.

Does anyone here had a Gap Visa now Barclays MC?
I have a $300+ credit on my Barclay account, I can't figure out why.
I have the Barclay Visa now....no credit, I'm jealous, LOL.

To confirm, with this wording, you can hold a personal IHG and still get a bonus on the biz card?

If you currently have an IHG Rewards Credit Card from Chase, or you earned a new cardmember bonus on that credit card within the last 24 months, you are not eligible to receive another of the same credit card.
I have both personal and the Biz. I got both personal in 2021 before they changed the wording. Now it looks like I'll have to rotate getting the SUB on those and cancel after a year. I did manage to churn the Premier once prior to the rule change.

Chase Freedom Unlimited question - I've had this card for the past 16 months and have used it to my full availability. Is there a reason to keep this card? Should I product change or hold onto it? Currently holding only a Southwest Priority (that I only charge $2.99/month to) and CSP in the Chase family. Thank you in advance!

To note - I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Southwest card either...
CFU AF is free. I wouldn't cancel it. You don't need to cancel cards to play this game unless you are maxing credit limits or are looking to churn a card. I don't think many people churn the CFU so most people keep that one since it's 1.5x UR

Those of you who travel with only carry-ons (no checked bags) teach me your tricks for travelling with liquids (shampoo and other necessary toiletries). I know the 3-1-1 rule. Just need some of your expert hacks!
Travel w/ a pilot, LOL. Seriously I have him take any of my bigger liquids (like sunscreen) and wine, LOL. I have TSA precheck so I never had to take my items out (except in Cancun, still side eyeing them for that). I have a bag I normally keep travel size items in (at all times). I've been joining my BF on so many trips/traveling so much this summer, I basically keep my toiletry bag always stocked and ready to throw into my suitcase. I joke I'm prepping for like as a FA later, LOL.

I have bifocals now. My RX has always just been for reading/computer eye strain. As a teacher it was just easier to wear my glasses all day at school. Last year I commented to my eye dr that I can't read far anymore, LOL. She's like well we can either do 2 pairs of glasses, or bifocals. I opted for the bifocals. Also my eye dr is a family friend. I'm sure we pay a little more using her for our glasses and my daughter's contacts. But since she's a family friend she gets us in last minute, and has offered to replace my kid's glasses at cost when they break them, LOL. And I'm happy to support her.

The best overall tip for getting everything into the clear bag is to put the regular stuff you use into much smaller containers that hold just what you actually need for that trip. I use a Stasher reusable bag I found on clearance at Target earlier this year (it is the $20ish dollar one on their website). I think it is a little bit bigger than a quart bag but they've never said anything. However, I also have TSA Pre Check and do not have to take it out of the bag. I had that and a regular qt size bag with my OTC liquid "meds" (contact solution even) last time and they didn't ask to see either of them. I think they are pretty lenient with Pre Check. If you're traveling with kids, you can pack 1 additional bag per kid. Also, medications do not count. That includes OTC as well in my experience domestically. The website just says you have to declare that bag as liquid meds (again, didn't have to do that with Pre Check).

For bottles, the You Tube lady I mentioned previously recommends only the Human Gear brand GoToob. She is a pilot's wife who travels very frequently and always with carryon only. She says they've never leaked on her. They are more expensive though. I made the mistake of buying the bigger 3.4 oz ones and they are way too big for what any traveler needs and take up too much room in my liquids bag. I recommend the medium 2.5 oz ones for shampoo/conditioner. If you don't want to spend that much, get the cheap ones and use the plastic over the opening trick someone mentioned above. Just be beware that any of the silicone based ones have limitations on the types of liquids you can put in them. For example, I can't put my hair oil moisturizer in them. I think sunscreen is also a no go item. Something about how certain chemicals interact.
I'm kinda shocked a pilot wife doesn't just pass her bigger stuff to her husband. I make my BF take all my bigger liquids and wine, LOL. Most I know make their pilot carry the stuff and go through the KCM check vs TSA. I'm just proud I'm getting able to pack a carry-on only for trips with him. He loves to joke I'm the only person who would check a bag for 2 days. And I so would and have, LOL.

I'll post this then go back and read the 10+ pages......

Anyone know how to transfer avios from British Airways to Aer Lingus? The fees are cheaper through AL than BA. But someone told me on FB that you can't transfer if you haven't had both accounts over 6 mos. I just opened the AL acct last week, UGH.

Is this true? Can anyone help? I asked on FT too.
There was just a post yesterday on that topic that goes into detail at https://frequentmiler.com/how-to-transfer-avios-between-aer-lingus-ba-and-iberia/

It points out that you need an Iberia account for 90 days to do transfers into/out of that program, but I didn't see any mention of EI having that same requirement.

[Aer Lingus is EI, just fyi (who came up with that??).]

If you wear contacts, just stick with the readers (even the $1.25 readers from dollar tree work :)). I got tired of taking the readers on and off and having multiple pairs so they were always where I needed them So I switched to bifocals.
I don’t wear contacts. Only issue with my vision is small print so I only need something to help seeing things up close.

I’m going to give readers a try for a while. I just can’t see wearing glasses all day. I know there are also eyedrops now. Maybe they will eventually come down in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter