I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory of it is somewhat hazy, but until a couple years ago, if you changed a flight and then ended up canceling it then you couldn't get the one-way $5.60 taxes/fees refunded to your original method of payment. Rather, it was stuck as travel funds. Can anyone back me up on this? I think SW made some switch so that doesn't happen anymore...but I can't swear on that because I don't think I've done that particular sequence (or at least I haven't kept good enough track of it that way) since I'm mostly dealing with points. Points tickets cancelations always get the $5.60 refund to the original method of payment. Canceled cash fares now get travel funds with no expiry.

If you change a points ticket because it dropped in price, you get an instant refund of the points, and your confirmation code stays the same. Your change confirmation will also show that you paid $0 fees. This is actually a bit of concern for me since I'll use CSP for the taxes/fees on the original booking. So I can provide documentation that it was used with the original fare, and I can prove the confirmation code stayed the same...but if the flight# or times are different then I don't know if that's good enough if I need to file a claim. It's logical and reasonable to me, but I don't know if an insurance claims person would see it the same way. So I'll probably go with the tried and true straight up cancelation from now on. I do suspect, inferring from something a SW rep told me once, that the boarding number can get worse the closer in to the departure date you've made the booking. I've done many check-ins 24hr prior on the dot, and end up with mid B boarding numbers. The one time I paid for EBCI and got a mid B boarding number, I asked about why it was so far back and was told that one of the factors that went into the boarding number is when you paid for the fare and when you paid for EBCI - the farther out in advance you do that, the better the boarding number. I'm always checking back on SW fares and capturing price drops when I can, so I almost never book just once many months out and leave it be.
Thanks for this--I'm not too worried about the $5.60 in fees or ECBI (it's just me traveling so no issues about needing seats together) BUT I hadn't thought about the travel insurance aspect. I did pay part of the original ticket with CSR for just that reason. I ended up changing the flight and the fare was less, so now I have a bit in travel funds. And there was no way (that I saw) to pay part of the new fare with the CSR.

Just back from a 3 day Disneyland trip... am glad I was able to take my almost-16-year-old son but for myself, I don't plan to go back, sadly.

However, I had already purchased a $500 Target GC with the intent of buying Disney GC's. Now that I don't plan to go back, does anyone have recommendations on what, if any, other kinds of GC's to buy at Target?

And of course Amex has a Holland America deal now, since I am doing our first HAL cruise next month but have already paid it in full!!
This lady I know who loves HA and cruises with them several times a year always books a private, poolside cabana and a couple of dinners in the specialty restaurants.

Can you still actually buy other gift cards with the Target gift cards?

I have bought the target gift card in the past and used it for pet food, combining with sales,etc, but it's a long time since I've bought gift cards with the gift card.

****Thanks @afan - I didn't want to give wrong info but was thinking that it had been stopped about 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:
You can't buy gc with a target gc any more, since we'll before covid. So you'll need to use it on actual stuff at target.
Oh bummer... I knew it couldn't be done online but for some reason I thought it could still be done in store.

Thanks!

Thinking of venturing to IHG which many have spoke about
have amex surpass, have had amex hilton for over 20 years), reach diamond yearly just with spend

almost all marriott point used up and not sure I want to go there again

so pros and cons of IHG and if the current SUB are any good

thanks so much

sheree

@FreeDiningFanatic @afan and others who have booked or will book japan the guy found JAL first is that worth going to Ive had my heart on ANA it's probably cheaper for fuel charges too no? good second choice or should I wait for delta before I pursue paying 175.

Also, he can get ANA first out of LAX and San Fran vs NYC what would you all choose?

Last edited:
@FreeDiningFanatic @afan and others who have booked or will book japan the guy found JAL first is that worth going to Ive had my heart on ANA it's probably cheaper for fuel charges too no? good second choice or should I wait for delta before I pursue paying 175.

Also, he can get ANA first out of LAX and San Fran vs NYC what would you all choose?

What's he booking jal with? Yes ANA will have crazy fuel charges.

All depends on how long of a flight you want and where you will have to position from.

I can't answer any of that for you. You've got to decide how much you want to spend, whether it's miles or cash for flights, the fuel surcharge and positioning flights. I just want a lie flat so I can try and sleep, don't need 1st and don't need fancy. And I'm not going to pay more than I need to, which is why my miles will stay with VS and not get used on ANA.

All depends on how long of a flight you want and where you will have to position from.

I can't answer any of that for you. You've got to decide how much you want to spend, whether it's miles or cash for flights, the fuel surcharge and positioning flights. I just want a lie flat so I can try and sleep, don't need 1st and don't need fancy. And I'm not going to pay more than I need to, which is why my miles will stay with VS and not get used on ANA.
he said the only ana he has is business out of sfo or lax or first but not the room or the suite (which is what i was looking for) . Out of NYC (which i prefer before going to California he has jal business and first)
The room and the suite seem like unicorn availability. Honestly, I haven't thought about a trip this long in a while probably because of the shutdowns. I don't mind spending the 40k premium either but not if its not worth it i realize its subjective.

I don’t know if this has been covered here, but if you’re thinking of a condo stay through VRBO, book it instead through Expedia (same prices, owned by the same company) and go through a portal. We recently booked a condo in Telluride, and got almost $400 back on a $4,000 charge through TopCashBack.

Ditto for hotel stays through Expedia, of course.

Hello Churner Pros! I’ve followed this sub pretty religiously over the past 16+ months and have really appreciated the jump-start information I got when I was nervously dipping my toes in to CC rewards. Thank you for helping me earn so much free travel this last year!
I’m coming to you again for advice. We are looking for a new card for a large spend coming up at the end of the month ($5k). I believe it makes most sense for P2 to get this card, but have some hesitations because we just opened an Amex Gold for him this week (received today!).

Some information:
  • $5k spend coming up end of Oct (payment cannot be split so card would need to have $5k+ credit limit)
  • P1 has plans to earn SW Companion Pass in early 2023 so laying low for the next month or so to prepare for that (Plans: apply SW Biz early Nov, once Biz card secured, close personal SW card that I've held for 5+ years, wait 30 days?, App SW personal early Jan 23). Assuming this knocks P1 out of play for this upcoming spend?
  • P2 just opened Amex Gold this week with the intention of putting that $5k spend on it, but now I'm rethinking that because we will naturally hit that $4k MSR with just organic restaurant and grocery spend over the next 3-6 months so that seems like a better use for meeting that MSR.
  • I'd love to open another Chase INK (Unlimited?) card because I'm always thirsty for URs, but I'm not sure if the recent AMEX app messes this up and also not sure if P2's other Chase INKs from the past 13 months will impact an approval?
  • ALSO, I need a CL of $5k and all our INKs have had $3-4K initial CLs. I've never attempted to move CLs between my Chase cards and I don't know if it's possible to move a CL to a brand new card or how long this process takes so not sure if I'm unnecessarily worrying about this?

Additional Sticky info:

P1: 3/24
8/22 Chase Ink CIC (#2)
05/22 Chase Hyatt Biz
03/22 Chase Ink CIU
10/21 Chase Ink CIC (#1)
8/21 Amex Plat
4/21 Chase Sapphire P
3/21 Chase Hyatt

P2: 3/24
10/22 Amex Gold
5/22 Chase Ink CIC (#2)
1/22 Chase Ink CIU
9/21 Chase Freedom Flex
9/21 Chase Ink CIC (#1)
5/21 Chase Sapphire P

Other cards we hold, but not within 5/24:
P1:
Costco Citibank
Chase SW Premier
Delta Plat
BoA Alaska Air

P2:
Chase SW Premier

• Monthly CC spend: $3000-4000, with larger spends every couple months between prop tax, tuition, fed tax, etc
  • Payoff monthly
  • Fly out of SEA or west coast for positioning
  • Frequent flyer pref: SW, Delta, Alaska
  • Hotel pref: Hyatt (Globalist), with Marriott and Hilton distant second
  • Travel Points: SW 25k/15k, Hawaiian 70k, Delta 20k, Alaska 10k, Hyatt 50k?, Marriott and Hilton <5k, UR: 600k, MR 185k
  • Specific goals: more Hyatt points/more URs/MRs for travel flexibility (I do a lot of mini trips both locally and to AZ/west coast, but also am branching out and planning some more international trips and haven’t exactly figured out travel hacking internationally yet).
  • Currently trying to scrape together a June 2023 Europe trip for 4, but would also like to make another 2023 international trip with just P2
  • Priorities for P1: re-earn SW companion pass in early 2023 with SUBs, re-earn SW A-list status for 2024, re-earn Hyatt Globalist for 2024 with stays/cc spend (P1 does much more individual travel than P2)
  • Priorities for P2: new card that we can put our $5k prop tax spend on before end of Oct, don’t get in way of P1’s priorities 🤪

Do we just sit tight and not rock the boat right now- or is there something that could work for this particular spend? Thanks in advance for reading this lengthy post and for anything you can contribute!
I vote for a new CIC for P2 (and soon, before that Amex Gold hits P2's credit profile). It is very easy to move CLs via SM, even to newly opened cards, and it's quick, usually within 24 hours. Fastest would be via a phone call but I know some people hate phone calls. You have a nice stash of URs, and those could help a lot with getting to Europe. Look into booking Delta using Virgin Atlantic (a UR & MR airline partner) as an option since sometimes it costs less points using VS compared to DL points. Here's a good write up from the Frequent Miler blog https://frequentmiler.com/how-to-book-delta-flights-with-virgin-atlantic-miles/ It's kind of getting late for award redemptions for June 2023 but you might get lucky. As an example I did a search for SEA-AMS June 3 (random June date) and there were no available award tickets, but there are some that are 19,000 VS miles + $170 (on VS metal) on different June days. In July there are numerous days available for 30,000 VS miles + $6 (Delta metal).

Make sure P2's CLs are in order (~50% income, not over $65-70K combined personal and biz) before applying.

I hear you on not interfering with your own plans for a SW CP! I would not mess with that. I'm going for mine at the end of 2023 so I only have space for one personal card before then, and I'm not seeing any particularly enticing one. I keep hoping a higher CSP SUB comes along; I missed the 100K SUB by just a few days due to Chase messing up my PC. Meanwhile I'm busy trying to get P2's Globalist status renewed by end of this year.

ETA: URs have a 30% transfer bonus to VS going on right now, expires 11/12/22.

Last edited:

He's trying to tell me it's 240k now im just going wait. Seems way too much for me i was willing to pay 140k. I also think 2 one ways is crazy not going to do it.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question, but I am confused. With the SWA card CP, is it something that is ongoing year after year if you spend a certain amount or does it only work when you are a new card member and meet the requirements and it only applies for that year and the following year and then it's no longer an option unless you cancel the card and reapply and start over?
You start over every year you want to requalify. Easiest way is getting the signup offers of course. You can always do the same strategy with Player 2 and keep it going. Also getting the referral points count towards the CP :)

I’d like to get the CFF with the 5% grocery deal. I’ve got a CFF, but I got it from downgrading a CSP. Would I be eligible for the SUB on a CFF, since technically I’ve never had a CFF SUB? Or should I cancel my existing CFF first?

I’d like to get the CFF with the 5% grocery deal. I’ve got a CFF, but I got it from downgrading a CSP. Would I be eligible for the SUB on a CFF, since technically I’ve never had a CFF SUB? Or should I cancel my existing CFF first?
You are good to apply, Freedoms don’t have the one card family rule

Just means they need time. Typically with Barclays biz if they call but you don't answer you'll still get approved. Most ignore the call esp with a "biz". Can be a day or two or longer. You can answer if you feel comfortable with any questions they may ask.

Thanks for the info. Follow up question - at first the application website to check your status was working, but now it's saying they don't have a record of my application. Is this normal? Thank you!

How long does it usually take for 'support' links to catch up to the public offer? I see a new offer for Marriott Boundless of 100K points for $3K MSR. I would much prefer that over 3 free nights. But the support link I can generate for P2 still has the 3 free nights.

It is clean up and prep Sunday for me.

Reducing CLs to make way for new SW card application this month. Generating support links from P2's card. I am going for the CP for 2023/2024. I need to time so I can get support points posted and then close P2's card.

Also closing cards that I don't need any more. I know most love Hyatt but I just don't travel where they have a good footprint. I don't see using a FNC next year and due to canceling travel this year, I'll lose the one I did get. For me doesn't make sense.
P2 will get a new Marriott Chase card and then close the AMEX business card. That will still give me 3 FNCs a year and I can usually find a nice Marriott to use my FNCs on my travels.

It is clean up and prep Sunday for me.

Reducing CLs to make way for new SW card application this month. Generating support links from P2's card. I am going for the CP for 2023/2024. I need to time so I can get support points posted and then close P2's card.

Also closing cards that I don't need any more. I know most love Hyatt but I just don't travel where they have a good footprint. I don't see using a FNC next year and due to canceling travel this year, I'll lose the one I did get. For me doesn't make sense.
P2 will get a new Marriott Chase card and then close the AMEX business card. That will still give me 3 FNCs a year and I can usually find a nice Marriott to use my FNCs on my travels.
I struggled to use any FNCs this year, and last. I ended up giving a Hyatt one to my sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter