• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For once we are home this weekend and getting the final preparations in place for our Halcyon Galactic Starcruiser voyage. Hunting down costume ideas has been challenging but fun. Thank goodness for Amazon GCs at 5x UR points! Between paying for that and the Disney Wish Maiden Voyage, I have blown through my stash of discounted and 5x UR points earned Disney GCs. Happily though, I found Chase offers for 10% back at Office Depot up to $8 and $11 savings across 5 cards. I also had an Amex offer for Staples, $100 spend and $30 back. My Disney GC goals are always either to earn 5X UR points or get 10% off. Not a bad start to replenishing the stash!

Redoing my kitchen is my next big project--maybe once dd graduates (but I also need a new car once she graduates). Mine is a small U with not a lot of cabinets. I think I'll knock down the wall into the dining room and expand it since I have never once used my formal dining room. I'd love an island, room for a bigger fridge, more storage space, etc.
Moved in last August and want to renovate kitchen already. To do what I want will be a gut job. Can't open to any other room (plus I'd lose wall space for cabinets/counter and I need more not less) but there is a chimney flue I can get rid of as furnace is direct vent already. However that means roof repair/new roof as well as new kitchen so that will be awhile. In the meantime I'm replacing appliances one at a time. Thinking if using my cashback I had earmarked for Disneyland since there are no special dining experiences to pay for right now.

Kind of an odd question - but if anyone knows it's someone here. Do Disney restaurants charged to a CC come through as restaurant charges? I'm at the tail end of my Resy AmEx Platinum 15x Shop Small/Restaurant Bonus - wondering if that will work if I use the card directly at restaurants in the park/resorts/DS.
I also have the Resy AMEX Plat. Just curious - how do you keep track of how close you are to hitting the max? AMEX doesn’t make it very easy!

I have collected some free night certificates from Hilton. I am considering booking the Orlando Waldorf Astoria for one night on an upcoming trip. Does anyone have experience using free night certificates along with Hilton Diamond status? Do they still recognize the diamond status? Better or worse chances for upgrades when using a free night certificate?

Pros / Cons of pulling AUs off of cards? Any credit impact?

Hubby and I have ended up each with a Freedom Flex with the other as AU. And, when he PCs a CSP this month, we'll have a set of Freedom unlimited as well. All things being equal, I'd rather pull each of us off of the other's card. He can spend on his flex, I spend on mine, and we don't have to leave little stickers on our cards to remember which is which.

Is there a downside (short or long term) to removing AUs?
Not a big deal, as long as the AU cards aren’t your longest credit history should have minor if any impact on your credit score.

I have collected some free night certificates from Hilton. I am considering booking the Orlando Waldorf Astoria for one night on an upcoming trip. Does anyone have experience using free night certificates along with Hilton Diamond status? Do they still recognize the diamond status? Better or worse chances for upgrades when using a free night certificate?
Yes, status is recognized whether you pay for with $s, points or FNCs. Upgrades are based on availability. We got a nice upgrade at the WA but that was during COVID.

thanks for the input...... so those SWA are more valuable than the UR's to you? Or can I count them a 1:1 comparison for this example

Well, they're only 1:1 if you were going to transfer URs to SW.

The way I look at it - 95k SW gets me approx $1,200 - $1,300 in flights. Throw in the CP and that value goes way up. 38k URs gets me $570 worth of travel through the Chase Portal. Of course you might be able to transfer those URs to an airline or hotel to get an outsize redemption, but those opportunities are becoming increasingly rare.

Therefore, assuming SW recovers from their current difficulties and begins adding back routes that you would wish to use - then the SW points should be more valuable over time - but if you really think you are done with SW then you have a different outlook and may want to burn the points.

Just confirming- if I want to use Amex MRs for flight redemption on Delta, do I transfer them to Delta and then purchase the flights? Or do I go through the Amex travel portal? Also, I assume if I transfer these to Delta and cancel my Delta flights, then those MR are now Delta miles, correct? I can cancel and get the miles back I hope as I do with SW. We're trying to work on flights to Hawaii and find the best way to utilize these MRs that we've accumulated.

Just confirming- if I want to use Amex MRs for flight redemption on Delta, do I transfer them to Delta and then purchase the flights? Or do I go through the Amex travel portal? Also, I assume if I transfer these to Delta and cancel my Delta flights, then those MR are now Delta miles, correct? I can cancel and get the miles back I hope as I do with SW. We're trying to work on flights to Hawaii and find the best way to utilize these MRs that we've accumulated.
I would do whatever cost the least amount of MRs. Check the portal to see total MRs to book. Then check Delta to see how many MRs you would need to transfer to Delta. I would book the one that uses the least MRs.

Not sure if Delta handles cancelations when booked with Delta miles.

if there's a standard point rate available you can use the FNC. My diamond status doesn't seem to matter
i think upgrades are up to the hotel itself, not sure if they know using a FNC

I also have the Resy AMEX Plat. Just curious - how do you keep track of how close you are to hitting the max? AMEX doesn’t make it very easy!

AmEx really doesn't make it easy. I've been keeping a spreadsheet of every transaction on the card, whether it should/shouldn't count towards the 15x, and when the bonus points posted. So far only one transaction that I think should have received points hasn't and I'm going to follow up with AmEx since it was a large purchase ($1,600). I'm not going to manage to max it out - but I should be close - somewhere in the $21-$23K spend in the bonus categories - I should have hit it harder earlier, but even so it was a heck of a sign up bonus.

also keep in mind on the taxes u pay when transferring from amex MR to delta.

Hello DIS churners! I can't believe I haven’t posted on the DIS in over 2 years.

View attachment 662919

Has anything changed at WDW or with churning?!

JK, jk! Looking forward to reconnecting with some old friends and making some new ones along the way! :wave2:

tenor.gif

Hey y'all! Quick Question!

I had an office depot offer on my Chase Ink for 10% back. I purchased a Disney GC yesterday and it hasn't indicated that it was redeemed or credited. Does it normally take this long?

Not being impatient just used to AMEX offers immediately emailing once you've redeemed an offer.

I had an office depot offer on my Chase Ink for 10% back. I purchased a Disney GC yesterday and it hasn't indicated that it was redeemed or credited. Does it normally take this long?

Not being impatient just used to AMEX offers immediately emailing once you've redeemed an offer.
Chase takes a while to indicate it's redeemed then to post the credit.

Just checked my last several. Credit posted 5 days after transaction. Then, I usually get an email a couple days after that saying I redeemed an offer. Which, no duh, you already issued the credit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter