I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I didn’t realize theirs was status related. I missed that part

Status is the only way you are getting free upgrades on an airline. No credit card gives you anything for status unless you spend for it. The cc only serves as a tiebreaker in some cases to get you higher on the upgrade list.

With the exception of SW cause they may have something but I don't pay attention since I don't fly them 🙂

I have the same problem - no standard nights. How do you set up alerts?

Can you see what companies are available for Bill Payer without opening a PayPal account?
I used OpenHotelAlert, MaxMyPoint, and StayWithPoints to set up alerts. I've never used them before, so we'll see. One of them was showing availability when there wasn't any.

Anybody know when the Chase Marriott 5 nights offer expires? I got an email for the offer and the link seems to be working but I’m not sure for how much longer.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give any advice for an airfare purchase for next summer.
One of my kids will be graduating and I would like to send her and my mother n law to Europe for a
cruise. Only thing is it departs from Barcelona and comes back to Rome. How do people do this? Isn't
one way tickets real expensive? I have MR points and Chase points and 1300 Cap1credit. Am willing to open
another card if needed as i have opened 2 cards last 5 years. Flying from So Calif. Is flying to Heathrow or NY
first then Barcelona smart or no? Any tips appreciated. thank you.

This is the final grad Europe trip and thank goodness as we are going broke .lol Thank you
We did a Barcelona > Rome cruise this summer. Flew into CDG on AF, took a train to BCN after a week in Paris, and then flew BA from FUM>LHR>home. AF had better "prices" getting us to Europe, but never lowered the insane 300k+ points they wanted to get us home, so we went with BA. There aren't a lot of direct flights to/from Italy and Spain to CA which makes it harder. Points prices for next summer seem quite a bit higher than 2023, but I assumed it was the Olympics and booked something similar again. Definitely shop around for each direction - we most often end up on different carriers each way unless I can get AF RT. Inter-Europe flights aren't usually expensive at all, so I focus on just getting there to start with. I hope this helps.

Anybody know when the Chase Marriott 5 nights offer expires? I got an email for the offer and the link seems to be working but I’m not sure for how much longer.
I don't know but I am interested also. Was this a public offer or targeted?

That's a sweet offer and being actually targeted gives you some extra assurance you're fine with Chase so if it appeals to you I wouldn't sit on it no matter what the exp is. If you're worried about meeting MSR 90 days from today is 12/23/23 so holiday spending is on the table...

If you're like me and let your door dash credits accumulate to 15 you may also be like me and need to use them by the end of the week.

Wish I'd realized this last Monday as I'd have used at least one of them before today. Ordered uber eats for dinner, lazy and have uber gc I won't need for rides any time soon so why not. Leaves me with DD to pu Saturday and figuring out when/where to use grub hub one night this week. Times like this when I wish we had shake shack close. Not a fav but I'd be happy with a gc in a pinch some months.

If you're like me and let your door dash credits accumulate to 15 you may also be like me and need to use them by the end of the week.

Wish I'd realized this last Monday as I'd have used at least one of them before today. Ordered uber eats for dinner, lazy and have uber gc I won't need for rides any time soon so why not. Leaves me with DD to pu Saturday and figuring out when/where to use grub hub one night this week. Times like this when I wish we had shake shack close. Not a fav but I'd be happy with a gc in a pinch some months.
I need to use Uber Eats and another Instacart this week. I'll probably instacart my son some groceries since he doesn't have a car or a meal plan. He has a Chipotle near his apartment so I may let him pick do pick up with my Uber Eats credit or I'll get myself Thai. I think I used DD in August so I can let it build until November.

That's a sweet offer and being actually targeted gives you some extra assurance you're fine with Chase so if it appeals to you I wouldn't sit on it no matter what the exp is. If you're worried about meeting MSR 90 days from today is 12/23/23 so holiday spending is on the table...
Not worried about MSR, worried about those biz cards I get every 3 months. Last one was 7/17.

ETA: well I was worried for nothing. Instant approval!

Last edited:
I used OpenHotelAlert, MaxMyPoint, and StayWithPoints to set up alerts. I've never used them before, so we'll see. One of them was showing availability when there wasn't any.
I'd recently set up alerts with all three and here's my DP:
StaywithPoints alerted me first to availability, followed by MayMyPoint, maybe 10 mins later. Openhotelalert never alerted me.

I have been successful with openhotelalert in the past, but I guess I never had any comparables.

I assumed there was no way we'd be in the complimentary upgrade line, so if that happened, it'd be quite a surprise. (And the 5 of us would have to fight over who got the good seats, lol!)
AA upgrades are only for 2 people. I’m gold, DH and I were upgraded on our last trip (just the flight to/from home airport) but I had AA split our reservation so that he and I were on one reservation. The girls were in the first row of main cabin.

I am on the ferry from Stavanger to Bergen and have time (lol 5.5 hours) to write a recap of Copenhagen and Stavanger.

Loved loved loved Copenhagen — so much to see and do and a fabulous public transport network (metro and buses). Never had to use a taxi or Uber.

In Copenhagen I stayed at the Admiral Hotel (cash — stay 3, pay for 2 night special) and loved it. The location was excellent — 8 min walk from the metro station, 3 min walk to Nyhavn and right on one of the canals. My room was a bit warm, but I asked for, and received, a fan, which helped tremendously. Staff was friendly and super helpful; can’t comment on the food because breakfast wasn’t included in my rate so I walked to a Joe & the Juice (which I love) and had granola and oatmeal every morning. The last morning I had to be at the airport for 6am and the hotel packed me a nice breakfast, which I ate on the metro, for no charge.

In Stavanger I stayed at the Thon Hotel Stavanger. It was clean and very comfortable. The design was colorful; the staff were friendly and extremely helpful. Breakfast is included with all rooms and it was amazing. The price was super low and I’d definitely stay at another Thon property (they are throughout Scandinavia). I would recommend them if you are looking for a well-located property that is clean; it is not luxury, so if that’s your vibe, then perhaps the Hotel Victoria. I don’t think there could be a bad location in Stavanger — it’s a small city and very walkable.

My main reason for visiting Stavanger was to hike; I scheduled Kjerag, but the weather looked bad for my scheduled day (and it was — it rained on the hike for 3 hours), so I switched to Preikestolen aka Pulpits Rock. I booked a guided hike with Explore Lysefjord and I highly recommend them. There were 5 of us on the hike and I was the oldest by 25 years. We did the ‘hidden trails’ hike, which involves canoeing across a lake, then hiking up via boulders and steep inclines. It really is hidden — we didn’t see anyone on the ascent. It was hard and I would not recommend it for anyone that isn’t in good shape and comfortable mountain hiking. We trekked through bogs and scrambled up boulders with tiny footholds (no ropes). If I had known how difficult it was I am not sure that I would have gone. But the views going up were spectacular and totally worth it. We took the normal route down, which was super easy. This hike goes over 100 feet higher than Pulpits Rock and the views were phenomenal. For those not familiar with Pulpits Rock, Tom Cruise dangles off the side in MI6.

Pics below.

Baroque gardens behind Fredicksborg
IMG_1781.jpeg

Torvehalln (food market — YUM!)
IMG_1737.jpeg
Christiansborg in the background
IMG_2155.jpeg

Nyhavn at night
IMG_2290.jpeg

Cuteness overload!
IMG_1828.jpeg

Top of Church of our Saviour (look closely to see the lie to get a pic from the top); head there early to avoid lines at the top and on the steep stairs
IMG_2141.jpeg

View from the tippy top of Church of our Saviour
IMG_2119.jpeg

Last edited:
Comment on the hike; I was worried about doing a difficult hike (Kjerag) in the rain (read above: I switched to the following day when the forecast was much better). It turns out that it did rain (3 hours), which would not have been fun for me. The guide had quite a day — on her way down with her group (she had 3 guests) they came across an injured hiker (he was wearing shorts and running shoes). He had injured his ankle, couldn’t move and was freeazing. She and her visitors had to help him to an emergency shelter (in Norway they have shelters on the hikes with fireplaces and there is supposed to be wood, but wasn’t in this shelter on Saturday). That took them 3 hours because he needed full support to walk. They left Stavanger at 5am and didn’t return until 8:30pm. I am so glad that I followed my gut and changed days!

Also, if hikes are planned in Norway, please wear proper footwear because the wet rocks can be slippery. I had my hiking shoes with me, but rented boots from our guide and am super glad that I did because we walked through bogs that were over 2.5” deep.

When cruise ships are in port supposedly the Pulpits Rock hike can be like a salmon run. Apparently there are days when they can have 3 ships in port (approx. 12k people). I’d use a guide for the hidden trails hike if at all possible (you need a guide to get across the lake in a canoe — you only take them 1 way because you come down a different way — the company they rent the canoes from picks up the canoes and takes them back across the lake). Also it would be very, very easy to get lost on the hike because the trail is barely marked.

AA upgrades are only for 2 people. I’m gold, DH and I were upgraded on our last trip (just the flight to/from home airport) but I had AA split our reservation so that he and I were on one reservation. The girls were in the first row of main cabin.

Yeah, I know it's only two, which is probably more of a hassle for our crew than anything else. I don't think it'll even become a thing for us since we won't have the status by the time the system goes to issue upgrades. Good to know about splitting the reservation, though.

So it works for seats but not bags? Just wanna make sure since we have a card that includes bags but we want to close the card
It's all about when the status is checked. For seats, status is checked at time of purchase and anytime there is a change made until 24 hours. For bags, status is checked when bags are checked in. CC holder is a type of status so the parallel holds, holding an airline CC is like having a low tier status.

Have fun!! Churn and Burn they say 😜

ETA- @CyndiLouWho has good luck, I’m not saying everyone should hit Chase like crazy or anything. Unique circumstances happen sometimes.
Well usually I am pretty cautious. The chase biz cards are usually more than 3 months apart since I alternate my apps with DH’s. 2 months between apps is a first for me and not something I will make a habit of.

Question. I am heading to Disney tomorrow (with the worst weather forecast I have ever had, outside of a hurricane) and when I get back it will be 31 days since P2 CIP app. If we still haven't heard anything, can he apply for a CIU or CIC at that time?

If there’s still reward availability when you get the FNC, then it’s no problem. I’ve booked on points and cancelled so many times, sometimes just to save 1,000 points, lol. I always see the points or certificate show back up immediately in my account. Unfortunately there’s no way to change from a points to FNC booking… you have to completely cancel and rebook through your free night.
Ok Thank You. I was looking at the points for this year (as next years wasn't available until today). This year the same date was 25,000 Points but 2024 is 66,000 points. Do these fluctuate and possibly come down in points later?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter