I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thank you. I am not sure what you mean by "If the charge comes through same as paying your balance...."

I will be paying the balance through my TA, but when I paid the deposit it posted as Royal Caribbean. I already bought a meal package (that I may change) on my own (no TA) and that posted as Royal Caribbean too. Can I buy an OBC? I had one that came with my cruise "deal" and used it on the meal package. I do plan to prebuy an excursion or two and possible change the meal plan if a better deal comes along.
I used the RCL Amex offer earlier this year on my May Alaska cruise. The payments I made with my TA also posted as Royal Caribbean. Then, when I was within the timeframe (60 days I think?) I arranged excursions/dining/beverage packages etc. through my RCL account; all of those charges posted as Royal Caribbean and counted toward the Amex offer (I actually used 3 Amex offers total because I had one, P2 had one, and AU had one).

Last edited:
I posted a couple of days ago about being denied for Chase to expedite my new CIU. They suggested adding it to apple pay. I replied back that I couldn't see how to do that with a business card. They replied back stating that you can't do it with a biz card and that they would expedite. I just received it today! We leave on our cruise tomorrow, so perfect timing!

At some point will the Southwest support links be updated to the elevated offer? I assume supporting at the 50k offer and asking for a match won't work since the MSR is different.

We’ll be in Japan May 12-31 and they just announced the new Fantasy Springs expansion opens June 6 😭 I’m so bummed. Ds’s favorite movie is tangled and he would’ve absolutely loved this new area
Fingers crossed for soft opening.
I posted a couple of days ago about being denied for Chase to expedite my new CIU. They suggested adding it to apple pay. I replied back that I couldn't see how to do that with a business card. They replied back stating that you can't do it with a biz card and that they would expedite. I just received it today! We leave on our cruise tomorrow, so perfect timing!
Sometimes you just have to HUCA (or SM again).

The Hilton FNC tracker says I'm $33 away from the FNC, I was trying to wait until after Christmas to hit the spend, but I'm worried I might already hit it because my 2023 total spend is $15,084, but that includes the AF, does the AF count towards the FNC? I didn't mean to cut it so close.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
I vote for Plan B (X & CUI). We did that last month when we had a large bill to pay.

The Hilton FNC tracker says I'm $33 away from the FNC, I was trying to wait until after Christmas to hit the spend, but I'm worried I might already hit it because my 2023 total spend is $15,084, but that includes the AF, does the AF count towards the FNC? I didn't mean to cut it so close.
That's a good question. I didn't think about the FNC not counting. I think my DH is about $30 away from getting it, too. We were just waiting for December to finish it so we get a later expiration date on the FNC.

So it looks like I might be joining the "Planning for Japan" crowd . . . most likely would be for August 2024.

A few getting-started questions: How far behind am I in terms of planning? I think I have seen that 13 months is optimal (for flights maybe?)? Tokyo Disney would definitely be on the itinerary; are there any points currencies that can be used for the Disney hotels?

Disney Premier card received (by DD) and SUB met. Tickets from UT for my DGD's for 2024 Easter break. We bought 3 nights and may add hopper after we arrive depending on our first park day. Will be in Orlando for 8 nights total but, have lots of things to do! We will be at VGF for the first half so will be doing Magic Kingdom, probably more than once. Then we move to AKV CL, which will include a beach trip to the Gulf area.

A $400 statement credit on $1000 was 40% off the cost of the basic tickets. Still have to pay the $49 annual fee but will get a few Disney dollars and also the $100 referral. Correction 45.1% off!

Something like this is pretty much all my younger DD will app for. She hasn't been to Disney in quite some time, has her own tickets (remainder of a 10 day hopper from before no expiry was abolished that has been sitting in MDE with a reassign designation, which I don't get as 4 nights were used) and wants to spend park time with her nieces.

Older DD (the mother) is coming also. Yesterday she says, 'I still have to get a ticket'. I reminded her she also has a 5 or maybe 7 day hopper that hasn't been used yet. She said, 'oh'. I'll have to look at it today and see if I can buy her a 3 day ticket and use hers later as the extra days will get wasted as I think this is one that will expire once part is used, but I'm not quite sure. Very doubtful she will need a longer ticket soon as she is happy to hang at the pools - little interest in the parks.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with travel insurance on a school trip? My daughters school is doing a trip to Australia in June 2025 through Explorica. They offer travel insurance for $388 - the trip is around $6000. If I use my CSR to pay for some would she have coverage? Or could I buy insurance elsewhere? Theirs doesn’t seem great.

In other news my FICO score dropped from a high of 850.

I recently paid off a balance of a mortgage and fortunately I no longer have any kind of installment loan.

My new score is 849. Yes, dropped 1 point.

Reason was too recent credit card apps and no installment loans.
Gotta owe money to be credit worthy... makes sense 🙄 🤣

I swear my tracker is always WAY off. Like too low. I don't think the AF counts towards the spend. This is Amex afterall, LOL. My tracker takes forever to update. I think I still have $1500 to spend. But w/ my daughter's next semester of tuition coming up, I'll be able to hit that if I want.

So it looks like I might be joining the "Planning for Japan" crowd . . . most likely would be for August 2024.

A few getting-started questions: How far behind am I in terms of planning? I think I have seen that 13 months is optimal (for flights maybe?)? Tokyo Disney would definitely be on the itinerary; are there any points currencies that can be used for the Disney hotels?

For biz class seats, you need to stalk at calendar open (around 330-360 days in advance depending on the airline). But everything else you should be okay.

I know of no way to use points at Disney hotels owned by Disney, but you can use points at the Hilton or Sheraton Tokyo Bay. They're just across the road from the monorail and very convenient. The Hilton is a resort if you have any Aspire resort credits to use.

Anyone have experience with travel insurance on a school trip? My daughters school is doing a trip to Australia in June 2025 through Explorica. They offer travel insurance for $388 - the trip is around $6000. If I use my CSR to pay for some would she have coverage? Or could I buy insurance elsewhere? Theirs doesn’t seem great.
I would get insurance that covers not only travel delays, cancellations etc but also good medical. I always get insurance when out of the country or on cruised. Go to insure my trip dot com - and you can compare different plans. That is where I always go and have had a few claims (DS broke his wrist on a cruise and had to go to hospital in Mexico for a cast). You just never know what can happen.

For biz class seats, you need to stalk at calendar open (around 330-360 days in advance depending on the airline). But everything else you should be okay.

I know of no way to use points at Disney hotels owned by Disney, but you can use points at the Hilton or Sheraton Tokyo Bay. They're just across the road from the monorail and very convenient. The Hilton is a resort if you have any Aspire resort credits to use.
Thanks for this! I will definitely look at Hilton and Sheraton Tokyo Bay. I have a bunch of Hilton points but only the basic, no-fee Hilton card at the moment. I'd love to hear from anyone who has stayed at either--I am very much an on-site hotel person for WDW but the convenience/"Disney bubble"/price balancing might be different for Tokyo Disney.

Thanks for this! I will definitely look at Hilton and Sheraton Tokyo Bay. I have a bunch of Hilton points but only the basic, no-fee Hilton card at the moment. I'd love to hear from anyone who has stayed at either--I am very much an on-site hotel person for WDW but the convenience/"Disney bubble"/price balancing might be different for Tokyo Disney.

A bunch of people here have stayed at the Hilton. :) We stayed there this past trip. I have a review here.

We've stayed at the Sheraton before too, but it was 7 years ago before I got into the points game. They have coin laundry that the Hilton doesn't have. But I think you'd need Platinum status to have free breakfast there. The Hilton you just need Gold, which you can get with the Surpass, Hilton biz, or a plat.

Have also stayed at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and the MiraCosta. TDH is right outside TDL, MiraCosta is attached to DisneySea. We had a Venice view at the MiraCosta and it was cool seeing into the park when it's empty. They also have more expensive rooms where you can watch the lagoon show. I feel like the Hilton and Sheraton are good enough though and I don't need to spend the extra money for the Disney hotels. You do get 15 minutes early entry, but we're not early people and didn't even take advantage of that.

You may know this already, but August will be hot and humid. Likely crowded too since school is out and Fantasy Springs will be recently opened.

We're planning for Nov 2024. Since it's our first time we're going to spring for one of the Disney hotels, have to decide between the two wanderlust mentioned. Gotta have the Disney theme follow me to my room and to bed, lol.

It's Mickey math for me: flying on points, staying elsewhere in Japan on points, all mean I can reason spending more on a Disney hotel :crazy:

Add me to the Japan 2024 crowd as well! @Haley R, I think we will be there the same time as you guys. We will be there May 20-June 1. My nephew (HS senior) decided on a Pacific Theater WWII trip for his grad gift. We were planning Israel until a few weeks ago, so we had to pivot. I just booked our tix today from home airport to HNL and HNL to Tokyo. We are going to stop and do Pearl Harbor. I have only spent about $150 so far and that wa only because I wanted to put $113 on my CSP instead of using a credit so that I would have the protection. I still have a $150 United credit, so I am hoping United's prices for the return flight home will drop so that I can use that and my UR to book us home. Didn't get biz so far, but I did get United Premium Select to HNL. It was free (credits from my downgrade in May) and a day time flight, so I am fine not having biz. I will be slumming it in Delta Comfort+ to Tokyo, lol.

Add me to the Japan 2024 crowd as well! @Haley R, I think we will be there the same time as you guys. We will be there May 20-June 1. My nephew (HS senior) decided on a Pacific Theater WWII trip for his grad gift. We were planning Israel until a few weeks ago, so we had to pivot. I just booked our tix today from home airport to HNL and HNL to Tokyo. We are going to stop and do Pearl Harbor. I have only spent about $150 so far and that wa only because I wanted to put $113 on my CSP instead of using a credit so that I would have the protection. I still have a $150 United credit, so I am hoping United's prices for the return flight home will drop so that I can use that and my UR to book us home. Didn't get biz so far, but I did get United Premium Select to HNL. It was free (credits from my downgrade in May) and a day time flight, so I am fine not having biz. I will be slumming it in Delta Comfort+ to Tokyo, lol.
We’ll be there May 13-31.

just booked our tix today from home airport to HNL and HNL to Tokyo. We are going to stop and do Pearl Harbor

When I went almost 20 years ago I did a city tour that included pearl harbor and punchbowl cemetery. Pearl it just provided access and we toured as if we weren't on a bus tour. But at punchbowl they had a tour guide from the cemetery show us around and this was one of my favorite things. Not sure if they do them outside of this type of thing but I would look into it given his interests. The guides were veterans as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter