I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thanks. I can't remember from last year for BOA but my guess is coding will mostly be dining, depending on the vendor, rather than travel, despite the BOA rewards description including amusement parks and airports.

Is there some sort of benefit by linking my BOA dining rewards credit card to my MB at check in, then charging with my MB and then paying off the balance before check out with Disney gift cards? I just wonder if you collect my 5.25% reward rather than if I directly use Disney gift cards or if I'm over thinking that.
If you’re planning to use Disney gift cards to pay anything charged to your magic bands just make sure to do it the night before check out or every few nights so your cc isn’t charged.
Only benefit to linking your card is the ability to use your MB to pay instead of carrying your Disney gift cards in the park
if you are paying the balance off with the gc and it doesn’t go on your cc you don’t earn the 5.25%

Is there some sort of benefit by linking my BOA dining rewards credit card to my MB at check in, then charging with my MB and then paying off the balance before check out with Disney gift cards? I just wonder if you collect my 5.25% reward rather than if I directly use Disney gift cards or if I'm over thinking that.
If you're using MB, the charge will come through as the resort and not the restaurant. It only codes as dining if you pay with your card at the restaurant. The last time I went in 2019, I paid for any out of pocket meals with my AMEX Gold and everything else was on the MB linked to my CSP for the travel category bonus points.
Anything you pay off with the gift cards you won't get any points from as it will get deducted before the charge ever hits your card.

There was a shooting today at the university where I teach and work (UNC Chapel Hill) and a faculty member was killed. It was about two buildings away from the building that houses the institute I work for. We were sheltered in place for 3 hours before we could leave.

How often do Aeroplan transfer bonuses come about? We used to joke that we might move to Canada but DH and I are getting more serious now. I'm thinking we can take some weekends here and there to scout out places we might want to live in.
Omgosh how incredibly scary. Thank goodness that you are okay, but I would be so shaken up if I were in your shoes.

I haven't seen a transfer bonus from AmEx to AC in quite a while. United might be a good transfer option for you; AC is currently having issues with transfer partners (EVA, ANA, Etihad, Emirates, Lufthansa, Oman Air, to name just a few). No one knows what is causing the issues and when they will be fixed. I'm having to go with plan B & plan C for Bali next year when I book in a few weeks. A Cdn blogger that I used to follow, who has sold out to AC, for lack of a better term, that he hasn't even mentioned the issue, meanwhile OMAAT has written at least 1 article about it.

While I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert on places to live in Canada, I have traveled from coast to coast and may be able to offer some suggestions if you'd like. Unless you love traffic and have a very hefty budget I'd avoid Toronto. I love my city, but man the traffic keeps getting worse and worse and the housing prices just keep going up. Vancouver is gorgeous (but also extremely expensive) and I also love equally and for different reasons the Maritimes.

Dd's boyfriend is currently in Tuscany with his parents and younger sister, who is doing her first college semester there. They flew SFO --> FRA (Lufthansa cancelled their onward flight to Florence, so they got on a flight to Rome and took the train from there, total pain). Three of their bags got lost (they landed 3 days ago). Lufthansa found 2 of them and they flat-out refused to transport the bags to their AirBnB in Tuscany, so they had to drive to Rome and pick them up. Her boyfriend's bag is lost and Lufthansa has no clue where it is. So I guess just a reminder to use Air Tags or carry-on only. I am fully committed to taking carry-on only on my upcoming trip, esp after she told me this.
You might want to put a tag in the carry-on too--I realized this after I had to gate-check a bag a while ago. Fortunately, there was no issue getting it at baggage claim but after the experience in May of thinking my checked bag had been lost I was annoyed at myself for not putting the tag in the carry-on.

Question about Hilton honors points timing- I made purchase (3k+) and then paid in full a few days later on August 17,still no bonus points (new card) on my account- actual pay by date is 9/6,do I have to wait till after that date to see the bonus points?
There was a pretty consistent DP for awhile of 8 days post spend met to see the bonus. Which card did you do? Some of them were $4k min spend so just make sure you actually crossed that not counting any annual fee or returns!

Dd's boyfriend is currently in Tuscany with his parents and younger sister, who is doing her first college semester there. They flew SFO --> FRA (Lufthansa cancelled their onward flight to Florence, so they got on a flight to Rome and took the train from there, total pain). Three of their bags got lost (they landed 3 days ago). Lufthansa found 2 of them and they flat-out refused to transport the bags to their AirBnB in Tuscany, so they had to drive to Rome and pick them up. Her boyfriend's bag is lost and Lufthansa has no clue where it is. So I guess just a reminder to use Air Tags or carry-on only. I am fully committed to taking carry-on only on my upcoming trip, esp after she told me this.
I feel the same! Carry ons FTW. I had a friend once whose luggage was lost at the start of a 3 country, 10 day trip. She got it back on the last day in the third country.

Anyone use Treasury Direct (the government's website for bonds, treasuries, etc.) as a direct deposit to trigger the Chase checking bonus? DoC says you can and I thought I'd give it a try since I already have an account with money in it. When I go to link the new Chase checking account it says the account cannot be verified. Could it be because there isn't any money in the new checking account yet?

Changing my direct deposit through work is too much of a hassle, so I thought I'd try something else.

Anyone else trigger the bonus through something besides a direct deposit from employer or pension?

Thanks!
I can tell you what didn’t work - transfer money from PayPal, transfer dividends from Vanguard account. It was a pain but we switched a monthly annuity payment - I had to order paper checks for the Chase account and send a voided one to the stupid annuity company. While waiting for all that I listed a $50 Home Depot gift card for sale on Raise. I am not sure if the transfer from Raise or the eventual annuity deposit finally triggered the bonus.

No answer for you, but just wanted to say hi from another RDU flier! 😀
I checked on the expert flyer tool and it has been there looks like is a really low availability of 4 seats in business for most flights from my experience with air France they do waves when the route just opens (easiest to find IMO ) then 3 months out then last minute (this varies). Also if you do a direct route there tends to be more availability. For example my last trip I booked MIA-CDG vs MCO-MIA-CDG.

One time, I wasn't sure which offer I applied for, so I chatted with AmEx and told them that I had signed up for an offer and wondered how close I was to reaching it and how much longer I had to complete it. It was pretty quick and easy.
Perfect! I just did that and found out it's the 4k/150k offer! I would have been kicking myself if I was dumb enough to miss that by a few hundred!!!

I feel the same! Carry ons FTW. I had a friend once whose luggage was lost at the start of a 3 country, 10 day trip. She got it back on the last day in the third country.
so far flying only domestically I've carried on my suitcase with no issues, but I think it may be too large for certain budget carriers or international....was considering getting one of those backpacks that someone here linked a week or so back...... I love carryons and hate baggage check and claim stuff.

so far flying only domestically I've carried on my suitcase with no issues, but I think it may be too large for certain budget carriers or international....was considering getting one of those backpacks that someone here linked a week or so back...... I love carryons and hate baggage check and claim stuff.
I ordered a travel backpack from Amazon and it's amazing! Highly recommend to supplement your carry-on.

Thanks for all the discussion about the lost/stolen cell phone. I'll talk with DS when he gets up for class today. It's within the 48 hour timeframe and it does look like for Vegas you would file these type of reports over the phone, but I'm not sure yet which way we'll go. It looks like he can add an iphone 13 to our plan for $11 a month, so we may just go that way. I definitely don't want him fabricating to be able to put in a claim, so I'll just see exactly what the story is here shortly.

Thanks again!
Sorry to hear about the phone. My daughter had her phone stolen last year in Nashville. She left a message to make a police report and they called back within 30 minutes since they had several phones stolen that night from the same place. She had hers in a purse in an outside pocket and someone 'bumped' into her while taking it. It was lots of paperwork to submit, but they ended up sending a check for the replacement cost. Here is the link to my post
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...r-addl-details.3865061/page-492#post-64344568
Good luck!

We were on a (Lufthansa) Dreamliner from Frankfurt this summer...I called it the Nightmare flight. NO room to wiggle if the person in front puts their seat back. The lady next to me tried putting her seat back and the lady behind her put her legs up to block it! A flight attendant was summoned and the lady behind was told that the lady in front had every right to put her seat back and to deal with it. Not a pleasant flight! I would NOT recommend a Dreamliner if you're in economy.
I guess we were lucky - I will say, the flight was no where near full, so we didn't have any issues with people putting the seats down for feeling bad for putting ours down.

If you’re planning to use Disney gift cards to pay anything charged to your magic bands just make sure to do it the night before check out or every few nights so your cc isn’t charged.
Only benefit to linking your card is the ability to use your MB to pay instead of carrying your Disney gift cards in the park
if you are paying the balance off with the gc and it doesn’t go on your cc you don’t earn the 5.25%
Thank you. Makes sense that the charges to credit card wouldn't hit yet. I won't do this then and just use the gift card directly so I don't have to pay it off MB at counter. To me, it doesn't really take any longer... or I just don't see the pay with MB significantly more convenient. We did stack so that each adult has a single large giftcard rather than a bunch of $50s.

If you're using MB, the charge will come through as the resort and not the restaurant. It only codes as dining if you pay with your card at the restaurant. The last time I went in 2019, I paid for any out of pocket meals with my AMEX Gold and everything else was on the MB linked to my CSP for the travel category bonus points.
Anything you pay off with the gift cards you won't get any points from as it will get deducted before the charge ever hits your card.
Thanks, that's a good point on the MB use difference in rewards coding. Did you get 4% for all WDW restaurants for AMEX Gold, including the non cart quick service locations such as Cosmic or Pecos?

@havaneselover thinking of you and hoping that your parents are okay -- they are on the Gulf Coast of Florida I believe? Sounds like Idalia is going to be a pretty big storm.
I think they are far enough south they should be okay. They are maybe 4 miles east of the Gulf so storm surge usually isn’t an issue. Thankfully they just got something put on their lanai that protects the house from heavy winds. The next four weeks concern me. The water is so warm I’m just afraid we are going to see a lot of activity.

Thanks, that's a good point on the MB use difference in rewards coding. Did you get 4% for all WDW restaurants for AMEX Gold, including the non cart quick service locations such as Cosmic or Pecos?
I was on a dining plan that trip, I think there was only one or two quick service I used, but they did code as dining on the Gold.

Need some assistance. The annual fees just posted on 2 of my CCs:
- Barclays Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard (7-year cardholder)
- Chase United Business MileagePlus Card (10-year cardholder)

Have not used either card for the last couple of years. Have no plans to use the cards for the next year at least. Have been using Chase UR points to book flights to get the 50% boost with the CSR, or using Amex Platinum to book direct for the 5X earn and utilizing the $200 airline incidental credit.

Do either cards offer any worthwhile retention offers? Is there an easy worthwhile downgrade path to no annual fee cards? If cancelling the cards, I still keep the miles, right? Since the annual fees have already posted, will cancelling automatically removed the fees? How much impact will cancelling these cards have on credit score?

Thanks for any help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter