I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hello friends! I am planning to buy a direct contract for Disneyland Hotel (~$37k) and wanted to get this group's opinion on which would be the best card for the purchase. From what it sounds like (from reading some posts), perhaps the Chase Sapphire Reserve (x3 travel) would be a good bet? I plan to pay the purchase off right away, so ability to carry a balance isn't as important.

I prefer Amex points (have plat and everyday), but I like Chase too. I have the Chase Sapphire (no AF, plain from a product change in 2018) and a Freedom Card already. I read earlier on this thread that I couldn't have any Sapphire in order to get the current promotion on the reserve.
We purchase direct with the CSR. Unless you're pursuing another card's signup bonus, the CSR's 3x earn with the 50% boost on UR rewards travel, essentially making it a 4.5x earn, is probably one of the best options available. We also earn the same 3x on the annual dues. And we split the points purchase into smaller contracts to pass on to our kids (and making for an easier sale if we ever need to sell).

Best wishes on your DVC purchase!

I have not flown that long (other than as a flight attendant, so totally different), so no great advice. But if you can select seats for a fee with extra leg room, consider that. Also, maybe keep an eye on biz class seats and consider maybe 2 peeps one way and 2 peeps the other, if you can score that.

At one point when the kids were younger, we were using something like these blow up leg rests. They worked well for the kids. I am also short, so my dangling feet get super uncomfortable. You can inflate as much or as little as you like. You and your girls are tiny so I could see it maybe working for you, maybe even just 1? But it's an extra thing to carry, so you have to sorta weigh that.

View attachment 789254
How interesting! Never heard of those things. Thanks for sharing!

Hello friends! I am planning to buy a direct contract for Disneyland Hotel (~$37k) and wanted to get this group's opinion on which would be the best card for the purchase. From what it sounds like (from reading some posts), perhaps the Chase Sapphire Reserve (x3 travel) would be a good bet? I plan to pay the purchase off right away, so ability to carry a balance isn't as important.

I prefer Amex points (have plat and everyday), but I like Chase too. I have the Chase Sapphire (no AF, plain from a product change in 2018) and a Freedom Card already. I read earlier on this thread that I couldn't have any Sapphire in order to get the current promotion on the reserve.
If I were purchasing another DVC contract, I would refer P2 for a CIP and get 40K for the referral, the bonus for the card is 100K. I'd have P2 refer me for a CIP also and get another 40K and another 100K. The purchase will code as 3x. The two cards with referral bonus, sign up bonus and multiplier would net 391,000 UR points. DVC will take multiple payment methods. I'd ask for both cards to be expedited.

If you don't have an existing Chase business card, then subtract 40k for 1 referral bonus. If you are in P1 mode only then of course subtract the 2nd card bonus. In P1 mode, I'd switch to an app-o-rama and hit multiple SUBs across different banks. I like to time opening new cards with big purchases whenever possible so I can hit a SUB quickly and organically.

If you are not comfortable with business cards, then I would product change your no fee Sapphire to a Freedom Flex or Freedom Unlimited or simply close it. Then, I'd apply for a new Sapphire Reserve card since you're past 48 months on the bonus. It would only be a 60k bonus at 3x which is 171k, in 2 player mode it would be 241,000 UR points.

For those that are doing the "make 2 seperate purchases from Starbucks and get 1000 Skymiles" (Skymiles account must be linked to Starbucks account), I finished my 2 purchases yesterday and got email confirmation about my 1000 miles and an offer to buy 3 more purchases from Starbucks and get another 1000 skymiles.

Honestly I don't go to Starbucks all that often, but I had some $ in the app so it was easy to get the first 2 drinks. I have until 9/4 for the next 3. We'll see.

Miles are already posted in my Delta account.
Did you get the email the same day? I did my 2nd purchase and didn't get an email.

Not really related to CC, but I wanted to share my super duper cheap flight I just got from CAK to Charleston. Breeze flies there directly (1 hour 50 min flight) and if you go to the airport to buy tickets on Tuesdays, between 11-1 you don't have to pay the huge technology fee they add to tickets. Anyway, I got 2 r/t tickets for a grand total of $112! I will pay for one carry-on so that's another $35 each way, but still a great deal. The other thing with Breeze is there is no penalty for change or cancellations, you don't get your money back, but it's deposited as Breeze points. We had originally booked to go to Food & Wine, but then pivoted and decided on a long weekend in Charleston instead. To keep this slightly on track lol, we did use IHG points for our hotel, so a very budget trip indeed! More money for some of the amazing restaurants and I'm open to any suggestions from anyone who's recently been there.

Last edited:
Did you get the email the same day? I did my 2nd purchase and didn't get an email.
I believe I got the email 1 day after I bought my 2nd purchase. (Confirm that your offer was 2 purchases the first time around, I’ve read that some people’s offers were 3.)

Just checked, I got the email around 6pm the day after my 2nd purchase.

I have about $2K in expenses coming up and am wondering if it has been too soon to get a new card. (I didn't realize we had opened so many cards until I wrote them down, but we do have a kid in college ($$$))

I am 3/24

AMEX Delta Gold Business 07-11-2023
CIU 05-08-2023
Wyndham Earner Business 02-09-2023
AMEX Business Platinum 12-26-2022
AMEX Gold Card 08-15-2022
CIC 08-01-2022
AMEX Delta Reserve 03-26-2022
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless 09-11-2021

P2 is 4/24

AMEX Delta Gold Business 06-17-2023
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Business 03-01-2023
AMEX Gold Card10-27-2022
AMEX Plat 06-10-2022
Chase Southwest 03-10-2022
Citi Premier 11-10-2021

We both have a CSP but those were our first cards since 2018.

I have about $2K in expenses coming up and am wondering if it has been too soon to get a new card. (I didn't realize we had opened so many cards until I wrote them down, but we do have a kid in college ($$$))

I am 3/24

AMEX Delta Gold Business 07-11-2023
CIU 05-08-2023
Wyndham Earner Business 02-09-2023
AMEX Business Platinum 12-26-2022
AMEX Gold Card 08-15-2022
CIC 08-01-2022
AMEX Delta Reserve 03-26-2022
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless 09-11-2021

P2 is 4/24

AMEX Delta Gold Business 06-17-2023
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Business 03-01-2023
AMEX Gold Card10-27-2022
AMEX Plat 06-10-2022
Chase Southwest 03-10-2022
Citi Premier 11-10-2021

We both have a CSP but those were our first cards since 2018.
No it’s not too soon. I would recommend using your support link to get P2 an Ink card.

what do you all think of that SWA CP offer right now? waste of time? worth it?

Note on the CSR upgrade game:
I upgrade my CSP to CSR July 20, 2022, CSR AF posted 11/1/2022
Used Travel credit 7/22/2022, Reset 8/1/2023, Used travel credit 8/7/2023
Downgraded CSR to CF August 28, 2023(13 months after the upgrade)
On 8/29/2023 a credit of $91.68 posted to my CF backdated to 11/1/22 for Annual Fee Refund.
Travel Credit -$600 + $550AF -$91.68 = $141.68 profit?

I upgraded a different CF to CSR on 8/28/2023. Will update when AF post.
DH will call tomorrow to upgrade his CSP to CSR, I guess if it doesn't cost us money to hold a CSR might as well have 2.

P2 earned 5 Marriott FNCs last year with the SUB. He has booked the Swan Reserve for me and 2 grandkids starting Th night. They wouldn't let us add my name because they said he has to check in. So now I am starting to panic that they will not let me check in. There is an online check-in option. Should I just do that?
Try calling the hotel directly. Tell them to add your name on the reservation as you will be there first checking in. I have had my DS use my FNC a few times and that is what I did. He didn't have any issues.

Circling back to this route.

I've been playing around with various carriers/websites/alliances. Today I was able to find award seats on the AF flights, but via Virgin Atlantic website. I was looking at RDU to FCO (after seeing someone post a 'success story' on Reddit) and noticed they connected thru CDG.

EDIT! Just realized you had your travel date in your post, so I ran another search and it showed no Biz Class availability. They did show economy for only 12k points!

View attachment 788786
Finally have some headspace to catch up on this thread. That economy seat RDU - > CDG for 12K plus taxes is a steal! But I already have all these points tied up with Air France and they would be expiring next year otherwise. Also, we're pretty spoiled now, gotta have J seats to cross the Atlantic nowadays. So I'll keep my Flying Blue booking out of JFK. We'll fly to JFK the night before and see a Broadway show during the day before the international flight to make it more worth it.

But I'm going to keep looking at AF/Flying Blue as the date gets closer in case award fares open up. Also have some dates in May when we're going to Barcelona.

At least it's good to know that award bookings are possible via Virgin. It would be nice to skip the repositioning in at JFK/BOS in the future. Hopefully they'll show up on the Air France app at some point as well.

Others have given great advice. If you do indeed have a P2, this purchase can be pretty point lucrative if you maximize it by spacing out the payments. DVC lets you space out by about 3 months. We met the spend on two Biz plats and another card that way when we bought some time back. Just wanted to add that spacing out the payments might give you more breathing room to get enough cards to cover the entire purchase.

I have the Amex Everyday Preferred. I upgraded from the NF Amex Everyday Preferred last October because they were offered a 40,000 MR bonus. I want to downgrade to avoid the next AF. I know I should wait a year. Should I wait until the AF posts in October? Will they refund?

what do you all think of that SWA CP offer right now? waste of time? worth it?
I already had a roundtrip flight in late September for a weekend to go to Halloween Horror Nights. Had previously booked using up travel credits from Amex Plats. I just cancelled, got travel bank credits again, and used to to book the same flights. Oddly, I ended up saving $1.99. This was a good deal for me because we have a late January trip and wasn't sure if DH would have his SW CP by then, now don't need to worry about it and we can take our time earning it. Planning to do the SW Biz Performance 120K bonus on Sep 4 and timing thigs right, hopefully that works.

Note on the CSR upgrade game:
I upgrade my CSP to CSR July 20, 2022, CSR AF posted 11/1/2022
Used Travel credit 7/22/2022, Reset 8/1/2023, Used travel credit 8/7/2023
Downgraded CSR to CF August 28, 2023(13 months after the upgrade)
On 8/29/2023 a credit of $91.68 posted to my CF backdated to 11/1/22 for Annual Fee Refund.
Travel Credit -$600 + $550AF -$91.68 = $141.68 profit?

I upgraded a different CF to CSR on 8/28/2023. Will update when AF post.
DH will call tomorrow to upgrade his CSP to CSR, I guess if it doesn't cost us money to hold a CSR might as well have 2.
Great DP!

I have the Amex Everyday Preferred. I upgraded from the NF Amex Everyday Preferred last October because they were offered a 40,000 MR bonus. I want to downgrade to avoid the next AF. I know I should wait a year. Should I wait until the AF posts in October? Will they refund?
They will prorate if you downgrade from the EDP to the ED. They will refund if you cancel the card completely. If you downgrade prior to a year, you risk ending up in pop up jail.

I think Amex keeps the original anniversary date, so you won't be charged the AF in October unless your anniversary is also in October. The best way to tell when your next AF will be would be to look at when the full $95 AF was charged after you upgraded.

They will absolutely claw back the bonus if you downgrade before the year is up. So make sure you're not off even by a day! I let it go a couple months over just because I'm paranoid lol. I downgrade back to an ED and it's prorated, so doesn't matter much anyways. Then I wait for the next upgrade offer. Last time it was only 2 weeks later lol!

Last edited:
What @wanderlust7 said :laughing:

I was writing and got distracted and the words were taken right out of my mouth.

But for sure AmEx doesn't change your card anniversary with product changes. They just prorate AFs for mid year product changes. What I recall happened when we were offered a waived AF is they give you the full year for free and then prorated the next part of the year until your anniversary. (like Jan anniversary, upgrade Jun for waived AF, next Jan no fee, next Jun charged for the 6 months until next anniversary)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter