I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a CSR (1/18) and JB Plus (1/18). DH just got the CIP (2/18). Originally I was thinking I was going to go for the SW companion pass, but now I'm not sure that is what will work best for us. Now my thoughts are:

1. DH refers me to the CIP next month. Half of the MS for that will go to paying off our upcoming cruise, so that should get 3x UR points. Next year he PCs his to the CIC.
2. After we meet the MS for that, I want to apply for an AMEX business card. Not sure if I want to go the Hilton or SPG route. SPG seems like a better deal, but we have 3 Hilton stays coming up this year, and DH tends to stay in Hiltons for work (although he has to pay with company CC).
3. DH has a Chase Slate from a long time ago that he never uses - can he PC that to a Chase Freedom?
4. According to Cardmatch.com I'm targeted for the Platinum Amex 100k bonus - not sure about the huge AF though.

Thoughts?
1. If he's still under 5/24 at the time consider applying for the CIC to get more bonus UR
2. SPG may be the better deal on the surface but what is better for YOU? What are you looking to get out of the card- points for free nights? status? Sounds like status might of interest to you considering DH's use of hiltons and your 3 upcoming hilton stays this year.
4. Time to make a list! Never let a fee discourage you, it is just another part of the equation when analyzing a CC offer. List the benefits out of the Amex Plat including the sign up bonus and come up with an approximate value for yourself. This will take some time and it will take you some research to determine about what 100,000 MRs are worth to you. Compare your value to the AF. Now you can decide if the offer is worth it to you. When your year is up it will be time to run the math again to determine if the card is still worth keeping, if not cancel and move on.

This doesn’t work if we already have Chase accounts correct? Chase is our main bank. I did get a BOA mailer, $150 for opening a checking account.
Do you have both Chase accounts? Checking and savings? Hopefully you just have the checking account because Chase's 0.01% on their savings account cannot compete with 1.45% and no fees ever at Ally. If you only have a checking account you qualify for the savings bonus! If you only have a personal checking account you also qualify for a business checking account, but you will have to go in to a branch to open that account. Here's DoC's write up on that https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-business-total-checking-300-bonus-no-direct-deposit-required/ those accounts can be opened with a "business" just tell them you are a sole proprietorship and have an estimated revenue (can be very low) and be ready to talk a little about your "biz".

Since you mentioned a BoA mailer I take it you are considering opening an account just for the bonus? *squealing in delight* First, I'd browse DoC's list to make sure there's nothing you'd rather do https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/ then if there is compare the expiration date on your mailer to the bank offer on the list you want to hit and make your decision. If you can and are crazy like I am do BOTH! or ALL! ...ok I need to calm down now :) good luck with your decisions!

I just got a pin code $69 for all star resorts! 3 night for $235! I wonder if I can book through UR travel!!

Great deal! I doubt you can book it through UR since it’s not a sale for all but rather a targeted offer. But I wonder if you could book through Disney and then move the reservation to UR? Of course, depending on how much you have to put as a deposit, that may not be worth it.

Great deal! I doubt you can book it through UR since it’s not a sale for all but rather a targeted offer. But I wonder if you could book through Disney and then move the reservation to UR? Of course, depending on how much you have to put as a deposit, that may not be worth it.
Deposit is $78.

1. If he's still under 5/24 at the time consider applying for the CIC to get more bonus UR

And keep the CIP or cancel it altogether?

2. SPG may be the better deal on the surface but what is better for YOU? What are you looking to get out of the card- points for free nights? status? Sounds like status might of interest to you considering DH's use of hiltons and your 3 upcoming hilton stays this year.

Maybe DH should get the Hilton and I'll get the SPG!

4. Time to make a list! Never let a fee discourage you, it is just another part of the equation when analyzing a CC offer. List the benefits out of the Amex Plat including the sign up bonus and come up with an approximate value for yourself. This will take some time and it will take you some research to determine about what 100,000 MRs are worth to you. Compare your value to the AF. Now you can decide if the offer is worth it to you. When your year is up it will be time to run the math again to determine if the card is still worth keeping, if not cancel and move on.

Thanks for this advice - I will look into it further!

I have a small roof but I'm expecting about 10K in expense for it. I'm also busy looking into creative ways to minimize this expense.

When I looked at Lowe's, the architectural shingles weren't that much more - think it added maybe $200 to my cost. My rental is 1,250 sq feet inside - has a "normal" slanted roof with a bit of an overhang over some decking. I didn't do the shed (I basically forgot about it). We had some rotten wood replaced + had all old shingles removed.

Shingles price (included ridge vent type + starter shingles) = $1,185 (I was able to return some that they didn't use)
Labor = $3,300 (they provided roofing paper and other supplies)

Lowe's gives a 20% discount if you purchase over a certain amount. I basically picked the cheapest color that wasn't offensive - lol. I also used coupons from quik-coupons.com to get the price down. My Lowe's gift cards came from either Kroger during 4x promos or various places during Amex offers. You can use an unlimited number of gift cards when checking out on Lowes.com (thank goodness).

There are gutter companies that specialize in doing just gutters that can install them relatively inexpensively. Not sure how that compares with having the roofers do it. The last time I installed gutters, I used a handyman.

Fun stuff - ha ha. Good luck!

And keep the CIP or cancel it altogether?... Maybe DH should get the Hilton and I'll get the SPG!
Keep or cancel CIP will depend on if you want the benefits of 1.25x, trip insurance, cell phone insurance & transfering points to Chase partners. If you are keeping your CSR there is zero reason to keep the CIP imho. Well, maybe cell phone insurance I guess but that's it (for me I would never purchase cell phone insurance anyway so that benefit is worth $0 to me, but you may be different).

Get 'em both- love it!!

When I looked at Lowe's, the architectural shingles weren't that much more - think it added maybe $200 to my cost. My rental is 1,250 sq feet inside - has a "normal" slanted roof with a bit of an overhang over some decking. I didn't do the shed (I basically forgot about it). We had some rotten wood replaced + had all old shingles removed.

Shingles price (included ridge vent type + starter shingles) = $1,185 (I was able to return some that they didn't use)
Labor = $3,300 (they provided roofing paper and other supplies)

Lowe's gives a 20% discount if you purchase over a certain amount. I basically picked the cheapest color that wasn't offensive - lol. I also used coupons from quik-coupons.com to get the price down. My Lowe's gift cards came from either Kroger during 4x promos or various places during Amex offers. You can use an unlimited number of gift cards when checking out on Lowes.com (thank goodness).

There are gutter companies that specialize in doing just gutters that can install them relatively inexpensively. Not sure how that compares with having the roofers do it. The last time I installed gutters, I used a handyman.

Fun stuff - ha ha. Good luck!
I thought I was killing it with that lowe's coupon a year ago when I bought it on ebay for like $1.50 and then helped the parents save $20 on a $200 purchase- a whole roof's worth of shingles? NICE!

I just got a pin code $69 for all star resorts! 3 night for $235! I wonder if I can book through UR travel!!

I got the same offer. It would be great if I can use UR points. I am going to call tomorrow and find out. I’m not sure if I will even be able to take the time to go, but the deal is hard to pass up. It’s just me and my SO and the All Stars aren’t bad.

I thought I was killing it with that lowe's coupon a year ago when I bought it on ebay for like $1.50 and then helped the parents save $20 on a $200 purchase - a whole roof's worth of shingles? NICE!

I know how you feel!! I felt like I hit the jackpot when I found those Lowe's coupons on eBay. Quik-coupons is the company where I bought them previously, so now I just go directly to them. You can usually find 20% off coupons there on smaller dollar amounts and 10% off for larger purchases. I ended up doing two transactions at Lowes - 1 for the regular shingles using a 10% coupon and another for the starters + ridge vent shingles using a 20% coupon. Surprisingly, the rebate portal I used paid out on the purchase as well.

Also got the email offer to upgrade my Disney Rewards card to the Disney premier and get a $50 statement credit after my first purchase. It clearly states there is a $49 AF multiple times in the email and it says they will send you a letter explaining the change in AF and when it will apply. The fam member who recently PC'd their CSR got a letter explaining the new fee on their Freedom Unlimited (lol, yeah guess this is a gov't req) and it was to go into effect in like April I think for anyone wondering how long the AF might take to hit.

Just want people to be aware this is the same offer Disney has pushed before but the email makes it MUCH more appealing. Heck I was trying to decide for a minute the potentials of upgrading/downgrading before I realized it's the same pay $49 get $50 offer Chase Disney has pushed out for years that makes me go "how dumb do you think I am Chase?!" just dressed up in a fancier email...

Deposit is $78.

I got the offer too lol. I cannot go at that time so not even gonna bother but in your case, I'd check with UR to see if you can either book through them or through Disney and move the reservation to them to pay the remainder with points. What a deal that would be!

can you buy gas gift cards at a gas station with a credit card? IE: buying a marathon gift card at a marathon gas station with my chase freedom card? It has the 5% quarterly bonus at gas stations going on now.
Thanks, Lori

YMMV. They may or may not let u. I used to buy Tmobile gift cards there until one day, they said cash only.

The reactions to your post is what makes this thread great vs. Reddit. People over there just assume everybody can MS and if you don't want to MS then you're stupid. It's not my cup of tea, and honestly I'm not sure all of them truly understand their cost of MS vs. what they get out of it. I know many do but some people are probably just wasting money, haha.

I just like how we all respect everybody's different "flavors" of churning here :) Despite my extreme credit card "prowess" so to speak...the only MS I'll do is bank account funding and I've even been out of that game for almost a year now. Organic all the way for me :)

most of those who MS do take those lavish trips. One guy who i know MS 10k+ a day has a trip planned to Rome on first and all hotels paid. hes got close too a 4 million points across the 4 major programs and in steadily increases weekly. He knows his fees very well haha. They all do actually. they are far beyond us for sure.

Good explanation! I'd just want to clarify that Plastiq is not usually considered manufactured spending. Even though you're using the service to pay an expense or bill that wouldn't otherwise accept credit card payments, you're paying a legitimate expense. Where it gets into MS is if you're paying a trusted person (e.g., spouse, family member, friend) for a fictitious expense with the understanding that person will pay those funds back to you. Then there are more creative ways of MS with Plastiq that I won't get into because that's how good things die.

hehehehe, sorry! the way im doing it isnt known though so I get a break right? :D

I've never MS spent either. It felt like too much for me. Doing things that have the potential to make checkers /banks suspect would make me panic and look suspicious and crazy. I get enough points by being careful and putting my expenses on the right cards along with sign up bonuses.
I always feel like an outsider on churning forums because while so many are trying to get first class tickets to Tokyo and staying in outlandish hotels and I'm just trying to get 4 round trips on SW so we can get to Florida.

I have MSd before when it was easy. Amazon payments, CVS reloads on Vanilla Visas, Blue Bird and Red Bird. I will likely do so again but with a card bank that won’t bother me if I’m shut down. I’m thinking Wells Fargo and another Propel card.

I feel like an outsider in those forums too and I’m actually going for those first class international flights and froo froo hotels. The attitude among most on Flyer Talk and blog comments is not very welcoming. Some seem to go out of their way to make others feel stupid and excluded. Also, many of the people travel a lot for business and have seriously impressive knowledge on aircraft, routes, airline status etc. and simply expect those who don’t to have the same knowledge.

I think that is why I enjoy this thread so much. Even though most here are not going for the international first class flight, I have never been made to feel unwelcome.

So I'm finally alive again....LOL. I've been feeling better for a few days, but still a bit foggy and trying to get back in the swing of being back to work. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. The flu really knocked me on my butt for sure. Going to see the dr for a follow-up this afternoon, just to be sure I'm all in the clear with everything. I have noticed I've developed quite a bit of muscle soreness over the last 2 days, but that may be completely unrelated to the flu. Guess we'll see later today.

It appears DH will finally have to make a phone call to Chase. He's been really good with all things churning over the last several months, but has yet to have to call in himself. Up to this point, we've been able to accomplish pretty much everything via SM. It's time to PC his CSR so I'll be writing everything down for him to call in and get this done. We've decided we'll keep my CSR, but PC his. We don't really have a need for 2. I'm thinking he should PC to a regular Freedom, since neither of us have that card and I'd like to try to maximize the category spend. Here's to hoping the call goes smoothly and he doesn't mess this up.

I got the offer too lol. I cannot go at that time so not even gonna bother but in your case, I'd check with UR to see if you can either book through them or through Disney and move the reservation to them to pay the remainder with points. What a deal that would be!

I did it! I couldn't pass up the offer... the girls will miss a week of school - oh well.

When you book refundable hotels and car rentals on UR don't forget to check every once in awhile for a price drop. Just checked on a beach booking for early this summer we booked a month ago and the price dropped over 3,000 UR. Booked at new price, cancelled old hotel, points already refunded to my UR account!

I have MSd before when it was easy. Amazon payments, CVS reloads on Vanilla Visas, Blue Bird and Red Bird. I will likely do so again but with a card bank that won’t bother me if I’m shut down. I’m thinking Wells Fargo and another Propel card.

I feel like an outsider in those forums too and I’m actually going for those first class international flights and froo froo hotels. The attitude among most on Flyer Talk and blog comments is not very welcoming. Some seem to go out of their way to make others feel stupid and excluded. Also, many of the people travel a lot for business and have seriously impressive knowledge on aircraft, routes, airline status etc. and simply expect those who don’t to have the same knowledge.

I think that is why I enjoy this thread so much. Even though most here are not going for the international first class flight, I have never been made to feel unwelcome.
You guys are so welcoming!!! And I agree about flyer talk. I've posted over there a couple times and managed to avoid the snark, but I've seen it happen. The level of knowledge of some of the posters is pretty incredible, but it takes me a while to work up to a post.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but apple pay worked for me for this quarter's chase freedom 5x UR bonus. Between my spouse and I, we have three freedom cards that we use solely for the 5x bonus opportunities. We could have gone the traditional route and just charged gas stations and stuff this quarter, but apple pay was far easier. We just sent each other $1500 back and forth in a few installments and then withdrew it direct to our bank account. You pay apple 3 percent, which is steep, but to knock out the entire quarter's bonus for a few minutes work without leaving the house it was worth it to me. Basically, it's purchasing 22,500 chase for $135.

I don't know whether apple might shut people down for back and forth transferring and withdrawals over a short period. I didn't really research it, but it worked ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter