iMessage complimentary on the Fantasy this past week

The info regarding this was in the WiFi/internet info sheet you can pick up by the wifi desk on deck 3 and it said only iMessage and so only iPhone to iPhone. I was able to message my kids at home and my husband on the ship. We didn’t really use the navigator app to communicate. I was on the Fantasy as well.

I received the sheet at embarkation. It was an insert in the Navigator.

I was on this sailing. I could send iMessages (just text no pics), however my mom could not do anything with her galaxy. I was able to contact only family and friends with iPhones.

Yes, I should have mentioned no photos came through.

Is the iMessage working with non-iPhone but other Apple devices (ie. iPad, iPod)?

The verbiage is "If you are using an Apple device, you may send (and receive) complimentary text messages via iMessage to other Apple users on the ship and back home. An internet package is not required." So it certainly sounds like it will work on an iPad, etc..

I once use iMessage for free on Southwest at 30,000 Ft. Then they fixed the leak in the paywall. I wonder if Disney will do the same.

-Paul

This is intentional rather than a leak.

How did you set up your device, then? Did you have it on Airplane mode with wifi open, but just didn't have to sign in?

This is so awesome! We're sailing on the Fantasy next month and all iPhone users! Nice perk.

Anybody tried to use the walkie-talkie feature on the Apple Watch? DH and I would love to be able to use that next time.

How did you set up your device, then? Did you have it on Airplane mode with wifi open, but just didn't have to sign in?

The instruction sheet tells you to make certain you have the latest version of the DCL app downloaded. Then switch to airplane mode and connect to DCL-Guest network. We didn't have to do anything else....iMessages came through automatically. It also cautions that you may receive notifications from your other wifi enabled apps but won't be charged if you don't open those apps or web links. We loved being able to communicate so easily. And it was awesome to be able to text DS1 who was not sailing with us as well as friends including one who was taking care of our dog.

This is so awesome! We're sailing on the Fantasy next month and all iPhone users! Nice perk.
Lucky you! Happy sailing. :boat:

Hmm. I can see my kids opening the other apps and then saying "I forgot" after they've racked up charges. :(

Wouldn't it work to make sure they have turned off notifications from all other apps before boarding? And the sheet did say "may." For what it's worth, I didn't receive any other notifications but I know that isn't really worth anything! :rotfl:

If your phone is in airplane mode with WiFi on and you have not purchased the Disney cruise WiFi package you may get notifications(I did) but I ignored them. I just used my iPhone for IMessage and was charged nothing extra.

I think one downside to this is that teens with Android phones are more likely to be left out of group chats from the friends they meet at the club. My daughters group used the DCL app to arrange meetups. If I had to guess, the majority of teens have iphones, which could result in the others being left out since the teens are used to using Imessage and it probably works better than the DCL app.

Android as of 2018 had 54% of mobile phone operating platforms in the US and an 81% market share in the world!
True, but more variety in software versions in use than apple, and also more variety in hardware.

Though, I think the more likely reason only apple is because apple gave them $$$ to promote apple on board.

True, but more variety in software versions in use than apple, and also more variety in hardware.

Though, I think the more likely reason only apple is because apple gave them $$$ to promote apple on board.

You’re right about the narrower range of software and hardware making developing for iOS easier. I don’t think that Apple had to engage in any pay-for-play because iPhone users in the aggregate are wealthier and generate more revenue overall than Android users; given that it’s easier AND more lucrative, it’s much more likely for an app to be developed for iOS first.

You’re right about the narrower range of software and hardware making developing for iOS easier. I don’t think that Apple had to engage in any pay-for-play because iPhone users in the aggregate are wealthier and generate more revenue overall than Android users; given that it’s easier AND more lucrative, it’s much more likely for an app to be developed for iOS first.
If it's free, you're the product not the customer. DCL doesn't profit from this. In fact, they'd be better off improving the text feature on their app, which all their customers can use.

But apple can market iphone with this.

That's my suspicion. Apple is doing something with DCL. I wonder, actually, if they're doing it on all cruise lines? It's either that, or DCL is testing it to find a way to monetize the feature.

If it's free, you're the product not the customer. DCL doesn't profit from this. In fact, they'd be better off improving the text feature on their app, which all their customers can use.

But apple can market iphone with this.

Oops, I confused two threads and started talking about the app.

Last edited:
I was on the Fantasy from the 11-18th and they did not offer the iMessage so I'm guessing they were just testing it out on the cruise prior to me. It's cool they're integrating more options. Still waiting for iMessage to come to Android but it will never happen.

I know since we switched to Android I have trouble finding phone accessories at Disney Springs, etc. I can find them online but not AT Disney; hey must have a deal with Apple, much like the deal with Coke--they don't care about making Pepsi drinkers happy, or Android users.

Hmm. I can see my kids opening the other apps and then saying "I forgot" after they've racked up charges. :(

If the internet packages themselves still work the same way, then this shouldn't happen. You have to go to the Connect@Sea website and physically sign in to connect to your internet package. Notifications can still come through without an active package, but if you aren't "logged in" to it, accidentally opening a notification should have no effect (at the most it should open whatever app it is and give a "no connection" error or something similar).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter